• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't have archiving on but I can swipe to Trash emails from the notifications themselves. I would assume Archive would work the same if on?

Like so:

tAxFl82.png

Same applies to the actual notification popping down and on the lockscreen.
Yes, Archiving works the same way. A friend at work had hers set to Archive and saw mine say Trash and was like "Wait. How do you get that Trash option? I hate Archiving!" and I was like "Here's how. I know, I hate Archiving too. It makes no sense. Why would I want to keep an email I delete forever? So silly." Then we laughed about it and went about our business.

Seriously though, interactive notifications is really nice.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i've suddenly started getting push notifications on my phone for spam messages. when i look at my inbox its not there (its in Junk E-mail). i have push notifications turned off for everything except my inbox.
i'm pretty sure this didn't happen before...but not sure if ios 8/mail related. is this office365 related? we moved from exchange to cloud service a few months back.

anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Apple really needs to add a clear cache option to the Manage Storage part of settings. Apps balloon out of control. Only solution seems to be to delete them and reinstall. My offender right now is Twitterific which has an application size of 11 MB, yet it's using 832 right now. Most people's reaction that I've heard in the past is that when the phone gets full that the OS will delete unnecessary data on it's own. That's never happened in my experience. It tells me my phone is reaching capacity and I should free up space on my own.

They really need to have this option. Seems like a no brainer.

I have this issue when streaming purchased movies and music. The files remain on the device but no way to clear them out. Sometimes I gotta download ANOTHER movie and then delete videos or do a hard reset. Same with streamed music. Unable to delete streamed songs taking up space without either downloading the rest of the album and then deleting or deleting all my music.

What you on? 8.0.2 or 8.1 Beta 2?

8.0.2 - And I'm still having wifi issues on my ipad. I'll have to disable then reenable wifi to get data moving. It'll show that I'm connected to wifi but nothing internet related works.

And I also see the continuity app icon on my lockscreen to an app I haven't used on my ipad in months....

And this morning my bluetooth earbud connection to my iPhone was skipping like crazy every time I locked/unlocked the screen or opened/closed multiple apps. Had to reboot to resolve the isssue.

And every time I reboot iOS on my iPhone I get prompted to put in my password. I had this issue before so I know it's related to bad music downloads that error'd out:
DPIsxwB.png

It won't let me delete em from the list. And if I click resume it just vanishes and the download window auto-closes. but then the next time I reboot it's right back to prompting me for my iTunes password. I've tried deleting the album from my phone. I've tried reinstalling iOS from backup (But it just auto-downloads all my music again and the same problem happens.)

iOS 8 for me has been the buggiest piece of shit. I've never had an iOS version be this buggy for me. Been on it since my iPhone 3G.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've had zero issues with my old 5S after wiping it completely before I restored it again to 8.0.2. Just putting that out there.

It was having issues left and right with data and wifi before that (which was following a straight update from 7.1.2 to 8.0 and so on without a wipe in between).

My iPad 3 exhibited similar wifi issues as well at first but I've since wiped that device as well and that's also fine.

Something in the update process from 7 is causing all these data issues it would seem to me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there any way at all to block a specific wifi network from ever being connected to? I keep tapping Forget but then it just reconnects again. It's like Eternal Sunshine here. I don't wNt it connecting to a network at work that requires a login. It's slow as hell and my 3G and LTE are faster.

Is there any way at all to block a specific wifi network from ever being connected to? I keep tapping Forget but then it just reconnects again. It's like Eternal Sunshine here. I don't wNt it connecting to a network at work that requires a login. It's slow as hell and my 3G and LTE are faster.

Reset network settings

manngc

I've had zero issues with my old 5S after wiping it completely before I restored it again to 8.0.2. Just putting that out there.

It was having issues left and right with data and wifi before that (which was following a straight update from 7.1.2 to 8.0 and so on without a wipe in between).

My iPad 3 exhibited similar wifi issues as well at first but I've since wiped that device as well and that's also fine.

Something in the update process from 7 is causing all these data issues it would seem to me.
This is something I've noticed. It seems the "Restore from Backup" from an iOS7 device to iOS8 causes lots of issues. My wife's iPhone 6 Plus was restored form backup from her iPhone 5 and it was a complete mess. The phone app didn't display a picture, mail and safari insta-crashed, home screen wouldn't rotate. Anyway, a full clean restore as a new phone fixed all of that.

I noticed a similar thing for my 4s. I restored from backup as I've done since the original iPhone and everything was slower but no significant bugs outside of the home button double press issue, and trying to use the facetime camera in imessage caused imessage to crash. However, a little later the album art in my music disappeared and I had problems resyncing it. So I did a restore as new for my phone and I've noticed the phone is faster, it doesn't refresh apps the moment an app is closed and even safari holds tabs a little better. So the message is don't restore from backup, restore your phone as a new device.

Vyer

Worst case, restore the phone as new folks. It will suck to have to re download apps (NOT restore from backup) and set everything up fresh, but with the issues some of you are having I can't help but feel it's the best option.

