• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

sangreal

Yeah... I'm a credit union user as we'll and my understanding was as long as you've got the visa/mc logo you're good to go.

I'm fairly certain it requires the card issuer to have an agreement with apple, since they're the ones paying Apple. That's why they've listed out the participating banks

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fairly certain it requires the card issuer to have an agreement with apple, since they're the ones paying Apple. That's why they've listed out the participating banks

I'll have to look into it, but my understanding was that it works on all credit/debit cards with the Visa/MC logo, but will charge them as credit. Like when you use a debit card at a restaurant. I thought bank partnership with Apple allowed for using your Debit card like an ATM card drawing straight from your account. Rather than running it through a credit service.

I don't know wear I got that intepretation from but thats been my understanding.

Crazy Question.

Has anyone noticed increased Data Usage numbers from their carrier since upgraded to 8.0.2?

I have noticed a spike of nearly 100mb+ a day on both my profile and my mother's profile since upgrading. I was a little surprised to see the text that we were near our limit just before the end of the month.

It's a new month now so I'm going to activate cellular data again and see what happens. It was a little concerning and the spike seemed to start right after 8.0.2 was installed.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/how-to/ios-8-high-data-usage-iphone-fixes/

At least I'm not the only one who has noticed a high data usage problem on iOS 8.

Maybe people should take a look at this.

The thing is, I already have cellular data turned off for iCloud and I'm still seeing much higher numbers for usage.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The credit/debit thing in the US is really confusing to me as a Brit. Over here the majority of people who pay by cards pay using debit cards, money straight from your bank account, done. It seems like most people in the US pay for stuff using credit cards? So you'd have to pay the balance at the end of the month and so on rather than just using the money you have. Is that right? Is there a reason for doing it that way? I guess if there's a lot of identity theft over there then it's protecting your money a little better, plus rewards etc?

I'm wondering if Apple Pay in the UK will be more like what we're accustomed to - the money just comes out of your account like with normal debit card transactions. Would be annoying if it's credit cards only.

dkeane

The credit/debit thing in the US is really confusing to me as a Brit. Over here the majority of people who pay by cards pay using debit cards, money straight from your bank account, done. It seems like most people in the US pay for stuff using credit cards? So you'd have to pay the balance at the end of the month and so on rather than just using the money you have. Is that right? Is there a reason for doing it that way? I guess if there's a lot of identity theft over there then it's protecting your money a little better, plus rewards etc?

It's mostly about the rewards you can get by using a credit card. I use my debit as a back-up.

Mindwipe

I'm wondering if Apple Pay in the UK will be more like what we're accustomed to - the money just comes out of your account like with normal debit card transactions. Would be annoying if it's credit cards only.

I am not convinced Apple Pay will launch outside of the US. If it does it's going to have to be radically different, it's just entirely based around US payment norms that are so specific to that country.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I am not convinced Apple Pay will launch outside of the US. If it does it's going to have to be radically different, it's just entirely based around US payment norms that are so specific to that country.

I'd imagine some of the global merchants mentioned to support it like McDonalds and others, who already do NFC payments in Europe, will support it. Credit/Debit won't really matter on a merchant's end they're usually treated like one and the same.

DMczaf

Is it a good idea to do a complete clean restore every year or so (that is, not restoring from a backup)? Apple Store Genius Guys (yeah, I know) have told me this a couple of times during appointments, but I never thought twice of it. The reasoning I was told was to " sort out some software glitches" that could occur over time.

Is it a good idea to do a complete clean restore every year or so (that is, not restoring from a backup)? Apple Store Genius Guys (yeah, I know) have told me this a couple of times during appointments, but I never thought twice of it. The reasoning I was told was to " sort out some software glitches" that could occur over time.

You should have responded : " oh you mean like Windows?"

