• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Glad Apple is opening some things up but man do these third party keyboards seem creepy as hell. It feels like I just openly installed a keylogger on my phone. I'm not sure any level of better prediction or swipe typing is worth that.

Swype seems pretty good and it doesn't seem to need any internet connection.

Mathezar

Just updated to iOS 8 on my iPad 2, it runs horrible, very unresponsive. Disappointed, iOS 7 ran almost flawlessly.
Yeah older hardware and all, but pressing the home button should not result in going to the homescreen seconds later, should be near instant.

dork

Banned
The control center color is hideous, They tried that once before and then reverted it. Hope they revert again

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's a bit funny seeing people so excited to finally be able to switch to a different keyboard. I mean, I'm happy for you guys. It's about time Apple started letting go of some of their "we know what's best for you" mentality. They still have a ways to go in that regard, but yeah. Baby steps.

I'm afraid to upgrade my 4S...will wait for impressions.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/17/if-you-have-an-iphone-4s-you-might-want-to-hold-back-on-ios-8/

iPhone 4S:

screen-shot-2014-09-17-at-16-45-07.png

Glad Apple is opening some things up but man do these third party keyboards seem creepy as hell. It feels like I just openly installed a keylogger on my phone. I'm not sure any level of better prediction or swipe typing is worth that.

just be glad the app actually asks for permissions. because outside the Apple ecosystem, it doesn't ask, it just attaches itself.

Yup. That's why I already uninstalled. It's creepy.

Enco

They don't work in password fields so you have some semblance of safety.

Plus I doubt they would get much useful info. Anything you type into Google is already tracked so I wouldn't worry too much.

LeleSocho

Banned
I'm too scared to upgrade my 4S...will wait for impressions.

Sincerely i would stay on 7, it feels more sluggish and the coolest feature (continuity/handsoff) isn't available for us 4Sers. If i could i would revert to 7...
Upgrade only if you need extensions and widgets.

Nasser

Soo mad at the fact that I have to delete most stuff in my phone to install this. 16 GB iPhones aren't good anymore I suppose.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Looks like a lot of planned obsolescence up in here. I have a 5, but I want to wait for a jailbreak anyway so maybe it'll all be ironed out by then.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Anyone know how to turn off the locked rotation in iMessage when you take a picture on ipad?

Ninja Dom

I installed iOS 8 on my iPad 4.

So far, it's only okay. Can't see too many earth shattering changes. But I tell you what I DON'T like:

- Don't like the disappearance of the Camera Roll. Now to look back through older pics I took with the iPad camera I have to look in Collections. Which has every photo in the Photos app in it.

- Don't like Safari showing you Recently Visited sites when you press the bookmarks button

- Don't like how easy it is to delete emails by swiping on the mail

- Don't like the behaviour of the tabs as you scroll through pages in Safari (iPad).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Requiring full access to whatever you type is kind of creepy.

I don't understand this. You're installing a predictive keyboard, and you're creeped out because it needs to actually know what you're typing to work? Eh, ok.

just be glad the app actually asks for permissions. because outside the Apple ecosystem, it doesn't ask, it just attaches itself.

"Outside the Apple ecosystem", as in... what? Android? Android apps most certainly do ask for permissions that you have to accept before installing them. Nothing just "attaches itself". Or maybe that's not what you're talking about.

I don't understand this. You're installing a predictive keyboard, and you're creeped out because it needs to actually know what you're typing? Eh, ok.

As the warning says when you turn that on you're allowing the developer to transmit anything you type including passwords, credit card info, etc. I'm pretty sure nothing will happen but it's still kind creepy.

Sincerely i would stay on 7, it feels more sluggish and the coolest feature (continuity/handsoff) isn't available for us 4Sers. If i could i would revert to 7...
Upgrade only if you need extensions and widgets.

Okay thanks.

Reading that 9to5 article, I'll just hold off and wait for my shiny 6 to arrive in a few weeks.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
As the warning says when you turn that on you're allowing the developer to transmit anything you type including passwords, credit card info, etc. I'm pretty sure nothing will happen but it's still kind creepy.

Well, yeah, they could theoretically do that, I suppose. As I said, a keyboard app naturally needs to know what you're typing to work. Otherwise it would just be a dumb bunch of letter keys. It's about trusting the dev, like with so many other apps you probably use on a daily basis.

So I have a question. I've seen people mentioning 1password app in this thread. Can someone educate me on why that's better than iCloud key chain?

I downloaded the app. But from what I can tell you need to use the browser within the app take advantage of the auto filling function.

I use safari and chrome too much to start using a new one.

BearPawB

Banned
Havent been able to get the swipe on swiftkey to work.
Do i have to do anything in particular?

*oh you can't do it on the ipad? Weird

Top Bottom