• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So, apparently updating to iOS 8 removed my iPhone 5S's personal hotspot ability. While searching online for how to turn it back on, I just thought I'd give it a reboot.

Turned if off, and it wouldn't boot past the Apple logo.

I can confirm that iCloud restore works, if anyone was wondering.

Anyway, to enable personal hotspot, I needed to fill out a field in Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network.

Wiz

Does anyone else's wifi connection just stop working for them? My wifi just dropped and I had to do a reboot to get it to work again. This has happened multiple times. :|

Does anyone else's wifi connection just stop working for them? My wifi just dropped and I had to do a reboot to get it to work again. This has happened multiple times. :|

I can't speak on the 6, but back when I had a 4S, one day the Wifi just stopped working. Every once in a while it would come back but for the most part it was gone completely. I eventually got tired of it and sold it.

andycapps

Apple really needs to add a clear cache option to the Manage Storage part of settings. Apps balloon out of control. Only solution seems to be to delete them and reinstall. My offender right now is Twitterific which has an application size of 11 MB, yet it's using 832 right now. Most people's reaction that I've heard in the past is that when the phone gets full that the OS will delete unnecessary data on it's own. That's never happened in my experience. It tells me my phone is reaching capacity and I should free up space on my own.

They really need to have this option. Seems like a no brainer.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Apple really needs to add a clear cache option to the Manage Storage part of settings. Apps balloon out of control. Only solution seems to be to delete them and reinstall. My offender right now is Twitterific which has an application size of 11 MB, yet it's using 832 right now. Most people's reaction that I've heard in the past is that when the phone gets full that the OS will delete unnecessary data on it's own. That's never happened in my experience. It tells me my phone is reaching capacity and I should free up space on my own.

You can, under Usage > "the app" > documents & data > delete.

That clears the data the app has downloaded without deleting the app itself.

Edit: it seems it's no longer possible(?), you used to be able to swipe and delete the cache there but that's no longer the case. Hmm.

DarkJC

Nope, the only option is "Delete App". Tried this using Tweetbot: The app size is 9.5 MB, the Documents & Data portion is 594 MB. No option to delete just the data, can't swipe to delete or anything.

xsarien

daedsiluap
The first real bug I've come across:

iMessage thread DND is arbitrarily ignored/honored. Tried resetting the switch, rebooting, etc. It seems to "mute" my busy threads whenever it damn well suits itself to do so. Really annoying.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Nope, the only option is "Delete App". Tried this using Tweetbot: The app size is 9.5 MB, the Documents & Data portion is 594 MB. No option to delete just the data, can't swipe to delete or anything.
Yeah edited my post. It seems it's gone...

Try PhoneClean on a PC. The free version can do a scan and delete caches and other stuff. Selectively if you so choose. Have used it many times.

andycapps

Edit: it seems it's no longer possible(?), you used to be able to swipe and delete the cache there but that's no longer the case. Hmm.

Yeah edited my post. It seems it's gone...

Try PhoneClean on a PC. The free version can do a scan and delete caches and other stuff. Selectively if you so choose. Have used it many times.

Yeah, it's a really huge design oversight that I'm surprised more people don't talk about. Given the polish on the rest of the OS, still some dumb things like this. I may give your tip a try.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Yeah, it's a really huge design oversight that I'm surprised more people don't talk about. Given the polish on the rest of the OS, still some dumb things like this. I may give your tip

As far as various back and forth with individual app support teams over the years goes, this seems to kind of be on the developers. Spotify is *really* horrible at keeping their cache nice and tidy. Maybe there's something deeper in iOS that they're trying to lean on that isn't quite working right, but enough hints have been dropped that the app writers can do it too and there may be some good, old-fashioned laziness involved.

andycapps

As far as various back and forth with individual app support teams over the years goes, this seems to kind of be on the developers. Spotify is *really* horrible at keeping their cache nice and tidy. Maybe there's something deeper in iOS that they're trying to lean on that isn't quite working right, but enough hints have been dropped that the app writers can do it too and there may be some good, old-fashioned laziness involved.

