• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Every app that requires a login needs to use TouchID
I'll take this one step further in that Touch ID actually seems even more improved yet. My right thumb and index finger were near 100%, but my left thumb was probably closer to 50%. Since this update and without rescanning my thumb accuracy has jumped considerably. So far I only have Touch ID on Day One and amazon but yeah... I basically want it on any app I have to login to.

I'm convinced Apple intentionally makes their iOS updates slow down and cripple older devices to push people into buying the new stuff. My iPod Touch is barely usable when I switched to iOS 6 and worked just fine when it shipped with iOS 4. Not even sure this is legal to purposely slow down older devices under the guise that it's just more powerful and modern software.

You're only just realising this now?

I'll take this one step further in that Touch ID actually seems even more improved yet. My right thumb and index finger were near 100%, but my left thumb was probably closer to 50%. Since this update and without rescanning my thumb accuracy has jumped considerably. So far I only have Touch ID on Day One and amazon but yeah... I basically want it on any app I have to login to.

I also want it to continuity-verify me on my mac. :D
Login to GAF? I'll use my thumb for that!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Same deal with 1password...it's really awkward to find it under the "Share" menu and having to pan to the right.

I wish I could at least rearrange the items in there so I wouldn't have to swipe over to get it.

...but TouchID authentication and autofilling is so sick.

you can. If you select the ... and then turn on 1pass/lastpass, it'll appear on the right of the share options. But from there you can long press and drag it. I have lastpass as the first item on the list now, front and center.

Well, alright... after digging around the net looks like icloud photo library isn't even in this ios8 release, they probably delayed it.

Does anyone see the option to enable icloud photo library?

The feature was taken out with the GM build, it's probably coming next month with SMS continuity.

Enco

I'm convinced Apple intentionally makes their iOS updates slow down and cripple older devices to push people into buying the new stuff. My iPod Touch is barely usable when I switched to iOS 6 and worked just fine when it shipped with iOS 4. Not even sure this is legal to purposely slow down older devices under the guise that it's just more powerful and modern software.
Why all the conspiracy stuff?

New software makes use of new hardware. If you're still using old hardware, you can't expect to be running everything smoothly for the rest of time.

Technology is constantly changing.

I've never complained about battery life before because I felt people exaggerated the effects of updates but I literally got 3 hours of usage today before my phone died. Not good. Half of what it used to be (roughly).

Mindwipe

As much as I've slagged iOS8 off in several bits, it's password managent is ludicrously good. If they could just let you input a password into Safari's manager manually now then it'd be perfect.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
you can. If you select the ... and then turn on 1pass/lastpass, it'll appear on the right of the share options. But from there you can long press and drag it. I have lastpass as the first item on the list now, front and center.

The eff...I totally tried this yesterday and failed apparently.

Glad you made me try again!

New software makes use of new hardware. If you're still using old hardware, you can't expect to be running everything smoothly for the rest of time.

I've never complained about battery life before because I felt people exaggerated the effects of updates but I literally got 3 hours of usage today before my phone died. Not good. Half of what it used to be (roughly).
Then don't release an update for the older devices.

They should be aiming for it to run well on old devices if they're going to offer it on them.

RubxQub

They should be aiming for it to run well on old devices if they're going to offer it on them.

Lose if you do, lose if you don't.

If you don't offer it, people bitch about them artificially removing functionality from old devices.

If you do offer it, people bitch that it doesn't run as efficiently as the old one.

...luckily there is this thing called "choice"! No one's making you update.

Ah ok, that makes more sense then :p

I assume continuity will also have taking calls with different devices while iphone is on wifi and in range?

Isn't that already in there? I haven't tested it out with my iPad on the GM builds yet but it works with the beta build of Yosemite.

Blackhead

Redarse

For most other hardware you always have the option of downgrading/rolling back if the new software is unbearably slow or buggy. Apple instead prevents users from going back to the old version of iOS.

RubxQub

I think I type too fast to get any major benefit out of suggested words or the swipe-style input method.

By the time I pause to see a word I want and select it, I could have banged out the word anyways by myself without the awkward stuttering.
For most other hardware you always have the option of downgrading/rolling back if the new software is unbearably slow or buggy. Apple instead prevents users from going back to the old version of iOS.

Ever heard of DFU mode?

...or do you mean "easily" rolling back?

Enco

People would just complain about that instead.

The option to ignore updates would be nice.

noomi

Isn't that already in there? I haven't tested it out with my iPad on the GM builds yet but it works with the beta build of Yosemite.

Aww shit, I guess it's my 4s then, says it needs bluetooth 4.0, the 4s does not have that :(

That's ok, 6 coming tom!

Is anyone else having trouble with third-party keyboards just not loading sometimes? Like when I open Safari and tap in the address bar, the keyboard never comes up. If I force quit Safari and re-open it, it works.

This is a huge problem, and I don't know if the fault lies with the keyboard or the OS.

ramyeon

Does the receiving of calls and SMS on your Mac require Bluetooth LE? I seem to recall it didn't but I may be wrong and I don't seem to be receiving calls on my Macbook Pro (2010) with Yosemite PB3.

Mindwipe

Does the receiving of calls and SMS on your Mac require Bluetooth LE? I seem to recall it didn't but I may be wrong and I don't seem to be receiving calls on my Macbook Pro (2010) with Yosemite PB3.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it does, so mid-2011 models and up. Sorry.

Deku Tree

No, it happens over WiFi... I don't have bluetooth turned on and it "just works" for me both on Mac (with Yosemite PB3) and on iPad Air. But SMS relay is delayed until an October update.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it does, so mid-2011 models and up. Sorry.

Yeah this is not true, at least it works for me. (I am not sure what model restrictions there might be though... but I am not using any bluetooth and it works just fine.)

