• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

I just tried 1password safari integration, and it's really great. I was under the impression however that the iCloud keychain was to be used for this purpose, so now I'm not really sure what the iCloud keychain is really good for. I see that the 1password actually sues it to store the master password, probably so that it can verify it when I enter it on another device?

iCloud Keychain is pretty seamless amongst iOS and Mac using Safari and its free while 1Password costs some money for iPhone iPad and Mac. If you're like me and use Windows too, that also costs money. ICloud Keychain was useful when it was the only way to do it in Safari. Now that you can use 1Password And other password services, iCloud Keychain is totally less useful.

1Password uses the TouchID to verify the user and skip the master password. I don't think you can use Touch ID to verify on another device, just the device you are using.

GWX

NeoGAF + Handoff/AirDrop/iCloud Bookmarks between Mac and iOS devices is a terrible experience due to the different address structures of the mobile and the desktop versions =(

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
NeoGAF + Handoff/AirDrop/iCloud Bookmarks between Mac and iOS devices is a terrible experience due to the different address structures of the mobile and the desktop versions =(
Huh? Desktop browser shows desktop version and mobile shows mobile versions automatically for me. Across iOS, PC and Mac.

GWX

Huh? Desktop browser shows desktop version and mobile shows mobile versions automatically for me. Across iOS, PC and Mac.

Yeah, iOS devices display the mobile version, while the Mac displays the desktop version. But that's not the issue. The problem goes like this: on the mobile version, the subscribed threads link is http://m.neogaf.com/subscribed.php, while on the desktop version, it's http://www.neogaf.com/forum/subscription.php. Opening the mobile link on desktop Safari opens the mobile version of the subscribed threads folder, while opening the desktop version on an iOS device results in a "page not found" error. A different problem happens when I click to see the first unread post in a thread on my iPhone and then open the webpage from handoff on my Mac: it redirects me to the first page of the thread.

Unrelated, but is there any way for me to download Find My iPhone on iPhone 4 now? It keeps telling me I should get iOS 8 to download. =\

Zutroy

Question about handoff.

I can get it to work going from Mac to iPhone for Safari/email, but the other way around doesn't seem to do anything. Not notifications about hand off pop up on my Mac. Am I doing something wrong?

Calls/messages seem to work both ways. Scrap that, same for calls and messages

epmode

Unrelated, but is there any way for me to download Find My iPhone on iPhone 4 now? It keeps telling me I should get iOS 8 to download. =\

Apple could set up their store to automatically download a version that would run on your version of iOS but how else are they going to get people to toss their old phones?

Question about handoff.

I can get it to work going from Mac to iPhone for Safari/email, but the other way around doesn't seem to do anything. Not notifications about hand off pop up on my Mac. Am I doing something wrong?

Calls/messages seem to work both ways. Scrap that, same for calls and messages
It's not officially supported on Mac until the final release. It used to all work for me in earlier DPs, but now I get weird bugs like regular texts not showing up on my Mac, but the person gets added to my messages list with an empty message anyway.

I do get calls and can answer them on my Mac consistently.

Flandy

Can anyone help me out here?

Dad just got an iPhone 6 and he tried to restore from a backup but couldn't since he didn't have enough space so he just sync'd it with his iTunes. When he tried updating some of the apps it kept asking for my brothers Apple ID which hadn't be connected to that computer in 2 years. It shows my Dad is the one logged into the App store and not my Brother. Tried signing in and out but it's still asking for my Brothers Apple ID when he tries to update Apps. It only asks for my Brothers Apple ID when he tries to update Apps and not anything else.

Dad just got an iPhone 6 and he tried to restore from a backup but couldn't since he didn't have enough space so he just sync'd it with his iTunes. When he tried updating some of the apps it kept asking for my brothers Apple ID which hadn't be connected to that computer in 2 years. It shows my Dad is the one logged into the App store and not my Brother. Tried signing in and out but it's still asking for my Brothers Apple ID when he tries to update Apps. It only asks for my Brothers Apple ID when he tries to update Apps and not anything else.

it sounds like some/all apps were downloaded with your brothers id

It seems like the lockscreen is broken like this with literally every os update, minor or major. How are they this bad at this?

