• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
My 4S was having a difficult time with Safari in 8, but 8.0.2 seems to have helped a lot.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Apple should let you put some of those Health Kit charts in the notification area now that you can have widgets up there. Would be cool to see my steps chart there.

Jomjom

Banned
Probably been said already, but 8.0.2 fixed the Wi-Fi issues on my ipad. It never has a slow or non-working connection coming out of sleep now.

Was doing it 100% of the time on 8.0.

GWX

Apple should let you put some of those Health Kit charts in the notification area now that you can have widgets up there. Would be cool to see my steps chart there.

So true! I mean, some stuff you can from third-party apps (like Pedometer++'s widget), but the graphs make so much sense.

Futureman

Can I do anything with HealthKit with the 5C? It was only the 5S that has the motion chip right? I would need to buy something like a FitBit?

Ecto311

Anyone else do the 8.0.1 upgrade download it to their phone but not hit install now the phone is stuck saying it wont do it but i cant move on to .2 - any ideas aside from iTunes?

Vyer

Anyone else do the 8.0.1 upgrade download it to their phone but not hit install now the phone is stuck saying it wont do it but i cant move on to .2 - any ideas aside from iTunes?

Try to delete the .01 update under settings-usage-manage storage

mrkgoo

Can anyone help?

My AppStore updatesnin my iphone show 10 apps needing to be updated and I updated them in iTunes and synced.

But the badge still shows 10, and when I open the AppStore, it flashed the list of ten apps, but they change from update to "open" indicating they are up to date but they stay in the updates available list this retaining the badge.

pxleyes

Banned
Can anyone help?

My AppStore updatesnin my iphone show 10 apps needing to be updated and I updated them in iTunes and synced.

But the badge still shows 10, and when I open the AppStore, it flashed the list of ten apps, but they change from update to "open" indicating they are up to date but they stay in the updates available list this retaining the badge.

restart the device

So I just got the 6 plus, and the usage stats are all wonky. Is that something anyone else is experiencing with ios8? It's not a huge deal, but it's definitely annoying. Here's what I'm talking about.

S07lUdc.jpg

samn

So I just got the 6 plus, and the usage stats are all wonky. Is that something anyone else is experiencing with ios8? It's not a huge deal, but it's definitely annoying. Here's what I'm talking about.
S07lUdc

Can't see the pic, but 'Usage' time ticks down even when the screen is off if an app is active.

Can't see the pic, but 'Usage' time ticks down even when the screen is off if an app is active.

I'll try to fix the picture, not having any luck on my phone, but basically it's showing my call usage as 12+ hours and data usage at 44+ gb. At the time I noticed it I hadn't owned the phone for 12 hours much less talked that much on it.

dork

Banned
Man iOS 8 really messed my battery life up. I updated from iOS6 and it's so much worse. I have a 5. Does 8.0.2 remedy it at all?

Install it fresh. Dont do a backup from the cloud. I had that issue and that helped a ton. Just setup as a new phone

frico

Is Safari really slow at loading pages on wifi for anyone, but, if you switch to LTE it loads the pages really fast? Everything else (twitter, email, fb) work fine on wifi.
Edit - this is on an iPhone 6.

My wife was on iOS 6 until she got her iPhone 6 on launch day.
My dad's on iOS 5 because he "doesn't want to lose his maps"
My brother in law's still on iOS 6 because he knows people who upgraded to iOS 7 who "lost all their stuff"

Ambitious

Can anyone help?

I had the same issue earlier today. I wasn't able to fix it, but strangely it's fine now.

mrkgoo

Can anyone help?

restart the device

Done that. Tried signing in and out.

Reset network settings

I had the same issue earlier today. I wasn't able to fix it, but strangely it's fine now.

I temporarily fixed it.

what appears to be happening is that some list of "updates available" isn't really updating properly after syncing with iTunes.

I loaded a new app that has an update (but only installed the out of date version) via iTunes.

After that installed and I checked the App Store on the iPhone, all the previous "update available" disappeared, replaced with the new app I installed, waiting fro an update.

SO by installing a new out of date app, it seemed to have "kicked" the App Store view into gear. HOWEVER, that NEW app is now stuck, even if I updated it via iTunes.

so Guess I have to wait until the next round of app updates to come in to kick that list off.

Annoying.

mrkgoo

Where you updating from iTunes? are you on 8.0.2?
Incidentally, I did have a weird incident while updating to 8.0.2 (via iTunes) - it downloaded and verified, and moved over to my phone ok, but during the install, and verifying on the phone itself, iTunes appeared to lost track of the connection (not at the part where it restarts, but a little before that, as I saw the bar still moving on the phone itself). a dialogue box popped up and said "iTunes received an inappropriate response from the device". after the phone rebooted, it didn't appear in the iTunes sidebar, whihc was unusal, but everything else seemed to work fine.

Did anything like that happen to you?

if I update from the device, this doesn't happen.

IT's good to know that the issue isn't just with me.

Note that this issue is not the same as the apps being in the "recently updated" list that some people don't like, nor is it exactly just a notification badge just showing the wrong number - it's more that updating via iTunes doesn't correctly update the "updates available" list in the App Store view, despite each app actually being up to date.

