• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Both my iPod touch 5 and iPad air seem to be working fine after the update. The only issue I've seen so far has been the SwiftKey keyboard takes a while to pop up :(

hyp

what's the use of using swiftkey over apple's predictive text? i'd guess the built-in stuff is better and less buggy.

Ragus

Banned
5s works like a dream, but I sometimes get some stuttering on Mini Retina, especially in Safari when I go to url.

Is it common?

kingocfs

So I can't use Swiftkey to quick-reply to texts on the lock screen? I only have that and emojis enabled and all I can use is emojis. :-(

Enco

what's the use of using swiftkey over apple's predictive text? i'd guess the built-in stuff is better and less buggy.
It's less buggy at the moment but it sucks in comparison.

Launcher seems like cool. Hope better options like this become available.

Picture from Macrumours
attachment.php

I read this like 3 times and I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. I'm sorry. :( Do you mean you have a bulk of photos from one moment and you want to save them all locally into an album?

Ok so say I have a 'Moment' section in my Photos tab. that moment has 151 Photos. 1 of the photos has a heart outline. In every moment section on the top right is a 'Share' link. If you click it, you have 2 options. 'Share moment' or 'Share select Photos' or something similar to those wordings. If you click Share moment, it will not show 'SAVE (151) PHOTOS' at the bottom of the share screen. However if you have a 'Moment' section where none of the Photos have the favorite outline at the bottom of the photo, then it does show 'SAVE (151) PHOTOS' at the bottom.

So really if you have even a single 'Moment' photo which has a favorite outline and you want to get all those moment photos saved locally, you have to chose them all one by one and then save them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Swype is a bit odd. If you type something it doesn't understand and it autocorrect, normally you go back and insist and it will stay. But Swype keeps changing it unless you force it by selecting your "wrong" spelling.

Secondly if you try and type apostrophes for quotes, it'll always push them back against the previous word as though you're trying to make a contraction. Same for colons which makes smileys difficult

Need to learn if there are any shortcuts too, like swiping up on . to make an apostrophe

I'm still having this weird random bug where I get locked out of Safari on my iPad once a day or maybe once every two days. I can't get it to replicate reliably, and I can't seem to fix it either by deleting all cookies and resetting Safari or by changing the cookies settings.

Vyer

Ok so say I have a 'Moment' section in my Photos tab. that moment has 151 Photos. 1 of the photos has a heart outline. In every moment section on the top right is a 'Share' link. If you click it, you have 2 options. 'Share moment' or 'Share select Photos' or something similar to those wordings. If you click Share moment, it will not show 'SAVE (151) PHOTOS' at the bottom of the share screen. However if you have a 'Moment' section where none of the Photos have the favorite outline at the bottom of the photo, then it does show 'SAVE (151) PHOTOS' at the bottom.

So really if you have even a single 'Moment' photo which has a favorite outline and you want to get all those moment photos saved locally, you have to chose them all one by one and then save them.

I think you would use Select in the top right (the top right of the screen, not the 'Share' button). If you then hit the 'select' option for a moment it would auto select all of those photos. You can then add them to an album and they are all saved locally.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I deleted some Photos, but their locations still show up when I search in the Photos app (and show the number of photos at that location). Anyway to clear this?

edit: reboot fixed

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Resetting network settings helped with the sluggishness on my 4S, so that's worth a try if you have an older model. Hopefully 8.0.1 smoothes out the kinks.

Looking forward to upgrading to a 6 this year though.

kottila

Why would they move the bookmarks over to the left of the address bar? Now I need to train up my left hand to be as accurate and fast as my right

dLMN8R

I seriously cannot believe how badly Apple shafts users of moderately old devices.

In this case, I'm using the latest generation iPod Touch. There is literally nothing faster that I could buy even if I wanted it. More than half of its 32GB storage is free.

Performance is utterly terrible after installing the update. Control Center on the lock screen takes at least 5-6 tries when previously it would always work on the first try. Apps load slower. Playback controls on Control Center are less responsive. It just feels like I swapped this iPod Touch for the previous-generation.

And yet....there's barely anything new that my iPod Touch can make use of. App extensions might be neat, but I'm not using any now, so they shouldn't be slowing down my device. Third-party keyboards are cool, but I have none installed, and I don't type on the device enough for it to really be necessary. Notification Center's updates are nice in concept, but again I'm not using any apps that make use of it yet so that doesn't excuse the slowdown.

How does this happen? And why does Apple always get away with it? Yuck.

