• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

so, is there a setting for being able to swipe delete emails from the lock screen without needing to put in your password every time? It sort of defeats the purpose a bit if i have to put my password in to delete emails from the lock screen

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I really wish widgets in the today view had the ability to disappear if they have no information to share. Calendar and Worldmate are taking up space even though they have nothing to tell me right now.

Widgets in the today view are just a wasted opportunity to me. Having a two state pull down drawer is confusing - let it be just for notifications. Then let us have widgets on the home screen like that mockup showed (using the existing icon grids). Widgets are for glancable information and you can't glance at something when it is hidden.

I forgive apple though simply because extensions and 3rd party keyboards are so awesome

Ninja Dom

Ninja Tip:

For those who miss having the Camera Roll folder in Photos, simply manually create a folder on the phone, in Photos, and call it "Camera Roll".

From then you can select the pictures you take from the Recently Added and put them on your new Camera Roll folder.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
cool, i'll have to try it out. how does swipe typing work?

You just make a continuous swiping motion through all the letters of the word you're trying to type, instead of tapping each one. Usually works very well, and especially one-handed it's much faster than normal typing.

Oh also, what's the difference between Swype and SwiftKey and which one would you say is better?

SwiftKey: Better word predictions.
Swype: More accurate swipe typing.

...is the general consensus, I think. There are also other little things that work differently between them, so you really need to try them both out and see which one you like best. Or just try the one that's free (which I believe SK is but Swype isn't right now?) and see if you're happy with it.

problem is that when I activate iCloud drive in the client it says that documents on iCloud will only be accessible on iOS or Yosemite.

which makes it pretty worthless to me since I will not be able to access them on my windows PCs. I do not consider icloud drive to be available on windows due to this, even if there is an icloud client available.

so my question maybe should have been phrased: "when will I be able to access iCloud documents on my windows PCs?"

Iolo

Haha, absolutely agree.

Also, now that we are talking about brightness, the minimum brightness level in the iPad Air is too damn bright. Using it in a dark room is blinding.

That's why I keep "invert colors" mapped to the triple-click on the home button.

Guess Who

Banned
problem is that when I activate iCloud drive in the client it says that documents on iCloud will only be accessible on iOS or Yosemite.

which makes it pretty worthless to me since I will not be able to access them on my windows PCs. I do not consider icloud drive to be available on windows due to this, even if there is an icloud client available.

so my question maybe should have been phrased: "when will I be able to access iCloud documents on my windows PCs?"

iCloud Drive is accessible with iCloud for Windows.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Haha, absolutely agree.

Also, now that we are talking about brightness, the minimum brightness level in the iPad Air is too damn bright. Using it in a dark room is blinding.
Make sure to reduce white point under Accessibility > Increase Contrast if you haven't.

I don't use it on the phone but on the iPad I have the toggle on to make it less bright in dark room situations.

Majine

Banned

I wouldn't use iCloud Drive if all my devices weren't Apple. Use Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive.

sangreal

you can do it today. that warning is just telling people you can't access it with non-upgraded apple devices

cloud.png

Alright, how does HealthKit work? Where do you start?

So far, Healthkit basically doesn't seem to do much at all. I hooked it to myfitnesspal but it doesn't seem to be pulling any info at all from it, the only data it seems to be accessing for me is ordinary step data from the M7. I remember reading that there were some Healthkit issues at launch though, so maybe that stuff will get fixed. Was my most anticipated feature of iOS 8, ha-

Enco

Another problem:

Resetting my phone made Swiftkey reset. Had to go back into the settings, disable and enable full access for it to work again.

Healthkit sucks at the moment. Don't see a use for it at all. Medical ID is cool but that's about it really. Maybe we'll see cool stuff in the future.

Man all these people with issues. Using the GM on my 4S has been a smooth experience, battery life is amazing. Went to a friend's house with 25% battery life, stayed until 11pm with 5% left after making a phone call and surfing the net looking for that 2NE1 song that plays during the MS Surface 3 commercial.

