• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Is it possible to take publications out of Newsstand and to keep them on your home screen?
No :(
One thing that is really bothering me is I keep getting a notification every 5 minutes on my iPad Mini that I don't have a SIM card installed. On iOS7 this never happened.
It won't go away. It's like this on pretty much every cellular device. Talk to a friend or family member and see if they have an old SIM laying around. That's about your only choice.

Daffy Duck

The wireless on my 5S and my girlfriends 5S now seems to be pants on iOS8, browsing the internet is painfully slow and sometimes FB says it has a network error as no connection available.

Then there are the issues with wi-fi disconnecting for a few seconds.

What a wonderful update.

The wireless on my 5S and my girlfriends 5S now seems to be pants on iOS8, browsing the internet is painfully slow and sometimes FB says it has a network error as no connection available.

What a wonderful update.

Try changing the DNS on your iOS device to 8.8.8.8.

Do this for the wifi you use by clicking on the blue exclamation mark next to it.

It worked for me.

Excko

What a wonderful update.

That's exactly why I downgraded both my iphone 4S and my iPad Air back to ios7.

Come on Apple, fix your stuff.

dock

Is anyone else having problems with the Health app? It hasn't logged any data since I got iOS8, despite me having a 5S.

I wonder whether my 'Pedometer++' app is blocking the app.

Is anyone else having problems with the Health app? It hasn't logged any data since I got iOS8, despite me having a 5S.

I wonder whether my 'Pedometer++' app is blocking the app.

Health App is not 100% up and running yet, I believe all data exchange is yet to be allowed by Apple. They are working on various bug fixes apparently.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Health App is not 100% up and running yet, I believe all data exchange is yet to be allowed by Apple. They are working on various bug fixes apparently.

Steps and flights climbed are working though, at least. My 6 has been tracking mine since I got it without any third party apps being tied into it, not sure if it's just an issue with the 5s?

I know Health app are pushed back, but is there any accessory that will be compatible I should keep on my radar ?

I'd like something manly for running sessions, that possibly would tell how much calories I bured, etc. I really don't know where to look. I hear Nike furl will be discontinued ?

Whjat is the most complete solution that is not too expensive ?

Thanks !

I know Health app are pushed back, but is there any accessory that will be compatible I should keep on my radar ?

I'd like something manly for running sessions, that possibly would tell how much calories I bured, etc. I really don't know where to look. I hear Nike furl will be discontinued ?

Whjat is the most complete solution that is not too expensive ?

Thanks !

Apple watch. :p

No idea, I would wait a while for a few candidates to be released with full health book compatibility. I'm sure there will be plenty by the end of the year.

Is there a good Notification Center primer out there? It's a feature I've never really used, and it seems like only a few apps I have can take advantage of the "Today's Stuff" page. What should I download for it?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't think that's the case, Fuu. Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading quick reply is only going to work with Apple's Messages app. Third-party apps can only have the two-button interactive notifications.
That's a shame. :/ Hopefully other message apps will at least update with the interactive notifications buttons like Twitter did then.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is there a good Notification Center primer out there? It's a feature I've never really used, and it seems like only a few apps I have can take advantage of the "Today's Stuff" page. What should I download for it?

I'm using the widget bundle (Forecast+, Agenda+ and Paste+) which http://avaniolabs.com/software sells, for Weather, Calendar and a Clipboard/share manager respectively. Agenda+ hooks into the native Calendar app.

Edit: I totally forgot about Launcher, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/launcher-favorites-at-your/id905099592?mt=8
Allows for a whole bunch of shortcuts to apps, contacts, websites etc.

Dany

Banned
thank christ

Update: It appears that there is an issue with iOS 8.0.1 causing cellular service to be disabled. Many early installers are reporting "No Service" messages after updating. There are also reports of problems with Touch ID.

att on iphone 6. no service. goodness apple cmon lol

Stasis

Unusable with iPad mini 1. Glad I managed to revert back to 7 before it was no longer signed.

This was my first foray into Apple, and while I'm well aware of Android's many previous (and some current, though to a much lesser degree) faults, this is just pushing me back to where I started.

I can't say an iPad Air or mini 2 is the best option anymore, like I could say the mini was when I bought it. At least not for me. Maybe I'll revisit one day. In the meantime I'm ok with being on iOS 7 and somewhat amused by all the issues and "it just works" jokes. It's time for an Android tablet.

Unusable with iPad mini 1. Glad I managed to revert back to 7 before it was no longer signed.

This was my first foray into Apple, and while I'm well aware of Android's many previous (and some current, though to a much lesser degree) faults, this is just pushing me back to where I started.

