• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

hyp

SwiftKey has been doing predictive text for years, so I'd guess they're probably better at it than Apple. It also has swipe typing, which is so awesome. Much faster than tap typing once you're used to it.

cool, i'll have to try it out. how does swipe typing work?

Ashhong

So transparency. The new control center transparency really bothers me. Not having that faint outline of my items behind the control center makes me want to not use it.

It pops up like a big grey block now. I remember that with iOS7, many people went and turned on the reduce contrast which gave them less transparency, but there seems to be no way to increase it.

still testing it out.

Yea the colors are more muted than before. Not a fan. Wish it had more color popping in the background.

Is nobody else surprised or frustrated with the dimming of the wallpaper? I have a bright picture of a woman and it darkens it so much to make the icons stand out. Hate it.

Also hate the look of the playlist section in music. I do all my music in playlist and they have simplified to an ugly list. Just hideous. All they need to do is put the album art back at the very least.

ramyeon

Noticed a decrease in performance of my 5s when scrolling through the artists lists or album lists in the music player. It even lags when I press forward to move to the next track.
Don't get any performance issues there with my 5. So it may be spotlight indexing if you just updated or maybe try restoring to iOS 8 instead of updating to iOS 8.

°°ToMmY°°;130664282 said:
Browser really got worse, crashes more and loads slower. Wish i could revert back to ios7. As it stands it just made my device worse.

Ipad air btw

Ugh really? Safari wasn't the most stable thing in iOS7 on an iPad Mini Retina. I can't believe it's worse.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ugh really? Safari wasn't the most stable thing in iOS7 on an iPad Mini Retina. I can't believe it's worse.

Had a bunch of crashes and nearly unbearably slow loading on wifi when I first updated, but after I reset my network settings it's been back to normal again. Could be the same thing he (and many others) are experiencing.

Dez

Really loving handoff from iPhone to iPad. Can switch from gaf on iPhone to gaf on the iPad so easily! Much better than waiting for iCloud tabs to refresh.

bionic77

Browser really got worse, crashes more and loads slower. Wish i could revert back to ios7. As it stands it just made my device worse.

Ipad air btw
Opposite experience for me on the 5S.

Only bug for me is that when I take a call the music keeps playing in background instead of pausing.

Been surprised how much battery my home and lock screen take up.

Really hope I can get back to 4 levels of battery with the 6. My battery sucked with moth the 4S and 5Sz. The 5 was like 90% of the 4 on LTE and equal in wifi.

epmode

I don't like how Safari takes a second before the Open in New Tab menu opens when holding your finger on a link. It also takes a second before the new tab actually opens. Happens in my iPad 3 and iPhone 5.

Doesn't sound like much but it's noticeable every time!

Carlisle

I'm trying it now. Will update with results.

Edit:
33.26 mbps!

Thanks for the tip! In the other threads I'd read, it seemed most people tried that to no avail so I didn't want to waste my time. Also I was annoyed that I should even have to reset all my network settings just to unbreak the update, but oh well. At least I'm back up and running. Thanks again.

Welp, false alarm! Wifi is junk after all. Not only did it go back to slow speeds, the speed test won't even register a ping. I can't even start the speed test on wifi. LTE flies as well as it ever has, and wifi works great on my iOS8 iPhone 5 and all the iOS7 devices. But on my iOS8 iPad Air, it's toast.

The peculiar thing, however, is if I stand right next to my router, the iPad wifi gets back up to 35+mbps. But anything more than 3-5 feet away and the connection quality plummets, and it's totally dead at 15 feet.

I've rebooted multiple times and reset the network settings, which worked for a little while but it reverted. WTF?

Got logged out of NeoGAF again. Safari is also not remembering the order of the share extensions in the shared drawer. Also dictation is now over writing previously written text so I had to do this post twice. This is starting to get frustrating and I wish the Safari buns would get fixed.

Oh, and for some reason Contacts isn't displaying people's photos properly. I center their faces in the middle of the circle, but later it just appears to circle whatever is in the middle of the photo.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is there still no way to get push for Gmail using the iOS Mail app?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is there still no way to get push for Gmail using the iOS Mail app?

It was disabled by Google on non-Android devices in 2012, unless you have a Google Apps for Business account.

There are some work-arounds out there, I forward my Gmail emails to another Outlook account which is push enabled and has my Gmail address as the default reply-with email which makes it so I technically email with my Gmail but via Outlook. Seamless both for me and receivers once it's set up.

Vyer

Ipad air btw

I haven't had any crashes on my air. I remember the initial release of 7 caused a lot more crashes. I did restore as new though, so maybe that's the same as the network reset

Ermac

It was disabled by Google on non-Android devices in 2012, unless you have a Google Apps for Business account.

There are some work-arounds out there, I forward my Gmail emails to another Outlook account which is push enabled and has my Gmail address as the default reply-with email which makes it so I technically email with my Gmail but via Outlook. Seamless both for me and receivers once it's set up.

I see. I guess the closet I could do (minus your method) is to fetch every 15 minutes?

jts

...hate me...
I seriously cannot believe how badly Apple shafts users of moderately old devices.

In this case, I'm using the latest generation iPod Touch. There is literally nothing faster that I could buy even if I wanted it. More than half of its 32GB storage is free.

Performance is utterly terrible after installing the update. Control Center on the lock screen takes at least 5-6 tries when previously it would always work on the first try. Apps load slower. Playback controls on Control Center are less responsive. It just feels like I swapped this iPod Touch for the previous-generation.

And yet....there's barely anything new that my iPod Touch can make use of. App extensions might be neat, but I'm not using any now, so they shouldn't be slowing down my device. Third-party keyboards are cool, but I have none installed, and I don't type on the device enough for it to really be necessary. Notification Center's updates are nice in concept, but again I'm not using any apps that make use of it yet so that doesn't excuse the slowdown.

