• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Anyone?

Basically, I'd ideally want the same photos across all my devices. How do I do that?
Basically what you want is iCloud Photo Library which sadly won't be out til maybe next month. Right now you just have photo stream which is mostly hit and a little miss, but only with newly taken/saved photos.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So what's the verdict on the 4S? Should I update or just not bother since I'll be getting the 6 in a couple weeks?

I have to say the photos app is a big mess wow apple why would you make it so complicated??!!

Removed the camera roll fine but the photos tab give you no idea if the photo was actually in the photo stream or saved locally

Does anyone have a good guide. Apple has not turned on the iCloud drive so what happwnedd to the separation between my local photos and the ones saved in Photostream

Of I go into the iCloud setting for photos I see photostreams is enabled but where is it?

ZeroX03

Banned
Touch ID is so fast now. Custom keyboards are legit. Spotlight is actually useful now. Loving this update.

But camera roll was nerfed.

Vyer

I have to say the photos app is a big mess wow apple why would you make it so complicated??!!

Removed the camera roll fine but the photos tab give you no idea if the photo was actually in the photo stream or saved locally

Does anyone have a good guide. Apple has not turned on the iCloud drive so what happwnedd to the separation between my local photos and the ones saved in Photostream

Of I go into the iCloud setting for photos I see photostreams is enabled but where is it?

I think the idea is that it's actually supposed to be 'simpler', lol. I mean I can see the concept, it's basically combined camera roll and 'photo stream' so that you have a continuous single library across multiple devices. Of course if you aren't using Photo Stream they would all be local.

It's a little jarring coming from two separate 'albums' though. borghe is probably right in that if iCloud Library was rolled out too it would make it feel more like the 'old' way.

As far as I can tell the only way to tell if the photo is local or not is if you have the favorite heart at the bottom when you are looking at it. (Or hitting "Edit" in which case the phone tells you it will create a local copy).

Also a big change in photos I don't like is that it saves the photos based on exif data rather than photo saved in photos tab so if you have a photo taken last year and you save it it would slot it all the way back in 2013 instead of recently in the Photos tab in case you remove it from most recent tab

Sky Chief

What's the word on iOS 8 on an iPad Air. Is it okay or a huge piece of shit like iOS 7 was on iPads for months and months? Most importantly is Safari going to work well? I don't trust Apple with iOS updates for iPads anymore.

Vyer

What's the word on iOS 8 on an iPad Air. Is it okay or a huge piece of shit like iOS 7 was on iPads for months and months? Most importantly is Safari going to work well? I don't trust Apple with iOS updates for iPads anymore.

I haven't had a problem so far. They did change the Safari button placement around a little, but other than that it's been looking good.

borghe

What's the point of "do not disturb" in messages when you still get banner notifications, badges and they show in your NC? All it does is mute the messages which can be done with the MUTE BUTTON on the side of the phone.
It doesn't vibrate or turn on the screen with dnd set. Dnd isn't a blocker. It does exactly what it says. Does not disturb.
What's iCloud Photo Library?
Synced cloud storage for photos on all of your devices. It was probably the biggest feature of iOS 8 before it was pulled from the GM at the last minute.
??? iOS 7 on iPad 4 and 2 was fine. 3 was awful. Anywho I'm typing this from an Air running 8 and haven't noticed much to complain about.

Sure it's not a different contact? I see something similar with Swiftkey. For example, if I go to my sister it switched to the old keyboard because that's what was active last when talking to her. But if I switch to Swiftkey and go back it keeps that setting. You'll just have to do some switching for all of the saved ones, but then you should be good.

It's the same contact. I always have to go and switch it back to swype. It's like once the app has been moved out of memory it forgets which keyboard i was using.

It doesn't vibrate or turn on the screen with dnd set. Dnd isn't a blocker. It does exactly what it says. Does not disturb.

Synced cloud storage for photos on all of your devices. It was probably the biggest feature of iOS 8 before it was pulled from the GM at the last minute.
if you want a blocker turn on airplane mode

Mdot

So I DLed it to my iPad 2 over wifi like I always do. Started install and now it's prompting me to plug into iTunes. I've haven't plugged it into iTunes since the over air updates were available and don't even have a computer at my apt to plug it into if I wanted to. What gives? No other iOS update has asked me to do this in years. My iPad is basically a brick right now. Any ideas Gaf?

Vyer

So I'm kinda confused. Arent the photo moments part of the iCloud?

it can be part of the cloud if you decide you want to make it part of your backup. moments is basically your camera roll with photo stream photos integrated into it.

as I understand it, photo stream has always had a rolling 'limit' before it starts pushing out old photos. It was never really meant for 'storage' even though that's how people thought about it (until they started losing old stuff I'd imagine). iCloud backup is the actual backup/storage.

the new icloud photo library basically pulls out that icloud backup and expands on it so people understand it's the actual 'storage' and work with it instead of it just being some toggle in Settings. Photo stream meanwhile can go on to being what it was meant to be, just a way to have a shared, 'streaming' camera roll between devices, without worrying about what photo stream might lose and when.

borghe

Well right. But dnd is more intelligent than that. So VIP contacts (like my daughter or wife) will still ring through. And I can schedule dnd for like bedtime only, etc. Sure airplane mode is the ultimate dnd, but if you want something a little more configurable that still lets the important things through, Apple's built in dnd isn't bad.
So I'm kinda confused. Arent the photo moments part of the iCloud?
Sort of.. ish... Photo stream and iCloud photo sharing were always there. (Well in iOS 7). What was supposed to happen is iOS 8 was that everything in photos was just supposed to be combined into iCloud Photo Library so you would just have one photos section that was shared between all devices. What happened was they delayed iCloud Photo Library but left all the reworkings besides that in. So it's kind of in a crummy state right now. Presumably when they roll it back out next month everything will make more sense.

I am going to get a third party calendar app just so I can get rid of the stupid built in widget and its wasted space. Any suggestions so far or should I just wait until more apps update?

Pastry

Banned
I'm really digging all the changes to the app store. Now the developers can add videos to the preview and apparently they can also sell bundles. I just saw a bundle for widget apps.

MercuryLS

Banned
The Swype keyboard is pretty great, I gotta admit. I just typed this out with it and it was way faster than it normally would have taken with the stock keyboard.

ramyeon

I so wish I hadn't updated. 6 hours later and I still don't have a working phone. Every single iOS update, I swear.
This has never happened to me, and I've updated my phone tonnes of times even through betas.

I don't understand what's going wrong for you guys.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I use do not disturb every night from 11pm-7am. Am I a big stupid idiot, or is it possible you're missing something about why people would choose to do this?

Benefits:
1) I don't need to set it every night, it's automatic
2) I can still fully use my phone on an outgoing basis and no signals are disabled whatsoever
3) On an incoming basis, I can still be contacted by important numbers, and I can still be contacted by all numbers if it's an emergency and they try to reach me multiple times
4) I can still have calls ring while I'm using my phone and still awake, but not when I'm not using my phone.

Why should I use airplane mode instead?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I use do not disturb every night from 11pm-7am. Am I a big stupid idiot, or is it possible you're missing something about why people would choose to do this?

Benefits:
1) I don't need to set it every night, it's automatic
2) I can still fully use my phone on an outgoing basis and no signals are disabled whatsoever
3) On an incoming basis, I can still be contacted by important numbers, and I can still be contacted by all numbers if it's an emergency and they try to reach me multiple times
4) I can still have calls ring while I'm using my phone and still awake, but not when I'm not using my phone.

Why should I use airplane mode instead?

I do this exactly.

Top Bottom