To be fair (and I didn't know this until someone above pointed it out) all of those functions, especially Siri, can be disabled on the lock screen. So people have to choose to keep them active

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Yeah, iOS devices display the mobile version, while the Mac displays the desktop version. But that's not the issue. The problem goes like this: on the mobile version, the subscribed threads link is http://m.neogaf.com/subscribed.php, while on the desktop version, it's http://www.neogaf.com/forum/subscription.php. Opening the mobile link on desktop Safari opens the mobile version of the subscribed threads folder, while opening the desktop version on an iOS device results in a "page not found" error. A different problem happens when I click to see the first unread post in a thread on my iPhone and then open the webpage from handoff on my Mac: it redirects me to the first page of the thread.
I can confirm this inconsistency. But it does only seem to be that one single page that gives problems. I noticed it when I tried to change my GAF bookmark from the front page to the Subscriptions and got the error when trying to load it on iOS.

To be fair (and I didn't know this until someone above pointed it out) all of those functions, especially Siri, can be disabled on the lock screen. So people have to choose to keep them active

Disabling features is not a solution to security flaws. All it takes is simply requiring the fingerprint before Siri works.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I can confirm this inconsistency. But it does only seem to be that one single page that gives problems. I noticed it when I tried to change my GAF bookmark from the front page to the Subscriptions and got the error when trying to load it on iOS.

Ah yeah, I get what you mean now. I never go directly to Subscriptions on either device so I've never really noticed the inconsistency between the two php pages. Maybe suggest they fix it in the Mobile GAF thread.

Zutroy

It's not officially supported on Mac until the final release. It used to all work for me in earlier DPs, but now I get weird bugs like regular texts not showing up on my Mac, but the person gets added to my messages list with an empty message anyway.

I do get calls and can answer them on my Mac consistently.
Not sure if this was the reason, but after I registered my iPhone to my Apple ID, it started working both ways and it seems pretty instant and consistent now.

A few days into the update and I have to say it has plenty of great features but this is easily the buggiest and sloppiest iOS update to date, c'mon Apple.

Iacobellis

Is there a way to turn off the step counter in Health? Not just remove the data from my dashboard, but basically disable the M8 chip from running in the background permanently?

I don't have much use for it now and probably won't until I invest in a more accurate fitness tracker.

sangreal

I'm not sure how group messaging is supposed to work in iOS.
I just sent a message two both my sister (iOS) and my father (Android). A new group conversation thread was created, and the bubble of my message is green. So instead of sending one iMessage and one text message, it sends texts to both?
Also, my father replied, but his answer is displayed in my conversation with him alone. That can't be right.

No kidding. It's awful.

Yeah pretty much how it is. Same as in iOS 7. Your father being on Android means that he "breaks" the iMessage group as he cant send or receive iMessages. So it's purely handled as an individual Text not an iMessage Group. Therefore his replies won't be grouped into an iMessage group. And Text Messages don't have received Group functionality on mobile phones (unless the individual phone chooses to do that manual after receiving the text).

It should be sent as an mms which ios and most modern Android phones group properly when there are multiple recipients.

rezuth

Some of the apps he has on the phone is purchased using your brothers account, you can either log in and update or rebuy/download them via your fathers account.

sruckus

Update through iTunes instead of OTA and you won't need as much free space.

Yep did this for the iPad. Didn't feel like redownloading magazines.

Never will buy 16 GB for an iPad ever again...if I ever even buy an iPad again. I am hoping I'll be fine with my computer and the 6. 16 GB is just not enough for magazines.

muteki

It can be useful. iPad in the bedroom, you just download a new album on your comp in the front room. Transfer the album across using wifi sync rather than going to the bedroom, getting your iPad and physically plugging in.
If only it worked like that every time. The only time I have had success with it is sitting in front of my computer with my phone and trying different combinations of closing/reopening iTunes and or enabling/disabling wifi on the phone. Maybe it is just my network, or a iTunes windows vs. mac thing but it definitely isn't dependable enough for me to use it.

I'm guessing there is a reason why the wireless sync option is buried under 3 or 4 menus.

Corgi

Banned
Might just be me, but i feel like ios 8 might be the most busted big yearly update yet, which isn't surprising with how much changed underneath.

Still is disappointing. Like last night for some reason i have zero volume control. the quick menu bar disappeared, and the volume buttons did nothing, had to hard restart my ipad mini retina.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Do Apple Maps really not give public transportation options yet?