Would be even better if you restore and set up as a new phone through iTunes as well just to let your computer re download the software and any carrier updates that may be available.

xsarien

daedsiluap

It's somewhere on your iCloud keychain. If you want the nuke-it-from-orbit solution just open the Keychain Access app on your Mac (making a giant assumption that you have one), go to iCloud -> Passwords, and just delete the entry.

If you don't have a Mac, just try to "forget" across every device.

I kinda wish that for this one link on the keychain, Apple would give the ability to disable it. Like you, sometimes I don't want/need my iDevices talking to a wifi network that my computer auto-connects to.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I had an odd issue happen where random music started playing after I locked my phone. I closed literally every open program in the multitask manager and the music was still playing. I had to shut down the phone to make it stop. The strangest thing is it was music that I didn't have anywhere on my phone. Not in the Music app, not Spotify, nowhere. Kind of freaky.

I've also had the screen not turn back on in the middle of 4 phone calls. I think that may be a proximity sensor issue though so I'm waiting until 8.1 to see if it gets fixed before bringing it into the store.

This is one of the buggiest iPhone releases I've seen. I know major OS updates usually have issues but this has been particularly bad.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's somewhere on your iCloud keychain. If you want the nuke-it-from-orbit solution just open the Keychain Access app on your Mac (making a giant assumption that you have one), go to iCloud -> Passwords, and just delete the entry.

If you don't have a Mac, just try to "forget" across every device.

I kinda wish that for this one link on the keychain, Apple would give the ability to disable it. Like you, sometimes I don't want/need my iDevices talking to a wifi network that my computer auto-connects to.
Thing is, it's not a "login" so much as a page that loads up with an Agree button. Keychain isn't being used for anything. So it's not going to be stored in there. (And it isn't.) I need to block it from ever connecting to a network with a certain name.

If I reset Network settings, what would that do? What would I have to re-setup? In the olden days it would always ask me if I wanted to connect and would not connect if I said no. Now it connects every time it's available killing my internet until I open a Safari page to login. But then becomes useless when the screen is off because it then logs out requiring a login again. And the whole process is so long and painful and the internet is slow and filtered.

So right now I just get in a habit of turning WiFi and BT off when I get to work.

You know what would be a handy Continuity feature? Copy paste across devices.
What I want is Handoff between apps and browser.

Like Twitter iOS app to Safari web page. YouTube iOS app to Safari web page. Pretty much all apps that have websites need to let me open them on my browser. Else it's half useless because so many people use apps on iOS but the website on their computer.

And no, the solution is not to fucking make website apps for OS X. I don't want a YouTube app on my computer just like I don't use a Twitter app on my computer. (Though I understand why people do.)

Hopefully Handoff and Continuity will be fleshed out and tweaked and expanded in time.

GWX

Like Twitter iOS app to Safari web page. YouTube iOS app to Safari web page. Pretty much all apps that have websites need to let me open them on my browser. Else it's half useless because so many people use apps on iOS but the website on their computer.

And no, the solution is not to fucking make website apps for OS X. I don't want a YouTube app on my computer just like I don't use a Twitter app on my computer. (Though I understand why people do.)

Hopefully Handoff and Continuity will be fleshed out and tweaked and expanded in time.

I remember reading some documentation about Handoff where it said that what you just described is very much possible, and it's up to the developer. I hope that we see some implementations of app/webpage interoperability with handoff soon.

Thing is, it's not a "login" so much as a page that loads up with an Agree button. Keychain isn't being used for anything. So it's not going to be stored in there. (And it isn't.) I need to block it from ever connecting to a network with a certain name.

If I reset Network settings, what would that do? What would I have to re-setup? In the olden days it would always ask me if I wanted to connect and would not connect if I said no. Now it connects every time it's available killing my internet until I open a Safari page to login. But then becomes useless when the screen is off because it then logs out requiring a login again. And the whole process is so long and painful and the internet is slow and filtered.

So right now I just get in a habit of turning WiFi and BT off when I get to work.

Pocket and News360 on iOS have already implemented this. If you are reading an article in Pocket, it pops up the Handoff icon on my Mac with a Safari page for the article that I am reading.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Pocket and News360 on iOS have already implemented this. If you are reading an article in Pocket, it pops up the Handoff icon on my Mac with a Safari page for the article that I am reading.
That's interesting. So it's possible? If only more debs would implement it. I'd like to open a Twitter or FaceBook page on my Safari and have it go directly to where I am. If only Handoff sent the scroll position too. Same with YouTube between devices. It's annoying enough transferring YT context between OS X and iOS is annoying and impossible between ios and OS X. google needs to fix this.

The question is can apps tell what safari page is open or does it only work ios to OS X?

Daffy Duck

Getting really annoyed now with wi-fi on my 5s going really slow.

Sometimes the symbol just disappears other times on GAF I hit reply and Safari says the page cannot be loaded.

Other sites take an age to load, tried 8.8.8.8 DNS and now even that goes slow, I know it's not my internet as I can jump onto laptop and download something at full speed.

There is also an issue that my phone just drops signal and says no service, happens to my GF as well. This update really is pretty shot.

