• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

I just replaced it with weather underground (until weather line adds a widget). The sentence was too unpredictable.

qBD6FhP.png

Have you been able to setup push alerts with Weather Underground? I've just been getting an error about the push server not being available for 2 weeks.

I just replaced it with weather underground (until weather line adds a widget). The sentence was too unpredictable.

qBD6FhP.png
Can I kill that graph? I like the today summary, I guess if I disable location services for Weather it'll just remove the sentence?

Having only an iPad Air (and a Macbook Air) and no iPhone makes me think I'm missing out on something. Can't write SMS from my Mac, can't do lots of shit with Continuity, can't enjoy many apps (that are not optimized for tablets yet)... :(

Blablurn

Having only an iPad Air (and a Macbook Air) and no iPhone makes me think I'm missing out on something. Can't write SMS from my Mac, can't do lots of shit with Continuity, can't enjoy many apps (that are not optimized for tablets yet)... :(

This is how they get you!

Go out and buy an iPhone!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there no way to set 'ask to buy' for adult with family sharing?I want to add my kids but over 13s count as adults so they can just buy anything. I want an easy way for them to buy things with my permission, rather than them coming to me and me typing my password on their ipad.

Seems pretty unusable as it is :(

coopolon

Family sharing is such a mess. It took me hours of logging in and out to get the organizers apps to show up in my iphone app store.

Now it is telling me apps are no longer shared with me so I go to re-download them but that doesn't fix it. It is now impossible for me to use most of the apps on my iPhone unless I log out of my Apple ID and into the organizers.

Strongly recommend waiting on family sharing for awhile until some of these bugs get ironed out.

bill0527

Finally, after several weeks I decided to update my 3rd gen ipad.

What a mistake. I need the Jack 'we have to go back' gif.

My browsing experience through Safari is just completely fucked now and quite a chore. Its slow and crashes a lot.

Fuck me. I knew better.

That said, it runs great on my iPhone 5.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finally, after several weeks I decided to update my 3rd gen ipad.

What a mistake. I need the Jack 'we have to go back' gif.

My browsing experience through Safari is just completely fucked now and quite a chore. Its slow and crashes a lot.

Fuck me. I knew better.

That said, it runs great on my iPhone 5.

Tried to update my daughters iPad mini through iTunes and it failed halfway through. If I've lost her save games I'm dead. Now updating my Mac to OSX Yosemite in the desperate hope that might help a tiny bit (had stayed on 10.7.5 as it was fine for my HTPC needs)

mrkgoo

Tried to update my daughters iPad mini through iTunes and it failed halfway through. If I've lost her save games I'm dead. Now updating my Mac to OSX Yosemite in the desperate hope that might help a tiny bit (had stayed on 10.7.5 as it was fine for my HTPC needs)
You have backups right?

Always have backups, but at the very least make one before updating OS.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay. So iTunes broke syncing with my iPhone to the point it was all fucked up. All I tried to do was remove stuff from it and it failed to sync, then pretended that the stuff was removed but it was still on the device and would not fix itself even after reboots and restarts.

So I decided to go through with the reset of the phone. Complete reset and reformat. Am now restoring from iCloud backup instead of iTunes backup because I don't trust it to not put that "Other" stuff back on my device. Which is the whole reason I did it anyway. I was up to 3.17GB now and it kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Soon I won't even be able to fit anything on the phone. So hopefully, HOPEFULLY this removed that shit. Hopefully that "Other" stuff wasn't somehow backed up and is now being put back on. HOPEFULLY it is fixed.

It is currently downloading all the apps. When it finishes everything I will put the music and stuff back on and cross my fingers that it's back to minimal "Other". Or else I'm gonna be really sad.

I just hope it didn't erase my text messages. Do those get backed up to iCloud? I really hope so.

mrkgoo

Okay. So iTunes broke syncing with my iPhone to the point it was all fucked up. All I tried to do was remove stuff from it and it failed to sync, then pretended that the stuff was removed but it was still on the device and would not fix itself even after reboots and restarts.

So I decided to go through with the reset of the phone. Complete reset and reformat. Am now restoring from iCloud backup instead of iTunes backup because I don't trust it to not put that "Other" stuff back on my device. Which is the whole reason I did it anyway. I was up to 3.17GB now and it kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Soon I won't even be able to fit anything on the phone. So hopefully, HOPEFULLY this removed that shit. Hopefully that "Other" stuff wasn't somehow backed up and is now being put back on. HOPEFULLY it is fixed.

