• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Pyrokai

Oh man....I am updating the 5C, but I don't think that should change anything.

I think it must have been my fault, because I had some problems at first getting it to update. It sat on the "verrifying connection" screen for over an hour before I finally shut the phone down, thinking it froze. It started back up and everything was normal, went to try and update it again and it proceeded like normal this time (didn't get stuck on that screen--only stayed on it for 5-10 seconds), but it's requiring me to take it to iTunes now.

Ninja Dom

I reckon that your 5c has downloaded the iOS 8 firmware but then failed to connect with the Apple servers to verify the download and initiate the installation.

Although it's saying plug into iTunes i don't think its that there is anything majorly wrong with the phone and it will be back up and running fairly quickly providing you can plug it into a computer.

Also, seeing as it's a 5C, unless you bought it around the time of initial launch in September 2013, then you'll still be within your 12 month warranty period and Apple can change the phone over for you.

Pyrokai

Well, update:

I actually did find someone who let me use his computer to plug in my phone (what luck! He had iTunes, too) and....it said the phone was in recovery mode and it will have to be reverted to its original factory settings with the newest OS version.....so all my data is lost :(

What a pain. But thank goodness I'm totally in the cloud, or I would have been a super, super upset person.

I guess that all I need to do once it is finished updating is download all my apps again, right? My phone was ever-so-perfectly organized. Sigh......

Jin

Works fine on my iphone 5 and ipad air. But my ipod touch 5 is choppy as hell and sometimes there's a 2-3 second delay when it plays the next track. Just a stuttering mess. Now that Apple has stop signing off on the ios 7 is there anyway to downgrade from 8 to 7?

Quoting my own post. I found some tweaks from reddit that helped my ipod touch 5 choppiness. Go to general -> accessibility-> Increase contrast -> reduce transparency.
While at accessibility menu turn on "reduce motion". These two setting made my ipod more responsive. Almost like iOs 7 level.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Well, update:

I actually did find someone who let me use his computer to plug in my phone (what luck! He had iTunes, too) and....it said the phone was in recovery mode and it will have to be reverted to its original factory settings with the newest OS version.....so all my data is lost :(

What a pain. But thank goodness I'm totally in the cloud, or I would have been a super, super upset person.

I guess that all I need to do once it is finished updating is download all my apps again, right? My phone was ever-so-perfectly organized. Sigh......

Restoring your iCloud backup should retain how you organized your stuff.

n64coder

I have to say, I am stunned that Apple still supports the iPad 2 with updates.

The one problem I have encountered is that my battery no longer charges to 100%. It charges to 91% and is very very slow to get there. This is an IOS 8 issue that other people have reported, right?

mrkgoo

Does anyone know how I can view my frequent locations data? Under iOS 7 it used to be under privacy -> system -> frequent locations.

But under iOS 8, all I see is a switch.

DarkJC

Does anyone know how I can view my frequent locations data? Under iOS 7 it used to be under privacy -> system -> frequent locations.

I see it under Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services -> Frequent Locations

Has a switch and a list of currently recorded frequent locations.

The one problem I have encountered is that my battery no longer charges to 100%. It charges to 91% and is very very slow to get there. This is an IOS 8 issue that other people have reported, right?

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. I was starting to get worried my iPad was dying or something. I have an iPad 3, and my battery stops charging around 91%-97%. I tried draining it to 0% and charging it over night but it still did the same thing. When I check it in the morning, it says, "Not charging." I even went out and bought a new charger but it still happens. The only way to charge it to full now is to make sure the display is turned off. I have to wait a good 30 minutes to an hour in order to get that last 3%. If I try to charge it while off, it turns itself back on. Never had this problem until after iOS 8.

You may need to use the phone for a few days before the history shows up. Need to go to the same place more than once

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services (all the way at the bottom) > Frequent Locations >

Should have the switch and frequent history lists below

mrkgoo

You may need to use the phone for a few days before the history shows up. Need to go to the same place more than once

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services (all the way at the bottom) > Frequent Locations >

Should have the switch and frequent history lists below
Yeah I know where it is, never turned it off and used to look at it in ios7.

For some reasons it's not there. Maybe it cleared itself and started a fresh, but it should be showing something by now.

I turns it off and on again, but found it was crashing the settings app if I changed the atate and tried to go back one menu.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Yeah I know where it is, never turned it off and used to look at it in ios7.

For some reasons it's not there. Maybe it cleared itself and started a fresh, but it should be showing something by now.

I turns it off and on again, but found it was crashing the settings app if I changed the atate and tried to go back one menu.

Have you left the house? lol

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Thank goodness I'm not the only one. I was starting to get worried my iPad was dying or something. I have an iPad 3, and my battery stops charging around 91%-97%. I tried draining it to 0% and charging it over night but it still did the same thing. When I check it in the morning, it says, "Not charging." I even went out and bought a new charger but it still happens. The only way to charge it to full now is to make sure the display is turned off. I have to wait a good 30 minutes to an hour in order to get that last 3%. If I try to charge it while off, it turns itself back on. Never had this problem until after iOS 8.
All device batteries behave this way. They cycle/dump the last 10% or so of charge as to not overcharge the battery and cause damage when the device is being continuously charged. Apple just usually cloaks this by displaying 100% when it's really not.

All device batteries behave this way. They cycle/dump the last 10% or so of charge as to not overcharge the battery and cause damage when the device is being continuously charged. Apple just usually cloaks this by displaying 100% when it's really not.

