• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Ashhong

The update to 8 just totally destroyed my music collection on my iPad. It saw about a quarter of the songs, and then erased everything else. Then it reclassified the songs it did see to "other" so that I can't erase them off the iPad. 24.18 GB of dead space. Restore didn't help. Stupid.

Did you do the restore option then restore from backup? Of course that won't help. Set it up as new ipad

Laekon

I think the best rule for Apple products is that if your device is no longer sold don't update it. Though I can't remember if the iPhone 3 was still being sold when iOS 4 came out and made it run like ass.

Futureman

just transferred a bunch of music from iTunes to my phone (had to delete all my music so I could update to iOS 8).

why do some songs come over grayed out with the little dotted circle to the left? It's like they didn't' transfer over and I'm not sure why not?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
For a brief instance I thought 1 Second Everyday was working well on iOS 8 (and iPhone 6) only to find it crashes attempting to watch a clip. It is an improvement over my 4S on 7.1 not being able to save or clip videos at all.

It's so poorly programmed. I would have dumped it long ago if the results weren't worth it.

GWX

But enabling it should be the same? I'm just wondering why my phone isn't seeing any speakers.

My iPad isn't seeing my PC AirPlay speakers which I set up with Shairport. My Apple TV is, though, and it's also on iOS 8 (or, rather, Apple TV System Software 7.0). There's something funky going on, surely. It seems like every part of iOS 8 is fucked somehow.

Enco

What third party keyboards are people using? None seem reviewed well.
Swiftkey I think is seen as best overall.

They're all very buggy though and I'm thinking of switching back until Apple fixes it.

edit:

Been keeping an eye on Paste+ but as there haven't been any reviews, I decided to buy it.

Barely used it but it seems pretty awesome!

Copy anything you like and you get lots of possible actions.

- Search wikipedia, google or google maps
- Send by email/text/whatsapp/facebook/twitter
- Save to Instapaper/Pocket/Dropbox/Pastebin/Evernote
- Upload to places such as imgur
- Do a reverse image search
- Other stuff that I haven't looked at yet

A bit early to come to a conclusion but I feel this app will be great. Less closing apps down, opening new ones and pasting.

What third party keyboards are people using? None seem reviewed well.

There is this problem with the keyboards that you can never fully make them your number one choice because there are times where it just reverts back to the Apple one.

I absolutely love swype when typing on neogaf but for whatsapp or imessage it sucks because it does not support my native language as of yet.

There is this problem with the keyboards that you can never fully make them your number one choice because there are times where it just reverts back to the Apple one.

I absolutely love swype when typing on neogaf but for whatsapp or imessage it sucks because it does not support my native language as of yet.

I believe Apple doesn't allow the use of third part keyboards when entering details such as passwords so it reverts back to the Apple one for that. I assume in their eyes for security reasons so a third party doesn't have access to your personal info.

Agent_J

Just remove English, unless you have to have to have it...
Why can we not use Siri to write a message on any keyboard other than Apple's? The reason I love but don't use swifkey is because I cannot use Siri to write messages. Or am I missing something? Because the microphone icon isn't there.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The microphone is on the keyboard itself. Maybe it needs to be turned on? It was on for me.

On another note, SwiftKey has reset it's settings for me and I don't like that. If it's going to be doing that, I'll just go back to typing by thumbs like I am now. I'm much faster this way.

FerranMG

Keyboards are a fucking disaster.
Today I restarted my iPhone because Fleksy was being buggy. After the restart, neither Fleksy not SwiftKey were working, complaining that I hadn't allowed them full access, but the setting was correctly turned on. Turning it off and on again fixed it (of course), but it's unacceptable that this shipped in such a buggy state.

Fjordson

Guys, I have a super dumb question. But manually backing up my phone to my laptop includes everything right? Most importantly photos and notes. Going to pick up an iPhone 6, but I just want to make sure there isn't some checklist or something of what I want to be backed up before I wipe my 5 and sell it.

Red

Today I restarted my iPhone because Fleksy was being buggy. After the restart, neither Fleksy not SwiftKey were working, complaining that I hadn't allowed them full access, but the setting was correctly turned on. Turning it off and on again fixed it (of course), but it's unacceptable that this shipped in such a buggy state.
iOS8 on my 4S is way quicker and more responsive with the default keyboard, unfortunately. Enabling SwiftKey breaks the whole thing down into a slow and janky mess. Sometimes it becomes totally unresponsive or will simply not display a keyboard at all, which renders it nearly completely nonfunctional.

