• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Guess Who

Banned
I thought the resolution of the iPhone 6+ was 1920 x 1080?

The screen is 1920x1080, but because of the silly way iOS does (and doesn't) scale to multiple resolutions, it internally renders at a higher res and downscales. Screenshots come out at the internal resolution, not 1920x1080.

mrkgoo

The screen is 1920x1080, but because of the silly way iOS does (and doesn't) scale to multiple resolutions, it internally renders at a higher res and downscales. Screenshots come out at the internal resolution, not 1920x1080.

Oh wow, weird. And interesting.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
This has probably been mentioned in the past 23 pages, but I can't seem to find these answers and googling the problem just brings up articles about people being confused about the camera roll being replaced.

1) A good chunk of my photos have been deleted since updating to 8. I don't mean that I can't find them, I mean that in my collections folder a lot of the photos just show up as blank squares. If I zoom in then the screen just shows black.

2) What folder does Instagram pull from now? It's showing photos that I have deleted from my local camera as well as my photo stream a long time ago.

Ninja Dom

I don't quite understand. What is the internal resolution? What about iPad screenshots?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't quite understand. What is the internal resolution? What about iPad screenshots?
The 6 Plus is the only iOS device whose internal resolution is higher than/not equal to its display resolution. It works exactly the same way as if you set your Retina MBP to something higher than "Best for Retina". The internal resolution of the Plus is 2208×1242 and is scaled down. 2208×1242 is 3x with a point resolution of 746x414. The 6 has a point resolution of 667x375 at 2x. And the 5 has a point resolution of 568x320 at 2x.

The 6 Plus was made 1080 most likely because it was easier to manufacture than a non-standard 2208x1242 display. Though the iPhones have custom made displays, still, I guess 1080 would also save some power. The higher resolution was just to make it easier to scale. They couldn't do 2x on the Plus because it'd be a point resolution of 960x540 which would make things way too small, and 1080 at 3x would be 640x360 which would make things slightly too big. They chose their resolution wisely to make sure the icons and on-screen elements are the same on all three screen sizes. (Go ahead, compare the home screen of the 5S/C, 6 and 6+. The icons are roughly the same size. As will all other elements in the UI.

Basically it means on the Plus, the pixels won't be as 1:1 as they should be as everything will be scaled down. But it won't really matter to most people since the pixels are too small to really even notice. I run my 15" Retina at 1200p and never notice any problem with crispness in properly coded apps.

Ninja Dom

The Real Abed, nice explanation.

I have the standard 6. 720p capable screen, so 720p videos that I encode can play on the device 1:1, right?

njean777

My battery has gone to complete shit since ios8, on a 5s btw. I reset network settings, and fresh installed. Nothing has fixed it. I have an upgrade available through AT&T but good luck finding any iPhone 6's till supposedly mid October.

Ghazi

Remember that issue with "Other" space being taken up I was complaining about a week ago after doing a factory restore that was 1.3 GB. Yeah, well it's now 6GB, guess I have to do another restore
:(

Setting all my apps up again isn't fun :/

GWX

Remember that issue with "Other" space being taken up I was complaining about a week ago after doing a factory restore that was 1.3 GB. Yeah, well it's now 6GB, guess I have to do another restore

My "other" space is now 1.83GB, and that's on a 16GB 5s. I wish I could get rid of it without restoring =(

Ghazi

My "other" space is now 1.83GB, and that's on a 16GB 5s. I wish I could get rid of it without restoring =(

I'm pretty sure a restore won't really fix it either, I just don't like it being so large :(

What I'll probably end up doing is setting everything up as soon as it's done restoring and make a back up of that, then restoring to the back up every time it grows. Feels like an inherent issue with iOS8, rather than the hardware.

Vyer

So when you do a restore are you restoring from backup or setting up as a new phone?

mrkgoo

People should stop worrying about the "other". IT's stuff like email caches, iCloud photo sharing photos, and stuff like that. a lot of regenerates with time.

Guess it could be an issue if you have a small capacity phone, however, but you can still restore from backup and get rid of it. (as in restore new, and apply a backup).

samn

Probably too many unforeseen security issues with that functionality.

The functionality (opening other apps) is baked into the OS and it's expected that developers use it.

The issue is probably that it's a 3rd party app replicating the system UI, causing confusion. Apple have a specific policy against this. If they made the app icons square it would probably be alright.

Blackhead

Redarse
People should stop worrying about the "other". IT's stuff like email caches, iCloud photo sharing photos, and stuff like that. a lot of regenerates with time.

