• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

yup.

the Pay stuff and watch compatibility will likely be big enough to justify .X releases each.

I still expect iOS 9 and 10, etc for a while yet.

I can't think of anything that Apple could change to the OS that would warrant a new naming scheme like what happened with OS X. If anything iOS 7 was their chance to do that if they wanted to.

Majine

Banned
God, I hate that Facebook doesn't say what their updates include in the App store and instead display a generic "We do our very best!" Message. Fuck off.

Ninja Dom

yup.

the Pay stuff and watch compatibility will likely be big enough to justify .X releases each.

I still expect iOS 9 and 10, etc for a while yet.

Just think of the naming when it comes to iOS 10.

Will it be iOS X? Then we'll have Mac OS X and iOS X together.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
So what the fuck is the mythical "Other" ? A year and a half of owning the phone, mine was at 9GB. After one week of a clean install of iOS8 I'm at 2.75 Gigs of it.

8.1 apple pay settings:

2014-09-29-21_22_26-hamza-sood-on-twitter_-_apple-pay-settings-and-privacy-http___t-co_n9m87xitny_.jpg

Also, new iPads with touchid can use in-app Apple Pay:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/29/apple...d-references-appear-in-modified-ios-8-1-beta/

Link

The Autumn Wind
Can I assume that as a Credit Union member, Apple Pay is going to be pretty much useless to me?

Just a heads up, but the current 8.1 Beta (and theoretically the final release) kills all non-jailbroken emulators like GBA4iOS 2.0, and SiOS (SNES Emulator), due to the "Date Trick" not working on it.

It's a huge bummer, since I've been playing a lot of GBA on my 4S recently, but don't see myself jailbreaking to get it back.

I guess a similar thing happened in the 7.1 beta, and that turned out to just be a bug, so there may still be hope.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So what the fuck is the mythical "Other" ? A year and a half of owning the phone, mine was at 9GB. After one week of a clean install of iOS8 I'm at 2.75 Gigs of it.
Cached files, images etc from apps. Saves, temp files etc. crash logs. You name it.

Try using PhoneClean (a pc / Mac app) to scan your phone and clean out some stuff. I'd be selective about what you delete though, and the app allows that.

Ninja Dom

Also it contains your Emails and iMessages, these are filed there too.

On your phone you can see how much space your Messages are taking up.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Also it contains your Emails and iMessages, these are filed there too.

On your phone you can see how much space your Messages are taking up.
Yep, iOS 8 now also allows selective auto deletion time frames of messages which is great.

On the subject of "other", I had 1.75Gb worth of it... belonging to caches for Flipboard, a visual RSS app. Caught me by surprise at first.

Ninja Dom

Yep, iOS 8 now also allows selective auto deletion time frames of messages which is great.

On the subject of "other", I had 1.75Gb worth of it... belonging to caches for Flipboard, a visual RSS app. Caught me by surprise at first.

iMessage is massively important to me, it's my most used chat/text app. iMessage and WhatsApp (simply for the non-iPhone owning pals I have).

On my iPad, my messages take up 5.1Gb.

dock

Upgraded to ios 8.02
Health App still doesn't show any pedometer data. Is there something I need to do to make the Health app do anything?

Vyer

Upgraded to ios 8.02
Health App still doesn't show any pedometer data. Is there something I need to do to make the Health app do anything?

Yes. In app, health data-All-Steps-show on Dashboard.

Edit:
I just realized they added a toggle to use the iCloud Photo Library beta. Was that in the initial release of 8 or did it come with 8.0.2?

I guess I could go ahead and try it out, though I wonder how it will change when 8.1 is released.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The GM of iOS 8 had the iPhoto Cloud Library option. But it doesn't work as well without OS X also having that option. I don't suppose the Yosemite PB4 adds it in yet. I know it's meant more for the upcoming Photos app, but an interim option in iPhoto would be nice. I could clear 2GB off my phone. (Yeah, my library is tiny in comparison to some peoples I've seen.)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yes. In app, health data-All-Steps-show on Dashboard.

Edit:
I just realized they added a toggle to use the iCloud Photo Library beta. Was that in the initial release of 8 or did it come with 8.0.2?

I guess I could go ahead and try it out, though I wonder how it will change when 8.1 is released.

The GM of iOS 8 had the iPhoto Cloud Library option. But it doesn't work as well without OS X also having that option. I don't suppose the Yosemite PB4 adds it in yet. I know it's meant more for the upcoming Photos app, but an interim option in iPhoto would be nice. I could clear 2GB off my phone. (Yeah, my library is tiny in comparison to some peoples I've seen.)

As far as I understand, the GM only had the iCloud Photo Library if you updated from a beta build, it was a legacy option that wasn't properly removed in the upgrade. It was not part of the GM build if you installed that fresh or updated from iOS 7.

FYI: iCloud Photo Library beta will not download photos and videos that were synced to your device from iTunes. Any photos and videos synced to your device from iTunes will be removed when you enable iCloud Photo Library beta.
Known Issue: If iCloud Photo Library beta is enabled, Settings -> iCloud -> Photos may crash.

Has anyone else used the Pinterest extension in Safari? The other night I pinned about 8-10 things from Safari but when I go to the Pinterest app, only 2 of them show up on my board. The crazy part is, I can see some of the new pins in the preview pane before I tap on the board. Also, the number of pins in the board increased by the correct amount. I even went to Pinterest.com to make sure it wasn't the app malfunctioning, but the same thing happens on the website. Anyone else having similar problems?

AndTAR

Anyone else noticing the 8.1 Beta apparently doing better memory handling? I have not actually done precise measurements, but over a day's use with the same apps set up, it seemed like apps persist noticeably longer in the background, and Safari unloads web content less often. (On an iPad Air that is.)

