• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

glaurung

Updating to iOS8 has already made me happy, because now I can delete SMS/iMessages in bulk.

But Keychain activation is borked for me. Doesn't want to work at all.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm finding a lot of apps need updates to work with other keyboards. Facebook messages has an issue working with Swype. It works, but if you hit the picture icon or photo icon the keyboard doesn't go away so you can choose pictures.

I'm also having the issue where some apps default back to the stock keyboard.

The browser seems slower to me. It's especially annoying how often it seems to reload now, when returning from using other apps. Or it shows a white screen for a moment, before showing what is there.

Enco

People seem to forget how buggy ios 6 and 7 were before their x.0.1 updates.
Wasn't as bad as this but they had some pretty dumb stuff. For example, Apple removed the ability to delete single songs or install them from iTunes Music. They do some mindblowingly stupid stuff sometimes.

Even when SwiftKey is selected, it still goes back to the default keyboard from time to time

This happening to anyone else?
Yup.

So far:
- Keyboard issues (reverting to original keyboard, covering up text messages, not always opening, no dictation button)
- Spotlight search sometimes doesn't load up suggestions
- The battery for me is really really bad (3.5 hours until dead)
- Wifi constantly disconnects and reconnects after 4-5 minutes
- Sharing sheets reset their order
- Trying to move the last item in the spotlight search crashes the settings app
- I don't like the swipe to delete function in Mail because of the ease of accidentally removing stuff
- Lag when loading keyboard in Spotlight
- Not a bug but the way widgets are done really stop you from using 2-3. Having to scroll through lots of different widgets doesn't work well

RDreamer

Set my phone to update before going to sleep... Woke up and apparently there's still 4 hours left. Wtf

My wife was able to download and update within an hour or so, but mine kept telling me crazy ass times.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Then don't release an update for the older devices.

They should be aiming for it to run well on old devices if they're going to offer it on them.

they aim for it to run the best they can.. I mean despite it chugging, Apple deserves SOME credit.. They have released iOS8 for three year old iPads and iPhones. What three year old Windows Phone or Android device is eligible to receive the latest version of those OSes.

I mean not that Apple is being charitable.. The fact is that both of those devices were sold as new just this year alone.. Obviously. Still, the point is there that while it doesn't run superbly, you CAN get most of the most current features from iOS8 on these devices.

This thought that you should get those features that you want AND it should run just like 2011 on those devices is wholly unrealistic.

I went back to the Apple keyboard lol. I find it to still be the overall best keyboard on iPad.

lol I still use the apple keyboard WITHOUT using the suggestions.. I mean at this point I am so fast with it... It's more of a chore to switch to something else than any benefit I'd get from it... meh..

I DO love Siri's new type as you talk feature though.

SuperPac

Is anyone else having trouble with third-party keyboards just not loading sometimes? Like when I open Safari and tap in the address bar, the keyboard never comes up. If I force quit Safari and re-open it, it works.

This is a huge problem, and I don't know if the fault lies with the keyboard or the OS.

Yes I am having this problem as well. Happened in iMessage last night.

Megasoum

Banned
So I have a question about the Mail app. I've had the same issue for the last 2-3 version of iOS (since I first got my iPhone 4) and I'm wondering if anybody know a fix.

This is a work phone and we use an Exchange server for our mails.

I have Outlook setup at work with a bunch of folders and filters to send the mails to the approriate folders.

When I look at the mail app on my phone I see all the folders and the mails go to the right sub-folder if my outlook is up and running at work.

However, the issue is that the "Unread" folder at the top of the Mail app only shows unread mails in the inbox, not any of the sub folders.

Anybody know a way to fix that?

borghe

is the voice to text stuff done locally now? seems to be much snappier and it's doing it as i speak. neat.
no. you're still fucked without an internet connection. however yes it types as you talk now which is WAY handier.

So I have a question about the Mail app. I've had the same issue for the last 2-3 version of iOS (since I first got my iPhone 4) and I'm wondering if anybody know a fix.

This is a work phone and we use an Exchange server for our mails.

I have Outlook setup at work with a bunch of folders and filters to send the mails to the approriate folders.

When I look at the mail app on my phone I see all the folders and the mails go to the right sub-folder if my outlook is up and running at work.

However, the issue is that the "Unread" folder at the top of the Mail app only shows unread mails in the inbox, not any of the sub folders.

Anybody know a way to fix that?

No, this is working as designed. Unread scans your inbox, not your folders. This is actually how the mail app works in general (only accessing the folder you are currently selected). The workaround for this is to initiate a search (pull down) and search for Unread. This will display unread messages from your inbox, but you can then toggle that to search all folders.

Obviously battery life and data usage are the culprits here.. if your phone had to fetch or push every single time every single folder was updated (or check every folder for updates for fetch) you would be in rough shape.

I feel GMail handles this nicely with labels.. It sorts emails to "folders" without having to delete them from your inbox (or any other folder.. i.e. they can be in multiple "folders") Not sure about exchange.

