• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Vyer

That's weird then

Yeah hmm. This is what I have

Tkan7SF.jpg

Erebus

I have version numbers. Maybe it's part of the language settings.
As you can see in my screenshot, I also had version numbers but they disappeared out of the blue in the latest app updates. I haven't changed any settings and I've tried rebooting my iPhone too

8byte

Banned
So after updating to iOS8, my phone all sorts of screwed up.

I am constantly prompted to log into iCloud / iTunes and Game Center. On top of that, my iMessages do not function properly. They won't send out, so I have to send as a text. Once a person responds to me I can send an iMessage, but they receive it via my iCloud emai, not my phone number. Any advice? Restore?

tmdorsey

So after updating to iOS8, my phone all sorts of screwed up.

I am constantly prompted to log into iCloud / iTunes and Game Center. On top of that, my iMessages do not function properly. They won't send out, so I have to send as a text. Once a person responds to me I can send an iMessage, but they receive it via my iCloud emai, not my phone number. Any advice? Restore?

Check "Send and Receive" in Messages settings in the settings app and see if your phone number is listed. If not, you may need to disable and renable iMessage.

number11

I don't know if this is an iOS or iphone 6 problem, but does anyone have wifi problems where your unable to connect? I can only reconnect if I restart the device.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
YouTube was updated? Fuck. Does it fix the shitty horribleness of the app on my iPad mini? (Non-Retina) Just trying to scan through the video is near impossible and the UI lagginess is unbearable.

YouTube was updated? Fuck. Does it fix the shitty horribleness of the app on my iPad mini? (Non-Retina) Just trying to scan through the video is near impossible and the UI lagginess is unbearable.

I don't know about it's performance on the iPad mini, but it doesn't fix any of the other generally shitty things about the YouTube app/interface. It's still a pretty horrible experience.

TimFL

Holy the facebook app looks good now on my iP6. I can finally see more than 1 post in my news feed.

+ you can now disable location services in the background for facebook now (not sure if you could in the previous versions)

Miyahon

Ever since upgrading my iPad Air to the latest version the wifi on it doesn't work correctly. It shows that it's connected but webpages don't load. The only way to fix it is to turn off wifi and turn it back on but it happens again when I use the iPad another time. I might have to do a restore. My iPhone 5S doesn't have this issue and I'm using an Airport Extreme that doesn't have issues with other wifi devices. Restarted cable modem and router doesn't fix the issue.

plastik

Ever since upgrading my iPad Air to the latest version the wifi on it doesn't work correctly. It shows that it's connected but webpages don't load. The only way to fix it is to turn off wifi and turn it back on but it happens again when I use the iPad another time. I might have to do a restore. My iPhone 5S doesn't have this issue and I'm using an Airport Extreme that doesn't have issues with other wifi devices. Restarted cable modem and router doesn't fix the issue.

This is a know issue with iOS8. I'm having the same problem with my Air and 5s. Are you using 5GHz on your router by chance? 2.4GHz seems to work better for now.

Ghazi

APPLE!

UELSiyv.png

It always just keeps getting bigger and bigger until I reset, and even then it starts with a gig of other. All from a New Phone restore. Really irritating.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
APPLE!

UELSiyv.png

It always just keeps getting bigger and bigger until I reset, and even then it starts with a gig of other. All from a New Phone restore. Really irritating.
Mine's up to 3GB now and doesn't even shrink after a reboot. All I wanna know is what the fuck is in that space! Is it cache? Is it required data? Does it belong to apps? To the OS? What the fuck is it? And why can't I clear it? It uses a huge percentage of my limited space!

RevoDS

Mine's up to 3GB now and doesn't even shrink after a reboot. All I wanna know is what the fuck is in that space! Is it cache? Is it required data? Does it belong to apps? To the OS? What the fuck is it? And why can't I clear it? It uses a huge percentage of my limited space!

I once had it take up to 8GB on my phone after I checked the "Convert to 256kbps AAC" option. Looking online, I found out that apparently syncing always leaves a few files behind, and if a sync fails to complete, you can be stuck with gigabytes of dead weight taking up space in "Other".

So that's most likely why it happens, and it explains why restoring entirely gives you most of the space back. What you don't get back is stuff like cache or data left behind or needed by apps or the OS (which includes messages and email, which does get heavy on space for many...)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I once had it take up to 8GB on my phone after I checked the "Convert to 256kbps AAC" option. Looking online, I found out that apparently syncing always leaves a few files behind, and if a sync fails to complete, you can be stuck with gigabytes of dead weight taking up space in "Other".

