• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

centracore

Since updating to iOS 8 Safari isn't asking if I want to save usernames and passwords to my iCloud Keychain.. anyone else experiencing this (or know of a fix)?

edit: found a weird workaround.. enter your username and password into the appropriate fields then refresh the page instead of logging in, Safari will then ask if you want to save to your iCloud Keychain.

Yeah. I hate that I have two of my most recent photos each (I recently cleared my iCloud so it's back to zero) and one seems to be local and the other iCloud. I don't understand why it needs to be like that. Which one is local? The one with the Favorite and Trash icons? Or the other? One of them is going to be synced from my iTunes. I assume it's the one that you can't delete.

I just want Photos.app and iCloud Photo Library already.

I'm waiting for someone to release an "iCloud Drive" app browser that can view all my files in my iCloud and possibly open some in other apps when possible. Whether it's Apple or someone else. As long as it looks nice and supports all common formats, especially image types. Mainly images and text files. And let text files and other documents be opened in an editor of some sort. And have GIF files be animated.

Then again, I won't switch to using iCloud Drive until it supports the other two most important features DropBox does. Symlink support and the ability to exclude certain folders or files from being synced to specific Macs. (I mean if I'm going to have 1TB of space, what good is it if I only have 512GB on my laptop? Obviously we need to be able to exclude folders. So I can have like 300GB on one machine, 300GB on another, but don't sync them all to each machine. What even happens if you put more in your iCloud Drive than can fit on a machine? Does it smartly only locally cache certain files and remove others to free up space?)

Seriously, I don't know why it has to be like this? Did they think people just forgot their phones had space limitations or something? Hell, I don't WANT a local copy on my phone. My usage of iCloud Drive is as follows: all local copies are on my Macbook and Macbook only. When I make a change to a document or photo on any device, it's synced to the local version, so it's always up-to-date. I can optionally have local versions on my phone/tablet as well, but that's up to me. When I take a photo on my phone, I want it to go straight to my laptop and not stay on my phone. Basically, my Macbook serving as a hub for all the content that my iDevices can access on their own (but obviously the exchanges are handled through iCloud).

But right now, I don't have a Macbook so that's problem number one. But problem number two is that even when I do, local copies are just going to be fucking everywhere, on whatever device they originated on instead of where I want them to be

Chrome destroys my battery, and I'm not sure why. I just browse GAF on it, which is 99% text and always loads super fast. I willingly avoid threads with tons of gifs on them to minimize data usage.

Is scrolling on a page of text really that detrimental to my battery? My battery usage says Chrome alone was responsible for 50% of my battery. I may have to switch to Safari temporarily to see if it's just a Chrome thing.

ramyeon

Chrome destroys my battery, and I'm not sure why. I just browse GAF on it, which is 99% text and always loads super fast. I willingly avoid threads with tons of gifs on them to minimize data usage.

Is scrolling on a page of text really that detrimental to my battery? My battery usage says Chrome alone was responsible for 50% of my battery. I may have to switch to Safari temporarily to see if it's just a Chrome thing.
Safari is the biggest drain on my battery too. Really not getting great battery usage on iOS 8.
So SwiftKey is pretty great but I'm really just waiting for the glitches to set in
It's not perfect but I haven't encountered any really terrible glitches yet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Seriously, I don't know why it has to be like this? Did they think people just forgot their phones had space limitations or something? Hell, I don't WANT a local copy on my phone. My usage of iCloud Drive is as follows: all local copies are on my Macbook and Macbook only. When I make a change to a document or photo on any device, it's synced to the local version, so it's always up-to-date. I can optionally have local versions on my phone/tablet as well, but that's up to me. When I take a photo on my phone, I want it to go straight to my laptop and not stay on my phone. Basically, my Macbook serving as a hub for all the content that my iDevices can access on their own (but obviously the exchanges are handled through iCloud).