It is currently downloading all the apps. When it finishes everything I will put the music and stuff back on and cross my fingers that it's back to minimal "Other". Or else I'm gonna be really sad.

I just hope it didn't erase my text messages. Do those get backed up to iCloud? I really hope so.

Messages should be saved to iCloud backup.

It's probably part of "other" lol.

Other stuff in sure are part of other are photo meta data and stuff. I've stopped worrying about what it really is. Even if orphaned install files or whatever. There's nothing that can be done really, aside from restore. Just do one every now and again.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Messages should be saved to iCloud backup.

It's probably part of "other" lol.

Other stuff in sure are part of other are photo meta data and stuff. I've stopped worrying about what it really is. Even if orphaned install files or whatever. There's nothing that can be done really, aside from restore. Just do one every now and again.
Okay. So anyway. After I finished my restore from iCloud and all the apps finished downloading, I plugged it into iTunes to sync all the rest of my stuff. What a nightmare. A complete broken as shit nightmare. It kept canceling my music sync partway through with no error as if nothing happened. But the database on the phone was complete. So it left empty entries in my music playlists that wouldn't play anything because nothing existed. And it keeps syncing all my books every time I sync. It deletes them all, then syncs them all back on for some goddamned reason. The music problem was the worst though. I had to actually uncheck all Music. Use iFunBox to delete the iTunes media folder directly from the phone. Reboot the phone to make it recreate the database empty. Then resync it to get it to put all the music back on.

And after all that, I went from 3.17GB of Other to 1.85GB.

I also did go through my messages and deleted any big images and videos (Which wasn't really much in the end. No where near a GB at all.) and cleaned up some old threads.

As I said in the Yosemite thread, I don't know why they can't break down Other for us. List everything it consists of. Messages, attachments, caches, everything else. Just break it down for us! When we hover, show a detailed list of stuff.

John_B

Can non-native English speaking people confirm that the family shared calendar, reminder and photo album are all named "Family", and not "family" in your native language? Weird decision if so.

Ambitious

As I finally got Handoff to work, I'd like to keep Blueooth turned on all the time. My 5S supports BLE, so the battery drain shouldn't be that bad, right?

mrkgoo

Okay. So anyway. After I finished my restore from iCloud and all the apps finished downloading, I plugged it into iTunes to sync all the rest of my stuff. What a nightmare. A complete broken as shit nightmare. It kept canceling my music sync partway through with no error as if nothing happened. But the database on the phone was complete. So it left empty entries in my music playlists that wouldn't play anything because nothing existed. And it keeps syncing all my books every time I sync. It deletes them all, then syncs them all back on for some goddamned reason. The music problem was the worst though. I had to actually uncheck all Music. Use iFunBox to delete the iTunes media folder directly from the phone. Reboot the phone to make it recreate the database empty. Then resync it to get it to put all the music back on.

And after all that, I went from 3.17GB of Other to 1.85GB.

I also did go through my messages and deleted any big images and videos (Which wasn't really much in the end. No where near a GB at all.) and cleaned up some old threads.

As I said in the Yosemite thread, I don't know why they can't break down Other for us. List everything it consists of. Messages, attachments, caches, everything else. Just break it down for us! When we hover, show a detailed list of stuff.

Sounds like a mess. But I agree, I wish I could also see. Perhaps not on a hover, but someway, like a hidden power user feature.

Or better yet, just havens smarter system for clearing cache files and other in-needed stuff.

mrkgoo

As I finally got Handoff to work, I'd like to keep Blueooth turned on all the time. My 5S supports BLE, so the battery drain shouldn't be that bad, right?
I always had BT turned off for power saving, but my understanding is that modern implementations of BT are really quite low power. So ive been leaving it on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You have backups right?

Always have backups, but at the very least make one before updating OS.

it wouldn't let me make a physical backup. Kept running out of space on the device, which didn't make any sense to me.

It had an icloud backup though which I've restored from. photos and apps all seem to be restored, but I don't know whether it restores save games? Fingers crossed.

You shouldn't have to make tethered backups these days. Hate having USB cables dangling out of my PC and having to use itunes generally.

