• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The Camera Roll was intentional, but I don't think anyone is too pleased about the choice, wouldn't surprise me if Apple backtracked on it.
Once photo library is added back in next month it'll be fine. It got taken out at last minute for the public release.

jrcbandit

So... it's safe to update, right?

No weird bricking for everyone's devices?

I had a weird error with Itunes and Windows 8.1, it is such a crap program on PCs ;p. I tried to upgrade to IOS 8 and it would not recognize my Ipad properly after unpacking the update and left my Ipad "stuck" in Recovery mode, error 3014 - I checked my HOSTS file/router and access to Apple was not blocked ;p. The only way I was able to take my Ipad out of Recovery mode and update the OS was to plug it into a Windows 7 machine. After it finally updated to IOS 8, I was able to restore my Itunes backup on the Windows 8.1 machine...

yogloo

Upgrade your damn 4S, because swiftkey is godly.
It's perfectly fine on my 4S because I actually use my phone and not hold a stopwatch to it.

Kattbuss

I'm a bit disappointed that neither Swiftkey or the IOS built-in predictive text supports Swedish language yet. Hopefully it will get added in the future.
Otherwise, my iPhone 5 is running perfectly on IOS8.

Ninja Dom

Just how accurate do you think the app battery usage is? Do you think it's based by time or it's actually looking at battery drainage by app?

For example, 10 minutes on Safari surfing would drain more power than 10 minutes looking at your offline photos. Would the stats be able to tell that or just lump them the same cos in each case it was 10 minutes used?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
SwiftKey is a bit buggy. When I was trying to write a review on the App Store it made the whole top area of the screen blank as if it was scrolling it up too high. So I couldn't tell what I had written so far unless I switched to another keyboard.

And if you use it in Spotlight it doesn't show any suggestions, but they're still there, just invisible. (Hmm. Now it's showing them. Flakey.)

And weirdly, in DropBox when it asks for the passcode, the keyboard appears for a split second with a number pad before sliding away.

Hopefully these tiny bugs will be fixed in the next update. The DropBox one is strange. Why is DB requesting a keypad? It has its own number pad for that. And it doesn't activate the Apple version so it's strange.

Also, something I'm kind of disappointed about is that you can't save any file in Safari. Now that we have iCloud Drive and the ability for other cloud services like DropBox to add their own functionality, I was hoping I could long press on a link and choose "Save file..." and have it show a popup with iCloud or DropBox in it. I was under the impression you could do it in DropBox's update "what's new" section. I really want to be able to save files right to DB. You can only save images which is silly.

smuf

I'm a bit disappointed that neither Swiftkey or the IOS built-in predictive text supports Swedish language yet. Hopefully it will get added in the future.
Otherwise, my iPhone 5 is running perfectly on IOS8.

Those were my first impressions too. I loved the predictive keyboard at first, then had to send a text in Dutch only to find out it doesn't work. Same with Swiftkey.

Mindwipe

So everyone else thinks that iCloud Drive is a hot mess right?

Pages was updated this morning for iCloud Drive, but doesn't use the advertised document picker, and is unable to access files in Pages format in other folders. Safari can't save any file yet (which is crazy stupid).

The user experience is awful. This mess is supposed to be better than a file system? Really?

I find the SwiftKey keyboard takes a couple seconds to load whenever I switch to it on my 4S. It's generally a little sluggish at the moment, but it might improve over the next few days. Either way, I'll be upgrading to a 6 soon.

Edit: Nice iOS 8 feature, you can delete music by Artist or Album now instead of having to go song by song.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So everyone else thinks that iCloud Drive is a hot mess right?

Pages was updated this morning for iCloud Drive, but doesn't use the advertised document picker, and is unable to access files in Pages format in other folders. Safari can't save any file yet (which is crazy stupid).

The user experience is awful. This mess is supposed to be better than a file system? Really?
I think now that they have Drive they need to leave that stupid "sandboxed" folder layout behind. The one where each app gets a single folder separate from each other apps folder and only has one layer deep with no sub-folders. Screw that. Let us put the document anywhere, and give us some easy filtering options if we want to search for a file within the iCloud. No big deal. Let us structure our cloud how we want to and we'll be happy. And treat it like a folder. Not a special location. Let us put it in the Dock.

As I said, they have a long way to go to be DropBox. Smug Jobs or no smug Jobs, DropBox still has the upper hand. And I'll pay for DB until the day I can replace it fully with iCloud Drive. Which may not be for a while unless they add quite a few missing features.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I think now that they have Drive they need to leave that stupid "sandboxed" folder layout behind. The one where each app gets a single folder separate from each other apps folder and only has one layer deep with no sub-folders. Screw that. Let us put the document anywhere, and give us some easy filtering options if we want to search for a file within the iCloud. No big deal. Let us structure our cloud how we want to and we'll be happy. And treat it like a folder. Not a special location. Let us put it in the Dock.

As I said, they have a long way to go to be DropBox. Smug Jobs or no smug Jobs, DropBox still has the upper hand. And I'll pay for DB until the day I can replace it fully with iCloud Drive. Which may not be for a while unless they add quite a few missing features.
This is how it works technically pretty much now. There just isn't a file manager native app yet. Visit https://beta.icloud.com to see the file structure as is. Apps have the opportunity to fully interact with the drive now and it's contents.

noomi

Can anyone confirm that when you edit a photo on one device the changes do not reflect on other devices?

Took a photo on my iphone, made the edits. Looked on my ipad, the photo is there, but the edits are not :( I thought this was going to be part of the new ios8 photo stream goodness?

