• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

I'm impressed with how easy the upgrade process has gone. I've updated both my iPad and iPod Touch with zero issues, unlike in years past when the download would time out.

As others have said, not a super-flash upgrade, but some nice functionality none the less, and it opens up a lot for the future. I'm not going to update my iPhone 4S, as I've heard it runs poorly on that phone, and I'm two days away from my iPhone 6.

Majine

Banned
Why don't they sync messages conversations? I'm not talking about the SMS relay, it's the iMessages. I did a clean install recently and everything was gone.

i havnt had an iphone since iphone 4s so can someone tell me this.

in ios8 when i receive a message/miss call does the lock screen still provide a preview of the message/caller id? i just want to be notified i received a message/call i dont want there to be detailed info on the lock screen

also are there any apps that allow me to lock apps behind a password like there is on android. these 2 are the biggest reasons i have android

DOWN

Banned
Why don't they sync messages conversations? I'm not talking about the SMS relay, it's the iMessages. I did a clean install recently and everything was gone.

I believe only the desktop client syncs all old conversations, likely due to storage use. Any new dialogue should sync between the devices.

BearPawB

Banned
i havnt had an iphone since iphone 4s so can someone tell me this.

in ios8 when i receive a message/miss call does the lock screen still provide a preview of the message/caller id? i just want to be notified i received a message/call i dont want there to be detailed info on the lock screen

also are there any apps that allow me to lock apps behind a password like there is on android. these 2 are the biggest reasons i have android

you could always make it so the info was hidden

LOL, thats the whole point of swiftkey. You might still be using the default keyboard. hit the world button to change keyboards. Also make sure you allow full access in the Keyboard settings or else it won't work.

Nope, I am using Swiftkey @ full access. Not working when trying to drag finger. I checked both the general settings and the swiftkey app settings. Doesn't appear to be anything I can change.

it doesn't work on ipad..

Im confused why Swype works but they couldnt get flow on swiftkey to work.

Thanks, that's the word I was searching for, flow. I'm glad I'm not crazy.

Ambitious

I've got several short delays in Safari, for instance when opening a new tab in the tab list or opening some link in a background tab. It's just a fraction of a second, but nevertheless pretty annoying.

edit: Also when I simply select another tab or when I tap on a bookmark.

No it's not. There's obviously some kind of cut off... There are locally stored photos on my phone that don't show up in there since I assume they're too old or something. Getting rid of the camera roll makes no sense. Worst change in iOS8.

I agree but griffy explained it in an earlier post and now it makes sense to me. Hit the photos button on the bottom left. Now in the upper left, touch "collections"until it says "years". That is basically your camera roll from that point on but separated by years.

I see no reason why they can't still keep a camera roll album for people that are used to that way but whatever.

Majine

Banned
I believe only the desktop client syncs all old conversations, likely due to storage use. Any new dialogue should sync between the devices.
New stuff does sync, it should pull in the old stuff too tho. Skype has a pretty comprehensive history so I don't see what the problem is.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Strange, Amazon app Touch ID support is ONLY on the US store downloaded app, not their internationally available app.

Nope, I am using Swiftkey @ full access. Not working when trying to drag finger. I checked both the general settings and the swiftkey app settings. Doesn't appear to be anything I can change.

Thanks, that's the word I was searching for, flow. I'm glad I'm not crazy.

You are talking about on iPhone, right? Flow totally works for me. It's this orange line in Swype and it's this translucent teal on SwiftKey that shows what letters I swiped thru.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Swype is already in the top 100 paid apps and rising. Clearly this is something people have been waiting for.
Or it's just 99¢ and people are curious. I love the apple keyboard but I'll drop 99¢ to check it out.

Tobe

in the end which is better swift or swype? just download swift and its great. also can i put other apps on the control center?

So far, it doesn't seem more sluggish than iOS 7 on my iPad 3.

Agreed. Running great on my iPad 3 as well.

And for all the talk about adding more RAM to the new iPhone to compensate for Safari tabs refreshing, it seems Safari's performance under iOS 8 is improved as well. At least on my iPad, so far, it has been really good.

•Note: I don't open more than 3 or 4 tabs at any given time.

borghe

Agreed. Running great on my iPad 3 as well.