Christopher

Hey guys how come my phone doesn't recognize me as the owner their use to be me symbol next to my contact profile now it's not there any longer

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I tested my battery life yesterday with WiFi and BlueTooth kept on at work and made it home with 1% battery left. So I think I'm going to just keep my habit of disabling both of them when I leave the house instead of trying to figure out how to block certain networks. With them off I get down to maybe 40-60% left by the time I leave. 1% is just terrible.

32GB iPad, iOS 8.0.2, storage is now less than 300mb....

2014-10-12_ipadstorage.png

I'm tired of having storage magically disappear on my iOS devices.

Edit: Even the "5.14GB of OTHER" seems like an underestimate. Says I have 92 photos in Settings but Photo.app has only 90. Oh and my iPhone says I have 100 songs downloaded but it isn't even showing Music in the usage settings.

This has happened reliably since iOS 6. I hate this storage crap.

Edit: Even the "5.14GB of OTHER" seems like an underestimate. Says I have 92 photos in Settings but Photo.app has only 90. Oh and my iPhone says I have 100 songs downloaded but it isn't even showing Music in the usage settings.

Are you going go show which apps those storage are for?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Are you sure that's not the app size? Delete some apps you don't need. Or try to find an older version of PhoneClean (Before they required payment. )and delete the caches of some apps. Show us what the apps are. Don't just complain without clarification.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It USED to be. The old version isn't fully compatible with the new phones, and the new one isn't a product, but a service, and annual service.

Fuck that shit.
The old one I have still works with my 5C. Does the 6 not work twitch it now?

And yeah. Fuck their yearly fee. If something better ever came along I'd be all over it. I wish iOS had the simple feature of erasing caches built in though. And that goddamned "Other" section that you can't tell what is included in it because it's apparently not part of the caches. WTF is "Other" anyway? It's annoying that it takes 2GB of my 13GB of space and keeps coming along with backup restorations.

Are you going go show which apps those storage are for?

No.

Are you sure that's not the app size? Delete some apps you don't need. Or try to find an older version of PhoneClean (Before they required payment. )and delete the caches of some apps. Show us what the apps are. Don't just complain without clarification.

Those are all of my apps, and they are taking up all of my storage. If you add them up, they don't come close to the amount of storage that is supposed to exist on my iPad. Not even close. That's literally all that is installed, no music or videos or books, and my iPad is full.

I've had this problem several times before, but when I did a full restore mid iOS 7, the problem went away. Now it's back again.

There was a time when I had 0mb of space available on my phone with maybe 40 apps installed, no music, no photos, and no videos. I had to wipe my phone and start from scratch a day before a trip just to have storage to take some photos. It's been a mess.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The free edition of the most recent version works just fine in cleaning up stuff.
The latest version won't actually clean anything. After the scan, it tells you to pay in order for it to do anything. Pretty much worthless now.

Vyer

No.

Those are all of my apps, and they are taking up all of my storage. If you add them up, they don't come close to the amount of storage that is supposed to exist on my iPad. Not even close

IIRC a 32GB ipad is around 27GB of free space. Just those apps you are listing there is about 18GB. Add the 5GB you say is in "Other" and you're pretty close actually.

When you did the full restore in iOS7, did you do the restore as new or did you restore from backup?

Also, you might want to check your Safari cache/offline files, as that's one of the apps that still has the ability to clear a cache.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The latest version won't actually clean anything. After the scan, it tells you to pay in order for it to do anything. Pretty much worthless now.
That's why I keep the old one before they started charging. I almost purchased it until I saw it was a subscription. Shitty apps like that don't belong on OS X. The dev should be ashamed. There are better ways. It doesn't even clean that much.

That's why I keep the old one before they started charging. I almost purchased it until I saw it was a subscription. Shitty apps like that don't belong on OS X. The dev should be ashamed. There are better ways. It doesn't even clean that much.

You can buy a lifetime license for $29.99 for 1 computer or $39.99 for an unlimited amount of computers if you don't want to go the subscription route.

Edit: Looks like you need to go the $39 route to use on a Mac, but still an option if you don't want a subscription.

Edit 2: Looks like those are sale prices that end at 8 pm est tonight.

crmetteer

So both my boyfriends iphone 6 and my iPhone 6+ have our date and time set to automatic, but today they both showed today as being in February 2015. Our iPads are still showing the correct date. I manually set the date and time, but now all the stuff in on my iPhone calendar is gone. Any thoughts?
edit- disregard. My Verizon network extender is on the fritz. Once I unplugged it, my phone was able to get the correct time and date.

Health/Fitness Apps that don't support HealthKit can go the way of the Dodo.

Fitbit have been promising a UK food database for well over 2 years now. Their product and support is terribly bad. Doesn't surprise me they're saying they're not going to support HealthKit now. Curious that I did see their name attached to stories that said they would support it originally...

Vyer

Anyone else get the camera app crashing when they switch to slow-mo? Or after recording a time-lapse video?

No.

All these crashes you've been describing don't seem normal, even for the general bugginess of iOS 8.

Did they remove the version info from the Updates section in the App Store or is my phonoe glitching out?

I'm still seeing version numbers in updates for each app.

Top Bottom