YOu can see that when you open the App Store, for a very brief moment, you see the list of apps, and each one has an "update" button, but that swtices to "open" as it finds that the apps are updated already - it just doesn't update the actual list of apps, so the badge stays.

BigDug13

My wife was on iOS 6 until she got her iPhone 6 on launch day.
My dad's on iOS 5 because he "doesn't want to lose his maps"
My brother in law's still on iOS 6 because he knows people who upgraded to iOS 7 who "lost all their stuff"

The google maps app is pretty damned good, probably way more feature rich than the old basic built-in maps. The only thing that sucks is there's no way to launch addresses directly into google maps, so I have to hold, copy, paste into google maps.

As far as speed question for iOS 8. My devices:

iPhone 5
iPad Mini Retina

Any issues with slower speed when upgrading these devices to iOS 8? I don't want another situation where my iPhone 3G became unusable.

DoubleTap

I still have the notification badge on my settings icon even after updating. anyone else have this issue? a fix? tried resetting, powered off, "task killer". nothing worked. the new update might have borked something with the badges seeing as it gets stuck with the other icons as well.

The google maps app is pretty damned good, probably way more feature rich than the old basic built-in maps. The only thing that sucks is there's no way to launch addresses directly into google maps, so I have to hold, copy, paste into google maps.

As far as speed question for iOS 8. My devices:

iPhone 5
iPad Mini Retina

Any issues with slower speed when upgrading these devices to iOS 8? I don't want another situation where my iPhone 3G became unusable.

I had iOS 8 on my iPhone 5 before I got my 6+ and I still have my mini retina. It runs just fine for me generally. Some small hiccups in animation on the retina but that's just bugs not really the hardware struggling.

Ran great on my iPhone 8 just the bugs suck. There's this one home screen bug where pressin it once registers as a double tap. 8.0.2 cleaned it up a bit but it still happens.

Nothing like the situation with my old 3G. Definitely dtarting to see some diminishing returns regarding phone hardware. Lasting much longer than it used to.

mrkgoo

I still have the notification badge on my settings icon even after updating. anyone else have this issue? a fix? tried resetting, powered off, "task killer". nothing worked. the new update might have borked something with the badges seeing as it gets stuck with the other icons as well.

I don't have this issue, but is there still an update file somewhere? like check in Usage, manage storage, and other areas to see and try to delete.

Red Comet

I'm definitely noticing some chugginess from my iPad mini with iOS 8. My 5S is absolutely fine though.

I was already planning on upgrading my iPad this year, but this put me further over the edge and apparently the iPad mini 3 is being pushed back to 2015, so I'll have to go with an Air 2.

Vyer

Camera+ has been updated to support editing from within the Photos app directly. This works amazingly well, and makes a huge difference to dealing with images! I just hope other apps get updated in time.

I'm over the moon at the improvements to the Photos stuff in IOS 8.

Man, I just tried this for the first time because the Afterlight extension was added with the app's latest update. It's a great addition. sogood

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So what's the verdict on non-6 phones? Yes or no?

I'm on 4S, the oldest supporting hardware, and I think it's fine. Maybe some of the animations aren't as perfectly zippy as before, but it's pretty good. I don't regret upgrading.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Install it fresh. Dont do a backup from the cloud. I had that issue and that helped a ton. Just setup as a new phone

I did a fresh install. It's gotten better after I turned off the system services under location data.

Wait.

You skipped iOS 7 altogether??

That's incredible.

Yeah. I was originally waiting for the Jailbreak, but after it was released I figured I'd just wait for 8.

TxdoHawk

Loving the "Hey, Siri" voice activation, aside from the occasional issues reading texts...sometimes I'll ask Siri to read a new text and instead she'll read the last text I sent out. Other than that, great. I love that I can check the time from bed without even opening my eyes.

I've had exactly one false trigger so far, but that was from NPR talking about Syria (kind of hilarious once I realized what did it).

mrkgoo

Decided to do a restore on my iPhone just in case it had some fluff from my update that didn't seem to go 100% smoothly.

Is there any difference between restoring to factory, and then applying the backup when it's in iTunes, or clicking "Restore from backup" option?

I did the former....

when restoring via iTunes, it actually applies the entire firmware update again, doesn't it? (from my save iOS 8.0.2 .ipsw)

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I jumped from iOS6 to 8, so stop me if this has already been discussed when iOS7 came out, but I really dislike how crowded the left side of the status bar looks now. The signal circles take up so much space and I don't see how they are better than bars. Hoping for a jailbreak soon so I can make them smaller and remove the carrier name.

qKfZX9A.jpg

Fliesen

I jumped from iOS6 to 8, so stop me if this has already been discussed when iOS7 came out, but I really dislike how crowded the left side of the status bar looks now. The signal circles take up so much space and I don't see how they are better than bars. Hoping for a jailbreak soon so I can make them smaller and remove the carrier name.

qKfZX9A.jpg

blame your carrier and AM/PM time notation, seriously ;)
(might wanna turn on Bluetooth, just to balance the scale to the right a bit!)

qCuj5c3.png

Vyer

qKfZX9A.jpg

Hey, finally a benefit of being on AT&T I guess. :p

Even with AT&T LTE, the alarm, bluetooth and location icons, mine isn't as crowded as that.

Top Bottom