• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have a 5c and it's sluggish and buggy as well.

This is the kind of roughshod experience you would expect from some severe os fragmentation platform (like android) so it's surprising that we would be experiencing it on iphones already.
iOS8 has basically been smooth as butter on my 5, so I think people having problems with it is something more individual, rather than a platform problem. I'm very perceptive to performance drops on the phone I used every day for the past two years, and I really didn't notice any notable performance drop between iOS7 and 8.

panzone

I have a 5c and it's sluggish and buggy as well.

This is the kind of roughshod experience you would expect from some severe os fragmentation platform (like android) so it's surprising that we would be experiencing it on iphones already.

I have a 5c and it' s perfect, I don't really notice any difference from IOS 7 except when I open Spotlight.

I installed IOS 8 after a complete reset of the phone, probably this is the motive.

Oh, thanks!
I was checking in the second row.

What's the difference between the icons in the first row and the ones in the second? :/

That caught me out at first too! The top row is for sharing extensions, i.e. anything that involves transferring data between two apps. The bottom row is for Action Extensions, those are extensions that let you manipulate some data without leaving the app you're in.

Ecto311

Anyone using a new keyboard in iOS8 and when you get back to the messaging app it just wont let you type at all?

I am using swiftkey and all the time i have to close out the app (swipe up) then reopen it to get the keyboard working. Other keyboards have this shit going on?

Interfectum

Anyone using a new keyboard in iOS8 and when you get back to the messaging app it just wont let you type at all?

I am using swiftkey and all the time i have to close out the app (swipe up) then reopen it to get the keyboard working. Other keyboards have this shit going on?

I was having all sorts of issues with the 3rd party keyboards (lag, wrong focus on messaging, etc) so I disabled them until Apple fixes that shit.

Yup you have to open the old keyboard to get it to restart. The alternate keyboard situation in iOS is not very intuitive in use. I got really used to the word flow being integrated in the every day keyboard in windows phone, having to switch all the time is a little strange.

Ecto311

I was having all sorts of issues with the 3rd party keyboards (lag, wrong focus on messaging, etc) so I disabled them until Apple fixes that shit.

Damn I was hoping it was just the one I was using and maybe swype or another one was better without the issues.

sruckus

Anyone have safari refuse to load a page and it's just white? Refreshing doesn't matter. I literally have to close the tab and open a new one and the same site will load instantly. Grr I swore off beta releases and might just start waiting for the .0.1 update as well.

cjp

Well Runtastic Pro just updated with HealthKit, or whatever it's called, integration and now it's just crashing on launch. Anyone else?

Vyer

Anyone have safari refuse to load a page and it's just white? Refreshing doesn't matter. I literally have to close the tab and open a new one and the same site will load instantly. Grr I swore off beta releases and might just start waiting for the .0.1 update as well.

I've seen it a few times, but just scrolling seems to clear it.

Don't have that issue at all. I removed the default iPhone keyboard from the list and I seem to be having none of the problems that other people are.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Don't have that issue at all. I removed the default iPhone keyboard from the list and I seem to be having none of the problems that other people are.

Did not realize you could do this! I'll give Swiftkey another shot it seems.

Appreciate the tip.

FerranMG

That caught me out at first too! The top row is for sharing extensions, i.e. anything that involves transferring data between two apps. The bottom row is for Action Extensions, those are extensions that let you manipulate some data without leaving the app you're in.

Cool, good to know!

Futureman

SwiftKey just randomly stopped working with the "swype to type" method plus it keeps popping up a little badge above the keyboard asking for "Full Access" and I already have it set for full access :(

Gonna use the Apple keyboard for awhile until these 3rd party keyboards shape up.

GWX

SwiftKey just randomly stopped working with the "swype to type" method plus it keeps popping up a little badge above the keyboard asking for "Full Access" and I already have it set for full access :(

Gonna use the Apple keyboard for awhile until these 3rd party keyboards shape up.

This happened to me the day after I installed SwiftKey on my 5s. Also, I hate the fact that the third-party keyboards don't have slide in and out animations... So for now, I'm keeping Apple's as my default.

Corgi

Banned

worked again after i switch between keyboards and back.

3rd party keyboards is busted in general. not sure if its apple or devs fault

Futureman

Well I deleted the keyboard and added it back. Works again.

I'll put up with some bugs as I just love swype typing. Hopefully they update often.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so regarding family sharing... Seems to me to be two big downsides. First is the lack of sharing iTunes Match. Granted I know that's more of a "cheat" than a downside.

However more innocent than that is the lack of iTunes in the cloud. The point of sharing is that it gives you acces to the purchased content from your family, but the only way you can get acces to that content is from within the respective stores? Seems horribly short sighted.

Ironically the 14 year old would be fine losing iTunes match as it's almost entirely MY CD collection. But when explained effectively losing access to purchased songs showing up automatically in the music app she basically said "That sounds horrible!"

If family purchases would show up on your device in the cloud I think family sharing would gain much more traction.

samn

I'm not liking 3rd party keyboards. Two reasons:

- they can't switch into light/dark modes. So a white keyboard looks dumb in Spotlight, while a black keyboard looks dumb in Notes. It's jarring.

