• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Knoxcore

I don't own an iOS device but my mom's iPad Mini is slow as hell and my aunt iPhone 4S experienced a random restart. I may have to downgrade their software if it continues.

kingocfs

Lot of horror stories here. Faulty Safari, buggy notification center, alarms that won't shut off, music persisting through calls? What in the world.

5S and iPad 3 owner. I'll wait till this garbage gets sorted out.
I'm using a 5S and other than the occasional SwiftKey hiccup it's running fine.

Iacobellis

Haven't had any issues on iOS 8 so far this past week. I'm running the GM.

This year, it seems like the GM is different from the public release. For one thing, only the developer betas and the public version have Shazam integration with Siri.

Ghazi

I don't own an iOS device but my mom's iPad Mini is slow as hell and my aunt iPhone 4S experienced a random restart. I may have to downgrade their software if it continues.

Unless you've saved your shs blobs (I haven't kept up with the jailbreaking scene, so this may not be the case anymore), you can't downgrade...

leroidys

Decided to see if Siri works yet after the update.

"Play giant bomb"

"Now starting a facetime call with Bobby Green"

WHAT THE FUCK NO.

giga

Those fools can't even read the GM seed notes.

dRwVyFR.png

Just tried it on GM:

Skunkers

FWIW, my 4S was slow when I installed the GM a few days ago, but it's almost back to normal now. I have no idea if it's reorganizing or something in the background that causes performance issues.

AngryMoth

I don't remeber what it's called but there was this keyboard add on I use to have when I was jail broken where you could swipe on the keyboard like a trackpad to move around the cursor when typing which is great since the usual method is pretty cumbersome. Anything on the App Store have a feature like this?

ZeroX03

Banned
FWIW, my 4S was slow when I installed the GM a few days ago, but it's almost back to normal now. I have no idea if it's reorganizing or something in the background that causes performance issues.

Every phone is a bit slow at first for spotlight indexing, that could contribute. For the first couple of hours my phone was jerking around when browsing the music library, but it's stopped now.

I don't remeber what it's called but there was this keyboard add on I use to have when I was jail broken where you could swipe on the keyboard like a trackpad to move around the cursor when typing which is great since the usual method is pretty cumbersome. Anything on the App Store have a feature like this?
Not yet to my knowledge but the landscape keyboard on the 6 Plus has cursor keys for positioning...
tiKUa6U.jpg

dLMN8R

Sorry, but your statement is baseless hyperbole. Hell, it's mostly not even applicable to the other mobile platforms you mentioned as most of the time they won't even GET the new OS revision.

New features use more overhead which taxes older hardware. It's really not rocket science. Frankly complaining in the face of three year old hardware even getting the latest and greatest OS in the first place seems a little self righteous. Does Apple want you to upgrade? Sure I won't deny that. Are they sabotaging you to push you? You may want to loosen up your tin foil hat just a little.

Edit - in regards to the ipod touch, it's basically an iPhone 4s I believe. Yeah Apple has always treated the iPod touch line as baby's first iphone. It sucks, yes. But even though it came out in 2012 your largely using a 2011 iphone. Your 2012 comparison would be an iPhone 5 which runs iOS8 pretty nicely.

Apple is, right now, selling that same iPod Touch for $199-299 and it comes with iOS 8. That's unacceptable. They're selling a device at a high-end price that does not run will with the software that comes on it.

It's not "hyperbole". It's a new reality of forced obsolescence that does not need to exist. "New features more overhead" is an immensely simplistic mindset that is absolutely not a universal truth to operating system development.

Windows Vista to 7 to 8 to 8.1: Every new release used fewer resources and ran faster despite adding a huge number of new features. Today 8.1 can even run on devices with 1GB of ram and 16GB storage, something that Vista couldn't do nearly a decade ago.

Xbox 360 and PS3: New OS releases added a ton of features without slowing them down (out of necessity, of course, but it still refutes the argument of "new features more overhead").

Android 4.4: Improved battery life of existing devices, made older devices run more smoothly. I recognize that older versions of Android were worse about this.

Windows Phone 8.1: Added a boatload of new features, didn't slow down two-year-old devices that shipped with 8.0. Same with 7.5 and 7.8 when 7.0 devices upgraded to it.

Jobiensis

Apple is, right now, selling that same iPod Touch for $199-299 and it comes with iOS 8. That's unacceptable. They're selling a device at a high-end price that does not run will with the software that comes on it.

It's not "hyperbole". It's a new reality of forced obsolescence that does not need to exist. "New features more overhead" is an immensely simplistic mindset that is absolutely not a universal truth to operating system development.

Windows Vista to 7 to 8 to 8.1: Every new release used fewer resources and ran faster despite adding a huge number of new features. Today 8.1 can even run on devices with 1GB of ram and 16GB storage, something that Vista couldn't do nearly a decade ago.

Xbox 360 and PS3: New OS releases added a ton of features without slowing them down (out of necessity, of course, but it still refutes the argument of "new features more overhead").

Android 4.4: Improved battery life of existing devices, made older devices run more smoothly. I recognize that older versions of Android were worse about this.

Windows Phone 8.1: Added a boatload of new features, didn't slow down two-year-old devices that shipped with 8.0. Same with 7.5 and 7.8 when 7.0 devices upgraded to it.

It is probably indexing.

Windows got faster because it was an un-optimized bloated mess.

Doesn't Apple stop signing anything but the latest release for a device, effectively preventing a downgrade even through DFU because the check with Apple servers will fail?

Yep. Whoever says that isn't true is a total idiot!
As a matter of fact, Apple is still signing 7.1.2, so for those who want to downgrade, don't wait to long.

