• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone elses iPhone 5 felt like it's been stuttering since the iOS 8 update?

Mine just doesn't feel as smooth anymore...

I really wish 1Password would come out with their CloudKit beta for the mac. Not really wanting to switch to Dropbox to keep things synced between 1Password 5 and my Mac.

Before when I copied an image or gif the actual Url would copy so I could post it on message boards, like here. Now when you click copy it appears the url isn't copied

If that makes sense
Has anyone elses iPhone 5 felt like it's been stuttering since the iOS 8 update?

Me, feel like my browser has crashed multiple times.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Safari doesn't let me tap and hold onto an image to copy its URL anymore. And a lot of sites don't make their images links available visibly.

Is there some new way to go about doing that?
Before when I copied an image or gif the actual Url would copy so I could post it on message boards, like here. Now when you click copy it appears the url isn't copied

If that makes sense
Yeah I'm hoping it's a bug and not by design because it's a pretty shitty hindrance. It's enough of an annoyance to make me consider switching browsers, something I never considered before since I use Safari on both iOS and OS X.

My iPod Touch 5th gen is a bit slower now. They're about the same hardware.

5S runs just fine, though.

Not quite. The 5th gen Touch is much closer to the iPhone 4S in terms of power than the iPhone 5.

But you're right, my 5th gen Touch also seems much slower on iOS 8 than it did on 7.

I'm constantly getting logged off of mobile Gaf and other website now, can get pretty annoying.
Yeah I'm hoping it's a bug and not by design because it's a pretty shitty hindrance. It's enough of an annoyance to make me consider switching browsers, something I never considered before since I use Safari on both iOS and OS X.
Yeah really hope it's worked in.

GWX

Ah yeah, I get what you mean now. I never go directly to Subscriptions on either device so I've never really noticed the inconsistency between the two php pages. Maybe suggest they fix it in the Mobile GAF thread.

I suggested the change in the mobile GAF thread. I'm hopeful they'll change it! It's something I can live with for sure, but I wouldn't say no to a fix :)

First day was honestly rough, while it was probably indexing things and whatever (and it got smoother after I did a reset on newtork settings). Now I'm not noticing much difference from 7.1.2. Still, YMMV and you may notice some milliseconds more in a transition here and there. In any case I'd still suggest waiting for 8.0.1 since there are some quirks that seem to be happening across the board on all models, unless there's any feature from 8 that's available on the 4S that she needs to use now.

Thanks for the response. She isn't itching for any of the new features right now, so she will be fine.

Now I am debating about updating our first gen iPad minis.

Ah, I figured out my problem! I thought the whole iCloud Photo Library thing had started and that there was no way to manage your local storage of photos while keeping the cloud versions, but that's not the case! If it is the case when the iCloud Photo Library launches it will be a massive, massive oversight, but so far that's not the case. It's still using the whole photostream thing.

Okay, there's still a chance they can do these whole cloud photos thing right

My 5C feels the same :x They're pretty much the same phone, right?

I have a 5c and it's sluggish and buggy as well.

This is the kind of roughshod experience you would expect from some severe os fragmentation platform (like android) so it's surprising that we would be experiencing it on iphones already.

Corgi

Banned

same. like sometimes i open up an app, and nothing is responsive for a few seconds.

ios 8 is a pretty futsy release. hope they can get a hefty stability update sooner than later.

BunnyBear

So I thought iOS8 was meant to block ads automatically redirecting you to the App Store? It just happened to me for the third time today and I'm rocking an iPhone 6. Did I miss something? And how is this not patched yet?

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
So I thought iOS8 was meant to block ads automatically redirecting you to the App Store? It just happened to me for the third time today and I'm rocking an iPhone 6. Did I miss something? And how is this not patched yet?

It's still happening? It stopped happening for me (only tested it on one site) but maybe there are different scripts that do the same thing and Apple only blocked some.

The other things that haven't been fixed from iOS7 yet are the app screenshot when using the app switcher or when resuming an app (happens a lot in Safari when it briefly flashes a screenshot from days ago) and I hope I'm not asking too much for Apple to clearly identify which apps on the AppStore require an account to use (free or otherwise) in the same way they identify which apps require in-app purchases.