Apple has to plan for not all devs being up to the task though. You have to code for stupidity. The developers can just say that Apple should build that capability into the OS.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Apple has to plan for not all devs being up to the task though. You have to code for stupidity. The developers can just say that Apple should build that capability into the OS.

That goes both ways. Automate too much and the OS starts deleting cache that the app maker may want to keep for longer periods of time.

The answer is to obviously make it something the app can use or not use. :)

Ashhong

No, I am running 8.1 and still have the issue. It only happens when I use safari to surf. I have switched to chrome for now.

Only on safari? I have it on everything. Safari, chrome, twitch, YouTube etc. Really sucks when I'm trying to chrome cast and I can't even get the video to load on my phone

andycapps

That goes both ways. Automate too much and the OS starts deleting cache that the app maker may want to keep for longer periods of time.

The answer is to obviously make it something the app can use or not use. :)

Seems like they could set some kind of maximum cache size that the developer expects it to balloon to, within reason, and then past that point the application/OS starts to clear oldest data. Or the alternative is to just have a clear cache button. It's not that hard to put one in the OS. Android has had it since the beginning.

So after updating to iOS 8, my phone is stuck in the apple logo boot loop.

Tried to restore it and every time it gives me an unknown error occurred (9) message.

Any suggestions?

xbhaskarx

The same thing happened to me yesterday. I called Apple, they had me try a few things, nothing worked. They told me it was a hardware problem so I set up an appointment with my local Apple Store, to get it replaced. I took it there today, and somehow they got it to work again, but completely wiped clean. Luckily I had backed it up right before attempting the update, so I restored it and it's back to normal now.

Samus4145

Can anyone explain to me how to get twitter to stop posting unrelated tweets on the lock screen? I already set twitter to only show mentions, but the lock screen is showing every new tweet.

Kuroyume

Banned
2 questions...

1) I'm on iOS 8.01 is it okay for an 5s owner to update to 8.0.2? Better or worse?

2) In the audio app I prefer to have an album picture next to an artist's name. And, yesterday I did a restore to a back up and when I went to the audio app after restoring, I noticed some of the pictures changed. For example, Cheap Trick and Motley Crue show picture of the bands instead of the album cover. Is there a way to change this?

Can anyone explain to me how to get twitter to stop posting unrelated tweets on the lock screen? I already set twitter to only show mentions, but the lock screen is showing every new tweet.

If you're referring to the 'X Y and Z favorited ABC's tweet' type notifications, I believe this is controlled with the 'Other' toggle under Notifications.

Samus4145

If you're referring to the 'X Y and Z favorited ABC's tweet' type notifications, I believe this is controlled with the 'Other' toggle under Notifications.

Couldn't tell you. First iOS device, so not sure what that is. Basically any tweets that are appearing my timeline are showing up on the lock screen.

I don't want to disable them completely, but only show mentions, which is what is already selected in the Twitter app.

DarkJC

Tried to restore it and every time it gives me an unknown error occurred (9) message.

Any suggestions?

Put it into DFU mode while connected to a computer. This is different from recovery mode, and when in DFU mode you will see no Apple logo on the screen at all, it will appear to be off.

iTunes will detect the iPhone in DFU mode and will fully reinstall everything from scratch.

DFU mode: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The Health app is so frustrating to me. It's nice that the phone is tracking steps/distance/flights climbed, but the graphs you can put on the dashboard are really vague, and there's no way to select a particular day/week/month to compare against others. Outside of today's total and the daily average you can only really see what the high and low values are, or look at a million records of "0.0013km" or "6 steps". Did Apple not think that people would actually like to use the data for anything other than making a pretty graph?

Is this stuff going to be accessible to other apps for better tracking eventually?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
2 questions...

1) I'm on iOS 8.01 is it okay for an 5s owner to update to 8.0.2? Better or worse?

