• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Man iOS 8 really messed my battery life up. I updated from iOS6 and it's so much worse. I have a 5. Does 8.0.2 remedy it at all?

Man iOS 8 really messed my battery life up. I updated from iOS6 and it's so much worse. I have a 5. Does 8.0.2 remedy it at all?

Mine is also awful. Due to so many service issues with the 8.2 update though, I'll deal with it for now. I'm pretty disappointed by the release(s), nothing but problems.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.

Mine is also awful. Due to so many service issues with the 8.2 update though, I'll deal with it for now. I'm pretty disappointed by the release(s), nothing but problems.

I just turned off most system services under Location Data and it seemed to have improved it a bit. Only one I kept on is Find my iPhone.

My 5 has been garbage since 7. Phone just died now at 40% so that's new lol. I qualify for the battery replacement. Just need to drive to the nearest one.

The biggest disappointment in iOS 8 is that maps hasn't been updated.
Still no public transport or cycling routes.
These have been promised and expected ever since Apple came out with maps. It's over due!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The biggest disappointment in iOS 8 is that maps hasn't been updated.
Still no public transport or cycling routes.
These have been promised and expected ever since Apple came out with maps. It's over due!

Absolutely agree. It's basically a deal-breaker. I don't have a car, and I don't walk everywhere. I'm on transit/bikes, so it's all Google Maps.

A pity, since Apple Maps is truly beautiful and it seems to have my city perfectly mapped out. I imagine they've made a lot of progress in the last few years on that front.

They need to buy a company with transit data... that would be a hell of a lot more relevant to me than Beats...

Apple Maps is a joke.

We aren't going to see it on the same level as Google for years. If ever. It's best to pretend it doesn't exist. The Google app looks better anyway.

Thing is, it integrates seamlessly with siri, calendar and contacts. I would love apple maps to catch up. or at least close the gap.

gimmmick

I like Google Maps, but man do I hate its driving navigation fictions. Nowhere near as nice as Apple Maps, and cannot figure out how to properly use of while also listening to music.

That's funny because I can't stand apple maps for this reason. It seems like it always too late when making turns.

Rekubot

iPhone 5S user here also having serious battery issues since the iOS 8 update. Just used Runkeeper for 45 minutes and the battery dropped 70%. Two weeks ago it would have dropped 20% at the most, and that's with Bluetooth streaming music.

The phone gets ridiculously hot even during normal use, again a new issue. It also seems to struggle with obtaining wifi and mobile data, but that could be placebo.

Updating to 8.0.2 to see if any of these issues are resolved.

Ninja Dom

Apple Maps is a joke.

We aren't going to see it on the same level as Google for years. If ever. It's best to pretend it doesn't exist. The Google app looks better anyway.

Apple Maps has come an awful long way, it's not as bad as you think anymore. And for navigation it has a far better speech than Google Maps. On the whole it still isn't as good as Google Maps but its far, far better than it used to be.

Ninja Dom

iOS 8.0.2 Update done successfully on my iPhone 6. No Touch ID problems and No network reception issues. All working fine.

Done OTA, Unlocked iPhone 6 from Apple Online, 128GB running on O2 in the UK.

Nicktendo86

Thing is, it integrates seamlessly with siri, calendar and contacts. I would love apple maps to catch up. or at least close the gap.
If apple let you set default apps like android does it wouldn't be an issue. The moment they do I would give serious consideration to getting am iPhone.

mrkgoo

My iPhone 5 came up with "inappropriate response from device" warning in iTunes during his the final verification step before it rebooted. I clicked ok and the updated continued in the phone fine. Was I ok?

The bug of some of my square photos I'm sharing on iCloud photo sharing having blank thumbnails was not corrected, and now I have a new bug whereby my apps I updated on iTunes and synced over briefly show as I updated in thenipohoen AppStore and don't clear away the notification badge.

Ryu1999

If apple let you set default apps like android does it wouldn't be an issue. The moment they do I would give serious consideration to getting am iPhone.

That's the main thing I miss from my jailbroken 5 - thankfully some apps allow you to choose between opening a location in Apple Maps or Google Maps

I doubt that will happen. one of the major draws of the entire ecosystem is the 'it just works' set-up they have going (for the most part anyway).
I'm techsavy, but even I just can no longer be arsed to go through complicated options and settings menus to get my yahoo mail to work with my google calendar and my iphone contacts. And even if I get it to work its anything but seamless and painless once done.

AndTAR

Messing a bit around to see if there might be some smaller/unmentioned fixes. Checked the Safari share sheet reset bug, that one's still there it looks like. Anyone else finding stuff?

Vyer

Wifi still shit on 8.0.2, ffs.

Might help if you change the channel your wifi is broadcasting on on your router or to update the router firmware. Couple of times at work when I've had wifi issues with new devices introduced I found a router update to help.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Might help if you change the channel your wifi is broadcasting on on your router or to update the router firmware. Couple of times at work when I've had wifi issues with new devices introduced I found a router update to help.
I've gone through several channels already, and another 5S I have here on iOS 7 has no problems at all. It's software related no doubt.