TimFL

As far as I understand, the GM only had the iCloud Photo Library if you updated from a beta build, it was a legacy option that wasn't properly removed in the upgrade. It was not part of the GM build if you installed that fresh or updated from iOS 7.

They added the iCloud Photo Library Beta with iOS 8.0.2
I have it enabled on my iPhone 6.

flyover

Anyone else noticing the 8.1 Beta apparently doing better memory handling? I have not actually done precise measurements, but over a day's use with the same apps set up, it seemed like apps persist noticeably longer in the background, and Safari unloads web content less often. (On an iPad Air that is.)

With 8.0 (betas and final release), Safari was crapping out on my 5th gen iPod Touch on about 1/4 of all web pages. It happened on about 1/2 of all pages on Mobile GAF (even with YouTube and GIFs disabled). It had become pretty much unusable for web browsing.

After installing 8.1 last night, didn't happen once. Can barely wait to put it on my iPhone, but I will, since I never put betas on it.

With 8.0 (betas and final release), Safari was crapping out on my 5th gen iPod Touch on about 1/4 of all web pages. It happened on about 1/2 of all pages on Mobile GAF (even with YouTube and GIFs disabled). It had become pretty much unusable for web browsing.

After installing 8.1 last night, didn't happen once. Can barely wait to put it on my iPhone, but I will, since I never put betas on it.

Damn, they need to release 8.1 soon to the public, 8.0 is a mess

SuperPac

Aaaaand it's got a bug cutting off text on my iphone 6. I need to reduce text size to see the full tweet.

These new resolutions are messing up developers. Still lots of apps with the old iPhone 5 res

In part I'm sure because review times are currently slow-ish. Average is 10 days, though I'm sure Apple would help expedite some of the apps with bigger followings. :D

Clipse

Anyone else's battery usage keep showing as blank? I get the message, "Usage times will be shown after iPhone is fully charged."

Had the same problem yesterday and it fixed itself after a full charge, but now it's back again.

Anyone else's battery usage keep showing as blank? I get the message, "Usage times will be shown after iPhone is fully charged."

Had the same problem yesterday and it fixed itself after a full charge, but now it's back again.

Had it happen to me once randomly on my 6 Plus last week. Hasn't been a problem since though.

Jonm1010

Banned
Ok so why is it that after how ever many years Apple still does not have a "select all" "delete" feature for emails?

I just messed with my co-workers new phone and am blown away such a basic feature is not available.

Blackhead

Redarse
‘It Just Works’ via ★DaringFireball
John Gruber said:
Russell Ivanovic said:
Tim Cook keeps telling us that “Only Apple” could do the amazing things it does. I just wish that Apple would slow down their breakneck pace and spend the time required to build stable software that their hardware so desperately needs. The yearly release cycles of OS X, iOS, iPhone & iPad are resulting in too many things seeing the light of day that aren’t finished yet. Perhaps the world wouldn’t let them, perhaps the expectations are now too high, but I’d kill for Snow iOS 8 and Snow Yosemite next year. I’m fairly confident I’m not alone in that feeling.

From the outside, it seems like Apple’s software teams can’t keep up with the pace of the hardware teams. Major new versions of iOS aren’t released “when they’re ready”, they’re released when the new iPhone hardware ships. On Twitter the other day, I suggested that perhaps Apple should decouple major iOS feature releases from the iPhone hardware schedule. That’s probably untenable from a marketing perspective, and it might just make things more complex from a QA perspective. But something has to give.

(Just today: My iPhone 6 rebooted after I changed the home screen wallpaper. Tapped a new image in the wallpaper settings, and poof, it rebooted. Worse, it never stopped rebooting. Endless reboot cycle. Now I’m doing a full restore with iTunes. After changing my wallpaper to a different image.)

worse than Touchwiz?

:p

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Copy and paste from the iPhone 6 thread:

Ok, my question has to do with the 5S but it involves the 6.

I'm pretty sure I have some form of malware or spyware on my 5S that I got from someone I know. Long story but found out he's a scumbag. I've been reading online that nonjailbroken iPhones are very hard to get into and tried numerous methods to find the spyware or malware. However even with those methods some online were mentioning that it could be very hard to find.

Any options or apps I can check out? I want to take it to Sprint but can't due to a foot injury.

EDIT: I've also heard about rebooting my iPhone but I want to see if there is a way if can find out this fucker did it specifically.

Soybean

Aaaaand it's got a bug cutting off text on my iphone 6. I need to reduce text size to see the full tweet.

These new resolutions are messing up developers. Still lots of apps with the old iPhone 5 res
Yeah, this is a terrible bug. Still better than scaling the app, but I'd prefer one notch higher in font size.

And still no new version for iPad. :(

Yeah, that drives me mad. It's one of the main reasons I've gone back to using the official app more. I like a consistent experience, plus Twitter has been adding a lot of features that they don't seem to want to make available to third-party apps.

LCfiner

Yeah, this is a terrible bug. Still better than scaling the app, but I'd prefer one notch higher in font size.

quick update, I don’t know 100% what triggered it but it’s not cutting off new tweets for me.

seems all new tweets coming in are not getting cut off. May have just been a bug with tweets that had already been loaded.

I had swiped over a few tweets to see replies and then went back to the timeline and that would fix an individual tweet’s display. Also adjusted text to be larger than system size and then scrolled up my timeline a bit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Shouldn't it still work as long as your credit cards are Visa/Amex/MasterCard?
Yeah... I'm a credit union user as we'll and my understanding was as long as you've got the visa/mc logo you're good to go.

Top Bottom