Guess it could be an issue if you have a small capacity phone, however, but you can still restore from backup and get rid of it. (as in restore new, and apply a backup).

The 'other' is actually saved and restored in the backup. You mean restore new and then setup as new, then sync photos and apps

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The functionality (opening other apps) is baked into the OS and it's expected that developers use it.

The issue is probably that it's a 3rd party app replicating the system UI, causing confusion. Apple have a specific policy against this. If they made the app icons square it would probably be alright.
The widget can open other things than just apps.

People with a lot of "other", try using Phoneclean to clean up some stuff.

Ghazi

I just finished my factory restore on my iPhone 5S, and I start with 1GB of Other space, even before I've signed in with my Apple ID. Not to mention, as time went on my Other space grew larger and larger.

It's annoying.

Ashhong

Is there a fix to this agonizingly slow wifi? I had it on both my iPhone 5 and 6, and the 6 is set up as a new phone. Also tried network reset. Only thing I haven't done is update to 8.0.2, will that fix it?

Somnid

I really hope their priority for iOS9 is to completely overhaul the settings app. The thing is an absolute clusterfuck.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I tried Launcher for an hour and discovered that I hated it and would never use it anyway. I have all my apps on one home screen anyway and don't need an alternate way of opening apps. But I can see why people really liked it.

I tried Launcher for an hour and discovered that I hated it and would never use it anyway. I have all my apps on one home screen anyway and don't need an alternate way of opening apps. But I can see why people really liked it.

I didn't care much for Launcher, but I was really looking forward to the Launch Center Pro widget. Hopefully Apple changes their mind or finds a way to resolve whatever security concerns this might cause. (Remember you can see the Today page from the lock screen without inputting a password, I can see a scenario where one could bypass the passcode and get into the phone from a launcher app)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I didn't care much for Launcher, but I was really looking forward to the Launch Center Pro widget. Hopefully Apple changes their mind or finds a way to resolve whatever security concerns this might cause. (Remember you can see the Today page from the lock screen without inputting a password, I can see a scenario where one could bypass the passcode and get into the phone from a launcher app)
Yeah. Hopefully it's just a matter of putting in some more security APIs and changing the terms of how apps like this should work. Apple needs to work with these devs. Not against them. This is why people go back to Android.

LosDaddie

Banned
My wife has an iPhone 5S and she's been complaining about her battery dying quickly after updating. Is this common?

Of course, I've already turned off all the background stuff that normally is the cause. So I'm kinda at loss here.

Any suggestions?

Roo

8.02 did not fix my wifi issues. The only way I get decent wifi is to turn off network settings. I can browse the web at home faster on LTE than on wifi.
Ugh. I'm having the same problem.
I thought 8.0.2 would fix this this.
I guess there's no point to update if Wi-Fi is still useless.

Ghazi

Oof, Touch ID doesn't work for me on iOS 8.0.2 after my restore. I never realized how awesome it was until I lost it.

njean777

My wife has an iPhone 5S and she's been complaining about her battery dying quickly after updating. Is this common?

Of course, I've already turned off all the background stuff that normally is the cause. So I'm kinda at loss here.

Any suggestions?

My battery went to shit also. I have a 5s and am lucky if I get 5 hours on my battery now. I clean installed the OS, and reset network settings. Nothing has fixed this problem for me either.

Sid

I'm getting this weird issue with iOS 8 where a folder with 26 items is taking a few seconds longer to open compared to the one with only 4 items in it,this did not happen on iOS 7.1.2

Mindwipe

"Security concerns" mega lol. Apple are just pissy with Launcher because it works nicely with third party apps, and they've decided to compete with Google Maps by restricting access rather than having good services.

Blackhead

Redarse
@LauncherIOS
Here is our official statement on Launcher being removed from the App Store. Hopefully it answers all questions.

http://al.cromulentlabs.com/thanks/

Dear users,

I regret to inform you that my app, Launcher - Favorites at your Fingertips, is no longer available on the App Store. Apple contacted me on September 23, 2014 and told me that they have decided to disallow any Notification Center widget that lets you launch other apps. Their only reason was that it is a 'misuse' of widgets, even though there are no written rules to this effect and the app was originally approved by them.

Apple told me I could release an update without the Notification Center widget or they will take the app off of the App Store in 'a number of days'. I submitted a fix for the app which I thought to be a valid compromise where every click on the widget always goes back to the Launcher app first which then redirects you to your target app. This was submitted on Friday, September 26 and within an hour, Apple rejected the fix and then took Launcher down from the App Store...

quesalupa

Any suggestions?
My battery is fricken dying while it's plugged in...

Top Bottom