FerranMG

Guys, I have a super dumb question. But manually backing up my phone to my laptop includes everything right? Most importantly photos and notes. Going to pick up an iPhone 6, but I just want to make sure there isn't some checklist or something of what I want to be backed up before I wipe my 5 and sell it.

Yes, but you can make a manual backup your pictures, and also sync reminders, notes and so with iCloud, just to make sure you don't lose anything.

Been keeping an eye on Paste+ but as there haven't been any reviews, I decided to buy it.

Barely used it but it seems pretty awesome!

Copy anything you like and you get lots of possible actions.

- Search wikipedia, google or google maps
- Send by email/text/whatsapp/facebook/twitter
- Save to Instapaper/Pocket/Dropbox/Pastebin/Evernote
- Upload to places such as imgur
- Do a reverse image search
- Other stuff that I haven't looked at yet

A bit early to come to a conclusion but I feel this app will be great. Less closing apps down, opening new ones and pasting.

This is really nice. Thanks for the head's up on it.

I've probably used the notification center more in the past few days than I have in the past few years on iOS 5-7. It's actually pretty functional now.

Enco

This is really nice. Thanks for the head's up on it.

I've probably used the notification center more in the past few days than I have in the past few years on iOS 5-7. It's actually pretty functional now.
One thought that has crossed my mind is security. What are the chances that the app records what you copy? I doubt there's anything malicious but it made me wonder.

It's a great idea though.

Anyone else having issues where the favorite contacts in the multitasking view keep removing themselves?

It's odd because in the Phone app it shows them as favorites, but I have to remove and add them back again for iOS to recognize it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah. I'm gonna have to disable SwiftKey for a while because it reset itself. I'm not about to keep having to reenable access for it every time I need to use my phone. I can type much faster by thumbs in portrait mode anyway.

Maybe I'll give it another shot in a few months when it's had a few updates.

Iacobellis

I think the best rule for Apple products is that if your device is no longer sold don't update it. Though I can't remember if the iPhone 3 was still being sold when iOS 4 came out and made it run like ass.

The 3G was no longer being sold, but that was before Apple did a 3 (now 4) device lineup and allow 3 major iOS releases per device.

For example, the iPhone only had two major updates, stopping at 3.1.3. By this time, only the 3G and 3GS were on sale. The iPhone 4 on the other hand, started at 4.0 and stopped receiving support at 7.1.2.

Damn, I knew I was having trouble with third party keyboards, so I figured a quick update would be coming from Apple.

Then I entered here for the first time and see a lot more complaints.

Using a third party keyboard with Skype makes the send button disappear randomly, so I'd have to switch back to the default and back to Swype to make it appear.

Also had the keyboard not even pop up until I killed the app (Safari, Twitter, etc.) and restarted it.

Messy messy, Apple.

Ghazi

Ok. Just did a factory restore over another computer. Now there's a noticeable portion of "Other" data, for some reason. Is that normal, now?

Iacobellis

Ok. Just did a factory restore over another computer. Now there's a noticeable portion of "Other" data, for some reason. Is that normal, now?

Did you setup as a new iPhone or restore from a backup? Namely, one that had been made on a previously jailbroken iPhone?

I learned the hard way back on my iPhone 4 that files associated with jailbreak apps, tweaks, etc. remain stored on the phone and are unremovable unless you wipe the phone clean and start fresh.

Ghazi

Did you setup as a new iPhone or restore from a backup? Namely, one that had been made on a previously jailbroken iPhone?

I learned the hard way back on my iPhone 4 that files associated with jailbreak apps, tweaks, etc. remain stored on the phone and are unremovable unless you wipe the phone clean and start fresh.

Well... to my knowledge it has not been jailbroken or tweaked, but I bought it used. I also set it up as a new phone, though, so it's irrelevant. I've got 1.31 GB of other, I really don't want to have to restore it again right after I just did one, but man it's annoying me.

Ljwinter

Banned
So, anyone else having trouble using quick reply from lock screen and NC? Works fine on my iPad 3 but no dice on iPhone 5 and 6. Just shows the X to close the message, no blue reply option.

