• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just installed the SwiftKey keyboard and it's pretty cool,but it's gonna take some getting used to because it's such a new thing for me. Rift now it would probably take less time to type but I'm picking it up pretty fast.

Majine

Banned
Havent been able to get the swipe on swiftkey to work.
Do i have to do anything in particular?

Settings - Keyboard - Keyboard - Add New Keyboard - Select your downloaded Keyboard

Bring up the Keyboard - press globe - Select your keyboard

Swype is pretty cool but these 3rd party keyboards are pretty ugly design wise. I dont know how I've gone without Swype all this time though, works really well :O

So I have a question. I've seen people mentioning 1password app in this thread. Can someone educate me on why that's better than iCloud key chain?

I downloaded the app. But from what I can tell you need to use the browser within the app take advantage of the auto filling function.

I use safari and chrome too much to start using a new one.

Not true. One of the big parts of iOS 8 is that apps can have extensions within the OS itself. Look in the 1Password app and go to the help section. It'll show you how to use it within Safari. It's pretty easy.

Daffy Duck

So how does family sharing work if you already have money on your kids accounts?

Would it be wasted money?

Is this update download taking forever (9 hour) for anyone else?

Yes, mine was around 3 hours.

I started it at 17:57 and it stayed at 3 hours for ages. I ended up restarting my phone, it then resumed and said preparing update. Eventually I was all done 21:04

So...with Swiftkey-esque keyboards, is the trick to tap-type until it learns your style? I've tried these things on Android and hated them because I swiped from the start, which dramatically slowed me down because every other word was wrong. I've just tried Swiftkey for iOS and the same happens.

It's probably early days.. But Safari is refreshing a lot less for me when multiple tabs are open.

Honestly, I didn't even know that was an issue until you said that. I started noticing pages that would refresh and change settings from the desktop version of the site to the mobile version, which looks horrible.

Has the music app been fixed? I refuse to believe that anyone thinks that thing works the way it's supposed to.

iOS 8 benchmarks from Ars

LrXbr80.png

2OmYkCG.png

zqPJpBV.png

sc34772.png

desku

Are Swiftkey/Swype/Quicktype only out in the US at the moment? I can't seem to find them in the UK Apple Store.

Also, are there any apps that can record the amount of steps I take without a FitBit/Jawbone/whatever?

How do I enable swiping in swiftkey?

Or is fleksy better to use?

Updated my iPod touch 5 to iOS 8 and it seems to run to fine so far....

I KNEW I WASNT CRAZY:

Storing photos and videos (beta 3) - iOS 8 beta 3 added a new option to automatically save the quick audio and video messages that were introduced with the new OS. Normally, these messages are deleted after a short period of time to save space. And in beta 4, photos and videos save settings were split into two separate options.
automaticallykeepmessages.jpg

I guess they took it out of the GM. Bummer, because I really liked automatically saving photo attachments people send via Messages.

So uh the photo stream and camera roll albums are gone? Everything now goes into recently added?

I'm a little thrown off by this too. I liked camera roll because at least I know all my photos are in there and I can delete from there.

Where are you guys finding Swype? All i see is a knockoff Swipe.

Kyonashi

Are Swiftkey/Swype/Quicktype only out in the US at the moment? I can't seem to find them in the UK Apple Store.

Also, are there any apps that can record the amount of steps I take without a FitBit/Jawbone/whatever?

I couldn't find any keyboard apps on the UK store either.

noomi

I'm a little thrown off by this too. I liked camera roll because at least I know all my photos are in there and I can delete from there.

Where are you guys finding Swype? All i see is a knockoff Swipe.

Have to click link on iPhone and it will take you to the App Store page. Check page 13 of this thread.

And yes.... Was nice having a cam roll album, going to miss that one.

One more thing.... I thought when you edit a photo on one device it updates all of them. Took a photo on my iPhone, edited it.... Photo stream shows it, but not the edits I made on my ipad

How else would a keyboard work?

Some of you are getting way too caught up on their lawyer language.

I didn't need to turn it on for Swype. I'm assuming the difference is SwiftKey is uploading all of your text to it's own servers. It's not so creepy that I won't be using it but I think it's fair to call it a bit creepy.

-griffy-

Banned

It's a little jarring for me too, that's pretty much exclusively how I browsed through all my photos. But really, if you just click the photos button on the bottom instead of albums, you will see ALL your photos on your device, and being able to quickly browse through thumbnails by holding a finger down and moving around is probably quicker in practice than scrolling through a giant album with every pic.

Raistlin

I just installed the SwiftKey keyboard and it's pretty cool,but it's gonna take some getting used to because it's such a new thing for me. Rift now it would probably take less time to type but I'm picking it up pretty fast.

Main thing you have to get used to is switching to regular typing mid-thought when you want to use a non-dictionary word.

Once you get into the groove, it's much faster that typing straight through overall.

MicH

A few things I've noticed: (4S)

1. The SwiftKey keyboard takes ages to open for me, but works amazingly well with the swipe functionality!
2. The 1Password extension in Safari is af absolutely phenomenal and what I've been waiting for.
3. There had to be something new about the Safari scrolling. It feels so much smother!
4. I do notice some slowdown on my 4S, but it isn't that bad for me at least
5. Swiping is awesome :p

Majine

Banned
Didn't they delay the iCloud photo library? It works well on both my devices, they sync eachother. What's the problem?

Kuroyume

Banned
So many fucking icons on the homescreen now. Like, that shit goes on two the second page even without anything installed by you personally.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My update has been 'requested' for about three hours now. I assume apple are queueing people to reduce bandwidth pressure but it is taking a lot longer than I expected. I hoped to kick it off before going to bed

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Ummmm I was updating on my PC and i got the error that the phone couldn't be updated, and now my iPhone 5 is stuck with the progress bar and the apple logo....should I restart it? Probably not right?

Top Bottom