• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Ninja Dom

Best ios 8 feature is gif's work now.

GIF's work probably better on iOS 8 than I can ever remember them working on previous iOS versions. Also, GIF's work great on the latest release of Mac OS X Yosemite. Apple must have had a mandate to get them working properly on their two OS's.

Mindwipe

I dunno about redirects, but GAF very reliably crashes the most recent version of OSX desktop Safari.

Still rampant wifi issues with 8.0.2. Sick of this shit, I have a Z3C arriving this week.

Ashhong

Once my 6 arrives at some point today I'll try it out on my 5S before wiping it.

Have you been experiencing the issue? It's such a pain in the ass. I'm reading it has something to do with 5ghz or something?

edit: jk, my router doesnt even have the 5ghz on it and I'm having the issue

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Have you been experiencing the issue? It's such a pain in the ass. I'm reading it has something to do with 5ghz or something?

Yeah I have the issue of wifi becoming really slow in apps and choking on websites after a little bit of use on my 5S since 8.0. It receives max speed from the wifi it's just not doing anything with it. It's temporarily fixable by going onto cellular for a while and swapping back but it persists no matter on what wifi network I am or what settings said wifi has etc. Have tested 'all supposed fixes' out there aside from a complete restore from scratch for this phone (which apparently Apple recommends) but none have worked, I have another 5S on iOS 7 still which works just fine.

Will try 8.1b later and then wipe/restore the phone after that but this is all after I've moved my content to my soon-to-be-here iPhone 6.

Ashhong

Yeah I have the issue of wifi becoming really slow in apps and choking on websites after a little bit of use on my 5S since 8.0. It receives max speed from the wifi it's just not doing anything with it. It's temporarily fixable by going onto cellular for a while and swapping back but it persists no matter on what wifi network I am or what settings said wifi has etc. Have tested 'all supposed fixes' out there aside from a complete restore from scratch for this phone (which apparently Apple recommends) but none have worked, I have another 5S on iOS 7 still which works just fine.

Will try 8.1b later and then wipe/restore the phone after that but this is all after I've moved my content to my soon-to-be-here iPhone 6.

Yea I dont have faith in a restore fixing it either. I had the issue on my 5 when I updated to 8, and then on my brand new 6. Really need that fix...

Mindwipe

Yeah, it's nothing to do with 5ghz, that's just some speculation that's become accepted with no proof.

It's also nothing to do with WEP vs WPA2. It still happens on networks with no security at all, or with http redirects.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Are there any decent apps for downloading Youtube videos either just to have them saved on the phone, or for transferring to PC?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yea I dont have faith in a restore fixing it either. I had the issue on my 5 when I updated to 8, and then on my brand new 6. Really need that fix...

No Wifi issues on my iPhone 6 and 8.1 seems to work fine so far on my 5S. *fingers crossed!*

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I haven't had the redirection problem at all yet. Even on iOS 7 I only had it happen thrice. Now it never happens. I wonder if it has anything to do with location based ads? Maybe there just aren't any in my area? Or does GAF Mobile not use iAd and its location stuff? Does GAF Mobile use location for ads at all?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I haven't had the redirection problem at all yet. Even on iOS 7 I only had it happen thrice. Now it never happens. I wonder if it has anything to do with location based ads? Maybe there just aren't any in my area? Or does GAF Mobile not use iAd and its location stuff? Does GAF Mobile use location for ads at all?

Never had any redirects to the App Store ever. My guess it's region based.

I dunno about redirects, but GAF very reliably crashes the most recent version of OSX desktop Safari.

What? I use OSX Safari, and never have GAF crash on me at all. Unless you're running the beta version of Yosemite or something. I've got the most recent update of Safari, and it runs fine. Zero issues at all.

Ambitious

For those who liked Launcher, you might want to give Quick-Tap a try before Apple pulls it off the App Store eventually.

Ugh. The alignment, spacing and word wrapping in the first screenshot really bothers me.

screen568x568.jpeg

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Wiped my 5S which had wifi issues previously and restored as new device and it now works fine on 8.0.2. I guess it was a software glitch from upgrading.

NYR

Whoever thought it was a good idea to let your iPad ring when you get a phone call on your iPhone needs to be lined up and shot. What a fucking stupid feature - it still rings AFTER I pick up the fucking phone. Thank god I can turn that off in the FaceTime options.

Dany

Banned
Whoever thought it was a good idea to let your iPad ring when you get a phone call on your iPhone needs to be lined up and shot. What a fucking stupid feature - it still rings AFTER I pick up the fucking phone. Thank god I can turn that off in the FaceTime options.

Awful Bug, its worse if you have Yosemite, everything fucking lights up and rings. Its so bad haha.

Mine did that yesterday and I was like wtf.

Nero3000

iOS 8 is terrible on an iPad 2 - response time to inputs measured in seconds.

They shouldn't have bothered putting it out for A5 devices.

ZeroX03

Banned
iOS 8 is terrible on an iPad 2 - response time to inputs measured in seconds.

They shouldn't have bothered putting it out for A5 devices.

It's kind of a lose / lose / lose / lose situation for Apple in terms of new OSes on older devices:

• They put iOS8 up for older devices = of course it doesn't run well, people get pissed, think they're forced to upgrade!
  • They don't put iOS8 up for older devices = oh no it's obsolescence, people get pissed, think they're forced to upgrade!
  • They gimp iOS8 so it doesn't take advantage of new phones powers but runs smoothly = you buy a new device that's been held back by parity, people get pissed they upgraded!
  • They don't give iOS8 full functionality on older devices = more obsolescence, people get pissed, it's forced upgrade time!
But in the end it's a win situation because people just buy new phones anyway!

