• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

SuperPac

The way swiftkey plugs into your Facebook account is pretty nifty. Even pulls data from your friends list so it can accurately predict your friends' names. I'm definitely impressed with how accurate and forgiving the prediction is. Most of the time I can just vaguely swipe in the direction of letters and it picks it up just fine.

Punctuation seems more clumsy though... And I'm still not convinced it's that much faster than the stock tap keyboards.

I agree, punctuation is weird. After seeing android phones with this feature for years I always thought it was a gimmick. But from using it today it just feels so natural. I am normally a two-handed typist on an iPhone but with SwiftKey I feel like I could really knock out some serious emails or posts with just one. Like this one!

Very impressed.

You can get rid of the widget and still use the calendar of you like.

I personally use calendars 5. They have a widget you can use if you like. Sunrise is meant to be good too and it's free.

Yahoo news digest got an update but it doesn't work. WiFi still disconnects for me so hopefully they fix that soon.

I know, I disabled Calendar a long time ago. I just want a NEW calendar app that has a better widget. I think what I want is something that lists the most recent, oh, 5 items in my calender and hides when there is nothing (unlike the default widget)

Swype takes some getting used too but I do hope they add Dutch support as soon as possible because it is fucking perfect for typing on neogaf. I need it on my whatsapp and Facebook!

What is better guys? Swiftkey or swype?

ramyeon

Swype takes some getting used too but I do hope they add Dutch support as soon as possible because it is fucking perfect for typing on neogaf. I need it on my whatsapp and Facebook!

I prefer SwiftKey purely because the prediction stuff in it seems second to none. The fact that it can predict friends' names by connecting with your Facebook alone sells it for me (I have a lot of friends with foreign names that would often get corrected by Apple's keyboard for example). Swype seemed less forgiving with its predictions and corrections from what I tried of it.

Plus, SwiftKey is free.

gimmmick

Swift key all the way.

ZeroX03

Banned
I prefer Swype because it tends to recognize my motions better than Swift Key, and I don't particularly use prediction. Also prefer manually entering terms into the dictionary.

Mdot

So I tried to plug the iPad into iTunes now (work computer) and it tells me it's in recovery mode so it needs to restore. Fine. Goes through some process and tells me it can't be restored. So now I have zero clue what to do. Wtf.

So I tried to plug the iPad into iTunes now (work computer) and it tells me it's in recovery mode so it needs to restore. Fine. Goes through some process and tells me it can't be restored. So now I have zero clue what to do. Wtf.

When you unplug it/plug it back in, what options are you presented with? What screen is your iPad on?

Mdot

When you unplug it/plug it back in, what options are you presented with? What screen is your iPad on?

iTunes says the device is in recovery mode and has to be restored to continue.

The iPad just has the plug into iTunes screen.

Going through the process in iTunes just says it can't be restored and brings me back to the beginning of the process.

If this thing is bricked after 4 years of no issues, I'm going to be pissed.

My 5S seemed to somehow get even faster

I noticed that too. I think they sped up some animations.

I'm loving Swipe. I've never owned an Android phone (owned a Windows Phone before going iPhone, will do an Android phone next), so this whole extension of functionality to other apps is completely new to me. Pretty freaking cool. What are some other apps that you guys recommend now that the functionality is on iOS?

Kevin

I'm convinced Apple intentionally makes their iOS updates slow down and cripple older devices to push people into buying the new stuff. My iPod Touch is barely usable when I switched to iOS 6 and worked just fine when it shipped with iOS 4. Not even sure this is legal to purposely slow down older devices under the guise that it's just more powerful and modern software.

iTunes says the device is in recovery mode and has to be restored to continue.

The iPad just has the plug into iTunes screen.

Going through the process in iTunes just says it can't be restored and brings me back to the beginning of the process.

If this thing is bricked after 4 years of no issues, I'm going to be pissed.

All your data is likely erased and it's back to factory defaults. What you'll need to do is plug it into your home PC and restore it from a previous backup, if you've ever done that.

McBryBry

My 4S is running slow. It's not TOO bad, its still usable. It just screws up or slows down every now and then. I still can't decide between Android or 6+.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I'm convinced Apple intentionally makes their iOS updates slow down and cripple older devices to push people into buying the new stuff. My iPod Touch is barely usable when I switched to iOS 6 and worked just fine when it shipped with iOS 4. Not even sure this is legal to purposely slow down older devices under the guise that it's just more powerful and modern software.

Um, but it is a new, more powerful/modern software with new features that likely take up additions CPU resources. :/

Have you ever tried installing new OSs on really old computers?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/u...a-big-data-conundrum.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

Interesting read on the subject.

Auto brightness is WAY brighter now on my 5S. I'm not sure I like that better, since it's likely I'll be losing more battery as the day goes on :/

But it does make Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies look extra pretty, so that's nice.

My 4S is running slow. It's not TOO bad, its still usable. It just screws up or slows down every now and then. I still can't decide between Android or 6+.

Did you just update? random slowdowns or sluggish performance can be attributed to re-indexing your phone for spotlight, at least initially.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
SwiftKey is fucking with the Facebook Messenger app pretty hard right now, but aside from that no problems.

I don't know if my poor iPhone 5's battery is gonna last until the 6S though.

That doesn't work for me, I definitely have to specifically ask for it. If I don't it just tries to understand the lyrics as a command and gets confused.

I know in one of the earlier betas it had that functionality. Maybe they took it out?

EDIT: Yeah, they took it out. But it was in there in the beginning.

In earlier betas, Siri would automatically start listening for music when invoked, and identify anything playing. This approach proved to be a bit counterproductive, as the software would often misinterpret air conditioners, wind, or a sneeze in the background as music and keep trying to identify it even after the user had finished issuing a command. To resolve that, later betas removed the automatic listening mode and required the use of a command such as “what song is this?”

Mindwipe

If you're never going to use iCloud for photo storage (which I suspect is a lot of people after the last few weeks) Apple have made a complete hash of photos.

I prefer SwiftKey purely because the prediction stuff in it seems second to none. The fact that it can predict friends' names by connecting with your Facebook alone sells it for me (I have a lot of friends with foreign names that would often get corrected by Apple's keyboard for example). Swype seemed less forgiving with its predictions and corrections from what I tried of it.

Plus, SwiftKey is free.

Swift key all the way.

Looks like I gave away my 89 cents.

Next time I should just ask what is better before I purchase something.

Toki767

Looks like I gave away my 89 cents.

Next time I should just ask what is better before I purchase something.

Don't worry.

Swiftkey is better at predictive text, but Swype is a lot better at gesture based typing. In the end use whichever you think is more useful as the other also offers the secondary feature but just not as good.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
4S does seem pretty sluggish.. And no, I haven't just updated.

I imagine 8.1 will be great on it... But now? It's not awful, but I am bailing to iphone 6 ASAP, so it's more tolorable to me. If this was my total phone future I'd be a bit miffed.

Ashhong

Dammit, got a -1 error when updating from iTunes. Had to do a full restore on my 5. Would have preferred just an update but whatever.

MickD

My 5S seemed to somehow get even faster

Same here. I've been running the beta all summer, but today's release has been blowing my mind this evening. Blazing fast.

Not 100% in love with SwiftKey yet. Anyone using anything else? I might try flexy.

Are you guys not worried about giving Swift Key (and other keyboard apps) access to everything you ever type on your phone?

Also is there any way to delete words from the predictive entry in Apple's keyboard?

Top Bottom