I can't say an iPad Air or mini 2 is the best option anymore, like I could say the mini was when I bought it. At least not for me. Maybe I'll revisit one day. In the meantime I'm ok with being on iOS 7 and somewhat amused by all the issues and "it just works" jokes. It's time for an Android tablet.

Nexus 9 perhaps? That's what I'm waiting for.

I'm using the widget bundle (Forecast+, Agenda+ and Paste+) which http://avaniolabs.com/software sells, for Weather, Calendar and a Clipboard/share manager respectively. Agenda+ hooks into the native Calendar app.

Edit: I totally forgot about Launcher, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/launcher-favorites-at-your/id905099592?mt=8
Allows for a whole bunch of shortcuts to apps, contacts, websites etc.

I haven't tried the other apps in the Avanio bundle, but if you are just looking to get one, I definitely wouldn't recommend Forecast+. It doesn't have any GPS, so you have to manually search for your city. If you happen to live in a city whose name appears multiple times throughout the country, it's hard to figure out from the bare-bones search which city is correct. On top of that, the actual forecast data is way off compared to other apps such as Yahoo or The Weather Channel which makes it unreliable.

I love the look of it though, but that definitely doesn't excuse the lack of usability/features. Hoping for an update soon before I uninstall it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I haven't tried the other apps in the Avanio bundle, but if you are just looking to get one, I definitely wouldn't recommend Forecast+. It doesn't have any GPS, so you have to manually search for your city. If you happen to live in a city whose name appears multiple times throughout the country, it's hard to figure out from the bare-bones search which city is correct. On top of that, the actual forecast data is way off compared to other apps such as Yahoo or The Weather Channel which makes it unreliable.

I love the look of it though, but that definitely doesn't excuse the lack of usability/features. Hoping for an update soon before I uninstall it.

Yeah Forecast+ as it stands isn't ideal, but the developers have said that the next update that's coming soon will have GPS location based weather forecasting.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
My phone went from 20 percent to 13% if a matter of minutes. Then it shut off at 12% and told me to plug it in. When I plugged it in it turned on at 17%.

Wtf, never had battery issues before.

My phone went from 20 percent to 13% if a matter of minutes. Then it shut off at 12% and told me to plug it in. When I plugged it in it turned on at 17%.

Seems their metrics are fucked. Specifically, the firmware appears to have no fucking idea what the battery's status is.

The iOS 8.0.1 "do-over" by Apple pretty much cements this is by far the worst iOS major release. Some truly appalling quality control, and they're very quickly losing sight of the "simplicity for stability" tradeoff.

How old is your battery? That could just be bad timing. My wife's 5 started doing that after it was about 1.5 years old.

Mine went from 27% to 11% to 19% in a matter of minutes and without me trying to charge it

mrkgoo

My battery did that on ios7. If it's not one of the bad battery iPhone 5 models, I'd just say it's just a calibration inaccuracy. Try charging it fully then draining it until a it's completely dead and leaving it dead for a couple hours then plugging it in and charging it back to 100 % uninterrupted.

Seems their metrics are fucked. Specifically, the firmware appears to have no fucking idea what the battery's status is.

The iOS 8.0.1 "do-over" by Apple pretty much cements this is by far the worst iOS major release. Some truly appalling quality control, and they're very quickly losing sight of the "simplicity for stability" tradeoff.

I've been around since the iPhone 3g, te first iPod touch, and the first iPad. Every iOS x.0 release has had issues and bugs were cleaned up over time. The effect is exaggerated
Since you're often going from the most stable and bug free version of the prior release to the
Most buggy one of the next.

Te loss of cellular is a big goof for sure, but at least it's recognisable and widespread enough that it will likely be fixed in a matter of days if not sooner and is other wise not an actually security issue. Sure it may be a safety issue for some who need a phone in the next few days but chances are it will be patched and largely forgotten it ever happened.

What about the ssl bugs that plagued ios 6
Unknown for like months? Or the major battery drain issues on early releases of iOS 5? There's always something. Usually theres some wifi problem too.

Not saying it's a free pass for Apple to be shabby, but you would think that some room go patches early one would be expected by now.

Majine

Banned
Man, Skypes actionable notifications are a real bummer. "Reply" just opens the app instead of giving you the input field as in Messages. What was the point?

Blackhead

Redarse
Man, Skypes actionable notifications are a real bummer. "Reply" just opens the app instead of giving you the input field as in Messages. What was the point?

Is the input field api open to third party apps? Have any been updated yet (Whatsapp, Viber etc)?

Wtf

Safari is automatically deleting pages of my reading list instead of allowing me to manually delete them.

Anyone know a fix for this?

Top Bottom