What is the difference between
- icloud backup
- wifi sync through itunes
- connect via itunes and sync (which should create a backup)
- connect via itunes and manually force a backup

When not in use, the draw is almost negligible. I feel like my battery on my 6 Plus has been draining faster since I began using Continuity, however. It's connected at random times. I could have been just using my phone more, however.

I installed it on my 6 Plus. Setup ApplePay, but only one of my 3 credit or debit cards are currently supported (get with it PNC and US Bank!). Other than that haven't had much time to try anything else out besides the iCloud Photo Library beta.

mrkgoo

it wouldn't let me make a physical backup. Kept running out of space on the device, which didn't make any sense to me.

It had an icloud backup though which I've restored from. photos and apps all seem to be restored, but I don't know whether it restores save games? Fingers crossed.

You shouldn't have to make tethered backups these days. Hate having USB cables dangling out of my PC and having to use itunes generally.

What is the difference between
- icloud backup
- wifi sync through itunes
- connect via itunes and sync (which should create a backup)
- connect via itunes and manually force a backup

weird, backups are stored on your mac so the space on the device should be irrelevant...I would think. I've never operated a device so close to full capacity though to know.

There are differences between methods of backing up, for example, you have control over what is backed up in iCloud, but via iTunes, it's basically every non-synced, non-redownloaded data (such as apps themselves, synced photos). Save data for most appss should be retained in both methods of backup.

Connect via iTunes and sync will NOT make a backup if you have iCloud backup turned on, but you can force a manual backup. The manual backup will also include the things you flagged to not back up in iCloud (I presume - I choose not to backup up photos in my iCloud backup, but having done a restore recently from my manual, they're all there).

Since a few minutes, iTunes just gives me an error message about not being able to connect to the update server. According to Twitter, I'm not the only one.

I get this error too.

probably network congestion, or propagation depending where you are.

Ambitious

Downloaded it, SMS and instant hotspot both work (was doin' it wrong)

SMS Relay doesn't work for me. Apparently it should automatically ask for a code which should be displayed on the Mac. Mine didn't ask, so I had to manually enable SMS Relay. Now it is indeed asking for the code, but my Mac doesn't show me one.

MoodyFog

SMS Relay doesn't work for me. Apparently it should automatically ask for a code which should be displayed on the Mac. Mine didn't ask, so I had to manually enable SMS Relay. Now it is indeed asking for the code, but my Mac doesn't show me one.

I was using my mac, and it told me something like "you can now send and receive SMS texts on your Mac", and I had a choice to activate it or not. I chose activate, and then it said that I needed to put a 6 digit code on my iPhone, and a few seconds later I indeed got a message on my phone asking to enter a code.

Maybe try reseting both devices?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sounds like a mess. But I agree, I wish I could also see. Perhaps not on a hover, but someway, like a hidden power user feature.

Or better yet, just havens smarter system for clearing cache files and other in-needed stuff.
I just want to be able to see which part of Other is cache that doesn't belong and which is actually part of the important files needed.

Does album artwork belong to the Music portion or is it included in Other?

What about other databases that might be big?

Do app caches get included in Apps or in the Other section too? Because when I clear caches with PhoneClean, it doesn't ever touch Other. Not that it's ever that much space used.

For all I know, that 1.85GB used now might be files that aren't cache. But you can't tell. What was in the other 1.4GB that I lost? Was that cache? It's gone now. Was it failed syncs? Will it come back? Probably. iTunes needs a goddamned rewrite. And I mean a full rewrite like Photos. Not just another UI redesign. A rewrite for the 21st century that makes it work well for both Mac and PC. A rewrite that puts control in the cloud instead of tethering people to their computers. A total rewrite for the internet age. I posted my thoughts in the iTunes 12 thread actually. I want to believe Apple has a secret team doing this right now like they did for iPhoto's replacement. Maybe they'll unveil it at next WWDC...

Or maybe we'll just be stuck with shitty iTunes for the next decade.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I just want to be able to see which part of Other is cache that doesn't belong and which is actually part of the important files needed.

Does album artwork belong to the Music portion or is it included in Other?

What about other databases that might be big?

Do app caches get included in Apps or in the Other section too? Because when I clear caches with PhoneClean, it doesn't ever touch Other. Not that it's ever that much space used.