Ambitious

It's not possible to scroll during the animation when adding a link to the Reading List in iOS 8, and I'm pretty sure it was in iOS 7. Yet another annoyance in top of all the short delays I mentioned yesterday.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No, it happens over WiFi... I don't have bluetooth turned on and it "just works" for me both on Mac (with Yosemite PB3) and on iPad Air. But SMS relay is delayed until an October update.

According to Ars, some of the Continuity features work as long as you're on the same network (mainly accepting calls on your computer), while others require a Bluetooth connection. Which I don't understand. Why force a direct BT connection, which only works over a couple of meters, when surely all of this could be done over Wi-Fi (or even over any internet connection)? Weird.

frico

The feature was taken out with the GM build, it's probably coming next month with SMS continuity.

It's (icloud photo library) in iOS8. If you go to settings, icloud, photos - there is an icloud photo library toggle. it says beta but I decided to dive in and use it.

The Swype version on iPad takes some getting used too but it is the superior version since it supports flow.

Unbelievable that swiftkey does not support it for ram reasons.

It is perfect for typing on the mobile version of neogaf.

Leotarius

Yes I am having this problem as well. Happened in iMessage last night.

I find I've improved performance by disabling the cloud integration. I also made sure to not allow it to use "Cellular Data" in the settings.

I think what's happening is that the keyboard is trying to pull stuff down from the cloud, and if you have bad signal it will crash or take a while to pop up.

I'll keep testing this theory today.

So I looked to see what is taking my battery in last 24 hours

its 38% Safari
22% App Store (background activity)
9% Home screen (notifications , widgets etc)
6% Whatsapp
3% Email

I think I'm finally gonna do a fresh restore on my phone. Pretty sure this current backup has persisted since iOS 5, maybe earlier. I have 3+ GB of "Other" taking up space that I can't figure out.

So I looked to see what is taking my battery in last 24 hours

its 38% Safari
22% App Store (background activity)
9% Home screen (notifications , widgets etc)
6% Whatsapp
3% Email

Safari is a memory hog no doubt.

I thought that Facebook would kill it or whatsapp but it surprised me that it would be the integrated browser.

Enco

My Battery is doing fine (iPhone 4S) just like it was on iOS 7, I had battery issues before but I changed the battery myself and problem solved.
Dunno what my problem is. Maybe it'll fix itself.

I think I'm finally gonna do a fresh restore on my phone. Pretty sure this current backup has persisted since iOS 5, maybe earlier. I have 3+ GB of "Other" taking up space that I can't figure out.
Would be nice but no way I'm going to go through and set up all my apps again.

Setting up Google Authenticator is a HUGE pain. And logging into every app.. no thanks.

Dunno if anyone's noticed, but it seems to me that all the photos I've exchanged with people have suddenly reappeared on the "Details" tab.

I thought all those sexts were gone!

borghe

It's (icloud photo library) in iOS8. If you go to settings, icloud, photos - there is an icloud photo library toggle. it says beta but I decided to dive in and use it.

I don't have it. could you post a screenshot of your page?

Deku Tree

On my iPhone 5S which I don't use that much admittedly because I mostly just use my iPad I get the top 2 battery hogs are:

Home & Lock Screen 26%
Mail (background activity) 20%

Yeah I have push email with iCloud and get lock screen notifications for my email... I like both of those things, but I wish I could prevent the lock screen from lighting up every time I get an email to waste my battery... I just want to be able to see new notifications on my lock screen whenever I press the circle button. I don't think Apple lets you do that so far...

I don't have it. could you post a screenshot of your page?

gIGYXqr.png

Apparently I have it as well, perhaps it has something to do with this being the GM version or because I have a developer account.

RevoDS

Question for those of you who have tried (or seen the answer somewhere), does Handoff work with Facetime?

Say I answer a Facetime call on my iPhone, will the call appear in the Dock if I want to switch to my Mac in the middle of the call?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ooh, in safari when you scroll up, the address and tab bar reappears like on Android. This is handy.

And while I like Swype, the keyboard is a bit big on iPad. Plus I'm having difficulty adjusting to the backspace key being at the bottom of the keyboard- I keep hitting p instead

Dany

Banned
i had to turn off icloud drive and icloud photo library becuase my 1000 photos in my photos stream were gone :/

Yea gotta agree with you.

Far buggier than any other big OS update. Pretty bad really. Lots of small issues. Especially with the keyboard.
Yeah, the keyboard issues are massive imho. The way they chose to go is great, but the execution so far is really bad.

The beta was by far the buggiest iOS beta I've been a part of (6, 7, & 8). It's really crazy. It seems very rushed.

It's broken for me too. It never seems to stick.
Not only does it seem rushed, it really is rushed. You can notice it with lots of major apps even. Never experienced something like this before and I was there since the iPhone OS 3.

noomi

Looks like suggested apps don't work on 4s, can anyone confirm?

Should be under Settings > Itunes ) towards the bottom.

Top Bottom