Foov

Installed iOS 8 on my iPad 3 and now it is constantly crashing/resetting itself - seems to last about 3-4 min before it crashes - restarts - repeats.

Dany

Banned
Ninja Tip:

For those who miss having the Camera Roll folder in Photos, simply manually create a folder on the phone, in Photos, and call it "Camera Roll".

From then you can select the pictures you take from the Recently Added and put them on your new Camera Roll folder.

That doesn't fix anything. lol

Installed iOS 8 on my iPad 3 and now it is constantly crashing/resetting itself - seems to last about 3-4 min before it crashes - restarts - repeats.

It's been fine for me on my ipad 3, outside of web pages seeming to take longer to load than before by a noticeable amount.

What's the easiest, most hassle-free way to format my phone? My 5s has been getting chunky over the past few months, so it think it's time to reset--I just don't want to find and re-download my apps individually.

mollipen

Something I don't understand about this. In the promotion of Health/Healthkit, I swear they showed something about medication reminders. So, I expected that would be part of the app. Was that instead just showing off what you can do by plugging into other apps?

If so, bleh. I don't want to have to download a bunch of separate apps just to make Health usable.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If I update over wifi (could do it at work with our insane wifi speeds) it won't wipe my phone will it? Or will I be better off doing this when I get home over the weekend?

Dany

Banned
If I update over wifi (could do it at work with our insane wifi speeds) it won't wipe my phone will it? Or will I be better off doing this when I get home over the weekend?

It won't wipe your phone. but it asks for 2-3 gigs of free space.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I think I like Swype better than swiftkey. It seems quite a bit more accurate. Though I like that swiftkey has the cloud feature to save it's learning. Hopefully Swype adds that later.

dock

Any experiences with the iPad 4? My GF has this model, and is thinking of upgrading.

New photos app is a fucking disaster.

Perfect example of "fixing" something that wasn't broken, and screwing it up in the process.

I love the new photos app so much. I love the new editing tools (rotate and fine contrast/exposure control, etc). I love that photo editing apps can be integrated.

Even simple things like 'deleted pictures' are such a step forward. I want to clean out my photos but having a 30 day grace period is a smart move.

tauke

Any experiences with the iPad 4? My GF has this model, and is thinking of upgrading.

I have one and so far it works fine. Although I did OTA update as iTunes just keep giving me error of failing to contact the server which prompted me to delete so many apps.

The only thing that bug me a lot is the new Safari update which seems sluggish to me compared to iOS7. Bookmark sidebar have this weird choppy animation when you toggle it (and Apple why move it to the left when it has been on the right of the address bar?!!!) and the viewport sometimes turn to black when you scroll.

mollipen

I loathe the update just because I can't access a place where all my damn pictures are. Why do they have to complicate shit? SMH

Don't you see all of your photos under the "Photos" option?

And Apple, if you're going to murder iPhone on iOS, at least give Photos tagging support. Would doing so really kill you?

TomServo

So I think my issue with the photos app is due to corporate lockdown of iCloud. I don't have the option to turn on iCloud drive, or to use iCloud photo library.

Without that, and with camera roll and photo stream gone, my photos across three devices (two of which are corporate issued) are a total mess.

I understand it's not entirely Apple's doing, but making a basic function dependent on features that can be disabled fucking sucks. Now to find pictures I have to scroll through locations and dates.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hate that Photos won't be out for a while. I almost want to remove all my photos from iPhoto right now, organize them into folders myself, sync that folder via iTunes instead, turn off iCloud Photo Stream and use DropBox Upload instead and wait for Photos to come out then try and import them all back in at that time. I mean I do have 1TB of DropBox available right now.

Just so I don't have to ever launch iPhoto again. The only problem is I'd lose all my Faces and Places so I keep it around for now. Launch it once in a while to sync my stream and manage some of the photos I don't want. Then quit it again.

Don't you see all of your photos under the "Photos" option?

And Apple, if you're going to murder iPhone on iOS, at least give Photos tagging support. Would doing so really kill you?

No. It's either I see the recently added folder or see all my photos as collection but not everything in one place without the dates and shit separating pictures.

Top Bottom