• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Blackhead

Redarse
From Anandtech
Unfortunately, I was unable to test Flow as the iPad version of the keyboard does not have it. This is due to memory limitations imposed on extensions. The functionality and visual effects for SwiftKey Flow when run on an iPad exceeds this amount of RAM which is why only the version for iPhone and iPod Touch includes it. Flow is most useful in a one handed situation on a phone so I'm not heartbroken by its omission in the iPad version. That being said, I am still hopeful that SwiftKey will be able to do further optimization to eventually bring Flow to iPad.

RAAAAAMMMMMMM
7AvcmVq.gif

BearPawB

Banned
Is this normal?

A random app icon appeared in the corner like the camera app, if I swipe it the app opens. Is this normal? If so how do I remove it?

That is one of the new features that lets you do things like start an email on your ipad and finish it on your phone.

RevoDS

Is this normal?

A random app icon appeared in the corner like the camera app, if I swipe it the app opens. Is this normal? If so how do I remove it?

It's Handoff. You used this app on another device, your phone detected that and you can swipe up to pick up where you left off.

And yes, it can be disabled in Settings > General > Handoff and Suggested apps

Is this normal?

Yeah, you can swipe up to launch that app. It's based on your location, it works similar to Handoff, so it'll show up when you're near certain places. You can turn it off in Settings - General - Handoff & Suggested Apps.

zert

That is one of the new features that lets you do things like start an email on your ipad and finish it on your phone.

It's Handoff. You used this app on another device, your phone detected that and you can swipe up to pick up where you left off.

And yes, it can be disabled in Settings > General > Handoff and Suggested apps

That's handoff. You can turn it off in Settings - General - Handoff.

Thanks! Now I feel old u_u

jstripes

Banned
Is this normal?

Is that icon for a store? Because some store apps, like Starbucks, will appear there when you're in or near one of their locations.

bobawesome

Oh man, all the emotes in the Japanese Romaji keyboard...
( ̄(工) ̄)★彡ε=ε=ε=ε=ε=ε=┌(; ̄◇ ̄)┘

Estocolmo

Unless I'm mistaken I don't think there will be a standalone iCloud Drive app, but any app can access the data so you can just install a finder-like app to manage it.

This is annoying. I understand the idea that the iCloud is suppose to be something in the cloud, but they dont need to take it literally to the point that the cloud content is invisible to manage in a central app.

Guess Who

Banned
Testing out SwiftKey now. Swype is less than stellar on iPad, the keyboard is too large to comfortably gesture and I can thumb type faster.

TylerD

As a user with only one Apple device (my work iPhone 5) that doesn't use any Apple services this doesn't seem to be that much of an upgrade. There is no doubt it is still iOS and relatively boring IMO. Can't justify moving away from my Lumia 920 and WP 8.1 for iPhone 6\Plus.

Maybe iOS 9 will be "new".

This is annoying. I understand the idea that the iCloud is suppose to be something in the cloud, but they dont need to take it literally to the point that the cloud content is invisible to manage in a central app.

It may not be as good as having a dedicated app on your phone or iPad but you can manage it from your Mac or PC or icloud.com. Also, I'm sure there are iOS file managers that either have already been updated to include iCloud support or will soon.

Noema

Swiftkey is amazingly accurate. Even with weird stuff..

It's eerily accurate. I don't know if the ios version does this but on Android it can even predict the emojis you use when saying certain things to certain people. You can even give it access to your Evernote, gmail, Facebook and Twitter accounts and it'll scan everything you've written so it can more accurately learn your habits. I can understand if some people with privacy concerns might want to skip that feature though.

Also, as someone who frequently switches back and forth between languages Swiftkey is awesome since it detects language on the fly and doesn't force me to keep changing keyboard language for autocorrect like the standard ios or Android keyboards.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'd encourage everyone to give Spotlight some love. On my 5s it's stopped hitching completely. I now throw all but my most used apps into a general folder and just start them through spotlight.

Imagine if there were some kind of separate screen for all your installed apps, letting you keep only your most used ones on the home screen. Imagine that.

(I really don't understand why this hasn't happened yet. They've "borrowed" so many other things from Android already, so why not this? Maybe they just don't want to admit to yet another thing Android does smarter than iOS.)

Am I wrong, but I thought there was a way to automatically save photos and videos to the phone from Messages. Like, someone texts me a video or photo and it automatically gets saved in my Photos app so that when I connect my phone to my Mac, it gets uploaded to iPhoto automatically.

kaskade

I used to use swiftkey on android and really liked it. I'm downloading it now, I guess I've gotten so used to the Apple one that I never really cared to have it back. I'll probably realize how much I've missed it.

Enco

It's eerily accurate. I don't know if the ios version does this but on Android it can even predict the emojis you use when saying certain things to certain people. You can even give it access to your Evernote, gmail, Facebook and Twitter accounts and it'll scan everything you've written so it can more accurately learn your habits. I can understand if some people with privacy concerns might want to skip that feature though.

Also, as someone who frequently switches back and forth between languages Swiftkey is awesome since it detects language on the fly and doesn't force me to keep changing keyboard language for autocorrect like the standard ios or Android keyboards.
As nice as that would be I don't think I'll give them access to everything. I doubt they'll do anything dodgy but I'll stick with the vanilla keyboard.

Imagine if there were some kind of separate screen for all your installed apps, letting you keep only your most used ones on the home screen. Imagine that.

(I really don't understand why this hasn't happened yet. They've "borrowed" so many other things from Android already, so why not this? Maybe they just don't want to admit to yet another thing Android does smarter than iOS.)
Nah I don't like that system of dumping everything without any sort of organisation.

Yep, I've already replaced the default iOS keyboard with it.
Yup! I've switched to the light theme though. Dark seems to off in most apps.

Top Bottom