But right now, I don't have a Macbook so that's problem number one. But problem number two is that even when I do, local copies are just going to be fucking everywhere, on whatever device they originated on instead of where I want them to be
Right now DropBox lets you select which folders to sync or not sync to each normal computer. So like I said you can have like 300GB on one machine and a different 300GB on another and sync them all to the cloud but not download each others files. Especially on smaller drive machines.

iCloud Drive seems to only work with an all-or-nothing approach, which means if I bought that 1TB of space, I wouldn't be able to use it because my MacBook only has 500GB and my mini only has 320GB. Unless it does smartly keep certain files unsynced until you need it, but I haven't seen evidence of that.

What it should do is act like DropBox does, with the setting to exclude certain folders on a computer by computer basis, but also still show them in the Finder with the same icon badge music that isn't downloaded but is in the cloud gets. So you can force to download the file if you want. And if you delete it and it's one of the "cloud only" files, it will ask if you want to "delete just the local copy" or "delete the file entirely".

They also need to make this a normal folder that sits in my Home folder. I hate that they obfuscate it and make it only accessible from the sidebar. I want to put it in my Dock. I want to be able to link to files in it.

I mean, yeah, it still is a file that is on my computer, but it's hidden away in that Mobile Documents folder in my Library. And if I put Mobile Documents in my Dock, it loses its icon. Not only that, but when you browse it as a Docked folder, it shows you a ton of folders for every single app you have on your Mac and iOS device that has iCloud support. But if you open the folder in the Finder, it magically turns into the "nope! Can't show you all the contents. Must protect you from yourself" view of only showing normal documents. Which I guess is a good thing to keep you from fucking it up, but at least integrate it into the Finder so I can link to it easier and Dock it. And come on, please let me put symlinks in it. The folder structure of Mobile Documents is completely, and I mean completely different from what they show you when you open the iCloud Drive link in the sidebar.

And until they sort this out, I'll just give DropBox $10 a month for 990GB more space than I will ever use. *sigh* I sure could go for that cheap $1 20GB plan.

Right now DropBox lets you select which folders to sync or not sync to each normal computer. So like I said you can have like 300GB on one machine and a different 300GB on another and sync them all to the cloud but not download each others files. Especially on smaller drive machines.

iCloud Drive seems to only work with an all-or-nothing approach, which means if I bought that 1TB of space, I wouldn't be able to use it because my MacBook only has 500GB and my mini only has 320GB. Unless it does smartly keep certain files unsynced until you need it, but I haven't seen evidence of that.

What it should do is act like DropBox does, with the setting to exclude certain folders on a computer by computer basis, but also still show them in the Finder with the same icon badge music that isn't downloaded but is in the cloud gets. So you can force to download the file if you want. And if you delete it and it's one of the "cloud only" files, it will ask if you want to "delete just the local copy" or "delete the file entirely".

They also need to make this a normal folder that sits in my Home folder. I hate that they obfuscate it and make it only accessible from the sidebar. I want to put it in my Dock. I want to be able to link to files in it.

I mean, yeah, it still is a file that is on my computer, but it's hidden away in that Mobile Documents folder in my Library. And if I put Mobile Documents in my Dock, it loses its icon. Not only that, but when you browse it as a Docked folder, it shows you a ton of folders for every single app you have on your Mac and iOS device that has iCloud support. But if you open the folder in the Finder, it magically turns into the "nope! Can't show you all the contents. Must protect you from yourself" view of only showing normal documents. Which I guess is a good thing to keep you from fucking it up, but at least integrate it into the Finder so I can link to it easier and Dock it. And come on, please let me put symlinks in it. The folder structure of Mobile Documents is completely, and I mean completely different from what they show you when you open the iCloud Drive link in the sidebar.

And until they sort this out, I'll just give DropBox $10 a month for 990GB more space than I will ever use. *sigh* I sure could go for that cheap $1 20GB plan.

So you've been testing out what iCloud Drive can and can't do on your MacBook?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So you've been testing out what iCloud Drive can and can't do on your MacBook?
For the most part. Yes.

Symlinks are ignored. In DropBox, they're treated as the original folder. So a link to a folder full of images will upload that entire folder of images and manipulate the contents as if they're located right in the DropBox. iCloud Drive ignores it completely. Probably by design.