- they can't show the Done/Go/Next buttons, which means I have no idea what will happen when I press enter. Sometimes the behaviour of enter in custom keyboards differs from what happened on the stock keyboard - for example, on Snapchat, the stock keyboard 'Done' button ends text entry. But with SwiftKey, the enter key adds a new line and I have to tap around to find a different way to close the keyboard.

jts

...hate me...
Keyboard support has a ways to go. Besides everything said, switching between keyboards is very cumbersome. Usually I have to switch between portuguese, english, and emoji keyboards. With the 1st party keyboards, that's kinda ok. Enter 3rd party ones, it's hell.

Also, is it wrong that I'm disapointed that 3 years after Siri was introduced, Siri in portuguese is still nowhere in sight? I mean, c'mon, iOS (nuance) dictation have supported portuguese for a long time. It also supports portuguese text-to-speach. Just translate some basic commands damnit :(

Is there a point to the medical app right now? I know we're waiting for support from other apps, but I figured it would at least track my steps right now. But I got nothing on the data screen.

jts

...hate me...
Is there a point to the medical app right now? I know we're waiting for support from other apps, but I figured it would at least track my steps right now. But I got nothing on the data screen.
Only 5s and later support that feature (motion co-processor). But I dunno if it's enabled or not, being a peasant 5 user.

so regarding family sharing... Seems to me to be two big downsides. First is the lack of sharing iTunes Match. Granted I know that's more of a "cheat" than a downside.

However more innocent than that is the lack of iTunes in the cloud. The point of sharing is that it gives you acces to the purchased content from your family, but the only way you can get acces to that content is from within the respective stores? Seems horribly short sighted.

Ironically the 14 year old would be fine losing iTunes match as it's almost entirely MY CD collection. But when explained effectively losing access to purchased songs showing up automatically in the music app she basically said "That sounds horrible!"

If family purchases would show up on your device in the cloud I think family sharing would gain much more traction.

How about movies?

amm

Weird issue since I updated where if I try to add music files via iTunes Wifi i get an "waiting for update..." prompt for a minute or two before the files load on to it. This happens in every single instance instead of the file just automatically loading on to the phone. There is also a prompt afterwards 'completing update..' or something. It makes this process much longer. Anyone know of a workaround? Using Mavericks and everything is up to date.

Vyer

I don't think the HealthKit stuff has 'launched' yet. As far as steps go, if you have a supported phone, you can find it and other things under 'All' in 'Health Data'. You can have it save to the dashboard of the Health app.

f@luS

More than a member.
Hello i have few issues/question really bothering me

Site Frequently visited
Anyway to remove this from safari? or i have to manually delete them every time? i dont like private browsing

Handsoff
Does bluetooth needs to be ON for this to work between my Iphone 6 and Ipad mini retina (both ios 8)? coz if no bluetooth , its not working... and i have a lot of issue pairing them together

My most annoying issue : Search in message

I guess its a bug , because on my Iphone 6 , i cant search a name of a contact that i have a conversation with... just not working
exemple i wrote to " Franck" , i see the sms just down , but if in search i start to write "fr..." nothing is showing . It works on my ipad , used to work on my iphone 5....extremly frustratiing

last but not least : Ipad slow how come my ipad mini retina because slow in IOS 8? not overall experience but scrolling is a bit sluggish or to open a new tab in safari , feels like some frames are missing....

thanks a lot

auto quote ( :( )

"oh look, it's nothing!" About sums is up.

About steps counting, interestingly enough my 5S has been keeping track since September 2nd...

Health works for the M7/M8 local stuff (you'll notice steps walked, floors climbed, etc work). It's the app backend sync integration that got delayed.

jts

...hate me...
BTW today I was walking at a mall, and the App Store icon popped up on my lockscreen.

Swiped up, took me to the page to download the Zara app.

iBeacons!

xbhaskarx

Is "Shake to Undo" gone yet, or can it at least be disabled?

iOS-7-Shake-to-undo-typing.jpg

Ghazi

^Ah, so that's why that keeps happening...

One of my friends had a shortcut for an app on the bottom left of their lock screen. How'd they do that?

samn

^Ah, so that's why that keeps happening...

One of my friends had a shortcut for an app on the bottom left of their lock screen. How'd they do that?

It was either a location-based suggestion, e.g. you're in Starbucks so it tells you to open the Starbucks app

Or they had an app open on another iDevice. Swiping up on the shortcut will open that app wherever you left off. This feature is called Handoff.

Ghazi

It was either a location-based suggestion, e.g. you're in Starbucks so it tells you to open the Starbucks app

Or they had an app open on another iDevice. Swiping up on the shortcut will open that app wherever you left off. This feature is called Handoff.

Ah, ok. We were in a university and it was school related. However, they already had it on their device. Have no clue if they have any other devices with it on there, though.

DOWN

Banned
No luck fixing this sorting bug. Song sorting works, by Artist doesn't. It jumps from A to V to A. And the letters on the right don't start working till my finger hits around U. Restoring didn't work.

EDIT: It has something to do with iCloud purchases. I tried this before so not sure what I did differently, but this time when I turned off "Show All Music" and restarted the app, it seems fine sorting it all. Once I let it show all including the available cloud purchases, it messes up.

I have a 5c and it' s perfect, I don't really notice any difference from IOS 7 except when I open Spotlight.

I installed IOS 8 after a complete reset of the phone, probably this is the motive.

I should probably do this. The keyboard has been super buggy. SwiftKey hasn't been to kind to me. :(

I haven't had a chance to play with the music app, can anyone tell me if artist view is like iOS7 where you have one giant list of albums and their tracks or is it like older versions where you tap an artist and then are presented with a list of albums?

Top Bottom