I got over my battery drain obsessiveness by turning off the %. I spent far too much time scrutinising a battery indicator which is never, ever going to be 100% accurate.

btkadams

Has anyone installed beta 8.1 onto their 6 Plus? I'm wondering if it fixes some of the laggy animation that people have complained about. My 6 Plus is still in the mail so I am unable to check (or verify the lagginess of iOS 8.0/8.0.2).

I know, but I was always able to get a full charge. And now my battery is stuck at 80% and "Not Charging" after 9 hours of uninterrupted charging. Something is wrong.

FuuroQa.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I updated to iOS 8.0.2 when it came out, and it fucked up my steps data:

This is what the "show all data" option shows when I go back to the day I updated:
Very weird, and hella annoying.
Was the same for me. I solved it by manually adding a piece of data on the day where it was missing, then manually deleting that same data I added. I did this maybe twice as it didn't see to work the first time, but it eventually worked and all the previously recorded data showed up.

GWX

Was the same for me. I solved it by manually adding a piece of data on the day where it was missing, then manually deleting that same data I added. I did this maybe twice as it didn't see to work the first time, but it eventually worked and all the previously recorded data showed up.

I don't know if I have the patience to do that =( I wish it magically started working again.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't know if I have the patience to do that =( I wish it magically started working again.
It takes about 30 seconds to do it. I just needed to add and then remove one piece of data for a single day (not for every day!). I may have repeated that twice, but I probably didn't have to. It then showed recorded data for all the days where it was missing.

GWX

It takes about 30 seconds to do it. I just needed to add and then remove one piece of data for a single day (not for every day!). I may have repeated that twice, but I probably didn't have to. It then showed recorded data for all the days where it was missing.

But I have tons of small bits of data for each day, averaging 10 steps or so =(

edit: I tried to do it, couldn't even finish September 25th (the last day before it bugged with the update), so I just cleared it all... If the next update messes things up again, I'm gonna be mad.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
But I have tons of small bits of data for each day, averaging 10 steps or so =(
Just try it. I had exact same problem and fixed it that way in a very short time.

Go add one piece of data for just one day where it's now not showing data. You will actually see that the data is there, just not being displayed. Then when it starts displaying all the data, just go and delete the piece you added.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, it seems like you were trying to do something I wasn't describing :(
It is normal that you have thousands of pieces of data with 5-10 steps each. You just needed to manually add one such piece of data for just one single day.

GWX

Just try it. I had exact same problem and fixed it that way in a very short time.

Go add one piece of data for just one day where it's now not showing data. You will actually see that the data is there, just not being displayed. Then when it starts displaying all the data, just go and delete the piece you added.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, it seems like you were trying to do something I wasn't describing :(
It is normal that you have thousands of pieces of data with 5-10 steps each. You just needed to manually add one such piece of data for just one single day.

I misread what you said, damn. Still, thanks for the help!

Namikaze

I know, but I was always able to get a full charge. And now my battery is stuck at 80% and "Not Charging" after 9 hours of uninterrupted charging. Something is wrong.

FuuroQa.jpg

My iPad mini retina does the same thing, but only when I use my AMAZON Lightning cable. I just unplug it and switch it to another lighting cable in the house, it charges up to 100% after that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Has a bug with calendar alerts been brought up here? Anyone experiencing the problem of alerts switching? Example: Sometimes Alert 1 and Alert 2 will switch making Alert 1 the later alert. Maybe it doesn't affect the earlier alert, but I haven't checked.

Could it be they simply made it so alert 1 is always the earliest one and alert 2 the latter? I personally always tried to make it so alert 1 and alert 2 match "1 day before" and "2 days before" :p
The problem I'm having with alerts is different. I have my work schedule in my calendar and set it for a 10 minute drive and 30 minute warning. My Mac on Yosemite alerts me at 40 minutes before like it always has. But my two iOS8 devices do it at 50 minutes for some reason. It's kind of annoying and makes no sense.

yulian

Neo Member
I have a 5s and an Air and both had the same issue after moving from 7 to 8. Both devices would CONSTANTLY ask me for my iCloud password. Annoying, but a simple fix of logging out of iTunes store in Settings and then logging back in. That might have been mentioned in the past 50 pages...My bad if repeating.

MoodyFog

Quick question:

I have a 6 and messages all work fine, when I send or receive an image I just see it in the discussion like before.

But on my dad's 5S, he sees the little point with the name of the attached image, and has to click it to actually see the image. But he is on iOS 8 too and should see the images I send just fine..

Anyone had this problem?

Number45

Have Apple mentioned that they're going to be adding the third location option for *all* apps? Always or never is no use, particularly when some of the system services allow you to define when open. :-/

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Have Apple mentioned that they're going to be adding the third location option for *all* apps? Always or never is no use, particularly when some of the system services allow you to define when open. :-/

There are three options, it's up to the app developer how they use them

• Always
  • While Using
  • Never

mrkgoo

I imagine that the always/never equates to the old on/off, not that a background app is literally always using gps.

dyergram

Anybody else having issues with certain websites not working after this update? My girlfriend keeps swearing at me because various sites don't work anymore but I pretty much just browse gaf so it doesn't really affect me.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Anybody else having issues with certain websites not working after this update? My girlfriend keeps swearing at me because various sites don't work anymore but I pretty much just browse gaf so it doesn't really affect me.

Sure it's not just the wonky wifi issues that's affecting many many people?

Ghazi

So, I'm at the point where my phone will refuse to sync with iTunes and Touch ID is borked. RIP me.

my 5s battery life took a big hit with ios8, seemed to drain faster on wifi..

Same, my phone's always dead by the end of the day. It really sucks, wish I'd kept 7.

Top Bottom