• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

The keyboard functionality is buggy to say the least. Every so often it'll switch automatically back to the default keyboard and I have to switch it back. Not a huge deal, but kind of annoying.

SeanR1221

Can someone please explain photos to me now?

On my iPhone it seemed to combine my camera roll with a bunch of photo stream pictures.

So I deleted everything I didn't want

Updated my iPad and now there's a ton of pictures there from my old photo stream.

So I deleted a bunch off of those. But the photos on my iPad do not match the ones on my iPhone. Will they just start syncing up from here on out? It sucks they don't perfectly match.

noomi

So, when you edit a photo on one device it doesn't shown he edit on your other devices in the photo stream? Like iphone and iPad?

I thought that was a big part of ios8

Vyer

Just testing, I'm at 5 tabs and seeing how much it's refreshing. I'm on an iPhone 5.

5 tabs open, I started this post, switched over and read a couple pages of ars iOS 8 review, went and read ESPN mobile's front page, and came back to this tab. No refresh, able to finish this post.

Then I went out completely, opened Facebook, read a few entries then fast switched back here. Still no refresh. So...decent so far.

My wife doesn't have enough space on her 5S for the update. Almost all of her storage is photos. If she backs up all of them to iCloud, deletes them and installs the update, how easy is it to get them all back on the phone after the update? Will they not show cause of the change in the camera roll?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm confused on what the difference between Swype and SwiftKey is.

Two different keyboards that largely do the same things. Try both and see which one you like best. I've mainly used SK out of these two (don't anymore though, as I think Google's default Android keyboard is better these days), but I think the general consensus is that SwiftKey is better at predictions (which is its "thing") while Swype might be better at swiping.

Just testing, I'm at 5 tabs and seeing how much it's refreshing. I'm on an iPhone 5.

5 tabs open, I started this post, switched over and read a couple pages of ars iOS 8 review, went and read ESPN mobile's front page, and came back to this tab. No refresh, able to finish this post.

Then I went out completely, opened Facebook, read a few entries then fast switched back here. Still no refresh. So...decent so far.

I guess it is too early for me to ask you about the battery life on the iPhone 5 post update which will be a the deal breaker for me before I download the update.

Tobe

ok swiftkey is pretty aweome, still dont know which one is better swype or swift. one question tho is how to i answer texts from insinde another app.

tried it while playing puzzles and dragons and it would pop the option. (tried it via whatsapp and regular text msg)

Toki767

ok swiftkey is pretty aweome, still dont know which one is better swype or swift. one question tho is how to i answer texts from insinde another app.

tried it while playing puzzles and dragons and it would pop the option. (tried it via whatsapp and regular text msg)

In my experience with Android, for swyping, Swype is hands down the best. But for predictive typing, Swiftkey wins.

Swype on Android suffers from a lot of faults though. Namely being a much more bloated app than Swiftkey and it uses their own custom Dragon Dictation for voice typing. Not sure how much of that made it onto the iOS version though.

Not really. The original thing about SwiftKey was its great word predictions, and how it learned from you. No other keyboard did it quite like that before SK, guessing what you wanted to type in advance. "Flow" (swiping) wasn't added in until much later. But yes, now it's a main feature of course. But Swype was the keyboard that popularized it.

Thanks for clarifying, I wasn't using swiftkey from the beginning or anything so had no clue that the feature was not originally part of its featureset.

I would still argue that more people care about these keyboards because they "swipe".

lucius

So this update is about 1 GB more than last system, because I got 3.5 GB left on my phone after I did the install with 4.6 free.

Dany

Banned
you having the problem when you go back into the text and pull up keyboard it doesnt shift the texts down?
Im going to do a reload of the entire thing once the servers are done being hammered

Yeah, I don't know why thats happening, the app, swiftkey or ios8. but its happening

ramyeon

It seems a bit redundant for the keyboards to all have app icons... I had imagined they would just install into the settings much like Settings Panes in OSX.

dream

I am so confused by how the photos app works now, and--for that matter--where my photos actually are.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Is the iOS8 update slow as balls for everyone else? I've had it downloading since the morning and it's still nowhere close to being finished.

Feels more stable than 7 when it was released. Still trying to find all the new things added.

I can't wait to try out hey Siri tonight when I charge my phone.

calder

Is the iOS8 update slow as balls for everyone else? I've had it downloading since the morning and it's still nowhere close to being finished.

I just cancelled it here - 37 hours left after 30 minutes. Barely going at all, and I usually get over 5M/s from Apple.

I'll try it again later.

EDIT: actually just cancelled the download and tried it again a few minutes later and it went normal speeds. Done in like 10 minutes.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Anyone can explain to me how i went from ~2gb of storage on the iphone, tried to save it on icloud with the apps, then it mentionned i didnt have enough storage (wat), but the thing is that it filled the memory of my iphone to the point where there's nothing left...

What the hell happened? How to i free up space?

Hiko

Banned
Someone please help me.
I downloaded the update through itunes on my computer since my phone didn't have enough space. But when it was about to install (the phone is showing the blue itunes logo with the lightning cable on the screen), itunes keeps "quitting unexpectedly". It opens if I unplug the phone, but not when plugged in. I'm guessing it's because I'm using the itunes 12 beta. WHAT DO I DO?

Vyer

I guess it is too early for me to ask you about the battery life on the iPhone 5 post update which will be a the deal breaker for me before I download the update.

Yeah. I'm probably the wrong person to ask as I have a 2 1/2 hour commute round trip each day and I have the phone plugged in during that time so battery life isn't much of a concern. I probably won't do any testing till I get my 6.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I am so confused by how the photos app works now, and--for that matter--where my photos actually are.
Just the camera roll album that's gone.

Recently added = last 30 days.

If you want an album with all your photos again you can create one. Otherwise everything is in the timeline in "Moments".

Someone please help me.
I downloaded the update through itunes on my computer since my phone didn't have enough space. But when it was about to install (the phone is showing the blue itunes logo with the lightning cable on the screen), itunes keeps "quitting unexpectedly". It opens if I unplug the phone, but not when plugged in. I'm guessing it's because I'm using the itunes 12 beta. WHAT DO I DO?
Easy fix, remove iTunes from your system (google has directions) and re-install iTunes 11 from Apple's website. After you complete the update, update iTunes.

ELAMOR

Someone please help me.
put the iphone in dfu mode

In case anyone else is having trouble, you need to reset your contact photos for them to be full screen if you are still having issues. That got all of mine to be full screen when people call.

Hiko

Banned
Easy fix, remove iTunes from your system (google has directions) and re-install iTunes 11 from Apple's website. After you complete the update, update iTunes.

This won't affect my iphone backups will it? I found some instructions that said I had to delete old itunes libraries from the music folder.

Pappasman

Is there a way to see all pictures in the album view? Not really sure why they seem to have removed it and replaced it with recently added.

So my friend has an iPhone 5. Installed Swype, but when you try to switch to it, the keyboard just completely disappears. Any ideas?

It works fine on my 5c.

Top Bottom