• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

How do you respond to a text from the lock screen? Am I just missing something or can you still not do it?

why would you respond to a text in a lock screen. that would be a security flaw.

if you want to open up the app so that you can answer, specifically swipe the notification on the lock screen, and it will open that specific app after you enter your pin, on that specific message and you can reply

They fucked with the photo album. Is there a way to see all the photos on one page without the dates separating them?

Go to the Photos App
Chose Albums
Chose Recently Added

That is all your recent photos in one folder where ALL your photos will reside from most recent to oldest

Okay, so I have 1Password installed and the extension enabled, but when I try to use it in Safari, none of my logins are available to select. What am I doing wrong?

HBP

How do you enable iCloud Photo Drive on iOS 8 when I go into iCloud and Photos there is no option to turn it on (my mac is also running Yosemite).

I didn't need to turn it on for Swype. I'm assuming the difference is SwiftKey is uploading all of your text to it's own servers. It's not so creepy that I won't be using it but I think it's fair to call it a bit creepy.

You don't need to turn it on for SwiftKey either. As far as I can tell, you only use its cloud functionality (which you log into via either Google or Facebook) to:

1) Give it some data to trawl through to improve its ability to learn how you type
2) To back up that knowledge and your preferences so you can use the app across multiple devices

If you don't do that, it will still learn through your typing, it will just be limited to that device.

Shame Swiftkey doesn't work in Dutch. The Swipe intelligence is sick.

Does Handoff and Continuity already work with Yosemite public beta?

I'll post this again every once in a while since people are having trouble finding it... all the keyboards currently available (that I know about)

Fleksy: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id520337246
Swype: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id916365675
Minuum: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id914968934
TouchPal: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id909654683
SwiftKey: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id911813648
Color Keyboards: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id913848199

doing god's work son. thanks, wouldn't need this if the search function from the app pulled up the app.

Also guys, don't link your fb account to swiftkey. why would you do that? just hit skip.

Hoo-doo

Banned
One of the most boring iOS updates i've experienced.

Still good, of course, but I was struggling to find anything 'new' to tinker with. Previous updates had me engaged for far longer on pure novelty factor.

armv

you having the problem when you go back into the text and pull up keyboard it doesnt shift the texts down?
Im going to do a reload of the entire thing once the servers are done being hammered

I am having this exact same issue. Hopefully it'll be addressed soon.

dork

Banned

Still good, of course, but I was struggling to find anything 'new' to tinker with. Previous updates had me engaged for far longer on pure novelty factor.

I agree, but being able to respond to a text without closing whatever it is youre doing is great

The OS layer has changed., its what apps do with it is when you see the difference

-griffy-

Banned
you having the problem when you go back into the text and pull up keyboard it doesnt shift the texts down?
Im going to do a reload of the entire thing once the servers are done being hammered

Yes, I'm having this issue too. The keyboard keeps covering the most recent messages instead of pushing the text up.

Majine

Banned

It's an "Under the hood" OS more than the previous ones. It will pay off in the months to come and in the long run it will change how we use these devices I think.

Hate the way ipad Safari handles the bookmarks in landscape. Much preferred how the bookmarks would disappear after one was selected. Now it takes another click to close them. They've moved the bookmarks icon to the left now also.

Imagine using it during the beta with no new apps. It's all about extensions and widgets.

Am I missing something, or does swiftkey not allow you to drag your finger in iOS like I can on Android to create a word?

LOL, thats the whole point of swiftkey. You might still be using the default keyboard. hit the world button to change keyboards. Also make sure you allow full access in the Keyboard settings or else it won't work.

This is one of the biggest updates in terms of enabling way more to be done in the OS. But it doesn't have anything new and flashy upfront like multitasking or CC.

DOWN

Banned
Predictions in iMessages is really funny sometimes.

Like typing "love you too" the suggestions were 'much' or 'baby' while i was typing to my friend

ramyeon

Go to the Photos App
Chose Albums
Chose Recently Added

That is all your recent photos in one folder where ALL your photos will reside from most recent to oldest
No it's not. There's obviously some kind of cut off... There are locally stored photos on my phone that don't show up in there since I assume they're too old or something. Getting rid of the camera roll makes no sense. Worst change in iOS8.

Sucks that no third party keyboard supports Korean input. Glad you can change to the Apple keyboards on the fly for that though.

knicks

Yeah....wtf is this that I'm supposed to be so excited about. Four icons that I am going to have to remove some how from the backdoor because they won't let me delete it. Some stupid word guesser, and the audio thing which sounds like shit to be honest. Nothing to see here.

knicks

I agree, but being able to respond to a text without closing whatever it is youre doing is great

This was done through the first iPhone jail break ever.
KuGsj.gif

Enco

Yeah....wtf is this that I'm supposed to be so excited about. Four icons that I am going to have to remove some how from the backdoor because they won't let me delete it. Some stupid word guesser, and the audio thing which sounds like shit to be honest. Nothing to see here.
Lol

Only an update that gives apps power to do bigger and better things.

Top Bottom