• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

matt360

Quick question because I feel like I'm missing something big. Why are people so quick to recommend that people set up a phone as new? Doesn't that delete pretty much everything? Game saves being the thing I'm most afraid to lose.

I've heard people say that a backup can be corrupt and to ensure good battery life on your new phone you should always set up as new. Is that true? Is there a way to do that but still pick and choose certain games and data from your old backup?

Enco

Quick question because I feel like I'm missing something big. Why are people so quick to recommend that people set up a phone as new? Doesn't that delete pretty much everything? Game saves being the thing I'm most afraid to lose.

I've heard people say that a backup can be corrupt and to ensure good battery life on your new phone you should always set up as new. Is that true? Is there a way to do that but still pick and choose certain games and data from your old backup?
People like to start fresh in the hopes that their device runs faster without all the 'baggage'.

I've never done it because it's a huge nuisance. Especially if you use a lot of apps that require setting up. I would never start from fresh. Don't have the time or patience for it.

Don't feel like I've suffered.

matt360

People like to start fresh in the hopes that their device runs faster without all the 'baggage'.

I've never done it because it's a huge nuisance. Especially if you use a lot of apps that require setting up. I would never start from fresh. Don't have the time or patience for it.

Yeah, it does seem like it'd be a huge hassle. Although, my iPhone 5's battery was absolute shit for the entire 2 years I had it. I even exchanged the phone three times and had the battery replaced once and absolutely none of that helped. I did try setting it up as new once and that didn't work either. It was weird because my iPhone 4's battery was amazing. I could game on that thing all day with no trouble.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Same, I haven't set up my main phone (now a 5S, soon a 6) as new since the 3GS.
(aside from the current wifi issue on the 5S it's flawless still IMO).

mrkgoo

The 'other' is actually saved and restored in the backup. You mean restore new and then setup as new, then sync photos and apps

Some of it is. Not all. Whenever I restore and setup new and restore from backup (but not directly "restore from a backup", which I assume reapplied a backup in place ), I always regain significant space, some it from "other".

dLMN8R

I don't think you need to set up a phone as new. I have good luck getting better performance by simply resetting to factory settings then restoring a full backup.

Ashhong

This slow wifi is really pissing me off. I'm constantly having to use my data instead. It's only slow on my home wifi so there must be some kind of setting I can change to fix this. Or apple needs to fix it.

Some of it is. Not all. Whenever I restore and setup new and restore from backup (but not directly "restore from a backup", which I assume reapplied a backup in place ), I always regain significant space, some it from "other".

I don't understand, did you restore from a backup or not? If you restore from a backup your settings, apps, all data is put back on. I have never regained space after restoring from backup.

Vyer

I like a fresh install myself on most things, and I keep backups of my videos and photos both locally and on cloud services. iCloud restores contacts regardless through the Apple ID. So really I don't have much reason not to. I really don't mind setting up apps, as I also use the time to switch them out, try something new, cull what I don't need anymore, etc.

Also, iirc, it's been fixed a while back but there was a bug in older versions of iOS dealing with the messages cache that would lead to extra space being used. People would carry it over from backup to backup.

That said, the iCloud restore function is great so it's easier to go that route. Still, I've been working with computers enough to know a good restart/restore/cleanup can be really helpful from time to time so I tend to carry that attitude over to most of my tech. More a ymmv sort of thing.

Marco1

My iphone 6 runs fine but the two ipads in our house have really shitty wi-fi and safari keeps going to a white screen with two tabs open.

Is anyone else not getting their battery usage by app to show up? I restored my new 6 plus from my old 5 and it keeps saying "battery information will be available after using iPhone for a few minutes" but nothing ever shows up. I've already restored the phone again but no joy. Any ideas?

matt360

I like a fresh install myself on most things, and I keep backups of my videos and photos both locally and on cloud services. iCloud restores contacts regardless through the Apple ID. So really I don't have much reason not to. I really don't mind setting up apps, as I also use the time to switch them out, try something new, cull what I don't need anymore, etc.

Also, iirc, it's been fixed a while back but there was a bug in older versions of iOS dealing with the messages cache that would lead to extra space being used. People would carry it over from backup to backup.

That said, the iCloud restore function is great so it's easier to go that route. Still, I've been working with computers enough to know a good restart/restore/cleanup can be really helpful from time to time so I tend to carry that attitude over to most of my tech. More a ymmv sort of thing.

What do you do with your game saves?

frico

I found a temporary work around to the slow wifi on iOS 8. I turn off cellular data while at home and then safari doesn't choke on loading webpages. It's annoying but it works for me so far (1 day).