Generally speaking, it would be nice if app "requirements" were more clearly specified in the AppStore description.

f@luS

More than a member.
Hello i have few issues/question really bothering me

Site Frequently visited
Anyway to remove this from safari? or i have to manually delete them every time? i dont like private browsing

Handsoff
Does bluetooth needs to be ON for this to work between my Iphone 6 and Ipad mini retina (both ios 8)? coz if no bluetooth , its not working... and i have a lot of issue pairing them together

My most annoying issue : Search in message

I guess its a bug , because on my Iphone 6 , i cant search a name of a contact that i have a conversation with... just not working
exemple i wrote to " Franck" , i see the sms just down , but if in search i start to write "fr..." nothing is showing . It works on my ipad , used to work on my iphone 5....extremly frustratiing

last but not least : Ipad slow how come my ipad mini retina because slow in IOS 8? not overall experience but scrolling is a bit sluggish or to open a new tab in safari , feels like some frames are missing....

thanks a lot

SmokyDave

I feel like my browser fucking sucks since I updated (on a 5S). It seems to reload much more often and I've even seen a handful of 'this website has crashed and been reloaded' messages, which I'd never seen before iOS8.

Everything else seems OK, but my browser is definitely worse. Wondering if I should backup / restore.

tw1164

I've been trying to update my ipad all weekend. Itunes would just get stuck trying to reach the download servers. I was able to finally able to reach the server this morning. Itunes is reporting it's going to take 35 hours to download it. I think I just wait until next weekend.

MedIC86

i was planning on getting an iphone 6 (plus), but after reading all the woes of ios8, plus now maybe the bending issue, and most of the apps not compatible with the plus screen (and god knows how long till that is fixed) i might have to hold on to my old phone.

DOWN

Banned
Ugh. Not sure why but my music sorting is messed up and I can't use the letters on the right side of the screen to scroll through because they are in some order it can't read I guess. Tried resetting all settings and turning on/off group by artist with no luck. Reset all settings and no luck, but now Keychain isn't working.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Is this the same Chrome update that everyone says does nothing to support the new screens, or did they patch yet again to resolve that?

RubxQub

i was planning on getting an iphone 6 (plus), but after reading all the woes of ios8, plus now maybe the bending issue, and most of the apps not compatible with the plus screen (and god knows how long till that is fixed) i might have to hold on to my old phone.

Really...? I mean really?

iOS 8 is greater than the sum of its parts. the iOS is fine for most features it delivers and all features iOS 7 already had.

RubxQub

Thank you thank you thank you :D

Just make sure you read all the details/prep you need to do before you execute!

According to this site, Apple is still signing 7.1.2 so you should be all clear as long as you follow all the prep steps.

Good luck!

Is anyone having problems with their Exchange account on iOS8? I can't see any of my emails but everything else seems to be working.

Edit:

Figured it out, I had too many devices using my exchange account and had to delete a bunch of the profiles for my old phones.

FerranMG

Anybody that uses Pocket managed to setup their extension in Safari?
I don't see it under the more extensions button, as I did with 1Password.

RubxQub

Does anyone have any clue if there is an app or process that can seemless sync Exchange calendars with Apple's calendars without direct access via ActiveSync?

You can download all the OWA apps aplenty to get access to them through an app, but nothing ever attempts to bridge the gap and sync calendars for you.

This functionality would easily be a huge hit if it was ever formally supported, so I can only imagine it's next to impossible to do without ActiveSync being activated?

I want to go back to iOS 7 on my iPad 2 :/

iOS 8 is terrible for it.

This makes me worry.

Primarily because I can't remember if my iPad is an iPad 3 or an iPad 4. I don't remember when I bought it anymore. It's model "MD512LL/A". I think it's a 3rd gen, but idk. I've read some people having issues with their iPad 3's as well.

This makes me worry.

Primarily because I can't remember if my iPad is an iPad 3 or an iPad 4. I don't remember when I bought it anymore. It's model "MD512LL/A". I think it's a 3rd gen, but idk. I've read some people having issues with their iPad 3's as well.

iPad 3 uses the old 30 pin connecter while the iPad 4 uses Lightning.

Top Bottom