And you can't exclude folders in iCloud Drive like you can on DropBox so everything must be uploaded and downloaded to all Macs. I can't test its caching and whether it will stop when space runs out or how it acts because I don't have an account for storage larger than the free 5GB so someone else would have to test it. (Personally I don't want to be the one who puts 1TB of dummy data in iCloud just to test this out.) I can't see Apple overlooking that small problem of syncing everything even to 1TB accounts. It just doesn't seem to currently have any exclusion feature.

Not to mention the current lack of an iOS app for browsing. Especially since there's no TextEdit or Preview app so for the most part iCloud Drive will be mostly just iWork and iLife and third parties when they start popping out.

Hopefully in time it falls into place. Then I can dump DropBox and switch. But for now, DB works fine. Just wish they had a cheaper plan for chrissakes. 990GB of cloud storage I'll never use.
I mean I guess I could switch to Google Drive, but last time I used it it wasn't all that hot. Maybe it works better now.

Also, I wonder what the upload and download speed for iCloud is compared to DropBox.

iOS8 on my 4S is way quicker and more responsive with the default keyboard, unfortunately. Enabling SwiftKey breaks the whole thing down into a slow and janky mess. Sometimes it becomes totally unresponsive or will simply not display a keyboard at all, which renders it nearly completely nonfunctional.

I'm lucky. My 4S is smooth as butter even when I enable swiftkey. It takes SK a second for it's keyboard to pop up, but once it does it's smooth sailing.

For the most part. Yes.

Symlinks are ignored. In DropBox, they're treated as the original folder. So a link to a folder full of images will upload that entire folder of images and manipulate the contents as if they're located right in the DropBox. iCloud Drive ignores it completely. Probably by design.

And you can't exclude folders in iCloud Drive like you can on DropBox so everything must be uploaded and downloaded to all Macs. I can't test its caching and whether it will stop when space runs out or how it acts because I don't have an account for storage larger than the free 5GB so someone else would have to test it. (Personally I don't want to be the one who puts 1TB of dummy data in iCloud just to test this out.) I can't see Apple overlooking that small problem of syncing everything even to 1TB accounts. It just doesn't seem to currently have any exclusion feature.

Not to mention the current lack of an iOS app for browsing. Especially since there's no TextEdit or Preview app so for the most part iCloud Drive will be mostly just iWork and iLife and third parties when they start popping out.

Hopefully in time it falls into place. Then I can dump DropBox and switch. But for now, DB works fine. Just wish they had a cheaper plan for chrissakes. 990GB of cloud storage I'll never use.
I mean I guess I could switch to Google Drive, but last time I used it it wasn't all that hot. Maybe it works better now.

Also, I wonder what the upload and download speed for iCloud is compared to DropBox.

That's really disappointing to hear. Hopefully they can have it all sorted out by the time I grab a Macbook (around the holidays, or a little after). Thanks for the impressions, I appreciate it. Always run into you in the Apple threads

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's really disappointing to hear. Hopefully they can have it all sorted out by the time I grab a Macbook (around the holidays, or a little after). Thanks for the impressions, I appreciate it. Always run into you in the Apple threads
I hope one day iCloud Drive can be everything it should. Right now it's not. And that's sad. Thankfully there's alternatives and even iOS allows for Cloud Storage extensions. It just sucks that iOS Safari doesn't let you save files other than images, and they only go into the camera roll, (Or whatever it's called now) which doesn't always make a lick of sense. They should let you long press on any file link or image and choose to save it to cloud storage or camera roll. I have Hazel scripts set up on my Mac that watch my DropBox for certain files. If I could save a file to my DropBox from Safari on iOS, then have my Mac sort it into the correct folder, it'd be a dream. As it stands, you can only upload image files to DropBox. And you can only save image files from Safari. You can't even create a new document in DropBox and paste text into it and save it as a .txt file or something as a workaround to not being able to save text files when needed. It's like we're so close to the perfect dream, but yet still so far away. Hopefully in a few updates.

That brings up another thing I need to test. Whether or not Hazel can even watch an iCloud folder. Hmm...