1Password, even with the settings changed to ask for my master password every thirty days, still asks me for my password and not Touch ID every time. Sigh...

Safari still forgets the order of my share and extension items, and I still get logged out of neogaf about once a day, and always after a system reboot. Reminders at least sync 100% of the time now.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Anyone else having issues with thread specific DnD not working all the time?

1Password, even with the settings changed to ask for my master password every thirty days, still asks me for my password and not Touch ID every time. Sigh...

Safari still forgets the order of my share and extension items, and I still get logged out of neogaf about once a day, and always after a system reboot. Reminders at least sync 100% of the time now.

1Password has been driving me crazy for the past week. So much so, I just went ahead and switched back to LastPass. Works much better. If I had known LastPass would be updating to support extensions, I wouldn't have bothered with 1Password in the first place, but their app was really bad before the update so I didn't think they would be ready for iOS 8 so soon. I hate that I bought the 1Password app for $10 right before it went freemium.

I was having the same issue where 1Password didn't honor my settings for the master password. I was also having an issue where it just completely stopped saving any changes to ANYTHING. Can't update info in my notes, logins, etc. just reverts back every time. Searched around online, and it may have had something to do with Dropbox sync, since it popped up an error for it a few days ago. I've followed all of these convoluted steps to fix that, and hours later, nothing has worked.

Sorry if I sound irritated, but iOS 8 has been very frustrating for me across the board.

fse

Anyone downgrade their iPhone 5 because of battery issues? Is it me or is iOS8 making my 5 drain faster.

1Password has been driving me crazy for the past week. So much so, I just went ahead and switched back to LastPass. Works much better. If I had known LastPass would be updating to support extensions, I wouldn't have bothered with 1Password in the first place, but their app was really bad before the update so I didn't think they would be ready for iOS 8 so soon. I hate that I bought the 1Password app for $10 right before it went freemium.

I was having the same issue where 1Password didn't honor my settings for the master password. I was also having an issue where it just completely stopped saving any changes to ANYTHING. Can't update info in my notes, logins, etc. just reverts back every time. Searched around online, and it may have had something to do with Dropbox sync, since it popped up an error for it a few days ago. I've followed all of these convoluted steps to fix that, and hours later, nothing has worked.

Sorry if I sound irritated, but iOS 8 has been very frustrating for me across the board.

At best it honors my Touch ID and master password settings for like 2 days, and then reverts to asking me for my password every time. I really hope they fix it soon.

Vyer

I'm noticing network activity continuing in Safari even after the webpage has loaded. You have to kick it out of memory and bring it back up for it to stop. Not sure if this is a mobile GAF thing or not as that's primarily where I'm noticing it.

Ios8 is so fucking buggy. Quick reply doesn't work over half the time, third party keyboards are broken, and sometimes apps hard lock up requiring me to click into the home screen then back into the app.

That and the most important fitness app to me (fitbit) still hasn't released the health update. Ugh.

mrkgoo

This slow wifi is really pissing me off. I'm constantly having to use my data instead. It's only slow on my home wifi so there must be some kind of setting I can change to fix this. Or apple needs to fix it.

I don't understand, did you restore from a backup or not? If you restore from a backup your settings, apps, all data is put back on. I have never regained space after restoring from backup.

I restored my iPhone as new, and when it remounted it asks if you want to set up as new or restore from backup, I restore from backup and regained about 4GB of space, 2gb was reused once I downloaded my shared iCloud photos (it only holds thumbnails otherwise), but I'm still sitting at around 2 GB free.

I use pop email on one account so restpring clears that up. Magazines are deleted, and any app data that is stored as "cache" files aren't actually in the backup. Other one scan include stuff like walking dead episodes. In my case though I already had most of those deleted.

But generally speaking I do see some regaining of space after an iPhone restore.

Vyer

Hmm, I haven't seen any kind of app freezing or anything like that. So far I've had/have a iPhone 5, iPhone 5s and iPad Air that have all been updated with 8.

Try updating the firmware on + cycling your router

Flunkie

Banned
My battery went to shit also. I have a 5s and am lucky if I get 5 hours on my battery now. I clean installed the OS, and reset network settings. Nothing has fixed this problem for me either.

Same. I think this is a ploy to get people to upgrade to the new phones. Thankfully I have a Mophie, but I can no longer get through the entire day with heavy use anymore.