To clarify the problem, webpages take forever to load, the Safari loading bar sits at I would say "10%" for up to 30-40 seconds before the page loads. Same in Chrome, Twitter, FB, the AppStore...

Speed tests meanwhile I get maxed out speeds on my network.

Something bottlenecks the connection when it's under prolonged use.

And as I said my other iOS 7 5S who's on the exact same network have none of these issues.

dock

Camera+ has been updated to support editing from within the Photos app directly. This works amazingly well, and makes a huge difference to dealing with images! I just hope other apps get updated in time.

I'm over the moon at the improvements to the Photos stuff in IOS 8.

Vyer

I've gone through several channels already, and another 5S I have here on iOS 7 has no problems at all. It's software related no doubt.

To clarify the problem, webpages take forever to load, the Safari loading bar sits at I would say "10%" for up to 30-40 seconds before the page loads. Same in Chrome, Twitter, FB, the AppStore...

And as I said my other iOS 7 5S who's on the exact same network have none of these issues.

Likely, but just offering a suggestion. I've seen some weird shit before.

Might have to try a restore of the phone, perhaps something got screwed up in the update.

Would also try doing the network settings reset, closing everything out of memory and the phone reboot.

Are you having the problem on other wifi networks (other than yours)? If it's consistent across different connections/routers, I would maybe look into getting the phone swapped.

All I can really think of. I put 8 on a 5 and have a 6, and will try the update on my wife's 5S tonight. So far haven't had wifi problems but we'll see what happens with hers.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Likely, but just offering a suggestion. I've seen some weird shit before.

Might have to try a restore of the phone, perhaps something got screwed up in the update.

Would also try doing the network settings reset, closing everything out of memory and the phone reboot.

Are you having the problem on other wifi networks (other than yours)? If it's consistent across different connections/routers, I would maybe look into getting the phone swapped.

All I can really think of. I put 8 on a 5 and have a 6, and will try the update on my wife's 5S tonight. So far haven't had wifi problems but we'll see what happens with hers.
Reset settings didn't help. I'm gonna hold out until my 6 arrives then restore this as a new device, fortunately I can get 4G in parts(!) of my house lol which goes up to 100mbits so it's not all terrible. Wifi at work suffers similarly to at home so I don't think its my router.

kr2t0s

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-25/apple-s-iphone-software-snafu-has-links-to-flawed-maps.html

The manager responsible for the iOS 8.0.1 debacle is also responsible for the Maps disaster as well.

Wouldn't want to be that guy.

Thats like blaming the QA department for why a video game is bad. This is such terrible reporting. This guy didn't come up with the ideas or implement them or anything like that. Plus they actually used his real name.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

rezuth

Thats like blaming the QA department for why a video game is bad. This is such terrible reporting. This guy didn't come up with the ideas or implement them or anything like that. Plus they actually used his real name.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

The persons job is to catch any major bugs before it ships, clearly the person did not deliver.

The persons job is to catch any major bugs before it ships, clearly the person did not deliver.

I thought it was journalism etiquette not to take names like this, Thats like taking the name of Joe somebody in the finance department by Wall Street Journal as the reason the error occured which resulted in bad calculation

Juice

iPhone 5S user here also having serious battery issues since the iOS 8 update. Just used Runkeeper for 45 minutes and the battery dropped 70%. Two weeks ago it would have dropped 20% at the most, and that's with Bluetooth streaming music.

The phone gets ridiculously hot even during normal use, again a new issue. It also seems to struggle with obtaining wifi and mobile data, but that could be placebo.

Updating to 8.0.2 to see if any of these issues are resolved.

If you restore your phone and do not restore from backup it will probably fix this and a lot of other problems

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I thought it was journalism etiquette not to take names like this, Thats like taking the name of Joe somebody in the finance department by Wall Street Journal as the reason the error occured which resulted in bad calculation

Macrumors did the same thing - a post naming and shaming the supposed person responsible, they even linked directly to his LinkedIn profile, but now they've updated the post to remove the name after a load of negative comments from their readers.

My 5S shares the same problem. I haven't tried a full restore yet and hope that will fix it. Fixes that can be done on the phone itself are temporary and the problem returns in minutes.

Still using my 4S until my 6 arrives. 8.0 definitely runs slower than 7 though.

Anyone update to 8.0.2 on a 4S? Any performance improvement over 8.0?

I'm giving this phone to my dad once my new one comes in, I'd like it to run smoothly for him. I've been considering trying to revert to 7, but I don't want to cause more problems.

Jobiensis

We don't know enough information to start a blame game. Really is distasteful for the media to get involved and name names, could force the company to fire him just because of the PR.

We don't know that QA signed off on 8.0.1, or that the 8.0.1 that was released was correct.

Top Bottom