• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Weather app works a bit differently now, instead of tapping to get more info you have to scroll all the way down. The extra info is more detailed now too.

Oh Swype how I've missed you from my old Android days, gonna take some getting used to.

Is anyone else's imessage screwed up? I'm texting people and it's being sent as texts.

ramyeon

I feel like my battery life has definitely read taken a hit... Been using the GM since it came out and I'm finding myself charging my iPhone 5 almost twice a day now.

Hiko

Banned
Easy fix, remove iTunes from your system (google has directions) and re-install iTunes 11 from Apple's website. After you complete the update, update iTunes.

Ok, I deleted itunes 12 and installed itunes 11. Itunes 11 won't open because it says the itunes library was created by a newer version of itunes.

Somebody please help. I really need my phone working today.

SuperPac

In case anyone else is having trouble, you need to reset your contact photos for them to be full screen if you are still having issues. That got all of mine to be full screen when people call.

How do you reset these exactly? I don't see any setting that sounds like it would do this.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I just cancelled it here - 37 hours left after 30 minutes. Barely going at all, and I usually get over 5M/s from Apple.

I'll try it again later.

EDIT: actually just cancelled the download and tried it again a few minutes later and it went normal speeds. Done in like 10 minutes.

Okay dumb question, how do you cancel it when the download has already started? I'm not seeing any options to do so on my iPad.

SeanR1221

Ugh. Messages still spotty on the iPad for me. SMS don't come through, no sound with the notification. On my iPhone a bunch of messages popped up at once and didn't alert me.

Hiko

Banned
Oh god. I got itunes 11 to open by using in older version of the itunes library file. BUT NOW IT'S TELLING ME I HAVE TO RESTORE TO FACTORY SETTINGS AND THAT ALL OF MY DATA WILL BE ERASED. WTF DO I DO.

Pastry

Banned
Oh god this SwiftKey thing is seriously going to take some getting used to. It's some nifty stuff for sure though.

Furyous

I'm overwhelmed with all this choice and need ideas for new items to add to share sheets. Obviously a share to instapaper button is a must. However, what comes after that? Are there app specific share sheets or just one big general share sheet? How do I manage all of this?

I need more time to dig into this OS to form a full opinion.

Hiko

Banned
You still have your iTunes backups though right?

How am I supposed to check? The only thing I deleted was the itunes 12 application itself.

Ok, so I found where the backups are stored. Library/application support/mobilesync/backups. There's two folders in there that are just a random string of numbers and each is full of a bunch of files. Does that mean I'm safe? If I erase and restore the iphone like itunes is telling me to do, will it then automatically restore from the latest backup?

giga

I'm overwhelmed with all this choice and need ideas for new items to add to share sheets. Obviously a share to instapaper button is a must. However, what comes after that? Are there app specific share sheets or just one big general share sheet? How do I manage all of this?

I need more time to dig into this OS to form a full opinion.

Snapchat, for photos. 1Password for passwords. Manage with the more button.

ouchx100

I didn't dig through this thread but is there any reason I shouldn't upgrade my iPad mini and iPhone 4s? I remember peoples iphone 4 getting slower than balls with ios7

Charcoal

Swiftkey is the one thing I missed from my S4 when I switched back to IOS. Now that I have it back, I can confidently say, the iPhone is the phone Jesus would carry.

Ljwinter

Banned
What's the point of "do not disturb" in messages when you still get banner notifications, badges and they show in your NC? All it does is mute the messages which can be done with the MUTE BUTTON on the side of the phone.

Pastry

Banned
What's the point of "do not disturb" in messages when you still get banner notifications, badges and they show in your NC? All it does is mute the messages which can be done with the MUTE BUTTON on the side of the phone.

With do not disturb it turns off vibrate, right? I don't care about banners and stuff when I'm sleeping but vibrate wakes me up sometime.

MicH

It also turns of vibration for all types of messages and calls. Really nice when you literally don't want to be disturbed (like sleeping). I always have it on at night

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
iOS8 broke all our games due a bug on XCode Beta lolz

jts

...hate me...
So my friend has an iPhone 5. Installed Swype, but when you try to switch to it, the keyboard just completely disappears. Any ideas?

It works fine on my 5c.
I get the same behaviour as your friend's on my iPhone 5 as well. What a waste of a perfectly good dollar.

If you guys haven't seen yet, Apple updated the App Store featured section a day early to feature all kinds of apps with iOS 8 integration. It's a pretty comprehensive list.

hyp

anyone get Family Sharing to work? i added my daughter and went through the verification process but when i tap "My Purchases" i can only see my name there. iOS 8 feels pretty buggy so far.

subrock

Damn, I've been in App updating hell the last few days. I didn't think the new SDK would break this much stuff. Straddling iOS6-8 is quite difficult now.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Aside from stopping vibrating as mentioned above, you can also stop getting banner notifications period with DND as long as you have "always" checked in its settings.

ios-7-do-not-disturb.jpg

Pretty useful when I'm watching or reading something.

I get the same behaviour as your friend's on my iPhone 5 as well. What a waste of a perfectly good dollar.
Wonder if it is a 5 issue..

She also said the camera icon on her lock screen is gone (where you can swipe from the bottom to open the camera)

Everything is working pretty decent on my iPad 3 and iPod touch. Except on my iPod, the spotlight search is, well, spotty. lol

It keeps getting stuck and showing me a blank screen.

Pastry

Banned
This is going to drive me insane... When I used to reply to messages on GAF it would automatically scroll down as I was typing and it no longer does that. I have to continually scroll down as I'm typing my reply :(

psychotron

Does anyone know how to get the camera roll to display all photos like it did before? Now I only see recent photos. I hate the moments tab.

ramyeon

Does anyone know how to get the camera roll to display all photos like it did before? Now I only see recent photos. I hate the moments tab.
There's no way as of yet :(

I really hope they go back on this change in later iterations of iOS8. The Photos set up was FINE the way it was before, and yeah the "Photos" tab that shows everything separated into moments is terrible.

Top Bottom