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is anyone else having trouble using LastPass? There's supposed to be some sort of extension for safari that allows it to enter passwords and the like, but when I click on the share button on a website with a login page LastPass doesn't show up as something I can enable.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Has a bug with calendar alerts been brought up here? Anyone experiencing the problem of alerts switching? Example: Sometimes Alert 1 and Alert 2 will switch making Alert 1 the later alert. Maybe it doesn't affect the earlier alert, but I haven't checked.

pxleyes

Banned
So a ton of my slo mo videos aren't showing in Instagram anymore. Media management is in the shitter right now. No clue what the solution is.

mrkgoo

Are the help notes when you swipe down on spotlight supposed to only show the first time? They're prermantly on my iPhone 5.

I notice on an iPad air, they disappeared.

Edit: never mind . When I searched for something it disappeared and is no longer there. I've had it there since I updated to ios8 and it makes the spotlight screen slow to respond to flicking it away. Maybe it's remains until you first use it.

komplanen

Has a bug with calendar alerts been brought up here? Anyone experiencing the problem of alerts switching? Example: Sometimes Alert 1 and Alert 2 will switch making Alert 1 the later alert. Maybe it doesn't affect the earlier alert, but I haven't checked.

Could it be they simply made it so alert 1 is always the earliest one and alert 2 the latter? I personally always tried to make it so alert 1 and alert 2 match "1 day before" and "2 days before" :p

Jonogunn

Anyone else's Whatsapp notifications disappear from the notification center shortly after it appears?

Also when I swipe up to dismiss a notification from 3rd party apps it get stuck there and I have to double tap home button to get rid of it.

AAAALSO when I'm in landscape (top of phone pointing to the right only) the touch screen becomes pretty unresponsive to my swipes and taps. I notice I registers it if I tap in the middle but I can be swiping and tapping around the screen like a mad man and it won't register it.

These are some of my biggest annoyances with this buggy release.

Am I the only one?

Jin

Works fine on my iphone 5 and ipad air. But my ipod touch 5 is choppy as hell and sometimes there's a 2-3 second delay when it plays the next track. Just a stuttering mess. Now that Apple has stop signing off on the ios 7 is there anyway to downgrade from 8 to 7?

Dez

Anyone else's Whatsapp notifications disappear from the notification center shortly after it appears?

Also when I swipe up to dismiss a notification from 3rd party apps it get stuck there and I have to double tap home button to get rid of it.

AAAALSO when I'm in landscape (top of phone pointing to the right only) the touch screen becomes pretty unresponsive to my swipes and taps. I notice I registers it if I tap in the middle but I can be swiping and tapping around the screen like a mad man and it won't register it.

These are some of my biggest annoyances with this buggy release.

Am I the only one?

I believe the problem with your whatsapp is that you've disabled background app refresh for that app. The same problem happened to me after whatsapps latest update.

Jonogunn

I believe the problem with your whatsapp is that you've disabled background app refresh for that app. The same problem happened to me after whatsapps latest update.

I just checked my settings and I have background op refresh set to on

I also erased all my data and started from scratch.

Dez

I just checked my settings and I have background op refresh set to on

I also erased all my data and started from scratch.

Hmm the only other setting I changed was to enable badge icons for whatsapp as well. Though I did that first and the problem still happened. Only after enabling background app refresh did the problem go away. I had tried deleting the app and reinstalling as well. Good luck! I absolutely hate whatsapp because of issues like this - and they take forever to update.

giga

The transit app added a widget to show the nearest lines. It's awesome.

wYGwVRW.jpg

PatzCU

What are people here using for backing up photos from your iphone? I'm finally running up against the space limitations of the free iCloud account and don't really want to pay Apple ridiculous prices for little storage. Furthermore, trying to manipulate data/photos on my phone through iTunes is an absolute joke so I'd prefer to cut Apple out altogether on this if possible.

A friend suggested Google+ and that seems like a good option given the amount of space you get for $0-$2/mo (25GB and 100GB).

What I can't stand in ios8 is the "do not disturb" setting that can be enabled for a specific text thread ONLY affects sound alerts for that thread. I really wish I could mute notifications for a specific thread😞😰.