2) In the audio app I prefer to have an album picture next to an artist's name. And, yesterday I did a restore to a back up and when I went to the audio app after restoring, I noticed some of the pictures changed. For example, Cheap Trick and Motley Crue show picture of the bands instead of the album cover. Is there a way to change this?
If you're on 8.0.1, update to 8.0.2.

Music: it displays band photos in the 'Artist' view when you have more than 1 album from that artist, album art is shown inside or via the dedicated 'Album' view. Can't change that as far as I'm aware.

The Health app is so frustrating to me. It's nice that the phone is tracking steps/distance/flights climbed, but the graphs you can put on the dashboard are really vague, and there's no way to select a particular day/week/month to compare against others. Outside of today's total and the daily average you can only really see what the high and low values are, or look at a million records of "0.0013km" or "6 steps". Did Apple not think that people would actually like to use the data for anything other than making a pretty graph?

Is this stuff going to be accessible to other apps for better tracking eventually?

That's what I would hope so. Should already be possible as the API for data exchange works in both directions.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That's what I would hope so. Should already be possible as the API for data exchange works in both directions.
Seems to me that's the whole idea... A central repository for health apps/sensors to put data into and take data out of.

It's only potential right now, but I think it's forward thinking. Instead of, say, a Fitbit having nothing to do with your phone outside of a Fitbit app, it's going to be able to connect with the entire ecosystem of your phone. Maybe sensor data can interact with games, or you can compete in distance travelled via social networking... The possibilities are endless.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I wonder how the Fitbit stuff will work, seeing as the phone is already tracking steps/distance and so is the Fitbit, wouldn't there be a conflict in which data to use? I can see it passing sleep tracking data on though if you've got one of the ones that track that.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is there any way to show a full notification on the iPhone's lockscreen? I get several accounts pushed from twitter and the notification only ever shows the first 100? characters of the message, never the full message (unless it's less than 100 characters obv).

Is there anyway to change this so it shows the full message?

I've been looking into this for a while and still haven't found a good solution (It's one of the things I'll miss most from Android). Twitter can't show the full message because Apple put a restriction on push notification length. I don't know if Apple has the same restrictions on widgets; perhaps you can find one for your notifications? Or try getting SMS notifications from Twitter instead?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The way notifications are handled in Android is lightyears ahead of iOS, I hope Apple makes some big steps in that direction with later software updates. I love being able to archive emails and swipe away unwanted stuff quickly and easily on my Nexus, all seems very clunky on iPhone by comparison.

Just had the music app crash after I selected a video to watch in Paper then resumed the music app.

And just had App Store crash when trying to review an app.

Such a buggy sloppy version of iOS.

I honestly can't wait for/am terrified of the future where Health Insurance companies are able to require the use of data from smart devices to say, "Screw you for sitting on your ass all day, forgetting to take your medicine, eating like crap, etc., enjoy not receiving a $100 discount on your health insurance payment this month, because you're a contributing factor to the high cost of health care."

FerranMG

So the SwiftKey update is there... But it just won't finish downloading. It keeps getting stuck a little past halfway

I could install it just fine, but the same happened to me with a Fleksy update a couple of weeks ago.
I don't know how, but it sorted itself after a few days. Try restarting the device and see if this helps.

andycapps

The way notifications are handled in Android is lightyears ahead of iOS, I hope Apple makes some big steps in that direction with later software updates. I love being able to archive emails and swipe away unwanted stuff quickly and easily on my Nexus, all seems very clunky on iPhone by comparison.

Agreed.

btkadams

You can actually swipe left on emails in Mail to archive them, when looking at the list of emails. If you do a small swipe, it shows you several options (archive, flag, etc.), but if you do a big quick swipe, it moves the email right out of the stack and archives it. I only found out because I did it by accident once.

Couldn't tell you. First iOS device, so not sure what that is. Basically any tweets that are appearing my timeline are showing up on the lock screen.

I don't want to disable them completely, but only show mentions, which is what is already selected in the Twitter app.

When you open the official Twitter app, navigate to the 'Me' tab at the lower right, and tap the cog icon near the top of your profile, you can access the app's settings. Under 'General', there's a setting for 'Notifications Timeline'. This doesn't control actual device notifications, it only affects what appears to you in the Notifications tab within the app itself.

