• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Blackhead

Redarse
Couple observations/questions from trying out the 6 Plus at the Apple Store:

1) Every year I complain that Apple only offers a portrait screen rotation lock for the iPhones. It's completely inexcusable that Apple hasn't fixed this bug, especially on the 6 Plus with its landscape mode features

2) Is there a list of apps/developers that will support the 6 Plus landscape mode features?

3) The landscape keyboard sucks. don't know why Apple stuck the letter keys in the middle instead of at the end like on the iPad. I can see why theverge was complaining about hitting the delete key when he meant to press enter. Also the cursor control keys can't be held down like an arrow key but have to be tapped to move one space each time. wtf?!

4) Wasn't there supposed to be a 'request desktop site' in the browser for iOS8?

Not sold on the iOS8 taking advantage of the bigger 5.5" screen just yet

LevelNth

Banned
is it just me or are 3rd party keyboards kinda glitchy atm (iphone 5 and ipad mini retina)?

No rhyme or reason for the keyboard to return to the default keyboard, and there is noticeable lag/not smooth transition when you click on text fields to bring up the keyboard.
Yup there's quirks that need working out still. When you open a 3rd party keyboard in Messages it doesn't auto scroll the text field either, so you have to manually scroll up to see the latest message.

For me though, having never owned an Android, holy wow is SwiftKey awesome as all hell. Never going back.

Corgi

Banned
yeah, i know swiftkey is in its 'learning me' phase, but its still pretty interesting to see some of the suggestions it thinks im gonna type. its awesome when its right, and hilarious when its completely off base.

cjp

4) Wasn't there supposed to be a 'request desktop site' in the browser for iOS8?

There is. Tap address bar then pull down. You'll see options for Add to Favourites and Request Desktop Site.

Text selection seems fucked on 8, unless it's GAF that's being glitchy.

Blackhead

Redarse
There is. Tap address bar then pull down. You'll see options for Add to Favourites and Request Desktop Site.

Thanks, I'd be using that often on the 6 Plus. Hope there's a way to make the setting more permanent. Some sites were still showing the iPhone mobile views optimized for 3.5" screens :/

Enco

163GCXS.png
Launcher is cool.

Just noticed you can't use keyboard shortcuts with a new keyboard. So all the ones I've added are useless. Man oh man.

Don't you have to ask Siri to identify the song first? It's annoying as shit. I wish it was like on Windows Phone, where there's a button for it.

All you do is pull up Siri and say Shazam. Simple as that. You used to not have to say anything in earlier iOS 8 betas, but it would misinterpret what was a song and what wasn't, so now you have to say Shazam.

All you do is pull up Siri and say Shazam. Simple as that. You used to not have to say anything in earlier iOS 8 betas, but it would misinterpret what was a song and what wasn't, so now you have to say Shazam.

Or you could do it like Google which has a button when it thinks it detects a song while doing voice input and you hit the button to find out what song it is. Seems silly you're forced to talk to it to find out what the song is.

Or you could do it like Google which has a button when it thinks it detects a song while doing voice input and you hit the button to find out what song it is. Seems silly you're forced to talk to it to find out what the song is.

I don't think one word is all that bad, but that's just me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd give anything for a Widget that could tell me how much time I have left in the clock's timer section. I set timers all the time using Siri but you can't tell how much is left unless you lock the phone and view the lock screen or open the app itself. Stupid. And no, a new clock app is not an option unless it can be attached to Siri without changes to what I say to set it up. I don't understand why it isn't shown in the first place.

Where does iOS keep the list of tagged songs?
Yeah. Siri's Shazam is cool and all but if it doesn't put it in the Shazam log then I don't know if I'll want to use it as often as Shazam itself.

GWX

One word is not as bad as "what song is this?", but still, if the song is too loud, it can be an issue. I wish the button was implemented in one of the lower corners of the Siri interface or something like that.

I'm weirdly private about my shazamming. I try to do it extremely surreptitiously. I'm not sure why. Personally I'm not real delighted that the shazam integration requires that I speak, ha-

RedAssedApe

Banned
thanks for the launcher recommendation.

seems to be missing some apps though...would paying for it alleviate that?

i.e. i can't find Google Hangouts

are badges supposed to show up on apps u pin here?

JDeluis

I have an iPad 2 sitting in a drawer somewhere running some ancient version of iOS. It's not jailbroken or anything. It sounds like iOS 8 is kind of a shitfest and my guess is probably the last iOS version that will run on the iPad 2...if I wanted to do anything with it should I upgrade it to 7 while I still can or should I leave it alone?

Leave it alone. I'm still running ios6 on my iPad 3.

RedSwirl

Family sharing is "when all else fails". But remember that each Apple ID is an actual apple id. So if an adult member attaches a credit card to their apple id, that is the card that will be used and not the head account. Likewise if you add a gift card to a kid's account, that's what will be used.

I still don't quite get it. The website says every purchase made by a family member will be charged to the master account as well as its credit card.

I was interested in family sharing because I wanted to see if my family could group together my mom's, my dad's, my brother's, (and possibly my sister-in-law's), and my accounts so we could share music, photos, and movies. We all currently have our own accounts with separate credit cards attached and would definitely want to keep making our purchases separately.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Family sharing is "when all else fails". But remember that each Apple ID is an actual apple id. So if an adult member attaches a credit card to their apple id, that is the card that will be used and not the head account. Likewise if you add a gift card to a kid's account, that's what will be used.