Can anyone confirm that when you edit a photo on one device the changes do not reflect on other devices?

Took a photo on my iphone, made the edits. Looked on my ipad, the photo is there, but the edits are not :( I thought this was going to be part of the new ios8 photo stream goodness?

have you turned on iCloud photo library on both?

SuperPac

Unlike Swype, SwiftKey being free makes me think there's gotta be some kind of catch, right? No software on iOS is truly free so where are they going to make money? That and having to give it full access makes me somewhat nervous about using it but damnit it's so darn good!

DOWN

Banned
Unlike Swype, SwiftKey being free makes me think there's gotta be some kind of catch, right? No software on iOS is truly free so where are they going to make money? That and having to give it full access makes me somewhat nervous about using it but damnit it's so darn good!

Hard to say since Instagram had no ads and was bought for a ton by Facebook

Is there anything better about Swype?

ramyeon

They will probably monetise it by making paid themes in the future or something.

mrkgoo

Kind of finding iOS 8 annoying at the moment.

Annoyances:

No camera roll
Merges all photos into one stream (I have duplicates in different albums so now it shows duplicates in the stream. Actually it did this before, but without a camera roll that is my obt view.
The spotlight search window can still be accidentally activated but I can't dismiss it as easily.
Square photos in shared photostreams have blank thumbnails.

Picobrain

Banned
Updated Iphone5 to ios8, everything is same as on ios7 except the battery life, its much worse now.

When I was on ios7, until 3PM I would have around 90% battery, now it's 50%.

I wish i could go back to ios7 :(

I have a Question:

Ever since I downloaded the new Update on my Ipod Touch I have gotten this Message pop up:

9AUH1xS.png

No Idea what it means. is anyone else having the same issue?

ZeroX03

Banned
Updated Iphone5 to ios8, everything is same as on ios7 except the battery life, its much worse now.

When I was on ios7, until 3PM I would have around 90% battery, now it's 50%.

I wish i could go back to ios7 :(

You taken a look at the new battery usage meters? Also try and do a full battery drain and restart, my 5S was acting up until I rebooted after the update.

ramyeon

Swype has more accurate "swiping" messages. Swift Key has better predictions. I prefer Swype as I don't really use predictions.
I find the swiping in SwiftKey easier than Swype because it predicts and corrects what I want to type so well. Swype I felt I had to actually get words right when I swiped them in, whereas with SwiftKey I can just kind of vaguely swipe in the general direction of letters and often not even swipe to every letter since it picks up what I'm trying to say so well.

ZeroX03

Banned
I find the swiping in SwiftKey easier than Swype because it predicts and corrects what I want to type so well. Swype I felt I had to actually get words right when I swiped them in, whereas with SwiftKey I can just kind of vaguely swipe in the general direction of letters and often not even swipe to every letter since it picks up what I'm trying to say so well.

I'm the opposite. I find Swype is far better with the vague swipes, I can be all over the show. Swift Key doesn't feel as responsive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
love having lastpass integrated into safari. Although having it hidden behind the 'share' button is a bit odd. That is really now the 'do things with this page' button so they should change the look of it IMO.

family sharing will hopefully save me from too much pestering from the kids. Currently I download whatever game they want and then they cloud download it. This way I don't need to clutter up my purchase history with stupid pet/zoo games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm the opposite. I find Swype is far better with the vague swipes, I can be all over the show. Swift Key doesn't feel as responsive.

and for ipad owners, swype is the only option right now.

Does icloud drive just use your current allotted 5GB?

Fjolle

On Android it was paid until recently. They introduced paid themes when they made it free, so they will probably also appear on the iOS version.

love having lastpass integrated into safari. Although having it hidden behind the 'share' button is a bit odd. That is really now the 'do things with this page' button so they should change the look of it IMO.

family sharing will hopefully save me from too much pestering from the kids. Currently I download whatever game they want and then they cloud download it. This way I don't need to clutter up my purchase history with stupid pet/zoo games.
Do hope Lastpass change their url scheme to use the 1Password brand generic scheme though, seeing apps get updated for 1Password, can't see as many also being updated for Lastpass.

noomi

have you turned on iCloud photo library on both?

In settings > icloud .

I have "photo stream" and "icloud photo sharing" turned on, is there any other place this needs to be enabled? It's really bugging me edits aren't showing across all devices, maybe that or the 4s isn't supported?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Same deal with 1password...it's really awkward to find it under the "Share" menu and having to pan to the right.

I wish I could at least rearrange the items in there so I wouldn't have to swipe over to get it.

...but TouchID authentication and autofilling is so sick.

Daffy Duck

Can you still load up your kids accounts with vouchers for them to buy apps if you setup family sharing or would that credit have to be loaded onto my account (as the admin for the family group).

noomi

Well, alright... after digging around the net looks like icloud photo library isn't even in this ios8 release, they probably delayed it.

Does anyone see the option to enable icloud photo library?

Same deal with 1password...it's really awkward to find it under the "Share" menu and having to pan to the right.

I wish I could at least rearrange the items in there so I wouldn't have to swipe over to get it.

...but TouchID authentication and autofilling is so sick.
You can, just touch and hold the 1password icon and drag it to the front.

Jonogunn

Rearranging items will reset if u close safari and reopen. This iOS version is buggy as fuck.

Also I can't get 1password to work. Everytime I click it in the share tab it brings me to a blank page where I can only click cancel

Top Bottom