• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Downloaded update via iTunes since I only had a gig free. No errors; device rebooted and did progress bar. That bar has been at about 95% for like an hour and a half. Time to panic?

So, the voice texts you send and save - where do those get stored? Cant find a way to look at them/delete em. Anyone? Thanks!

EDIT: NM Figured it out!

DedValve

Banned
So Skype seems broken now. I can't send messages as there is no send button. I'm also disappointed a little with serious. It cost a dollar and is nowhere near as robust as the free Android version.

BunnyBear

If anyone cares, my iPad 3 is running like a Ferrari at the moment. So to those out there worried about updating their iPad 3's, do it!

Zee-Row

Banned
Will iOS8 slow down a 5S? I'm not going to get a new phone for a long time and want to make sure mine stays smooth if I download the update.

Cse

Banned
What was Apple thinking with some of these design decisions? If you want to know what I'm talking about, try using the "Explore" tab in the App store for more than 20 seconds.

6bnnufN.png

The entire horizontal swipe motif has been completely abandoned in the Explore tab. Instead of swiping back horizontally, everything becomes threaded in a vertical tree of categories. This is the only place in iOS where you can't swipe back at all, but have to tap the left hand corner to go "up".

Even worse, occasionally, a category will move the frame of the screen to the right instead of continuing the thread under the category tree. So, to go back, you would have to swipe back, and then go "up" the tree.

It's completely jarring and goes against their entire movement motif within iOS. I'm really not sure what they were thinking here.

When I plug my iOS 8 device into my PC, I can't access the photos on the device via Explorer anymore. Does this have to do with all the photos sort of merging with iCloud?

So is the general consensus that ios8 is dog poop (well maybe not as bad as ios 7 on the 4) on the 4S? Deciding whether I want to upgrade or not.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
What are some privacy-related settings that I should go through and turn off right after updating? For example, are there any compelling reasons why I should leave things like "Frequent Locations" and "Location-Based Alerts", "Share My Location", "Popular Near Me" etc enabled?

They seem kind of creepy to me...I wish Apple would do a better job of explaining how they use each and/or if and how developers can use them.

What was Apple thinking with some of these design decisions? If you want to know what I'm talking about, try using the "Explore" tab in the App store for more than 20 seconds.

6bnnufN.png

The entire horizontal swipe motif has been completely abandoned in the Explore tab. Instead of swiping back horizontally, everything becomes threaded in a vertical tree of categories. This is the only place in iOS where you can't swipe back at all, but have to tap the left hand corner to go "up".

Even worse, occasionally, a category will move the frame of the screen to the right instead of continuing the thread under the category tree. So, to go back, you would have to swipe back, and then go "up" the tree.

It's completely jarring and goes against their entire movement motif within iOS. I'm really not sure what they were thinking here.

Why can't you click the name of each subcategory or
Main category to go up or all the way up

Cse

Banned
Why can't you click the name of each subcategory or
Main category to go up or all the way up

You can.

The point is that this movement motif isn't found anywhere else in iOS. Consistency is huge, especially with respect to basic movement principles within the OS. The vertical category thread is completely incongruous with other established design principles.

You can.

The point is that this movement motif isn't found anywhere else in iOS. Consistency is huge, especially with respect to basic movement principles within the OS. The vertical category thread is completely incongruous with other established design principles.

I don't mind it infact this is a better way at exploring apps than the previous method and appreciate the view of the categories which were somewhat hidden in previous iterations

Sorry if this subject has been discussed already, but is there a way to disable iMessage and still be able send SMS between iOS devices? Through normal carrier texts? If it's disabled it just tells me to turn it back on. It seems ridiculous that this is forced, doesn't make any sense to me.

Sid

Been noticing some glitches (in the app store as well) and slight lag when opening a stacked folder or closing an app on my iPhone 5

Enco

I am going to get a third party calendar app just so I can get rid of the stupid built in widget and its wasted space. Any suggestions so far or should I just wait until more apps update?
You can get rid of the widget and still use the calendar of you like.