Ashhong

Why is my wallpaper dim on this? I'm coming from 7.0.4 I think and it's noticably dimmer on the lock screen as well as the background :(

kottila

is this buggy as fuck for anyone else?

Things, especially the keyboard, are very laggy and bug out for me for no reason.

When scrollimg down through a thread I get this annoying white blink on both my ipad and phone. And I'm able to keep less tabs loaded in the background. A downgrade so far

Edit. And I can't stand that I have to manually close (with my left hand!) the bookmark bar on the ipad every time I open it

ramyeon

I have to say I'm glad I'm not experiencing any of the buginess on this that others are. Feels pretty stable overall really.

Instant hotspot doesn't seem to work for me between my iPad mini retina and my iPhone 5.

Does anyone know how this should work?? I can manually search for my hotspot in the WiFi network list after I enter my iPhone manually and enable personal hotspot.. But it doesn't appear in my instant hotspot list.

Do I need Bluetooth on or something?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
can anyone detail for me the fancy new keyboard stuff and how to enable etc?

edit: nvm got it. didn't realise keyboards were just apps now

2Crisis

So what's the secret to getting the phone update downloaded?

Tried last night and it was crawling with ~ 52 hours remaining.
Trying again right now and it's still so slow. ~ 33 hours remaining

ramyeon

It completely throws off the flow of using my . phone. So no, it's actually quite bad.
Thankfully all you have to do is swipe down ;) it's not a huge bug in that it stops you from doing what you want to do, it's just a bit of a pain in the ass. I imagine it will get fixed pretty quick.

The worst thing is hands down the new photo management.

I seriously cannot believe how badly Apple shafts users of moderately old devices.

In this case, I'm using the latest generation iPod Touch. There is literally nothing faster that I could buy even if I wanted it. More than half of its 32GB storage is free.

Performance is utterly terrible after installing the update. Control Center on the lock screen takes at least 5-6 tries when previously it would always work on the first try. Apps load slower. Playback controls on Control Center are less responsive. It just feels like I swapped this iPod Touch for the previous-generation.

And yet....there's barely anything new that my iPod Touch can make use of. App extensions might be neat, but I'm not using any now, so they shouldn't be slowing down my device. Third-party keyboards are cool, but I have none installed, and I don't type on the device enough for it to really be necessary. Notification Center's updates are nice in concept, but again I'm not using any apps that make use of it yet so that doesn't excuse the slowdown.

How does this happen? And why does Apple always get away with it? Yuck.

IPod have been an afterthought for Apple for a number of years

So what's the secret to getting the phone update downloaded?

Tried last night and it was crawling with ~ 52 hours remaining.
Trying again right now and it's still so slow. ~ 33 hours remaining

I'd guess just keep trying? I updated my iPad, iPod Touch, and AppleTV with zero problems. Took a relatively short time with all three in my case, and I had far fewer problems than ever in the past.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

SwiftKey has been doing predictive text for years, so I'd guess they're probably better at it than Apple. It also has swipe typing, which is so awesome. Much faster than tap typing once you're used to it.

Alchemy

"Hey, Siri" is pretty awesome in my car. The recognition is a little wonky though. Time to finally start using Siri for things.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
either this is a coincidence or maybe it's my ipad but my download speeds are just complete shit on the ipad air after upgrading to ios 8. In comparison, I am able to get my purchase speeds on my iphone and computer just fine. This is fucked up.

edit: power cycling the device seems to have worked, hopefully it does not happen again.

So transparency. The new control center transparency really bothers me. Not having that faint outline of my items behind the control center makes me want to not use it.

It pops up like a big grey block now. I remember that with iOS7, many people went and turned on the reduce contrast which gave them less transparency, but there seems to be no way to increase it.

still testing it out.

2Crisis

I'd guess just keep trying? I updated my iPad, iPod Touch, and AppleTV with zero problems. Took a relatively short time with all three in my case, and I had far fewer problems than ever in the past.

Lame :(

I have a conspiracy theory that verizon is throttling my fios connection to the apple update servers

Kuroyume

Banned
Noticed a decrease in performance of my 5s when scrolling through the artists lists or album lists in the music player. It even lags when I press forward to move to the next track.

HGStormy

Banned
Totally anecdotal, but after updating to iOS8 on my dad's 5th gen iTouch, it's the first time I've seen the spotlight search function pull down smoothly. No jerkiness like before.

Holy shit, is anyone else's battery getting destroyed on the 5S? I'm only halfway through the day and I'm at below 50% on very moderate usage.

Top Bottom