And for all the talk about adding more RAM to the new iPhone to compensate for Safari tabs refreshing, it seems Safari's performance under iOS 8 is improved as well. At least on my iPad, so far, it has been really good.

•Note: I don't open more than 3 or 4 tabs at any given time.
I "believe" a number of people have commented that tab browsing now experiences noticeably less reloading. Not sure there's been any blogs reporting it yet though.

Anno

If it's sluggish maybe give it some time. My 5s chugged a bit after I installed the GM, I assume just because Spotlight was (re?) indexing stuff. Cleared up after about 30minutes.

ramyeon

I agree but griffy explained it in an earlier post and now it makes sense to me. Hit the photos button on the bottom left. Now in the upper left, touch "collections"until it says "years". That is basically your camera roll from that point on but separated by years.

I see no reason why they can't still keep a camera roll album for people that are used to that way but whatever.
You can do that but then to see an individual photo you need to tap to zoom in several times, it's just a much more inefficient way to browse photos. Especially since in that year view the thumbnails for photos are so tiny.

cjp

Getting a lot more tab reloads on my iPhone 5 now. I only have 2 open and after posting a reply to a different to a topic on a different forum, switching back to GAF causes a reload nearly everytime.

Also not a fan of how notifications can be dismissed from the lockscreen even if all the access from lockscreen stuff is turned off. I have a lockscreen and a passcode for a reason.

So, uh, I can't update right now because I have a tiny 16 GB of storage and I've only got 1.7 GB free. The entire update requires 5.7 GB. Is iOS 8 going to require those 5.7 GB permanently or just for this installation? Because if it's permanently that's a ridiculous amount of storage to take away from the little I already have.

borghe

If it's sluggish maybe give it some time. My 5s chugged a bit after I installed the GM, I assume just because Spotlight was (re?) indexing stuff. Cleared up after about 30minutes.
Truth. After your phone becomes accessible there is still the period where it is restoring all apps from the App Store, directories from your back up along with music, videos, etc. The process takes a lot longer than your device leads you to believe.

So, uh, I can't update right now because I have a tiny 16 GB of storage and I've only got 1.7 GB free. The entire update requires 5.7 GB. Is iOS 8 going to require those 5.7 GB permanently or just for this installation? Because if it's permanently that's a ridiculous amount of storage to take away from the little I already have.

Just for install.

1. Backup to iCloud
2. Delete a ton of shit
3. Install update
4. Restore settings and apps from backup

You'll then be fine.

Swype is #1 on the paid chart. It sucks that there were, and still are, so many shitty knockoffs that don't have functionality they advertise though. I could see it taking a while for people to realize these new keyboard apps actually change the keyboard throughout the OS and aren't just BS.

mulac

"this software update cannot be installed as you need to have at least 6gb free"

WTF. I lose this space for an OS upgrade on my ipad??

borghe

"this software update cannot be installed as you need to have at least 6gb free"

WTF. I lose this space for an OS upgrade on my ipad??
No. It's just like any software upgrade in existence. It needs somewhere to store and run the upgrade from. After it installs it removes the upgrade file.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
LOL, thats the whole point of swiftkey.

Not really. The original thing about SwiftKey was its great word predictions, and how it learned from you. No other keyboard did it quite like that before SK, guessing what you wanted to type in advance. "Flow" (swiping) wasn't added in until much later. But yes, now it's a main feature of course. But Swype was the keyboard that popularized it.

Sky Chief

So is it safe to install this on an iPad Air or is it a repeat of iOS7 garbage on iPads that will not be fixed for months and months? Does Safari actually work this time? I am afraid to install.

Lazslo

I really need Help Gaf: I just tried to update my 5S and out if no where it's stalled and just gives me the "Connect to ITunes" picture. I'm so lost, I tried restarting it several times and it just goes right back to the connect to iTunes picture. Can anyone help me or tell me what's going on? I'm so lost, this has never happened before.

ramyeon

Not sold on the third party keyboards yet... Swiping works better than I expected but it's definitely not faster than the stock keyboard for me yet. Punctuation seems especially clumsy to put in once you get into the groove of swiping.

Top Bottom