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Posted this last night but didn't get an answer...anyone?

What are some privacy-related settings that I should go through and turn off right after updating? For example, are there any compelling reasons why I should leave things like "Frequent Locations" and "Location-Based Alerts", "Share My Location", "Popular Near Me" etc enabled?

They seem kind of creepy to me...I wish Apple would do a better job of explaining how they use each and/or if and how developers can use them.

ZeroX03

Banned

Nah, it's WiFi for both. However SMS Relay works over any network (ie if your phone is at home and you're out with your Macbook), while phone calls require you to be on the same WiFi network.

Posted this last night but didn't get an answer...anyone?

Weather and maps are a big one. If you don't use them then I guess you can turn it off. It's not really creepy IMO, but if you have a problem with it...

RubxQub

The iPhone 4 was the last that could be (with difficulty) rolled back. The iPhone 4s onwards (5, 5c, 5s) can't be rolled back via any means.

What?

Dude, DFU mode lets you restore whatever the heck you want. What are you talking about? The article you linked even has a direct link to a "how do downgrade from iOS 8 to iOS7" at the top of it.

ramyeon

Weird that the phone call relay isn't working for me even though I'm on the same network :/

Guess I'll have to try and test it out a bit more tomorrow.

Is there an easy way to type in a web address with swiftkey? It seems like I can't just swipe in the .com portion at the same time as the rest of the address.

Deku Tree

Weird that the phone call relay isn't working for me even though I'm on the same network :/

Guess I'll have to try and test it out a bit more tomorrow.

Phone call relay works for me on my personal secure home WiFi network. At work where we have a super secure very large WiFi network that requires an authentication certificate WiFi iPad relay calling doesn't work at all... and I half expected that unfortunately.

Mindwipe

What?

Dude, DFU mode lets you restore whatever the heck you want. What are you talking about? The article you linked even has a direct link to a "how do downgrade from iOS 8 to iOS7" at the top of it.

That only applies while the signing window for the old OS is open, so during the beta period. Now iOS8 has been released Apple will probably close the signing window for the last version of iOS7 in the next twenty four to forty eight hours, and then you won't be able to restore to iOS7 again on any modern device.

Mindwipe

No, it happens over WiFi... I don't have bluetooth turned on and it "just works" for me both on Mac (with Yosemite PB3) and on iPad Air. But SMS relay is delayed until an October update.

Yeah this is not true, at least it works for me. (I am not sure what model restrictions there might be though... but I am not using any bluetooth and it works just fine.)

Oh, apologies.

Big thread on it here. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1745937

ramyeon

Are you on Yosemite?
Yeah, PB3.
Phone call relay works for me on my personal secure home WiFi network. At work where we have a super secure very large WiFi network that requires an authentication certificate WiFi iPad relay calling doesn't work at all... and I half expected that unfortunately.
Oh yeah I'm trying it at home, I suppose it could be an issue with the network setup. I'll have to fiddle around with it a bit and see I guess. So used to this stuff "just working" with Apple products.

RubxQub

That only applies while the signing window for the old OS is open, so during the beta period. Now iOS8 has been released Apple will probably close the signing window for the last version of iOS7 in the next twenty four to forty eight hours, and then you won't be able to restore to iOS7 again on any modern device.

Me:
mcvLql0.jpg

...didn't realize the nuances of that signing piece. Was caught offguard when it was said that downgrades stopped at the iPhone 4 when I know I'd downgraded my iPhone 5 from iOS 7 beta to 6.

Man, it took like 30-40 minutes to go from Preparing to finishing the installation of ios8 on the ipad 3. yeesh.

Anyhow, im really loving the small changes they made. Didn't notice most of the stuff at first, but the texting changes, swiping to reply from the lock screen, voice messaging, etc. Plus, the Tips app is a time-saver for me, as it's kinda frustrating to have all of your family members ask you WHATS NEW every time there's an update. Now, i can just say, check out the Tips app, it explains the new stuff better than i ever can.

Deku Tree

Yeah, PB3.

Oh yeah I'm trying it at home, I suppose it could be an issue with the network setup. I'll have to fiddle around with it a bit and see I guess. So used to this stuff "just working" with Apple products.

I have Apple Computers Apple mobile devices Apple Wi-Fi routers, Apple everything. So I haven't tested any of the phone continuity stuff on non-Apple things btw.

Also you have to be logged into the same iCloud account on all devices in order for it to work.

RevoDS

What?

Doesn't Apple stop signing anything but the latest release for a device, effectively preventing a downgrade even through DFU because the check with Apple servers will fail?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Weather and maps are a big one. If you don't use them then I guess you can turn it off. It's not really creepy IMO, but if you have a problem with it...

I only think it's creepy because I have no idea how the data is being used, or if (and which) developers can access that. If the phone is locally storing my most frequent locations for system usage, for example, I'd be OK with that. If app devs can look at that data and use it however they want, and connect it to my account on their servers, I'm not OK with that unless I have the granularity to turn it on/off for each app (separately from other location services).

I decided to leave on "Location-Based Alerts" and "Popular Near Me" but turn the rest off. I'll see how that goes and if I start to feel like I'm missing out on features because of it.

RubxQub

Doesn't Apple stop signing anything but the latest release for a device, effectively preventing a downgrade even through DFU because the check with Apple servers will fail?

Yep. Whoever says that isn't true is a total idiot!

...luckily there is this thing called "choice"! No one's making you update.

The problem I have with this is that Apple doesn't clearly communicate what will happen to your phone once you update. They don't warn you in any way that this new update will suddenly turn your phone into an untoleratable mess. They push this update out like any other well knowing that most everyone will update, since none of the countless updates they did before never caused any negative consequences. It's very underhanded.

Top Bottom