Apparently not, which is baffling because I thought that was an intended feature for this release. I mean, they'll kick you over to Google Maps or your local transit app no problem and the implementation is pretty slick, but I don't want multiple mapping apps, I just want one. Ugh.

Apparently not, which is baffling because I thought that was an intended feature for this release. I mean, they'll kick you over to Google Maps or your local transit app no problem and the implementation is pretty slick, but I don't want multiple mapping apps, I just want one. Ugh.

If they had my bus routes, they could have gotten me to stop using Google Maps. Man, what a missed opportunity.

Either give me that, or allow Siri to just take me to Google Maps from the start, and not have to hit a bunch of buttons for it to send me to another app

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
iCloud Keychain is pretty seamless amongst iOS and Mac using Safari and its free while 1Password costs some money for iPhone iPad and Mac. If you're like me and use Windows too, that also costs money. ICloud Keychain was useful when it was the only way to do it in Safari. Now that you can use 1Password And other password services, iCloud Keychain is totally less useful.

1Password uses the TouchID to verify the user and skip the master password. I don't think you can use Touch ID to verify on another device, just the device you are using.
I guess what I'm asking is does icloud keychain integrate with Touch ID in a way that it does now with 1Password? Can I go let's say to Amazon.com and use just icloud keychain to populate the username/pass into the login fields by using touch ID, like I now can with 1Password?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Anyone install this on a 4S? It runs great on my 5, but worried about it slowing down my wife's 4s.
First day was honestly rough, while it was probably indexing things and whatever (and it got smoother after I did a reset on network settings). Now I'm not noticing much difference from 7.1.2. Still, YMMV and you may notice some milliseconds more in a transition here and there. In any case I'd still suggest waiting for 8.0.1 since there are some quirks that seem to be happening across the board on all models, unless there's any feature from 8 that's available on the 4S that she needs to use now.

A while back it was rumored that that got kicked down the road to iOS 8.1, IIRC (which is presumably the one featuring Photos in the Cloud that'll come out in early 2015).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I guess what I'm asking is does icloud keychain integrate with Touch ID in a way that it does now with 1Password? Can I go let's say to Amazon.com and use just icloud keychain to populate the username/pass into the login fields by using touch ID, like I now can with 1Password?

It doesn't use Touch ID, it has it's own "Autofill password" link above the keyboard when in a password/username field for which you've saved details for. It's less cumbersome than 1Password overall if that's what you're wondering, once a password has been saved it's autofiled when visiting the website.
So that's this, iCloud Drive, Health Kit app integration, iCloud Photo Library, SMS Relay...

If this wasn't ready in time (which it clearly wasn't) they should've delayed it.
It's disappointing to have such unrefined software, the lag everything a third-party keyboard is accessed is embarrassing.

On the other hand Yosemite is great, so I guess that's where the focus was.

They had to have a new OS for the new phone release.

Was supposed to be but got delayed, may show up in 8.1 in March.

So that's this, iCloud Drive, Health Kit app integration, iCloud Photo Library, SMS Relay...

If this wasn't ready in time (which it clearly wasn't) they should've delayed it.
It's disappointing to have such unrefined software, the lag everything a third-party keyboard is accessed is embarrassing.

icloud drive is live on windows, health had a major bug and more primed for watch, sms relay and photo library are the only ones delayed.

icloud drive is live on windows, health had a major bug and more primed for watch, sms relay and photo library are the only ones delayed.

How do I access iCloud Drive on windows? I downloaded the latest version of the iCloud control panel, but all it did was add a checkbox to turn iCloud Drive on and off. I can't actually access anything

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It doesn't use Touch ID, it has it's own "Autofill password" link above the keyboard when in a password/username field for which you've saved details for. It's less cumbersome than 1Password overall if that's what you're wondering, once a password has been saved it's autofiled when visiting the website.

They had to have a new OS for the new phone release.
That's strange - as in, it doesn't sound any different than the typical browser autofill feature where the username/pass is saved and autofilled after being entered once. If that's all it is, I don't really get what's the benefit, because if anyone ever borrows your phone to do something on it, they'll be able to log in as you into anything they want just as they would with typical browser autofill.

Top Bottom