• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So two questions:

1. Should I update my 4S to iOS 8?

2. If not, will I have to update it before creating the backup I'll be restoring on my 6 when it arrives?

Riptwo

I love that I can send voice memos to my Mac through AirDrop. I often use my phone as a backup mic when doing interviews, but the clips are sometimes so long that I can't text or e-mail them out, and I don't sync with iTunes, which makes exporting them problematic. After the update to iOS 8, it took me seconds to send them all over to my computer. Finally!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So two questions:

2. If not, will I have to update it before creating the backup I'll be restoring on my 6 when it arrives?

1. I mean it is what it is... It's an old phone running a current OS.
2. I don't believe so. Look at it this way.. The way it currently stands, you create an iOS7 backup, then install iOS8 and restore the iOS7 backup to it.. Technically throwing an iPhone 6 into that mix doesn't change it.

Is quick-reply supposed to work with third-party apps?

this is an extension. i.e. they need to allow for it to work. If they haven't updated the app it won't work by default just because it's on iOS8.

edit - the private browsing experience was VASTLY improved. like CRAZY improved.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I upgraded from beta to GM.

Then what you're seeing is a leftover from the beta build, think this is what happened on my iPad 3 before I wiped it as well. Initially I updated straight from beta to GM but it was slow so I restored it to scratch before re-doing my backup. Now I no longer have the library option either.

Lourio

Do all devices need to be running ios 8 for me to use the new family sharing feature? I'm running ios 8 and wife's 4s is still on 7.1.2.

Red

So two questions:

My 4S is handling it well. I've seen critics say animations are choppier, but I've always had them disabled so I can't comment. There are only four frutrastions i have:
1. Apps take slightly longer to open
2. Apps aren't up to speed immediately after opening
3. Custom keyboards either flat out don't work (bringing up an empty box or not responding when activating an entry field) or revert to the default keyboard way too often to call them useful (keyboard behavior in general is buggy)
4. Visible space when the keyboard is activated has been reduced, I guess because the 3.5" display is now playing second fiddle

The UI in various apps does not seem to properly scale for the smaller screen, which sounds ridiculous but it becoming increasingly obvious the more I use iOS8. A few examples:

Y5weOZT.png

AMDnFQf.png

xGRSmBK.png

Notice the toolbar placement in Safari, and the cut off text on imgur. Or the one (read it: ONE) visible line of text while replying on GAF.

It's almost like Apple made a concerted effort to force users to upgrade to larger displays.

At least it runs much better than iOS7 does on the iPhone 4.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Do custom keyboards seem semi-borked for anyone else? Whenever I app switch to messages I need to homescreen out and reload it to make Swype reappear.

borghe

Yeah they came back but I think its because of icloud photo library. Dunno how that is different than photo stream.

it's night and day different. It's also not publicly out (sketchy beta). Basically the old/current way is you have all of your photos on your phone, and then your 1000 most recent photos are sent to your photostream which is then shared to all devices. You then have shared photo streams (not called icloud photo sharing) which you could separately and intentionally send photos to.

The new iCloud Photo Library is supposed to replace all of that (except for the photo sharing). Basically you take a pic, and it is (asap) put into your icloud photo library. The downside is all of your photos and shot videos are now in the cloud, taking up space (depending on how much storage you have or pay for). The upside is that your "photo library" should be identical on all devices.. between iOS and OS X this wasn't a huge deal.. because photo stream and iPhoto import was usually enough to keep things synced up.. However on Windows now, it means your entire photo library on your phone (including native videos.. i.e. 120/240Hz) should automatically be synced with Windows as long as you have iCloud 4.0 installed.

Of course all of this is dependent on iPL being released next month.

Anyone update on the iPad air? Impressions? Thinking about getting rid of my jailbreak for now since the systems getting a bit choppy.

iPad Air works flawlessly for me.

Dany

Banned
it's night and day different. It's also not publicly out (sketchy beta). Basically the old/current way is you have all of your photos on your phone, and then your 1000 most recent photos are sent to your photostream which is then shared to all devices. You then have shared photo streams (not called icloud photo sharing) which you could separately and intentionally send photos to.

SO what is the new, icloud photo library?

The thing with custom keyboards is exactly the problem I had with everything when I was an Android user... I don't know exactly where the problem lies. It could be the app developer, it could be an iOS bug, it could be a combination of both. And with something as critical as the keyboard, it needs to "just work". It's the trade-off of having some extensibility, I guess.

Cse

Banned
Anyone else experiencing a slight delay with the appearance of the Control Center in the Messages app?

On my 5s, whenever I'm actually in a message thread, if I try to pull up Control Center, there is a slight delay before it appears. I'll swipe my thumb up, but Control Center won't appear for another ~1/2 second or so.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

borghe

SO what is the new, icloud photo library?

yeah, I updated above.. you "lost all of your photos" likely because you moved to iPL but because it's in beta and sketchy, it never copied your photos from your local device and photo stream to iPL first. Fortunately when you turned it off, all of your photos were still on your device and in Photostream.

As long as you are willing to pay for more than the 5GB free storage, iPL should actually be quite superior to things now. But at 5GB it likely won't really be feasible. I REALLY hope Apple just eliminates the 99¢ tier and just gives everyone 20GB.

Eurgh, why is the bottom row of icons STILL in front of an opaque strip???? This is so fucking annoying. Your wallpapers are essentially cut off and it just looks idiotic.

Updated my 5C this morning. So far, so good. Not too crazy that I have to go digging to see my photos now but, other than that, don't really see much of a difference, except for more apps I don't want that I have to hide.

I re arranged by extensions in Safari but it reverts back to old state. I have to keep doing MORE to get to 1Password. Is there a setting which makes the layout stay as it is

Man my friends and I had so much fun just messaging each other with just Quicktype suggestions. Felt like writing poetry man.

The sending location as well as audio / video is really handy. I didnt really care too much about it during WWDC but in practice its really helpful.

Dany

Banned
yeah, I updated above.. you "lost all of your photos" likely because you moved to iPL but because it's in beta and sketchy, it never copied your photos from your local device and photo stream to iPL first. Fortunately when you turned it off, all of your photos were still on your device and in Photostream.

As long as you are willing to pay for more than the 5GB free storage, iPL should actually be quite superior to things now. But at 5GB it likely won't really be feasible. I REALLY hope Apple just eliminates the 99¢ tier and just gives everyone 20GB.
Does it work with iphoto?

BDrummer1606

Neo Member
Quick question, just noticed on the lock screen there are two apps on the bottom of the screen in bottom left and bottom right, how do I turn off the app in the bottom left?

Quick question, just noticed on the lock screen there are two apps on the bottom of the screen in bottom left and bottom right, how do I turn off the app in the bottom left?

Those are app suggestions based on where you are at the moment; to turn them off go to "Settings > iTunes & App Store" and scroll down to the bottom to the "Suggested Apps" section - you can disable it from suggesting apps from the App Store, Apps already on your phone, or both.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Is the brightness slide in the control panel thing supposed to work in a different way our is that a bug too?

Megasoum

Banned
Sooo huh... Not sure I understand. I installed swiftkey, I added it to the keyboards list in settings and gave it full access but I still have the default keyboard everywhere?

I haven't noticed any performance hit on my 5s. Still runs lightning fast.

Yeah, Idk why the last ios 7 update has been fucking up my 5s a whole lot, but since i went to iOS8 ,this is exactly as fast as i remembered as first getting the phone if not better. Very impressed so far

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is there no way to turn off parallax while keeping the app open/close animations?

Top Bottom