Corgi

Banned
3rd party keyboards are great, but shit is still too busted to be used often imo. Swiftkey is missing spacebar row of stuff when you switch to numbers in twitter, so you can't switch back.

curious if its 8.0's fault or the apps atm. hope its the apps so it can be fixed quickly

I'm going to go ahead and post a couple questions that got glossed over in the iPhone 6 thread, hoping to get some answers

So I'm really excited about this whole iCloud Drive thing, but how is it supposed to like... work? In my mind, there's a local and cloud copy of everything, and each updates in tandem. Local copies are only stored on my macbook, while my other devices have access to the cloud versions. When I make a change on my laptop, it updates both the local one and the cloud one, and when I update the same document from my phone, it'll get downloaded back down to my laptop's local one. Same with photos and editing

Is that a pipe dream?

So what are all the steps to take before I activate a new phone to make sure everything carries over and my old phone is in sellable condition? Keep in mind I'm not restoring from an iCloud backup on the new one, but I want all my photos and notes and everything to be there and ready to go

Koodo

Banned
lol this is happening:

K5HfVnN.png

edit: it's fixed now.

Iacobellis

Well... to my knowledge it has not been jailbroken or tweaked, but I bought it used. I also set it up as a new phone, though, so it's irrelevant. I've got 1.31 GB of other, I really don't want to have to restore it again right after I just did one, but man it's annoying me.

My iPhone 6 restored from a non-jailbroken backup is showing 1.09GB of Other data in iTunes. I assume it's cache and other files used by the OS. What capacity is your phone?

Iacobellis

Hm... that's odd considering mine is a 64GB. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think every iOS device (and iPod) I've used in the last decade had at least some space used by content unrecognizable by iTunes. But if it ends up ballooning up in size, then I'd start looking into it.

So I just updated... is it just me, or are photos a mess now? I can't tell what's on my device, what isn't, what's in the cloud, everything.

So I just updated... is it just me, or are photos a mess now? I can't tell what's on my device, what isn't, what's in the cloud, everything.

Photostream in iOS 7 was never in the cloud technically it was always on your phone.

It seems the Albums > Recent Photos is your most recent shot photos.

Photos > Collections > Moments mixes your photostream and camera roll.

To move the Moments into your Local Album, create a local album in Album Tab, Click ADD, chose the moment photos, Click Select to select all or select individually then click Done,

Photostream in iOS 7 was never in the cloud technically it was always on your phone.

It seems the Albums > Recent Photos is your most recent shot photos.

Photos > Collections > Moments mixes your photostream and camera roll.

To move the Moments into your Local Album, create a local album in Album Tab, Click ADD, chose the moment photos, Click Select to select all or select individually then click Done,

Right, I've been figuring that out. Thanks for the confirmation.

The problem is that local storage is still a concern for me, so them trying to hide what's on my local phone versus what's also been uploaded into the cloud isn't good for me. When I get a Macbook I'm sure this will all work out fine, but for the moment it's only confusing. And it's especially confusing because I was just about to clean out my photos on my phone, but since the update they all got rolled into the collections

Is there any way to disable the tabs bar hiding automatically if I scroll down in safari? It's pretty annoying for someone who switches tabs quickly and frequently and this is an iPad so I don't really care about screen size.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah. I hate that I have two of my most recent photos each (I recently cleared my iCloud so it's back to zero) and one seems to be local and the other iCloud. I don't understand why it needs to be like that. Which one is local? The one with the Favorite and Trash icons? Or the other? One of them is going to be synced from my iTunes. I assume it's the one that you can't delete.

I just want Photos.app and iCloud Photo Library already.

I'm waiting for someone to release an "iCloud Drive" app browser that can view all my files in my iCloud and possibly open some in other apps when possible. Whether it's Apple or someone else. As long as it looks nice and supports all common formats, especially image types. Mainly images and text files. And let text files and other documents be opened in an editor of some sort. And have GIF files be animated.

Then again, I won't switch to using iCloud Drive until it supports the other two most important features DropBox does. Symlink support and the ability to exclude certain folders or files from being synced to specific Macs. (I mean if I'm going to have 1TB of space, what good is it if I only have 512GB on my laptop? Obviously we need to be able to exclude folders. So I can have like 300GB on one machine, 300GB on another, but don't sync them all to each machine. What even happens if you put more in your iCloud Drive than can fit on a machine? Does it smartly only locally cache certain files and remove others to free up space?)

Iacobellis

I have an iPhone 4 which I'm assuming I can't update? So does that mean I can't make calls on my iPad/Mac?

Nope. To ease the sting a little bit, I believe the feature is limited to iPhone 5 and later due to Bluetooth constraints on the older phones. Same goes for the Mac revision you are using.

Top Bottom