• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

I haven't had a chance to play with the music app, can anyone tell me if artist view is like iOS7 where you have one giant list of albums and their tracks or is it like older versions where you tap an artist and then are presented with a list of albums?

Same exact thing as iOS7 unfortunately. I wish there was an option to sort albums at least by chronological order instead of newest on top

Wasn't there a thread or a discussion recently about Siri and how it couldn't tag songs that it identified?

I just noticed that in iTunes (Mac), if you click the little button next to Library (the one that takes you to your Wishlist), it will give you a list of tagged songs under 'Siri'.

Ever since updating, Safari on my iPad 4 has been at least twice as slow, and about 1/10 pageloads gives me a reload of the page and this message: "A problem occured with this webpage so it was reloaded."

FTF

On my Iphone 5s safari with wi-fi is definitely slower and battery life is (slightly but noticeably) worse :/

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I haven't had a chance to play with the music app, can anyone tell me if artist view is like iOS7 where you have one giant list of albums and their tracks or is it like older versions where you tap an artist and then are presented with a list of albums?

Like iOS7, unfortunately.

Tried disabling the default keyboard and leaving only emoji and Swiftkey active. Still kept running into the bug where the keyboard failed to appear (mostly for Spotlight and the App Store). It happens so much, I just turned swiftkey off. Will wait for some patches. So irritating.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Is Spotlight crapping out for anyone else? Instead of the smooth background, everything is turning grayscale and pixilated.

Erebus

So when can we expect the 8.0.1 to come out?

Is Spotlight crapping out for anyone else? Instead of the smooth background, everything is turning grayscale and pixilated.
It is a known bug. I have to hard reset my phone to get rid of it when it happens.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So should i upgrade my ipad mini from 7 to 8? It says it's supported but we all know that means shit. I'm worried about performance and battery drain, specially the battery drain since my mini doesn't last so long and it takes a long time to charge.

mrkgoo

I haven't seen that, but the spotlight scene is annoying because previously if I afticated it accidentally I could just swipe it back away.

But it feels way less responsive now and I end up tapping and swiping multiple times and nothing happens.

Majine

Banned
Apple seems to have abandoned dynamic wallpapers altogether.

A shame, I like the current one but would like options. And not just different colors.

On my Iphone 5s safari with wi-fi is definitely slower and battery life is (slightly but noticeably) worse :/

I ran Speedtest on my new iPhone 6 and got the same results that I did with my iPad Air running iOS 7 and my 4S running 7.

Do these wifi issues not affect the new phones? Someone said they reset their network settings on their Air and it helped.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You know you can remove that right now.

Do you mean Reduce Motion or the Perspective thing when you set a background? The problem with Reduce Motion is that it kills all the animations. I don't quite mind the zooming in and out of apps thing, as ugly as the parallax is.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Do you mean Reduce Motion or the Perspective thing when you set a background? The problem with Reduce Motion is that it kills all the animations. I don't quite mind the zooming in and out of apps thing, as ugly as the parallax is.

Put your background to be the exact pixel dimensions of the screen, it'll limit the amount it pans around.

Disappointed there weren't new ones from Apple themselves.

Apple seems to have abandoned dynamic wallpapers altogether.

A shame, I like the current one but would like options. And not just different colors.

Thats definitely a shame. I guess it takes up battery life and is a strain for older phones, but why not let users choose to enable and disable them? And allow developers to make em?

I guess there are some security issues that still need to be worked out. *fingers crossed*

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
so regarding family sharing... Seems to me to be two big downsides. First is the lack of sharing iTunes Match. Granted I know that's more of a "cheat" than a downside.

However more innocent than that is the lack of iTunes in the cloud. The point of sharing is that it gives you acces to the purchased content from your family, but the only way you can get acces to that content is from within the respective stores? Seems horribly short sighted.

Ironically the 14 year old would be fine losing iTunes match as it's almost entirely MY CD collection. But when explained effectively losing access to purchased songs showing up automatically in the music app she basically said "That sounds horrible!"

If family purchases would show up on your device in the cloud I think family sharing would gain much more traction.

Yeah, that kinda makes me want to avoid it for now. I can see them changing the way it functions later, but as of now, my wife and I will still be sharing one Store ID and keep our separate iCloud log ins.

GWX

Devs have to update the apps with the funcionality.

:(

I don't think that's the case, Fuu. Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading quick reply is only going to work with Apple's Messages app. Third-party apps can only have the two-button interactive notifications.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't think that's the case, Fuu. Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading quick reply is only going to work with Apple's Messages app. Third-party apps can only have the two-button interactive notifications.
I'm pretty sure I replied to a Twitter notification with quick reply. But FaceBook doesn't suoppot it yet. I'll confirm next time someone tweets.

Edit: Well that didn't take long. Thanks JonTron. Confirmed, Twitter does NOT allow quick reply. Just retweet and favorite. Anyone know if the FaceBook Messenger app can or will allow replying yet? I was under the impression this was supposed to be a feature. Even OS X Yosemite lets me reply in place. Maybe it only works for @ replies and not tweet notifications?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Anyone know a good app with food inventory and grocery lists combined that features expiration dates and sharing/syncing across multiple devices? The ones I've tred have quirks, like a strange setup such as requiring a location (Prep & Pantry) or not being able to separate the number in the pantry and grocery list (Pantry Manager).

That is extremely disappointing

The new photo stuff is annoying me. I just want my camera roll back.

Also, I keep spotlight off. Is there any way I can access the spotlight online search only?

They need too seriously fix the goddamn wifi issues because my iPhone and iPad Air's speed dropped significantly from 50 mb's to 10 on an always stable 5GHz connection.

jts

...hate me...
Spotlight has never been this slow.

Sometimes you type one more character and have to wait 5 seconds for the same results, further filtered or not, to show up again.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Honestly Quick Reply might be the best feature of iOS8 for me. That and extensions

It's not quite as good as BiteSMS was on a jailbreak, but it's still a good addition. That little text box looks really strange when you've got the pop-up notification. Haven't tried writing in the banner ones yet.

Mindwipe

I ran Speedtest on my new iPhone 6 and got the same results that I did with my iPad Air running iOS 7 and my 4S running 7.

Do these wifi issues not affect the new phones? Someone said they reset their network settings on their Air and it helped.

They seem to be heavily router dependent, and to a certain extent just random.

So I suspect you're just lucky.

Mindwipe

The Facebook web interface now pops up a message if you try and upload a picture to tell you that the photo picker in iOS8 is broken and they're taking it up with Apple.

FFS.

One thing that is really bothering me is I keep getting a notification every 5 minutes on my iPad Mini that I don't have a SIM card installed. On iOS7 this never happened.

Top Bottom