Conflicted on Family Sharing primarily because of iTunes Match. We haven't setup my daughter yet because her phone just came today so I've left it alone til this weekend. But right now she has her own icloud account but is connected to my (family-wide) itunes match for songs and add-free radio. So she is saving to her own icloud, contacts, calendars, etc.. but can access all of our music and add-free radio. If putting her on sharing means she no longer has access to our itunes match music... she's not going to be happy... well I mean a huge chunk of our music is actually purchased which she SHOULD get... and I don't know how much of our ripped music she cares about... still seems like a sucky downside...

for my wife there's like zero benefit to setting her up on sharing.. for my daughter.. the benefit is super small.. she gets gift cards.. but right now I just tell her to keep track.. So even if the gift card balance is $0, if she still has $14 left that she hasn't used she can spend $14 without asking permission..

How does family sharing work then? Does everyone have to create an iTunes account? At the moment my kids have their own icloud account for saves etc but they use my iTunes account for purchases. If they want something they either bring me their ipad and I sign in, or I just buy it and then they download it from the purchased section of the App Store (which doesn't require a log in)

If they have to set up itunes accounts, will they still have access to anything I buy and anything each other buys? Sounds like their purchases are attached to their accounts but I'd want other family members to have access too

Soybean

:lol yea I'm like this too for some reason.

The "some reason" is pretty reasonable, I think: you don't want to give your phone voice commands most of the time you hear random music you want to identify (which is likely to be when you're out in public).

sruckus

I'm weirdly private about my shazamming. I try to do it extremely surreptitiously. I'm not sure why. Personally I'm not real delighted that the shazam integration requires that I speak, ha-

Haha yeah me too, especially at bars. I feel like such a nerd :/

I was thinking the other day...before the App Store came out services like Shazam didn't exist or were offered by carriers where you paid a fee each time IIRC. Now I couldn't live without it.

sruckus

Also, has anyone tried the betas of Yosemite and continuity and such? I am curious if buying Command-C (shares clipboard between iOS and OS X) is still worth it.

Also there's apparently this thing called Knock to Unlock. Super hipster ad, but I want it.

mrkgoo

No lie as to what the quoted words are in QuickType?

I know it's exactly what you typed, but maybe it's just a signifies or maybe it learns from that one or something.

dkeane

Also, has anyone tried the betas of Yosemite and continuity and such? I am curious if buying Command-C (shares clipboard between iOS and OS X) is still worth it.

Also there's apparently this thing called Knock to Unlock. Super hipster ad, but I want it.
I use knock to unlock. It's fantastic. I can have a long random password on my laptop and not have to type it in many times a day. Every once in a while it'll freak out but overall it's been great.

Anyone do family sharing yet? I have added 3 family members to my account so far, and they are not able to download things I've already purchased. Does family sharing not apply retroactively to things I've already purchased? If so, that sucks.

edit: Just found it. In the app store app in the upper left corner there's now a drop-down on the "Purchased" page to view the family member's purchases you want to see. Then when you go back to the other parts of the app store yo get the "download" icon for things that family member purchased.

edit #2: Or not...maybe it doesn't matter who you select. Either way, I think it's working now.

Anyone do family sharing yet? I have added 3 family members to my account so far, and they are not able to download things I've already purchased. Does family sharing not apply retroactively to things I've already purchased? If so, that sucks.

That doesn't sound right. I added my wife, and when she goes to "buy" an app, it says that I've already purchased it, and then asks if she would like to download it.

Only other problem I see is that I don't receive purchase requests on my "master" account, contrary to what Apple's family sharing media says. Instead, it prompts my son on his iPad to make me enter the security code of my mastercard. I would rather receive the request on my iPad automatically like Apple shows it working.

Quick

Banned
Safari doesn't let me tap and hold onto an image to copy its URL anymore. And a lot of sites don't make their images links available visibly.

Is there some new way to go about doing that?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

How does this work? The app can sit in the background on your phone? Or do you need to launch the app on the phone first? I'd like to try it but I'm not going to spend $4 without knowing how it works first.

-james-

Safari on my 5s was super slow to load pages after upgrading to iOS 8. Tried resetting the phone and then resetting netork settings with no luck. Finally fixed this by turning off all search settings and fraudulent website warning in the safari settings. Works fine now.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Couple observations/questions from trying out the 6 Plus at the Apple Store:

1) Every year I complain that Apple only offers a portrait screen rotation lock for the iPhones. It's completely inexcusable that Apple hasn't fixed this bug, especially on the 6 Plus with its landscape mode features

2) Is there a list of apps/developers that will support the 6 Plus landscape mode features?

3) The landscape keyboard sucks. don't know why Apple stuck the letter keys in the middle instead of at the end like on the iPad. I can see why theverge was complaining about hitting the delete key when he meant to press enter. Also the cursor control keys can't be held down like an arrow key but have to be tapped to move one space each time. wtf?!

Not sold on the iOS8 taking advantage of the bigger 5.5" screen just yet
I'm confused at point #1.. this is the first year the iPhone has had supported landscape in 100% of it's UI. It makes sense they wouldn't have had landscape orientation lock because the UI didn't always support it. But you're saying the 6Plus doesn't work like the iPad? It doesn't just lock into place whichever orientation it happens to be in? I don't understand.. they specifically showed the homescreen and stuff doing landscape in the keynote. Thats... what? Seriously?

Also I'm really sad to hear your other complaints. I have yet to brave the mall to go see it for myself but the 6Plus seems a little underbaked from a software standpoint. I'm very curious to see how support for it shakes out. I hope and think it will grow into itself.

Top Bottom