Edit: Yep. It can watch files and apply rules to it. It can even move files out of the iCloud Drive and bypass the "Do you want to delete this from iCloud?" dialog. I hope that's not fucking anything up by doing that. I suspect the Hazel people are smart enough to make sure it works right though. So basically even if iOS Safari just had a simple "Save to iCloud Drive" option I could still use Hazel to watch for files being added to my iCloud and move them to my DropBox if needed. We just need that elusive "Save to cloud" option that Mobile Safari doesn't have yet... yet. I say yet because I'm damn hopeful.

I hope one day iCloud Drive can be everything it should. Right now it's not. And that's sad. Thankfully there's alternatives and even iOS allows for Cloud Storage extensions. It just sucks that iOS Safari doesn't let you save files other than images, and they only go into the camera roll, (Or whatever it's called now) which doesn't always make a lick of sense. They should let you long press on any file link or image and choose to save it to cloud storage or camera roll. I have Hazel scripts set up on my Mac that watch my DropBox for certain files. If I could save a file to my DropBox from Safari on iOS, then have my Mac sort it into the correct folder, it'd be a dream. As it stands, you can only upload image files to DropBox. And you can only save image files from Safari. You can't even create a new document in DropBox and paste text into it and save it as a .txt file or something as a workaround to not being able to save text files when needed. It's like we're so close to the perfect dream, but yet still so far away. Hopefully in a few updates.

That brings up another thing I need to test. Whether or not Hazel can even watch an iCloud folder. Hmm...

Edit: Yep. It can watch files and apply rules to it. It can even move files out of the iCloud Drive and bypass the "Do you want to delete this from iCloud?" dialog. I hope that's not fucking anything up by doing that. I suspect the Hazel people are smart enough to make sure it works right though. So basically even if iOS Safari just had a simple "Save to iCloud Drive" option I could still use Hazel to watch for files being added to my iCloud and move them to my DropBox if needed. We just need that elusive "Save to cloud" option that Mobile Safari doesn't have yet... yet. I say yet because I'm damn hopeful.

I'm also hopeful. These are just basic things that people want out of their cloud services application. Especially if Apple is hoping to draw people (like you!) away from the competition where they're already deeply entrenched

Zutroy

Remember iTunes Radio - I wonder if we're ever going to see it in the UK.

I think even Apple Pay will come first at this point.

123rl

Can anyone help? I can't upload slow motion videos in hd to Facebook. If I upload from the Photos app it works in slow-mo but isn't HD. If I upload from the app it works in HD but at regular speed. If I upload to YouTube or Vimeo then it works in slow motion and is HD too. I can't see any settings I may have missed so my only suggestion is it's a glitch, maybe with Facebook and iOS 8.

I also cross-posted this in the iPhone 6 thread. I don't know if this is a problem with iOS 8 or the iPhone 6

OMG Aero

Does anyone have any impressions of how this runs on the 5th gen iPod Touch?
I'm not really bothered about the new features but I'm just wondering if there's any performance hit after updating to iOS 8.

Man I am getting pissed of at this software update.

I have an iphone 5 and I want to do a software update, currently on iOS 7.

When choosing software update on my iphone, it keeps searching and searching endlessly.

If I connect the iphone to the macbook, and start itunes, I get a message that says there is a software update available for the phone.

If I press update, it takes me to the backup part, I have my iCloud as backup plan. but the damn itunes keeps saving the backup to my macbook.

why is that? I do not want the backup on my macbook as the drive is almost full. Using a 128gig macbook air.
if I check itunes, it says that my backup is suppose to be in iCloud and not the computer, yet still the backup ends up on my macbook..

Ninja Dom

In Photos, how do you reorder the Albums you've sync' from your Mac? The Albums sync but I'm unable to change the order, they're greyed out when I press the edit button.

Ninja Dom

Man I am getting pissed of at this software update.

I have an iphone 5 and I want to do a software update, currently on iOS 7.

When choosing software update on my iphone, it keeps searching and searching endlessly.

If I connect the iphone to the macbook, and start itunes, I get a message that says there is a software update available for the phone.