So that's most likely why it happens, and it explains why restoring entirely gives you most of the space back. What you don't get back is stuff like cache or data left behind or needed by apps or the OS
I had that happen once. I had to remove all my music then put it back on. At which point it all got put on with the wrong artwork (iOS 7.0 had just come out) so I had to remove it AGAIN and put it back on AGAIN. And since I only have 13GB of space I have to use AAC conversion since a lot of my music is MP3 so I have to wait a looooong time since it has to convert everything again. When I get a 64GB phone I'm not even going to bother using the conversion option.

Is it really related to that though? I can't remember how I discovered that the corrupted left behind music files were on there. I must have used a tool or something. Apparently it wasn't PhoneClean because the version I have now won't report anything as a failed sync file. I also remember PhoneClean couldn't remove them anyway which is why I had to do the removal.

Oh, I kind of remember. I had to use a program called iFunBox to perform a risky manual deletion which broke my iTunes database on my phone until I rebooted. (At which point it acted like it was a new iOS install and put the default files back) Somehow I noticed all the leftover files that didn't belong. I dunno. Such a bullshit bug.

Should I try the removal again? I got time to kill. I might as well. Fake edit: Nope. Removing the music actually made the Other slightly bigger. Fuck. This. Shit.

RevoDS

I had that happen once. I had to remove all my music then put it back on. At which point it all got put on with the wrong artwork (iOS 7.0 had just come out) so I had to remove it AGAIN and put it back on AGAIN. And since I only have 13GB of space I have to use AAC conversion since a lot of my music is MP3 so I have to wait a looooong time since it has to convert everything again. When I get a 64GB phone I'm not even going to bother using the conversion option.

Is it really related to that though? I can't remember how I discovered that the corrupted left behind music files were on there. I must have used a tool or something. Apparently it wasn't PhoneClean because the version I have now won't report anything as a failed sync file. I also remember PhoneClean couldn't remove them anyway which is why I had to do the removal.

Oh, I kind of remember. I had to use a program called iFunBox to perform a risky manual deletion which broke my iTunes database on my phone until I rebooted. (At which point it acted like it was a new iOS install and put the default files back) Somehow I noticed all the leftover files that didn't belong. I dunno. Such a bullshit bug.

Should I try the removal again? I got time to kill. I might as well. Fake edit: Nope. Removing the music actually made the Other slightly bigger. Fuck. This. Shit.

I edited while you were posting, just to add that Other also includes app data such as emails and text messages. If you're a heavy texter or email user, that might be it. Voice memos? Cache for the various apps and web browsers? That's all Other.

But seriously, I'm not really a fan of cleaning utilities. The best and only reliable way to get rid of that useless stuff is still to do a full backup, restore on iTunes and recover from the backup. It's a little time-consuming depending how much stuff you have, but it really does clear it up.

Case in point: I changed mine under warranty last week. Other is sitting at 1.29GB right now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I edited while you were posting, just to add that Other also includes app data such as emails and text messages. If you're a heavy texter or email user, that might be it. Voice memos? Cache for the various apps and web browsers? That's all Other.

But seriously, I'm not really a fan of cleaning utilities. The best and only reliable way to get rid of that useless stuff is still to do a full backup, restore on iTunes and recover from the backup. It's a little time-consuming depending how much stuff you have, but it really does clear it up.

Case in point: I changed mine under warranty last week. Other is sitting at 1.29GB right now.
I don't have nearly that much text messages. Though I wish it would separate that into its own section so you can tell what exactly takes what space. I'm sure voice memos (Of which I only have one) are placed under Music like Podcasts and Ringtones are for some goddamned stupid reason. And I've already cleaned all the caches of my browser-like apps and the total of which isn't anywhere near the 3.11GB I'm losing right now. I've done everything short of the reformat and restore option. And I haven't decided whether I want to do that tonight.

KingV

I don't get how Apple lets so much bugginess through their QA.

iOS 8 only works on like 10 devices, many of which are nearly identical apart from screen size. It's almost like they don't test things at all.

Safari might as well be single tabbed on my iPad 3rd generation. Basically every time you switch tabs it reloads everything.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Why did they remove the now playing icon in the status bar? I liked it.

Number45

I don't have nearly that much text messages. Though I wish it would separate that into its own section so you can tell what exactly takes what space.
Yup, this needs to happen. When "other" equates to multiple gigabytes of storage they need to give us diagnostic utilities to let us know how to deal with it.

Ashhong

How do we get the contact pictures to be full size when someone is calling? Right now I have the small bubble in the corner.

I use an app to sync the photos of my contacts with their facebook photos, and it used to give me full screen photos. Now its the bubble. I can only get full screen if i manually do it myself to each one..

mrkgoo

I know a large part of it is data relating to my synced photos, such as maps and face data etc.

Because if I removes my synced album (maybe a couple thousand images), I can lose upwards of 2 GB from other. IT's entirely possible all the photos I have on ym device and thumbnails and stuff are counted as "other".