Ideally they should just make downgrading a simple process for those who don't feel the performance loss is worth the upgrade. It was possible to downgrade after the first week but now it's a trickier affair as they've stopped signing it.

Future

It's kind of a lose / lose / lose / lose situation for Apple in terms of new OSes on older devices:

• They put iOS8 up for older devices = of course it doesn't run well, people get pissed, think they're forced to upgrade!
  • They don't put iOS8 up for older devices = oh no it's obsolescence, people get pissed, think they're forced to upgrade!
  • They gimp iOS8 so it doesn't take advantage of new phones powers but runs smoothly = you buy a new device that's been held back by parity, people get pissed they upgraded!
  • They don't give iOS8 full functionality on older devices = more obsolescence, people get pissed, it's forced upgrade time!

Ideally they should just make downgrading a simple process for those who don't feel the performance loss is worth the upgrade. It was possible to downgrade after the first week but now it's a trickier affair as they've stopped signing it.

Actually they already do some of those things. Not all OS features are available to the old phones.

I don't think its lose lose at all. People only get pissed when the update makes their phones run like crap, cuz why do that. They were happily selling ipad 2s a year ago, and now there is an irreversible update that makes it run like crap.

Majine

Banned
They could be more transparent about the whole thing.

"This is more resource intensive for older devices. We're gonna give it to you, but we're also gonna make it so you can downgrade".

ZeroX03

Banned
Actually they already do some of those things. Not all OS features are available to the old phones.

I don't think its lose lose at all. People only get pissed when the update makes their phones run like crap, cuz why do that. They were happily selling ipad 2s a year ago, and now there is an irreversible update that makes it run like crap.

They do all of things, it's the nature of software updates on older technology, they can't please everyone. You can still buy older Android devices from a couple years back but shouldn't expect them to run the newest Android perfectly.

And yeah, the 'irreversible' part is the problem. Give people a choice to go back.

Joey Deacon

Neo Member
Is there any way to show a full notification on the iPhone's lockscreen? I get several accounts pushed from twitter and the notification only ever shows the first 100? characters of the message, never the full message (unless it's less than 100 characters obv).

Is there anyway to change this so it shows the full message?

Blackhead

Redarse
TidBITS: iOS 8 Third-Party Keyboards Explained and Reviewed
Apple also offers the following App Store review guidelines:
  • Keyboard extensions must remain functional with no network access or they will be rejected.
  • Apps offering Keyboard extensions must have a primary category of Utilities and a privacy policy or they will be rejected.
  • Apps offering Keyboard extensions may only collect user activity to enhance the functionality of their keyboard extension on the iOS device or they may be rejected.
... Apple outlines certain things a keyboard should do, such as autocorrection and suggestion, which are the sort of things SwiftKey requires Full Access for. But Apple’s own guidelines say that a keyboard must remain functional with no network access. What is Apple’s exact definition of “functional?”

... Apple specifies that every keyboard must provide a way to switch between keyboards, but it unfortunately doesn’t specify a single way of doing that.

As a result, switching between keyboards looks and works a bit differently in each keyboard — it’s a mess:
  • Fleksy: press and hold the globe key
  • PopKey: tap the globe key
  • SwiftKey: tap the globe key
  • TextExpander: tap the Smile mascot
  • Swype: press and hold the Swype icon, then slide your finger over the globe popover
If you have several keyboards enabled, switching between them is infuriating. Not only can there be a different method every time, but the keys are often in different places. Even Apple’s own emoji keyboard is guilty of this, moving the Next Keyboard key one space to the left from the U.S. English system keyboard...

For the sake of simplicity, I’m going to divide keyboards into two categories: replacement keyboards and utility keyboards. In my terms, a replacement keyboard is a keyboard that’s trying to reinvent how you enter text across the board. In this category, I’d put apps like Fleksy, SwiftKey, and Swype.

Utility keyboards, in contrast, are those that offer capabilities unavailable on the standard keyboard. PopKey is a perfect example, since it types not with text, but with animated GIFs. I’d also include keyboards like TextExpander, since it’s handy to have access to your snippets throughout iOS, but you wouldn’t necessarily want to use it as your main keyboard in all apps.

The reason I’ve defined those categories is because my first recommendation is to pick one main keyboard (either the system keyboard or one of the replacement keyboards), and one or two utility keyboards, if needed, to augment it. You don’t want to enable too many keyboards at once or you’ll grow frustrated trying to switch between them...

This is the keyboard iPhone 6 Plus owners deserve | The Verge

Nero3000

How would they make you want to update then?!

By using a carrot method rather than a stick.

5) they could engineer iOS8 to have same or lower performance requirements as the previous version

They already limit functionality on lower end devices. The downgrade option would be ideal.

Also it may leave a sour taste with some people, that they upgrade to a non apple device.

Futureman

I just signed into iCloud on my computer for the first time as I don't like adding calendar events on a phone.

The calendar is completely blank and doesn't show any of my previously entered events.... do I need to enable sync on the phone or something?

Number45

I just signed into iCloud on my computer for the first time as I don't like adding calendar events on a phone.

The calendar is completely blank and doesn't show any of my previously entered events.... do I need to enable sync on the phone or something?
You'll have to make sure it's enabled in iCloud settings, yeah.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just want to say that I love the Paste+ widget, just for the simple fact you can upload photos or copied images to your imgur account straight from the NC without any external app.

Ambitious

Is the 1Password extension supposed to actually log me in, just like the Desktop version? Because it just fills in the fields for me. I have to press the Login button myself.

Top Bottom