• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Question:

I like swipe to unlock, without an annoying passcode or finger scan, but I would like to use Touch ID to purchase things on the App Store and/or unlock apps like 1Password with it, because it's convenient. Does that finally work on iOS 8 or is it like iOS 7 where you are forced to at least use a passcode to unlock your phone as soon as you enable Touch ID? Thanks in advance!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
good read, thanks.

I haven't yet, through my iphones, iPads and Nexus 7s, found a keyboard I really feel completely comfortable with. Honestly the closest so far has been Windows phone 8 on my low end Lumia.

Live the windows phone keyboard. Swift key is ok too and will still be massively better than the stock ios keyboard. I hope some of them let you use a smaller keyboard - I can imagine a swype style keyboard being a bit tricky on a big iPad.

Lastpass is fantastic news. Finally no more back and forth, copy and paste

Kattbuss

1password seems to be free today as well.
I've never used one of these password managers but I guess I'll try this one.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Question:

I like swipe to unlock, without an annoying passcode or finger scan, but I would like to use Touch ID to purchase things on the App Store and/or unlock apps like 1Password with it, because it's convenient. Does that finally work on iOS 8 or is it like iOS 7 where you are forced to at least use a passcode to unlock your phone as soon as you enable Touch ID? Thanks in advance!
iPhone unlock with ID can be turned off separately from other Touch ID uses.

Question:

What's wrong with touchID to unlock? it works flawlessly for me and even if activated I can swipe to unlock?!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Thanks for the reply!
So does that mean I can swipe to unlock my phone without using passcode and/or Touch ID but still have Touch ID activated for other uses?
Setting no passcode should be an option. But even if not, doesn't setting the auto lock to 5 min alleviate most issues?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
1password seems to be free today as well.
I've never used one of these password managers but I guess I'll try this one.

Does 1password have access to your browser passwords or no? I thought it didn't. If it doesn't have the option to remember passwords you input in Chrome or Safari then it seems like using the respective browser password sync services are better (for browsers, at least)

What's wrong with touchID to unlock? it works flawlessly for me and even if activated I can swipe to unlock?!
I don't like it. Especially when I receive a message from someone and swipe the notification to enter the app. You can't do that with Touch ID for lock screen activated, unless you put your finger down on the home button. And if not, you need to enter the passcode. I just want to use Touch ID to make purchases in the App Store, when I need to enter my password somewhere and/or open an app.

Setting no passcode should be an option. But even if not, doesn't setting the auto lock to 5 min alleviate most issues?
Well, you can turn passcode off, but it will automatically turn off Touch ID as well. There is no option in iOS 7 which let's you use Touch ID solely for the things mentioned above.

ht5883--touch_settingktr2u.png

As soon as you activate the "iTunes & AppStore" option, it automatically turns on the passcode, which forces you to enter it every time you unlock your phone. If you turn off the passcode, the "iTunes & AppStore" option turns off as well.

So, does iOS 8 eliminate this problem :/ ?

tanuki

Tried out the lastpass update, awesome stuff! Took me a while to figure out how to make it work though; in Safari you need to press the middle button at the bottom of the screen, then scroll to the right until you see "More", then you can enable Lastpass from there.

Game changer. Looking forward to the new keyboards too.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Can't personally check because I require a passcode. But in iOS8 at least you can quick reply to notifications from the lockscreen.

jts

...hate me...
Swype will make bank as soon as it hits the App Store today. Everybody will want to try out a new keyboard on iOS.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Swype will make bank as soon as it hits the App Store today. Everybody will want to try out a new keyboard on iOS.

No desire to use swype but curious about alt keyboards anyway.

iOS 8 jailbreak pls ;_;

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does 1password have access to your browser passwords or no? I thought it didn't. If it doesn't have the option to remember passwords you input in Chrome or Safari then it seems like using the respective browser password sync services are better (for browsers, at least)

No, these apps like 1password or lastpass store your passwords separately, and then insert them into your browser when you need them. At least on desktop or android. With ios previously, you either had to use the app's built in browser, or copy/switch app/paste which is a pain.

Now with extensions those apps will be able to enter your secure passwords directly into safari. That is huge for me.

ramyeon

Is this or SwiftKey the one to get? I'm leaning towards SwiftKey, although actual swiping to type doesn't really do anything for me personally.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
No, these apps like 1password or lastpass store your passwords separately, and then insert them into your browser when you need them. At least on desktop or android. With ios previously, you either had to use the app's built in browser, or copy/switch app/paste which is a pain.

Now with extensions those apps will be able to enter your secure passwords directly into safari. That is huge for me.

I use lastpass but both Chrome and Safari have password syncing now so I'm not sure of the point of using third party password managers now, at least for across device sync purposes.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I use lastpass but both Chrome and Safari have password syncing now so I'm not sure of the point of using third party password managers now, at least for across device sync purposes.
The app extensions can in theory interact with other apps not just the browsers.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
meh, maybe it's time to switch in my iPhone4 ? The home button is sort of not working 50 % of the time anyway

Blackhead

Redarse
meh, maybe it's time to switch in my iPhone4 ? The home button is sort of not working 50 % of the time anyway
iPhone 4 won't be getting any more updates which would leave you vulnerable to security issues in the future. definitely time to upgrade

Probably old info, but
1password is currently free.

Nice! edit: oh they've switched to an IAP purchase model? Does this mean the iOS8 features will cost extra?

Timan

Developer
Not sure if this has been asked before, but is there a way to turn off recents? thing that shows up when you multitask.

Majine

Banned
Tried airdropping from Mac to iPad for the first time, pretty snazzy I have to say. If it all continues to work, I'm finally gonna be able to stop having to e-mail myself, which is a demoralizing thing to do.

Aiii

So not worth it
Been rocking iOS8 since just after the presentation last week on my iPad Mini, but it's not really anything special so far.

The only two changes I'm excited for is Chrome getting the faster browser engine that was previously exclusive to Safari and custom keyboards so I can finally have swipetyping on my iPad as well.

That said, is Swype iPad compatible? I believe Swiftkey is currently iPhone only?

Deku Tree

Been rocking iOS8 since just after the presentation last week on my iPad Mini, but it's not really anything special so far.

The only two changes I'm excited for is Chrome getting the faster browser engine that was previously exclusive to Safari and custom keyboards so I can finally have swipetyping on my iPad as well.

That said, is Swype iPad compatible? I believe Swiftkey is currently iPhone only?

Getting phone calls on my iPad air is the best advancement ever. I never carry my phone around my house anymore. I can't wait until sms works on my air too!

Is that confirmed?

Top Bottom