If I press update, it takes me to the backup part, I have my iCloud as backup plan. but the damn itunes keeps saving the backup to my macbook.

why is that? I do not want the backup on my macbook as the drive is almost full. Using a 128gig macbook air.
if I check itunes, it says that my backup is suppose to be in iCloud and not the computer, yet still the backup ends up on my macbook..

Because you're updating on your Mac you need your backup on your Mac. If anything goes unexpected with the update then the Mac will silently be able to restore from your backup that exists on the Mac. It's a smoother process.

Also the backup on the Mac will be the same size as the iCloud backup, it won't backup all 16/32/64 GB of your iPhone 5.

Because you're updating on your Mac you need your backup on your Mac. If anything goes unexpected with the update then the Mac will silently be able to restore from your backup that exists on the Mac. It's a smoother process.

Also the backup on the Mac will be the same size as the iCloud backup, it won't backup all 16/32/64 GB of your iPhone 5.

ok.. any idea why I cant just do an update on the phone instead of using itunes? The searching for an update just keeps on going and going when I choose software update on my iPhone..

Ninja Dom

ok.. any idea why I cant just do an update on the phone instead of using itunes? The searching for an update just keeps on going and going when I choose software update on my iPhone..

You can do a Software Update directly on the iPhone providing you have around 6GB free. As you say it keeps searching, try looking for the update on the phone using mobile network (it won't download but should still find it). Then continue on wifi. If not, then try other wifi networks. Restart your iPhone.

You can't update on a computer without iTunes. But it is possible to download the update independently of iTunes, and then get iTunes to update it.

Ambitious

I'm not sure how group messaging is supposed to work in iOS.
I just sent a message two both my sister (iOS) and my father (Android). A new group conversation thread was created, and the bubble of my message is green. So instead of sending one iMessage and one text message, it sends texts to both?
Also, my father replied, but his answer is displayed in my conversation with him alone. That can't be right.

I keep waiting all these years to see if iTunes WIFI sync would become reliably useful. It still isn't :(

No kidding. It's awful.

Ninja Dom

I'm not sure how group messaging is supposed to work in iOS.
I just sent a message two both my sister (iOS) and my father (Android). A new group conversation thread was created, and the bubble of my message is green. So instead of sending one iMessage and one text message, it sends texts to both?
Also, my father replied, but his answer is displayed in my conversation with him alone. That can't be right.

No kidding. It's awful.

Yeah pretty much how it is. Same as in iOS 7. Your father being on Android means that he "breaks" the iMessage group as he cant send or receive iMessages. So it's purely handled as an individual Text not an iMessage Group. Therefore his replies won't be grouped into an iMessage group. And Text Messages don't have received Group functionality on mobile phones (unless the individual phone chooses to do that manual after receiving the text).

Ninja Dom

I keep waiting all these years to see if iTunes WIFI sync would become reliably useful. It still isn't :(

It can be useful. iPad in the bedroom, you just download a new album on your comp in the front room. Transfer the album across using wifi sync rather than going to the bedroom, getting your iPad and physically plugging in.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I have an iPhone 4 which I'm assuming I can't update? So does that mean I can't make calls on my iPad/Mac?
Nope. To ease the sting a little bit, I believe the feature is limited to iPhone 5 and later due to Bluetooth constraints on the older phones. Same goes for the Mac revision you are using.
Calls through Mac/iPad actually uses the wifi, I have a 4S and it works for me. Still off-limits for the 4 though, since it can't be updated to iOS 8.

Wifi lost connection on my iphone 6 last night. Never happened with iOS 7, had to reset network settings to find my home network again. Pretty annoying

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can someone give me a quick overview of iOS8 Touch ID integration and what exactly is possible with it?

- How can I use iCloud Keychain, what should I use it for, and does it integrate with TouchID? Can I log in to websites in Safari using TouchID / Keychain Combo?
- Should I use 1Password instead and how exactly does it work with TouchID / Safari? I know the new version is supposed to have all this integration, but I'm just not sure how any of this works.
- Can I use any of the stuff above to log in to native apps like Amazon, Ebay or Paypal app?