I personally use calendars 5. They have a widget you can use if you like. Sunrise is meant to be good too and it's free.

Yahoo news digest got an update but it doesn't work. WiFi still disconnects for me so hopefully they fix that soon.

Monocle

I just updated my iPad 3 with this and I absolutely love the countless little improvements to general usability. The word recommendation feature on the keyboard is great, Safari's new tab functions are great, and I can even turn off the new annoying stuff like the Recent Contacts list on the app switch screen.

Everything's as zippy as it was in iOS 7, just tweaked for my convenience. Very pleased so far.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Anyone else not able to update? I'm doing it through iTunes because I want to do a clean install. Earlier today I was able to start the download before it timed out, but now it just hangs on "Contacting the iPhone software update server"

If I try to update from my phone, it just keeps showing "Checking for Updates..."

I'm on jailbroken 6.1.2

Enzom21

Anyone else not able to update? I'm doing it through iTunes because I want to do a clean install. Earlier today I was able to start the download before it timed out, but now it just hangs on "Contacting the iPhone software update server"

If I try to update from my phone, it just keeps showing "Checking for Updates..."

I'm on jailbroken 6.1.2
Servers are getting hammered. You can try direct download here.

How did you do that? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm not in front of my iPad right now.

It's under mail, contacts in settings.

Seems they also removed the Camera Roll entirely and there is no way to view all your photos at once without sorting through all the years, and it's impossible to send an SMS to another iOS user without iMessage enabled. I'm hoping these are mistakes rather than choices.

ZeroX03

Banned
Seems they also removed the Camera Roll entirely and there is no way to view all your photos at once without sorting through all the years, and it's impossible to send an SMS to another iOS user without iMessage enabled. I'm hoping these are mistakes rather than choices.

The Camera Roll was intentional, but I don't think anyone is too pleased about the choice, wouldn't surprise me if Apple backtracked on it.

Noema

If you're using a 16gb iPhone you may be using up all the space. ITunes is the best way without deleting a bunch of stuff.

Yeah, my roommate has a 16GB 5S and he asked me if I could help him make room for ios8 since he's not very tech savvy.

I looked at his phone and he has like 600MB free. I was like fuck this we'll use iTunes.

Now that I think of it I have never upgraded to a full new version of iOS OTA since I always installed the GM via iTunes once it leaked back when I had an iPhone.

Updated my 5s while at work and that was smooth sailing so now I'm heading home to go deal with my iPad 3.

Hopefully no issues and I can finally verify my iPad as I enabled 2-step verification on both my iPhone and iPad.

Still getting used to swiftkey but might try swype to see which one I like more.

Yeah, my roommate has a 16GB 5S and he asked me if I could help him make room for ios8 since he's not very tech savvy.

I looked at his phone and he has like 600MB free. I was like fuck this we'll use iTunes.

Now that I think of it I have never upgraded to a full new version of iOS OTA since I always installed the GM via iTunes once it leaked back when I had an iPhone.

Yup, this is EXACTLY what I have done since iOS7. This should no longer be an issue for me as I am getting a 64GB 6.

ramyeon

The way swiftkey plugs into your Facebook account is pretty nifty. Even pulls data from your friends list so it can accurately predict your friends' names. I'm definitely impressed with how accurate and forgiving the prediction is. Most of the time I can just vaguely swipe in the direction of letters and it picks it up just fine.

Punctuation seems more clumsy though... And I'm still not convinced it's that much faster than the stock tap keyboards.

The way swiftkey plugs into your Facebook account is pretty nifty. Even pulls data from your friends list so it can accurately predict your friends' names. I'm definitely impressed with how accurate and forgiving the prediction is. Most of the time I can just vaguely swipe in the direction of letters and it picks it up just fine.

Punctuation seems more clumsy though... And I'm still not convinced it's that much faster than the stock tap keyboards.

Yeah, I'm getting used to the punctuation finally. After swiping in a word, if you tap on a punctuation symbol, it automatically places it right after the last word even if it put a space there previously. Also, you can double tap the space bar to enter a period.

Top Bottom