• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

I have the keyboards: main English, Swype, and SwiftKey. I like SwiftKey the best but the OS keeps defaulting to the main one. Anyone have similar problems?

Guri

Removing Camera Roll was a bad idea because some apps only access albums. Now we have to wait for every app to fix it.

SuperPac

The changes they made to the Photos app are crap. Where is camera roll? So much wasted space. So difficult to find photos.

Recently Added doubles as camera roll (across both iPad and iPhone). It's definitely confusing, but I like some of the additions... namely, an album for Bursts that you can more easily go through and select pictures from, a Favorites album for just looking at your favorite shots and a Recently Deleted album that keeps deleted photos for up to 40 days.

amnesiac

To bad they haven't changed the music app. It sucks having to scroll through an artist's entire song library just to find the album you want. (I know you can search, but viewing all albums at once is just so much easier)

Also downloaded Swiftkey but didn't like it so I deleted it.

Really like the new control center color scheme. Voice messages are kinda stupid. Maybe useful once in a long while perhaps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Only other problem I see is that I don't receive purchase requests on my "master" account, contrary to what Apple's family sharing media says. Instead, it prompts my son on his iPad to make me enter the security code of my mastercard. I would rather receive the request on my iPad automatically like Apple shows it working.

Oh that would suck. Like I mentioned before, without family sharing someone can just ask me or share a link with me, then I can buy it. Because my family all have my iTunes account on their iPads, they can then download from 'purchased' without needing me to sign in. So if I had to go to their devices to authorise that would be a step backwards

cripterion

This update is the worse ever, my ipad 2 and iPod touch 5 are just fucking slow now, Safari crashes a lot, takes ages to run apps, what the fuck were they thinking? Forget opening multiple tabs now in the browser, If I got 4 open i can't even post a reply on GAF, the thing just stops working.
Did they fuck all the older devices just to sell their new overpriced stuff?

Safari is even slow on the iPad Air when you want to type something into the address bar. It is ridiculous. I like the sleek design but the performance is abysmal at times.

The update to 8 just totally destroyed my music collection on my iPad. It saw about a quarter of the songs, and then erased everything else. Then it reclassified the songs it did see to "other" so that I can't erase them off the iPad. 24.18 GB of dead space. Restore didn't help. Stupid.

Enco

Noticed that my WiFi was even slower than before, went into settings and saw that it had connected me to a free hotspot.

Why. iOS 8 is getting more annoying by the day. Apple fucked up.

TimFL

The native resolution iPhone 6 App updates can't come soon enough. It's absolutely a horrible experience to use the non-native Apps with the ugly zoom.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ever since iOS8, I have not been able to backup to iCloud. Not sure why, I've always had a few gigs of free space until now. Strange.

Not a big deal, just backed up to the PC instead.

Mindwipe

Noticed that my WiFi was even slower than before, went into settings and saw that it had connected me to a free hotspot.

Why. iOS 8 is getting more annoying by the day. Apple fucked up.

At least it'll connect. I'm away, and there only one WiFi spot for miles. IOS 7 devices and Android are fine. iOS8 won't acknowledge it exists. At all.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Safari on my 5s was super slow to load pages after upgrading to iOS 8. Tried resetting the phone and then resetting netork settings with no luck. Finally fixed this by turning off all search settings and fraudulent website warning in the safari settings. Works fine now.
Just did this too, I turned off the search suggestions and preloading of top hits, and now everything is back to normal.

Woooohooo!!

njean777

Have noticed some weird lag on my 5s ever since upgrading. Nothing major just weird little lags when in messaging and other apps that use the keyboard. Oh and what is up with the screen when you change brightness from control center? It always flashes weirdly when I drop or increase the brightness now.

TimFL

Have noticed some weird lag on my 5s ever since upgrading. Nothing major just weird little lags when in messaging and other apps that use the keyboard. Oh and what is up with the screen when you change brightness from control center? It always flashes weirdly when I drop or increase the brightness now.

That's on purpose so you see the effect of the brightness change. Previously (on iOS7 and below) there was always a darker view of the background stuff so you never really knew what your new brightness level ends up being like.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Health Data -> whatever you want -> Add to Dashboard

edit: That review brings Yosemite PB3's Safari to its knees, damn. Never seen so much CPU usage from scrolling :(

OH cool, thanks. How will it track all the nutrition stuff like caffeine and even weight? I don't see a way to input numbers in weight, for example.

Vyer

I've seen some of the 'white pages' in Safari come up, though the page reappears when you start to scroll. Hopefully the next update well clean that up.

I also just tried Handoff with my phone and iPad to make and receive a phone call. Very nice.

GWX

OH cool, thanks. How will it track all the nutrition stuff like caffeine and even weight? I don't see a way to input numbers in weight, for example.

You manually add data points to each kind of health data, but Health is mainly made to work with third-party apps and accessories (aside from what the M7 and M8 co-processors can natively track).

It's supposed to work with third party apps and devices so theoretically you'd stand on your Bluetooth enabled scale and it would update health for you. You can also just use the Add Data Point option if you'd like to do it manually.

Futureman

so if I'm currently using my phone and get a Gmail notification, there's a little thing that pops down at the top of the screen. On iOS7 you could pull this down to see more of the message. But it seems to be locked and no able to pull down in iOS8? is that typical?

also, might as well ask here... anyone else find the GMail app to take sooooo long sometimes to load messages? What is the fastest app to load GMail? Does Mail work better? But Mail doesn't have push for GMail right?

Hero

Figured I could update my 5S since it's the previous model but iOS8 feels like it totally killed the usability and speed of the phone. Ugh.

Futureman

How is iOS 8 huge for developers?

Apps can now "talk" to each other. Ex... You can now save a story in Safari right to the Pocket app for example.

3rd Party Keyboards

Apple intorduced a new programming language for iOS apps called Swift that is supposed to be a big deal.

Apps can now live in the Notification Drawer.

Apps can now interact with Touch ID and iCloud.

HealthKit, PhotoKit, HomeKit and a new Camera API they can tap into.

GWX

Figured I could update my 5S since it's the previous model but iOS8 feels like it totally killed the usability and speed of the phone. Ugh.

Whoa there. It's buggy as shit, but on the 5s it's just as fast, if not faster, than iOS 7.1.x. I understand people complaining about iOS 8 performance on A5 devices, but the 5s flies.

Hero

Whoa there. It's buggy as shit, but on the 5s it's just as fast, if not faster, than iOS 7.1.x. I understand people complaining about iOS 8 performance on A5 devices, but the 5s flies.

Maybe it's just my perception then. The transitioning from different apps via the home screen button just seems a little laggy. Not sure what it is.

It is laggy.

And all the apps that used the camera roll (including google drive) crash instantly.

And WiFi does seem slower.

I really hope there's a patch soon because I don't want to be stuck with this.

Ghazi

Yeah, I haven't noticed any extra slowdown on iOS8, other than 3rd party keyboards which isn't Apple's fault.

GWX

Maybe it's just my perception then. The transitioning from different apps via the home screen button just seems a little laggy. Not sure what it is.

The animation can lag from time to time, but on the 5s is pretty rare (unlike my iPad 4th gen, which lags animating in and specially out of apps pretty frequently). It's still not slow, though, just jarring.

Did iOS 8 change the way air play works? Why won't my work's speakers show up anymore?

edit: because the iMac can connect to the wifi-connected speakers without a problem I'm assuming something's up with my phone.

Top Bottom