• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Bladenic

So I accidentally closed out the page with the recommended apps for iOS 8, there were 4. How can I get back there or what were they so I can download them.

hyp

hopefully some of these iCloud issues correct themselves once everyone has their updates installed. i can only imagine how slammed the servers must be right now which is causing all kinds of weird shit to happen.

The update status has been stuck on "Update requested" for a long time now, is anyone else having the same problem and what the heck do I do?

Vyer

I wonder how many photos the "Recently Added" album will contain. I'm not a big fan of the photo combo/moments view, but I would imagine that Recently Added will kind of become a sort of default Camera Roll as you go.

Also, not seeing any kind of lag/speed issues on an iPhone 5 or iPad Air yet.

ramyeon

I wonder how many photos the "Recently Added" album will contain. I'm not a big fan of the photo combo/moments view, but I would imagine that Recently Added will kind of become a sort of default Camera Roll as you go.

Also, not seeing any kind of lag/speed issues on an iPhone 5 or iPad Air yet.
It appears to be time based rather than quantity based to me. I'm not seeing any of my photos over 3 weeks old on it.

Vyer

thank god for the universal "Allow Notifications" toggle for each app. It was always nice to be able to fine tune them but it was a pain if you wanted to turn them off entirely.

Ragus

Banned
oryBL9b.png

Ok, this is fucking neat. Finally notification center is useful for something.

dork

Banned
Anyone having slowdown issues, I just did a complete erase and just installed as new phone. 10x faster than it previously was.

ramyeon

SwiftKey really impresses me with how accurate its prediction and correction is. Sometimes I feel like I got a swipe totally wrong but it'll pick it up correctly anyway. Swype seemed a lot less accurate and I needed to rely on myself to get words right.

Only thing I really dislike is that it doesn't auto shift the text up like the default keyboard, meaning it covers the text and you need to scroll down to see what you're typing every time.

Pastry

Banned
SwiftKey really impresses me with how accurate its prediction and correction is. Sometimes I feel like I got a swipe totally wrong but it'll pick it up correctly anyway. Swype seemed a lot less accurate and I needed to rely on myself to get words right.

Only thing I really dislike is that it doesn't auto shift the text up like the default keyboard, meaning it covers the text and you need to scroll down to see what you're typing every time.

Oh god yes that's unbelievably annoying :/ I'm hoping they'll fix that in a future update for the app. But other than that I really like it.

Dany

Banned
I wish keyboard apps didn't have actual app icons. like, they should have created their own utlitiy for it in settings or something :/

zert

Holy shit I'm loving SwiftKey. So that's why every android user changes the default keyboard. I've never typed so fast in my life, as someone with clumsy fingers I can't recommend it enough.

- J - D -

Just finished updating. Took an hour. The download was fast enough but the "preparing update" took a while.

I've not noticed a significant performance dip on my iPad 2. Photos app feels the the most sluggish, but it's not huge.

At first I thought it was odd that there was only a "Recently Added" photo album, and that you couldn't see all your photos unless you switched to the rows/dates mode. Fixed this by adding a new album and moving all my photos over to it.

Newest pics (not photos taken) added to the camera roll are no longer added to the bottom of the roll, but are instead thrown in there according to the date the pic was created. That's kind of a pain, but the "Recently Added" album makes this less of an issue. Wallpapers don't automatically zoom in the image so much now. I hated that the parallax feature from previous IOS iterations forced a zoom even if you turned the feature off. Now it's better, thank you, IOS 8.

Safari is fantastic. It feels zippier and the address and tabs bar now minimize when you scroll down on the window, just like Chrome.

Still exploring the changes, but so far it's been a solid update.

sangreal

When I used to use swiftkey on my old htc thunderbolt it started out great but would get slower and slower over time until it was unusable. Hope they got that sorted out by now

sruckus

Yep, Safari for iOS 8 will make me switch back from Chrome, including using 1Password now. It's fast and now allows Private browsing tabs mixed with regular without changing all of them. It's a winner.