Ashhong

I restored my iPhone as new, and when it remounted it asks if you want to set up as new or restore from backup, I restore from backup and regained about 4GB of space, 2gb was reused once I downloaded my shared iCloud photos (it only holds thumbnails otherwise), but I'm still sitting at around 2 GB free.

I use pop email on one account so restpring clears that up. Magazines are deleted, and any app data that is stored as "cache" files aren't actually in the backup. Other one scan include stuff like walking dead episodes. In my case though I already had most of those deleted.

But generally speaking I do see some regaining of space after an iPhone restore.

If you pressed restore from backup, then what was the point of restoring from new? I dont know, every time I have restored my phone from a backup (most recently when my iPhone5 ran into an error when upgrading to ios8) I had all my apps, settings, emails, etc back on. The apps had their data as well, like messages, passwords, etc etc. I actually had 6gb of "other" before and after the iOS8 update. Was pretty annoying.

Hmm, I haven't seen any kind of app freezing or anything like that. So far I've had/have a iPhone 5, iPhone 5s and iPad Air that have all been updated with 8.

Try updating the firmware on + cycling your router

Done many cycles already. I'll try a firmware I guess.

mrkgoo

If you pressed restore from backup, then what was the point of restoring from new? I dont know, every time I have restored my phone from a backup (most recently when my iPhone5 ran into an error when upgrading to ios8) I had all my apps, settings, emails, etc back on. The apps had their data as well, like messages, passwords, etc etc. I actually had 6gb of "other" before and after the iOS8 update. Was pretty annoying.

Done many cycles already. I'll try a firmware I guess.

My understanding is that there actually used to be two different types of restore (from backup), one which only apples your settings and stuff again (don't need to resync synced data) and another that clean wipes and reinstalls your backup, but you need to resync your synced data.

These days they may have removed the former one. Maybe I'm just crazy. I just remember that doing them different ways, the former didn't clear the other and the clean wipe did.

Anyway, I'm just saying that I just typically do the clean restore and apply a backup on setup. It clears out stuff on my iOS devices whenever I do that. I know a lot of it is cache files and cached data.

For example emails aren't downloaded again but just have the subject and headers (until you open that mail box). My pop email account has everything cleared from it (since my Mac is set to remove the email from the server), and stuff like that.

HUELEN10

Dear iOS Keyboard Devs:

For the love of God, include the stock Keyboard click and/or haptic feedback!

Some of us cannot type at all without keyboard clicks (and make it the stock one too, none of that volume-dependent shit), and after writing over 17 emails to various keyboard Devs requesting the feature on their decent yet silent keyboards, I am saddened that it's been overlooked.

I've used iOS since 2007, and I've tried and failed to type without audio feedback.

HUELEN10

Keyboard clicks are one of the first things that I turn off. Irritates me no end!
Good for you.

For those that don't need them; they can be quickly disabled, so there really is no reason at all not to include then.

My best friend laughs at me when he hands me his iPhone or iPad to pull stuff up, because I start typing; but I fail miserably until I temporarily re-enable clicks. I'm like a kitten trying to stand up straight on slippery ice; at least that is what it feels like to me.

Blackhead

Redarse
Dear iOS Keyboard Devs:

For the love of God, include the stock Keyboard click and/or haptic feedback!

Some of us cannot type at all without keyboard clicks (and make it the stock one too, none of that volume-dependent shit), and after writing over 17 emails to various keyboard Devs requesting the feature on their decent yet silent keyboards, I am saddened that it's been overlooked.

I've used iOS since 2007, and I've tried and failed to type without audio feedback.

I don't think Apple would allow developers to use their stock keyboard sounds. Someone would probably complain that it's confusing for customers...

Sidenote: are you still peck typing?! swiping keyboards don't really need sound feedback. Haptic feedback would be cool though.

Keyboard clicks are one of the first things that I turn off. Irritates me no end!

me two

HUELEN10

I don't think Apple would allow developers to use their stock keyboard sounds. Someone would probably complain that it's confusing for customers...

Sidenote: are you still peck typing?!
What do you mean by peck typing?

Anywho, Apple has no restrictions on using the keyboard click default sound for 3rd party keyboards, or other apps for that matter; this is a matter of just this many Devs forgetting/not caring about it.

Mindwipe

What do you mean by peck typing?

Anywho, Apple has no restrictions on using the keyboard click default sound for 3rd party keyboards, or other apps for that matter; this is a matter of just this many Devs forgetting/not caring about it.

I doubt that they don't care, but third party keyboards are under such ludicrous memory constraints that there probably isn't any room for sounds.

Top Bottom