• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

anybody seen the issue where you can't accept the terms and conditions when going 8.0.2 OTA? you can press agree and disagree but they don't do anything.

Majine

Banned
One thing I miss on mobile OSes (I dunno about Android) is cycling wallpapers. On my Mac I have a wallpaper folder with like 300-400 pictures cycling always.

I'm using an iPhone 4S and I can't update from 8.0.0 to 8.0.2. When I agree to the terms and conditions on my phone, nothing happens. I tried doing it again by using iTunes on my computer to update it, but it soon says that the download timed out. I'm kinda stuck here.

Nicktendo86

One thing I miss on mobile OSes (I dunno about Android) is cycling wallpapers. On my Mac I have a wallpaper folder with like 300-400 pictures cycling always.
There are third party live wallpaper apps that do that on android, yes.

What are the reasons for the memory restrictions on third party keyboards?

Would everyone recommend my wife update her 5 from 7 to 8.0.2, or is it not worth it?

EekTheKat

My wifi finally kind of stabilized - after upgrading to iOS8 on an iPhone 5s and Mini Retina I saw wifi slowdown and pausing.

All it took was a DFU backup and restore on both devices, and roll back my router's firmware (RT-N66U) to a previous version - latest one seems kind of bad for wifi.

I'm still seeing keyboard related glitches though, sometimes the keyboard would not pop up in Safari until I trigger it in a different app.

SmokyDave

I am sick of my fucking browser locking up and wiping out what I'm writing. This is the first time I've deeply regretted updating my phone.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Count me in as someone who likes having the keyboard clicks sometimes. I don't require them, but sometimes I like the feedback.

Also, I tried swipe typing. I didn't care as much for it as I would have thought. I went right back to peck typing as you call it and am so much faster. It didn't help that the keyboard kept resetting itself and defaulting back to the normal one anyway.

I'll just get a 6 or 6+ and use the portrait keyboard happily. (I already find myself not even wanting to bother putting my 5C in landscape and end up typing in portrait all the time anyway.)

Is anyone else getting itunes crashes since they've upgraded to iOS8? Unfortunately MediaMonkey hasn't been updated to work with iOS8 so I'm stuck with iTunes to put my music on my phone, but iTunes crashes without fail each time it detects my iPhone or I plug it in.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Not me. But ever since iOS 8 and the latest iTunes beta, I can't sync over WiFi anymore and I don't know which one to blame. Before it would be flakey and work most of the time. Now it just does not show my device in iTunes anymore. At all.

MercuryLS

Banned
So I'm getting a 5S soon and will want to update to iOS 8, is it safe to do? There are a lot of stories here of increased battery drain which is worrying.

Which iOS release will allow for standard texts to be pushed to the Mac and iPad? The way I can answer calls when using my iPad and my phone is elsewhere in the home is really great.

Furyous

Which iOS release will allow for standard texts to be pushed to the Mac and iPad? The way I can answer calls when using my iPad and my phone is elsewhere in the home is really great.

Isn't it possible do iPhone to iPad with continuity? We're all waiting on Yosemite to enable this feature on the desktop. Tecnically you can answer calls on your iPad already if you have Skype and Textplus. <--- That's my knowledge dart for the day.

Is there any chance that moves gets updated for iOS 8 with health kit integration? What about fitbit receiving an update that enables Healthkit integration?

Phone calls already work with Yosemite but we'll have to wait for another iOS update to do text messaging.

So far I can't see any upgrades with 8.1 but I guess I should be happy it didn't blow up my phone given the way recent updates have gone.

Vast majority of the most popular ones haven't updated yet which is surprising

Instagram and facebook haven't updated by now even, they've had the resolution for the 6 plus for WEEKS

Facebook Messenger and Hyperlapse have been updated for the new resolutions so I imagine that Instagram and Facebook will see updates soon as well.

Already 8.1? That's fast. Wasn't 7.1 like months after?

first 7.1 beta was in Nov 2013, and was released in March this year.

There was a story today mentioning current internal testing of 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3.

I would guess that each major new feature gets a 8.x release, so Apple Pay with 8.1, apple watch integration with 8.2 etc.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Already 8.1? That's fast. Wasn't 7.1 like months after?
Apple seem to have changed their Dev cycle for iOS 8. 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 are in testing already (8.1 even before 8.0 was out) which is drastically faster than before.

Which may indicate we'll get more point releases in total before 9.0 or 9.0 won't necessarily be tied to the next hardware release or none of the above.

One thing is for sure though they're changing things.

ramyeon

This morning I've started getting prompts to log into iCloud every so often when using Safari on my phone. If I cancel then it keeps popping up every few seconds. Anyone else get this?

Kemal86

This morning I've started getting prompts to log into iCloud every so often when using Safari on my phone. If I cancel then it keeps popping up every few seconds. Anyone else get this?

Yes, and it's driving me fucking crazy. Trying to outline an essay I'm gonna have to write for a midterm on Wednesday and the fucking icloud sign in window is popping up every few seconds.

Iacobellis

first 7.1 beta was in Nov 2013, and was released in March this year.

There was a story today mentioning current internal testing of 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3.

I would guess that each major new feature gets a 8.x release, so Apple Pay with 8.1, apple watch integration with 8.2 etc.

Apple seem to have changed their Dev cycle for iOS 8. 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 are in testing already (8.1 even before 8.0 was out) which is drastically faster than before.

Which may indicate we'll get more point releases in total before 9.0 or 9.0 won't necessarily be tied to the next hardware release or none of the above.

One thing is for sure though they're changing things.

There is speculation that iOS will be at 8 from now on similar to 10 with OS X. But that doesn't make much sense and would just confuse the consumer.

Top Bottom