But at the top of the Settings screen, it should say 'Accounts'—and below that is a list of the accounts logged in on your device.

If you tap on your account name, you should be taken to a page with a mountain of notification settings. The two that would be the likely culprits would be 'Other' which is about 1/3 from the bottom of this screen, or 'Tweets' at the very top.

'Other' is the notification that controls all the newer notifications Twitter uses that seem to be meant to drive engagement. Alerting you that your friends followed someone or something like that. A lot of people find that annoying.

'Tweets' is the notification that controls per-user notifications, so any accounts you've got Mobile Notifications turned on for will appear here. And every tweet they make will notify you. There may be a chance that this setting got switched on somehow for a whole bunch of people you follow, which would definitely make it seem like every tweet in your timeline was hitting your lockscreen.

Note too that you'll want to visit this setting screen for all the accounts you may be logged into, because the app respects the notification settings for each account. So if you've got a main account with all the notifications off, but a secondary account with all the notifications on, you'll still get a ton of device notifications from that secondary account.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
You can actually swipe left on emails in Mail to archive them, when looking at the list of emails. If you do a small swipe, it shows you several options (archive, flag, etc.), but if you do a big quick swipe, it moves the email right out of the stack and archives it. I only found out because I did it by accident once.

Yeah, I know, but with Android when I'm doing stuff I can slide down the notification tray and archive the email without having to go into the app, I can't do that in iOS.

Pretty mad at fitbit as well. They may be pushing me toward that Watch.

Out of curiosity, what are you mad at them about? I mentioned this in an earlier post but if the Fitbit is already tracking your steps/distance etc then what do you want it to tie into Health for? Do you have one of the devices with sleep tracking?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah, I know, but with Android when I'm doing stuff I can slide down the notification tray and archive the email without having to go into the app, I can't do that in iOS.

I don't have archiving on but I can swipe to Trash emails from the notifications themselves. I would assume Archive would work the same if on?

Like so:

tAxFl82.png

Same applies to the actual notification popping down and on the lockscreen.

Out of curiosity, what are you mad at them about? I mentioned this in an earlier post but if the Fitbit is already tracking your steps/distance etc then what do you want it to tie into Health for? Do you have one of the devices with sleep tracking?

Fitbit makes more than just their watch products, I for example have their WiFi enabled Weight Scale and am pretty annoyed at the fact I won’t be getting all of my info on the health app...

btkadams

Ahhh, ok. Yeah, I agree with you then that notification management needs to improve. The one thing I want most is an option to snooze any notification and get a reminder at a time I set.

ijm72

Not really any usability improvements though, just a resolution fix. Not taking advantage of the screen real estate at all. The back button being 99 light years away from my thumb is keeping me from using chrome.

I feel the same way I downloaded it for the first time yesterday but after using it for a couple of minutes I decided to go back to safari. Like you said the back button is all the way at the top which wouldn't be so bad if the back gesture worked the same way as Safari but Chrome uses that gesture for switching between tabs.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I don't have archiving on but I can swipe to Trash emails from the notifications themselves. I would assume Archive would work the same if on?

I honestly didn't even realise you could do this. That's a plus. I think I never realised I could do it because I don't have emails show up on the lock screen and looking at the notifications in iOS is a bit of a pain. Thanks for the heads up!

Fitbit makes more than just their watch products, I for example have their WiFi enabled Weight Scale and am pretty annoyed at the fact I won’t be getting all of my info on the health app...

Ah yeah that's understandable - I just wanted to know because I wasn't sure if that's what people were upset about. I actually knew they did the scale thing and didn't really think about it. I suppose as Healthkit grows you're going to want more of that data in there.

The phone will tell you to clear space first but if things get very desperate it'll delete the app caches. You can tell it's doing that because the app name will be replaced by a message like "Cleaning..." while it's happening. Strange that you can't seem to manually delete that data like before though.

Top Bottom