I have a lot of photos. and if iPhoto and past apps are anything to go by, Apple will always store multiple copies of images at various sizes to improve browsing and performance of large numbers of images in the photos app.

IF anything, Real Abed, you probably have to just let go of your hangup to some extent about stuff like keeping a "clean" system, particularly on iOS where you can seldom do anything productive about it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How do we get the contact pictures to be full size when someone is calling? Right now I have the small bubble in the corner.

I use an app to sync the photos of my contacts with their facebook photos, and it used to give me full screen photos. Now its the bubble. I can only get full screen if i manually do it myself to each one..
Reapply the photo and it should be full screen again.

Miyahon

This is a know issue with iOS8. I'm having the same problem with my Air and 5s. Are you using 5GHz on your router by chance? 2.4GHz seems to work better for now.

Yes it happens on the 5GHz band but my 5S is also connected via the same connection too but doesn't have the same issue.

Zutroy

Bluetooth audio playback issue (where phone shows connection to device but still plays through iPhone speakers) still present in 8.1 =(

gamma

Does anyone have a problem with orientation? My 6 will randomly stop switching orientation until a restart or a random setting change. Really annoying. Pretty sure it's an iOS 8 problem.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Ugh, there are stupid things with the quick reply in message alerts in iOS 8 that are so frustrating, I hope Apple fixes them. Firstly, when you're writing a message and someone sends you another text it wipes out what you were writing. Secondly, if you're writing a message in quick reply there's no way to open the message app. Thirdly, in landscape there's barely any space to see what you're writing and (at least for me) when you run out of space it doesn't scroll down to show you what you're typing. Stuff is literally hidden away and I have no idea what I'm typing! It's so infuriating. I can't understand why it'd act that way, but then again I'm coming from BiteSMS which did it really well.

AudioNoir

Banned
I'd just like to be able to watch YouTube videos on my phone again :( No idea how that got wiped out with 8.2. Deleted and reinstalled the YT app, nothing helped. Wah.

Next step is a reset, but ffffff I hate having to resort to that.

Soybean

Does anyone have a problem with orientation? My 6 will randomly stop switching orientation until a restart or a random setting change. Really annoying. Pretty sure it's an iOS 8 problem.
Yeah, I've had this issue and it was fixed upon reboot, so I'm also pretty sure it's an iOS 8 problem

Blackhead

Redarse
Ugh, there are stupid things with the quick reply in message alerts in iOS 8 that are so frustrating, I hope Apple fixes them. Firstly, when you're writing a message and someone sends you another text it wipes out what you were writing. Secondly, if you're writing a message in quick reply there's no way to open the message app. Thirdly, in landscape there's barely any space to see what you're writing and (at least for me) when you run out of space it doesn't scroll down to show you what you're typing. Stuff is literally hidden away and I have no idea what I'm typing! It's so infuriating. I can't understand why it'd act that way, but then again I'm coming from BiteSMS which did it really well.

Do you have an iPhone 4S?

iOS has really shitty cache management. Especially if you stream itunes movies and music. It just sits there.

Yeah, I've had this issue and it was fixed upon reboot, so I'm also pretty sure it's an iOS 8 problem

Same here. iOS 8 is a buggy mess.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
iOS has really shitty cache management. Especially if you stream itunes movies and music. It just sits there.

Same here. iOS 8 is a buggy mess.
I don't srream movies from iTunes. But i did use iTunes radio for a while. I really wonder if that's all the music I streamed. Would be completely stupid though. How could I find out though. Even when I removed all my music from my phone it left countless empty randomly named folders in the iTunes library on there. I should have deleted it all.

Maybe I'll try a complete do over tomorrow. Restore from icloud instead of a backup and see what happens.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Either way I know this 3GB of "Other" isn't being backed up. Because my icloud still has a lot of empty space and not that much used. So hopefully starting fresh might help.

Edit: Shit. I hit edit. Not reply! Wtf?

Weird question but does anyone know how to make the Today Summary notifcation display the current temperature? I feel like it only does it sometimes, and I kind of like the sentence, but when I pull that down it's because I want to know how hot or cold it is outside, not what the high / low for the day will be or whether the sun is out. I've tried disabling / enabling location services, saving my location in the weather app, resetting, etc.

giga

Weird question but does anyone know how to make the Today Summary notifcation display the current temperature? I feel like it only does it sometimes, and I kind of like the sentence, but when I pull that down it's because I want to know how hot or cold it is outside, not what the high / low for the day will be or whether the sun is out. I've tried disabling / enabling location services, saving my location in the weather app, resetting, etc.
I just replaced it with weather underground (until weather line adds a widget). The sentence was too unpredictable.

qBD6FhP.png

Top Bottom