Also, Kindle app just updated and has a widget for recent books. I think with my 6 coming I might end up reading a lot more on my iPhone and just get rid of my iPad. Might even get rid of my Paperwhite if the screen is actually better in sunlight like the reviews say.

SeanR1221

Can someone please explain photos to me now?

On my iPhone it seemed to combine my camera roll with a bunch of photo stream pictures.

So I deleted everything I didn't want

Updated my iPad and now there's a ton of pictures there from my old photo stream.

So I deleted a bunch off of those. But the photos on my iPad do not match the ones on my iPhone. Will they just start syncing up from here on out? It sucks they don't perfectly match.

Anyone?

Basically, I'd ideally want the same photos across all my devices. How do I do that?

So will this thread be where people show off or recommend or ask for various apps that utilize Notification Center or Extensions or TouchID? I know MacRumors has a list of some apps that use these new features, but I'm wondering what are the apps you're all using that use them.

Robot Pants

I have a question. iOS8 can't download because I need 4 gigs of space (what a joke) can I update through iTunes and bypass this?

Meh3D

iOS 8 is a no go for me. They broke the iPhoto App and that seems to be the way its meant to be.

Adobe Lightroom App for iPad is broken and unusable. iPhoto did what I expected out of the Lightroom Companion App for iPad and I never looked back. What sucks is that the features I used for are not in the stock photo app in iOS8.

My iPad Air was a great way to have my media when I'm not at my workstation.

Bah....

Holy shit I'm loving SwiftKey. So that's why every android user changes the default keyboard. I've never typed so fast in my life, as someone with clumsy fingers I can't recommend it enough.

Yep, it's great. Glad iOS users can use swype-style keyboards now!

Vyer

Anyone?

Basically, I'd ideally want the same photos across all my devices. How do I do that?

Yeah, my phone and iPad don't quite match up either, as my phone has a few more older ones than the iPad. Could be still syncing (I wiped the iPad and installed as new) but I haven't quite figured out the photos stuff yet.

They are definitely syncing anything new just fine, as I tested with a few photos. In fact, it was almost instant, whereas before it seemed like it took a little while before anything I snapped on the phone showed up in the Photo Stream on the iPad.

It even showed up on my Windows PC photo stream album. I'm talking like 2-3 seconds.

Having some issues with the Swype keyboard resetting back to the default keyboard in iMessage. Like after locking my phone and letting it sit there for a lil bit. Anyone know whats up?

SeanR1221

Yeah, my phone and iPad don't quite match up either, as my phone has a few more older ones than the iPad. Could be still syncing (I wiped the iPad and installed as new) but I haven't quite figured out the photos stuff yet.

They are definitely syncing anything new just fine, as I tested with a few photos. In fact, it was almost instant, whereas before it seemed like it took a little while before anything I snapped on the phone showed up in the Photo Stream on the iPad.

It even showed up on my Windows PC photo stream album. I'm talking like 2-3 seconds.

That I agree with. New things are extremely quick. I just guess anything before today is going to be up in the air, and from here on out it will be consistent :/

sruckus

Having some issues with the Swype keyboard resetting back to the default keyboard in iMessage. Like after locking my phone and letting it sit there for a lil bit. Anyone know whats up?

Sure it's not a different contact? I see something similar with Swiftkey. For example, if I go to my sister it switched to the old keyboard because that's what was active last when talking to her. But if I switch to Swiftkey and go back it keeps that setting. You'll just have to do some switching for all of the saved ones, but then you should be good.

Pastry

Banned
Sure it's not a different contact? I see something similar with Swiftkey. For example, if I go to my sister it switched to the old keyboard because that's what was active last when talking to her. But if I switch to Swiftkey and go back it keeps that setting. You'll just have to do some switching for all of the saved ones, but then you should be good.

I noticed this exact thing also, it saves it once you use it the first time.

Red

Don't update Audible to the IOS 8 version. It crashes at launch.

I am so happy I can finally use SwiftKey on an iPhone. I am sad that it's so buggy. It lags in general but I'd especially bad in iMessage, sometimes reverting to the default keyboard and sometimes not opening at all.

Top Bottom