Just FYI, Apple never closes the signing window for the previous OS version right after they release the newest OS version.

Couple of issues

- Swift key is buggy as hell.
- Changing songs on the lock screen doesn't register a lot of the time because the hitbox on the ⏩ button was nerfed
- Battery dying faster
- Why doesn't the regular weather app work in the notification centre
- Couldn't type anything in Safari without closing it because the keyboard wouldnt show up

I am still looking for allot of things that will make me go and say "wow, this is spectacular!" Despite the whole swype keyboard. I had no idea such a thing would make such a huge difference.

Perhaps when more developers support ios8 I will finally see the potential.

Vyer

Supposedly Twitter app has a new update for iOS 8. I'm using Tweetbot but curious to see what the design looks like.

How is Swype different from iOS 8 QuickType, exactly?
Would you say it is worth getting?

It works better for me because the keyboard runs and looks better on my iPhone 5 and Swiftkey seems to somehow struggle a bit more.

Also the added fact that swype is the only one which supports flow at the moment on the iPad makes it the superior version for me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
CAnt wait for lightbow to get a notification center widget.

The battery indicator on my 5s is really screwy. Just right now while replying to a different topic I noticed my battery had been sitting at 31% the past hour or so. Then just now I literally saw the battery tick down to 28% in less than 3 minutes.

And I'm definitely getting way worse battery life now. My battery was never this low at the end of the day.

EDIT : THE FUCK. The battery went down to 26 literally just now, in the time it took to write this out!

Enco

Wasn't as bad as this but they had some pretty dumb stuff. For example, Apple removed the ability to delete single songs or install them from iTunes Music. They do some mindblowingly stupid stuff sometimes.

Yup

So far:
- Keyboard issues (reverting to original keyboard, covering up text messages, not always opening, no dictation button)
- Spotlight search sometimes doesn't load up suggestions
- The battery for me is really really bad (3.5 hours until dead) UPDATE: day 2 and slightly better but still awful.
- Wifi constantly disconnects and reconnects after 4-5 minutes
- Sharing sheets reset their order
- Trying to move the last item in the spotlight search crashes the settings app
- I don't like the swipe to delete function in Mail because of the ease of accidentally removing stuff
- Lag when loading keyboard in Spotlight
- Not a bug but the way widgets are done really stop you from using more than 2-3. Having to scroll through lots of different widgets doesn't work well
- Fast forwarding in videos doesn't work propely at all
- Wifi is sloooow
- It's very easy to accidentally open an app from notifications center
Updated my list of issues. Not having a lot of fun as the issues are big.

As a side note, with Launcher you can add shortcuts for directions using Google Maps. This is amazing.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Couple of issues

- Swift key is buggy as hell.
- Changing songs on the lock screen doesn't register a lot of the time because the hitbox on the ⏩ button was nerfed
- Battery dying faster
- Why doesn't the regular weather app work in the notification centre
- Couldn't type anything in Safari without closing it because the keyboard wouldnt show up
Enable weather the same way as iOS 7, turn on location service for the app. Make sure Today Summary widget is on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The only method they can guarantee on any platform is Exchange Push. However this isn't free from MS. So to implement it they have to license it from MS (ActiveSync to be precise). They actually DO enable their own push on other platforms but you then have to use the Gmail app. Of course they could work with Apple and MS to get their own push into those OSes but... Yeah... Not sure anyone is going to work together on that.

Annoying but you can work around it by forwarding from Gmail to something like outlook and using that account for notifications. So you get a notification via push and then if it is something you want to read you can just force a refresh in the native mail app

These keyboards are so buggy, half the time SwiftKey doesn't even pop up, when iMessage does pop up the predictive word feature isn't even there half the time

TomServo

New photos app is a fucking disaster.

Perfect example of "fixing" something that wasn't broken, and screwing it up in the process.

Man

Has Chrome been updated with Nitro (Javascript Engine) yet? Apple made this available to all apps with iOS8.

ZeroX03

Banned
Edit: whoops, wrong thread!

My iOS8 has been great since I drained the battery and gave the system a reboot. Hope they fix the text not aligning with keyboards bug though, one thing that annoys me.

Im about to go to work in three hours

how painless is this upgrade?
I have a 5S
several different accounts for mail etc. of who two are two-factor authentication

Am I better off doing this over the weekend?

Ambitious

Changing the brightness feels so weird.

• First you open Control Center. The content "behind" (visible above CC) is dimmed.
  • You touch the brightness slider. The content is brightened.
  • Adjust the brightness as you wish and let go of the slider. The content is dimmed again.
  • Close Control Center. The content is brightened again.
The logic behind this behavior is obvious - you want to see how bright or dark your actual screen content will be. I find it jarring nevertheless.

FerranMG

Changing the brightness feels so weird.

• First you open Control Center. The content "behind" (visible above CC) is dimmed.
  • You touch the brightness slider. The content is brightened.
  • Adjust the brightness as you wish and let go of the slider. The content is dimmed again.
  • Close Control Center. The content is brightened again.
The logic behind this behavior is obvious - you want to see how bright or dark your actual screen content will be. I find it jarring nevertheless.

Haha, absolutely agree.

Also, now that we are talking about brightness, the minimum brightness level in the iPad Air is too damn bright. Using it in a dark room is blinding.

Futureman

Anyone have a nice comparison between Swype and SwiftKey? SwiftKey has been very nice for me so far, but it does seem a bit buggy (expected).

I should probably just try it for $1, but if it's not really better maybe I'll wait for SwiftKey to get the bugs out.

I really wish widgets in the today view had the ability to disappear if they have no information to share. Calendar and Worldmate are taking up space even though they have nothing to tell me right now.

Top Bottom