• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
So I backed up my phone on iTunes before installing, should I do a clean install and then resync it?

Vyer

This shit is running very slowly on my iPhone 5. Off to a rough start. I had high hopes, too. Hopefully there's some optimization incoming.

Restart your 5 or maybe do a restore, because that would be odd. It runs very smoothly on a 5.

Manp

i can't even start the download... them apple servers :|

i'm downloading itunes 11.1 at a speed that would have been considered slow even in 1998

Make sure it is set to automatic downloads in settings -> itunes & appstore

however keep in mind it won't update immediately. It updates at certain times and on wifi (unless you check it up update on cellular data also)

That doesn't seem to affect every app. Some do it automatically whilst others I have an option to do so (update) when I check the App Store.

X-Frame

How exactly does the background updating feature work?

What tells iOS 7 to start auto-refreshing my apps? I assume the exact behavior that triggers that is still unknown, and do apps have the allow that or can it happen automatically?

e.g. Will Reeder 2 be able to auto-fresh my RSS feeds right immediately if I use it enough?

Don't know why I expected this to go smoothly. It is a cluster fuck as always. Going to get worse once people get off work/school and start updating at home.

Verify the update damn you!

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Oh how odd
Just looked at my download and it said something went wrong (I think its because I disconnected my phone) so I reconnected and restarted and now its saying it will take ~40 mins
Not bad

How exactly does the background updating feature work?

What tells iOS 7 to start auto-refreshing my apps? I assume the exact behavior that triggers that is still unknown, and do apps have the allow that or can it happen automatically?

e.g. Will Reeder 2 be able to auto-fresh my RSS feeds right immediately if I use it enough?

Go to settings, general, then background app refresh. You can change what apps update.

I like it. Very Android-ey. Safari is great. Hope the iPad 5 is something to write home about. Would love to finally upgrade.

Once you're done, open safari, and then use the pinch gesture to go back to the home screen. Tell me if you see anything wrong. It's kind of janky when I do it on mine, like it hiccups on loading the wallpaper.
Yeah it stutters. But it seems to do that with every app that I've tried.

waypoetic

Banned
The download was no problemo but the install isn't going as smoothly... I'll keep on hitting the install button until this error goes away

Dynoro

Verifying update for 2 mins....software update unavailable
Think I might just give up and try tomorrow morning

Kevitivity

I did an OTA install on my iPhone 5 and iPad this morning (Los Angeles). No problems. Took about 15 minutes per device.

So far I really like the new, clean look. LOVE the new multitasking interface.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I've updated my iPad mini. Biggest change so far is that I can't seem to change my wallpaper from my photos. Only finding it through settings. Which sucks, because I like to change it about 4-6x per day, depending on the weather and my mood and what I'm doing at the time.

Also, the scaling doesn't work for setting photos to the BG. Only pan. Forces a 'fit' setting. Hope that gets fixed before ANYTHING ELSE :)

bmdubya

Neo Member

Yep I'm having the same problem. Took forever to unpack the update, now I can't install. This is awesome.

Talon

I've updated my iPad mini. Biggest change so far is that I can't seem to change my wallpaper from my photos. Only finding it through settings. Which sucks, because I like to change it about 4-6x per day, depending on the weather and my mood and what I'm doing at the time.

Also, the scaling doesn't work for setting photos to the BG. Only pan. Forces a 'fit' setting. Hope that gets fixed before ANYTHING ELSE :)
Yep, you can. Just did it.

1. Select the photo.
2. Hit the button on the bottom left
3. On the bottom row is "Use as Wallpaper"

dc89

HAL9000.svg

Look dc89, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

You got any pills for me?

• First Law: A robot must never harm a human being or, through inaction, allow any harm to come to a human.
  • Second Law: A robot must obey the orders given to them by human beings, except where such orders violate the First Law.
  • Third Law: A robot must protect its own existence unless this violates the First or Second Laws.

Pretty cool.

Yeah it's pretty clever.

Definitely not trying to make this Android vs iOS but Google Now has been doing this for some time now. Took me a second to realize what had happened the first time I saw it.

As far as iOS 7 goes, feels GREAT on the ipad, but feels really cramped on the phone.

Well I've never owned an Android device but I was informed by other channels it's done it for some time. I only noticed it this morning, randomly!

Phreaker

That's what mine was doing, but after the 3rd or 4th time it rebooted and started installing.

Formosa

This might be a stupid question to ask but, the install will need 3.1gb of space on my iPhone 4S, but I only have a 16gb iPhone, so after the install does it mean that I will only have roughly 13gb of space for my iPhone?

Talon

This might be a stupid question to ask but, the install will need 3.1gb of space on my iPhone 4S, but I only have a 16gb iPhone, so after the install does it mean that I will only have roughly 13gb of space for my iPhone?
Download is between 700 MB and 1 GB. The 3.1 GB is there because it needs to unpack and then install. Afterwards, you'll have most of the 3 GBs back.

Sarye

That doesn't seem to affect every app. Some do it automatically whilst others I have an option to do so (update) when I check the App Store.

are the apps that doesn't update automatically big in size? Only other thing I can think of as I believe there's still a size restriction on cellular data

from the verge piece
If you’ve got an unusual name, or have friends with rare surnames, you’ve probably laughed at Siri’s innate inability to pronounce words that aren’t in the dictionary. Now you can call out when words are mispronounced and train Siri to say them correctly. Just say “that’s not how you pronounce that,” run through a short exercise, and Siri should get things right from then on.

is this working for anyone? Siri tells me he "doesn't know what I mean with "that’s not how you pronounce that""
Could it be because I have Siri set to english (UK)?

CoilShot

I finally got it to verify and its wonderful so far. I'm really liking iTunes Radio and the other changes. I still haven't discovered everything yet but so far so good.

sarcastor

Yep I'm having the same problem. Took forever to unpack the update, now I can't install. This is awesome.

this happened to my ipad mini couple of times and then I plugged it into the computer and updated through Itunes and it worked fine :\

ios7 is a bit slower on my Ipad mini though :(

Why is it now grouping all of my mail into "all mailboxes"? I want it to show mail accounts separately like it always did. How can I do that?

Top Bottom