How does this happen? And why does Apple always get away with it? Yuck.
Latest generation iPod touch is still 2011 silicon. Which is a lightyear in the mobile space.

Hope they update it this year, if only for the sake of iPod buyers, and at least with the A7 hopefully.

dLMN8R

Latest generation iPod touch is still 2011 silicon. Which is a lightyear in the mobile space.

Hope they update it this year, if only for the sake of iPod buyers, and at least with the A7 hopefully.

That does not excuse anything. Every Windows/Windows Phone/Android device I've ever used tends to get faster with each update, not slower. That's even true for Macs. Of every phone/tablet/desktop/laptop OS out there, it seems like only iOS manages to totally screw up performance with every passing release.

Guess Who

Banned
That does not excuse anything. Every Windows/Windows Phone/Android device I've ever used tends to get faster with each update, not slower. That's even true for Macs. Of every phone/tablet/desktop/laptop OS out there, it seems like only iOS manages to totally screw up performance with every passing release.

lol

Former Nexus S owner here, let me tell you why that's bullshit.

dLMN8R

lol

Former Nexus S owner here, let me tell you why that's bullshit.

I'll give you that one since I've used more Windows devices than Android devices. I'm talking more recent releases of Android which have focused on performance and low-end device support.

My specific example is my current phone, a Lumia 920, came out in late-2012, but has the same hardware as many Android phones which released in Q1 2012. Essentially three-year-old silicon. Today it's about the same or faster running the latest OS, two years later, despite having a massive amount of new features.

My iPod Touch isn't just significantly slower than it was before, it's frustrating due to the OS being unresponsive. It reminds me of when I used to have an iPhone 3G and encountered exactly this when upgrading to iOS 4.

And this is before I even started using the new features the OS offers. It just....being there, looking identical, did this.

Mindwipe

Welp, false alarm! Wifi is junk after all. Not only did it go back to slow speeds, the speed test won't even register a ping. I can't even start the speed test on wifi. LTE flies as well as it ever has, and wifi works great on my iOS8 iPhone 5 and all the iOS7 devices. But on my iOS8 iPad Air, it's toast.

The peculiar thing, however, is if I stand right next to my router, the iPad wifi gets back up to 35+mbps. But anything more than 3-5 feet away and the connection quality plummets, and it's totally dead at 15 feet.

I've rebooted multiple times and reset the network settings, which worked for a little while but it reverted. WTF?

Yeah, iOS8 just has completely broken wifi.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Sorry, but your statement is baseless hyperbole. Hell, it's mostly not even applicable to the other mobile platforms you mentioned as most of the time they won't even GET the new OS revision.

New features use more overhead which taxes older hardware. It's really not rocket science. Frankly complaining in the face of three year old hardware even getting the latest and greatest OS in the first place seems a little self righteous. Does Apple want you to upgrade? Sure I won't deny that. Are they sabotaging you to push you? You may want to loosen up your tin foil hat just a little.

Edit - in regards to the ipod touch, it's basically an iPhone 4s I believe. Yeah Apple has always treated the iPod touch line as baby's first iphone. It sucks, yes. But even though it came out in 2012 your largely using a 2011 iphone. Your 2012 comparison would be an iPhone 5 which runs iOS8 pretty nicely.

I don't think so. Google disabled that for non-android devices.
To be fair this isn't 100% accurate. They disabled Exchange Push on ALL devices not on Google Apps For Business. Because Google controls Android they are able to do a different method of push.

So it's strange with calling from my iPad via my iPhone. I can dial a contact but it just occurred to me there is no diaper in ipad. So I can't manually enter a number.

Am I wrong about that?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
To be fair this isn't 100% accurate. They disabled Exchange Push on ALL devices not on Google Apps For Business. Because Google controls Android they are able to do a different method of push.

What is the different method of push that they use on Android, and why is that method not available on other platforms? Also, why did they disable Exchange Push? Sounds like a technicality. They effectively disabled it on all consumer devices, not using Android.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've only upgraded my iPad mini so far. Haven't had too much time to dive deep into it so I've really only noticed the safari changes. I'm very curious about Transmit for iOS8 though.

I've been having apps crash randomly since the update. Also, my battery life hasn't been consistent at all on my iPhone 5. I hope this is patched up soon.

ZeroX03

Banned

Galaxy S3, Nexus 7 and Nvidia Shield all suffered from their updates. Personal experience. (if you google it though, they aren't problems specific to me)

Ran into an issue where some of my phone/FaceTime contacts were favorited but the OS didn't realize it.

Removing them and re-adding them seemed to fix things.

Also noticed my Mail.app VIPs apparently got nuked so I need to re-add them again.

Ermac

Anyone with T-Mobile? I thought they were going to add Wi-fi calling. I don't see it in Phone Settings. Anyone else?

Magnus

Lot of horror stories here. Faulty Safari, buggy notification center, alarms that won't shut off, music persisting through calls? What in the world.

5S and iPad 3 owner. I'll wait till this garbage gets sorted out.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
What is the different method of push that they use on Android, and why is that method not available on other platforms? Also, why did they disable Exchange Push? Sounds like a technicality. They effectively disabled it on all consumer devices, not using Android.
The only method they can guarantee on any platform is Exchange Push. However this isn't free from MS. So to implement it they have to license it from MS (ActiveSync to be precise). They actually DO enable their own push on other platforms but you then have to use the Gmail app. Of course they could work with Apple and MS to get their own push into those OSes but... Yeah... Not sure anyone is going to work together on that.

Top Bottom