As it is now I have to turn all my text notifications off on the lock screen and the drop down notification that occurs web the phone is unlocked just to keep this ONE text thread from lighting up my screen constantly.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've avoided upgrading so far, has 8 performance on iPhone 5 been just like 7? I don't think I can trade how smooth it is right now for a few cool features.

What are people here using for backing up photos from your iphone? I'm finally running up against the space limitations of the free iCloud account and don't really want to pay Apple ridiculous prices for little storage. Furthermore, trying to manipulate data/photos on my phone through iTunes is an absolute joke so I'd prefer to cut Apple out altogether on this if possible.

A friend suggested Google+ and that seems like a good option given the amount of space you get for $0-$2/mo (25GB and 100GB).

Flickr since it has 1TB of free storage.

lexi

Banned

Ridiculous prices? 99 cents a month for 20gb? 4 dollars a month for 200gb? I wish Dropbox had such ridiculous pricing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ridiculous prices? 99 cents a month for 20gb? 4 dollars a month for 200gb? I wish Dropbox had such ridiculous pricing.
Yeah. All DropBox has is 1TB for $10. And while it's still half the price of iCloud, you have to pay that one price even if you don't plan on using all that space. They really need to have smaller plans like iCloud. Even if it ends up being $1 for 40GB instead.

I bought a month of DropBox because I was going to store all my image files there for access from all my iOS devices. But now I realized I can just use an iOS Photo Streaming app to do this and not have to pay a cent so I'll be canceling my DB plan. In fact, I might even drop DropBox all together. It's not really used much by me for anything other than some small things. iCloud Drive might work better for those things anyway. And you get 5GB free with iCloud. DB only starts at 2GB. Though apparently if you downgrade from 1TB you get 5GB. Plus I've pretty much maxed my free storage on DB.

I'm going to test iCloud's responsiveness now.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

OneDrive. Free 30Gb which syncs to my PC where I just move the photos and videos out of that folder and then I have 30Gb free space again. :)

iFootball

What are people here using for backing up photos from your iphone?

I'm old-school... I plug iPhone into PC, browse to the iPhone's photo folder via Windows Explorer, and I Copy & Paste my photos and videos there into my local NAS drive... takes me 5 minutes at most. Once that's done, I delete everything from my phone. If I ever need to access my stuff, I login into my Home NAS solution via Web.

Pyrokai

So guys....

I don't have a computer. Let me just say that again: I don't have a computer nor do I have access to a computer. I also don't have Wifi (in my home).

Well, so I'm FINALLY in a place with Wifi, so I decided to update to iOS8, because apparently its only requirement made clear to me was that I had to be in a Wifi zone with over 50% battery. I was excited, but now I think my phone is permanently stuck in limbo. It has a picture of the charging cord pointing to the iTunes logo. I'm assuming I have to plug it into iTunes, something i have never done with this phone. This phone has never been connected to a computer. I live totally in the cloud and ever since they severed the iTunes cord, I thought those days were over.

What do I do? I feel like I'm going to be without a phone for quite a while now :(

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So guys....

I don't have a computer. Let me just say that again: I don't have a computer nor do I have access to a computer. I also don't have Wifi (in my home).

Well, so I'm FINALLY in a place with Wifi, so I decided to update to iOS8, because apparently its only requirement made clear to me was that I had to be in a Wifi zone with over 50% battery. I was excited, but now I think my phone is permanently stuck in limbo. It has a picture of the charging cord pointing to the iTunes logo. I'm assuming I have to plug it into iTunes, something i have never done with this phone. This phone has never been connected to a computer. I live totally in the cloud and ever since they severed the iTunes cord, I thought those days were over.

What do I do? I feel like I'm going to be without a phone for quite a while now :(
I feel like your best bet is to take it into an Apple Store unfortunately. Either that, or enlist the help of a friend who does own a computer and hook it up to iTunes there? Either way, there's no way to fix the phone without it getting attached to a computer.

Top Bottom