Ghazi

Anybody know how to "teach" iOS the brightness you prefer at certain light situations?

No, if you have auto brightness on, it'll automatically adjust to what it thinks is right. Otherwise you'll have to manually change it to your preference. iOS is not an animal! :p

Ghazi

Should I update my Air to iOS 8 or hold off for now?

I wouldn't use any of the new features.

If you won't, then I'd wait for a more stable release. Tbh, the only problems I'm having right now are with 3rd part keyboards, though. So it's fine for me, just a word of caution considering the problems others seem to be having.

Can someone give me a quick overview of iOS8 Touch ID integration and what exactly is possible with it?

- How can I use iCloud Keychain, what should I use it for, and does it integrate with TouchID? Can I log in to websites in Safari using TouchID / Keychain Combo?
- Should I use 1Password instead and how exactly does it work with TouchID / Safari? I know the new version is supposed to have all this integration, but I'm just not sure how any of this works.
- Can I use any of the stuff above to log in to native apps like Amazon, Ebay or Paypal app?

TouchID with iOS7 was an excellent way to unlock your phone and approve iTunes and App Store purchases. With iOS8 they added 3rd party integration so now apps can use TouchID to authenticate instead of a password. So far I use it with 1Password and Mint.

- iCloud Keychain only works if you use TouchID or a passcode. If you don't use TouchID or use a passcode you can't use it. My iPad for example doesn't use it since I don't use a passcode for it. ICloud Keychain can be used for passwords, address info, credit card info, etc. (does not include the security code of credit cards though)
- 1 password uses an extension to work with Safari, you use the 'share' button, select 1 password and it fills in the password. I use 1Password because I've already got it running for a couple years and have it for Windows as well.
- Amazon uses it to authenticate purchases. EBay and PayPal will probably update to it soon.

Futureman

Chrome on NeoGAF is literally probably what I do most on my iPhone, so it makes sense that it uses the most battery. I don't think this is a sign that Chrome is a battery hog, just that you use it a lot! At least that's my impression.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Standard keyboard seems terrible. Correcting way fewer mistakes than before so I'm having to proofread things a lot more :/

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TouchID with iOS7 was an excellent way to unlock your phone and approve iTunes and App Store purchases. With iOS8 they added 3rd party integration so now apps can use TouchID to authenticate instead of a password. So far I use it with 1Password and Mint.

- iCloud Keychain only works if you use TouchID or a passcode. If you don't use TouchID or use a passcode you can't use it. My iPad for example doesn't use it since I don't use a passcode for it. ICloud Keychain can be used for passwords, address info, credit card info, etc. (does not include the security code of credit cards though)
- 1 password uses an extension to work with Safari, you use the 'share' button, select 1 password and it fills in the password. I use 1Password because I've already got it running for a couple years and have it for Windows as well.
- Amazon uses it to authenticate purchases. EBay and PayPal will probably update to it soon.
I just tried 1password safari integration, and it's really great. I was under the impression however that the iCloud keychain was to be used for this purpose, so now I'm not really sure what the iCloud keychain is really good for. I see that the 1password actually sues it to store the master password, probably so that it can verify it when I enter it on another device?

Found this app on Reddit called Launcher. Adds app shortcuts to your notification screen.

Favorite part is that you can create shortcuts for different sections in the Settings app. So I totally had to create shortcuts to Usage and Wallpapers. Pretty sweet.

Ghazi

Oh my gosh, maybe this has been why my battery life has been so awful since I switched to Chrome. I use it pretty frequently, but it never drained out as quickly when I used Safari. I can't even get through a day without draining it completely.

Wow, security issues galore in ios8
http://youtu.be/RhwbymsTg3w
Most people want this actually with ability to access the phone without entering a pass code. You can turn it off in pass code option at the point you set up the pass code for the first time. Or if you want to use the pass code on every step it essentially defeats the purpose of Siri on lockscreen so it's either off or on

When the pass code is at it asks you all these options you want to set through the lockscreen below

Futureman

Anyone else's Yahoo Weather not working at all? Mine can't seem to grab the weather info. I deleted and installed again with no luck.

Top Bottom