For all I know, that 1.85GB used now might be files that aren't cache. But you can't tell. What was in the other 1.4GB that I lost? Was that cache? It's gone now. Was it failed syncs? Will it come back? Probably. iTunes needs a goddamned rewrite. And I mean a full rewrite like Photos. Not just another UI redesign. A rewrite for the 21st century that makes it work well for both Mac and PC. A rewrite that puts control in the cloud instead of tethering people to their computers. A total rewrite for the internet age. I posted my thoughts in the iTunes 12 thread actually. I want to believe Apple has a secret team doing this right now like they did for iPhoto's replacement. Maybe they'll unveil it at next WWDC...

Or maybe we'll just be stuck with shitty iTunes for the next decade.

Some examples of what Other entails:

1. Calendar entries
  2. Contact photos
  3. Browser cache
  4. Mail cache
  5. Mail messages
  6. Mail attachments
  7. Safari's Reading List
  8. Crud resulting from jailbreaking your device
  9. Game cache data/IAP DLC
  10. Saved data files
  11. Call history
  12. Notes
  13. Media
  14. Voice memos

Ambitious

Finally got SMS Relay to work. Or rather, it's enabled. Whether it's actually working... let's see.

I logged out of iMessage on my phone. When I logged back in again, my phone number was linked to iMessage. Previously, only my Apple ID was used for iMessage. Apparently now I can decide which one is used? I have no idea what this entails.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Finally got SMS Relay to work. Or rather, it's enabled. Whether it's actually working... let's see.

I logged out of iMessage on my phone. When I logged back in again, my phone number was linked to iMessage. Previously, only my Apple ID was used for iMessage. Apparently now I can decide which one is used? I have no idea what this entails.

It's been an option for awhile. It's basically going to be what iMessage transmits as the sender. Pick the one you're most comfortable having as your main contact for iCloud members (as opposed to, say, people you're comfortable giving your phone number to.)

For iMessages, I send with my @icloud.com account. Just seemed to make the most since even though my phone number is an option on my Mac and iPad, it only really makes any kind of contextual sense on my iPhone.

Ambitious

It's been an option for awhile. It's basically going to be what iMessage transmits as the sender. Pick the one you're most comfortable having as your main contact for iCloud members (as opposed to, say, people you're comfortable giving your phone number to.)

For iMessages, I send with my @icloud.com account. Just seemed to make the most since even though my phone number is an option on my Mac and iPad, it only really makes any kind of contextual sense on my iPhone.

If I were to switch to the phone number now, what would happen to existing conversations if I were to get a new number at some point? Would I be able to continue in the same thread, or would iMessage create a new one? What about the recipient's device?

edit: By the way, existing SMS messages not being synced to the iMessage app on the Mac is a huge letdown.

xsarien

daedsiluap
If I were to switch to the phone number now, what would happen to existing conversations if I were to get a new number at some point? Would I be able to continue in the same thread, or would iMessage create a new one? What about the recipient's device?

edit: By the way, existing SMS messages not being synced to the iMessage app on the Mac is a huge letdown.

In theory, if they have your icloud.com address in their contact sheet for you, the thread *shouldn't* be interrupted.

In theory.

To be honest, I've never really tried it to see what would happen. :p

AngryMoth

Am I crazy or does photo management completely suck on apple devices?

I took about 1000 photos this summer on my iPhone since my camera got stolen while I was traveling in south america and moving them around between different devices has been such a hassle. First of all there is no way to import photos by album into iPhoto on mac so I had to reorganise all them.

Now I have a new phone but I don't have access to the computer where I backed them up. No problem I thought, they're on my iPad so I should be able to just put them all into iCloud and then download them from there. The process for which is thus: manually select every photo (there is no selection all button!) and publish each album as a photo stream on my iPad, then manually select them all again on my phone and save to camera roll, then create a new album and manually select each photo AGAIN from the camera roll to add them to the album.

Before I go through with this please someone tell me I'm missing something obvious.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Some examples of what Other entails:

1. Calendar entries
  2. Contact photos
  3. Browser cache
  4. Mail cache
  5. Mail messages
  6. Mail attachments
  7. Safari's Reading List
  8. Crud resulting from jailbreaking your device
  9. Game cache data/IAP DLC
  10. Saved data files
  11. Call history
  12. Notes
  13. Media
  14. Voice memos
I never considered Reading List. I hate that there's no option to disable offline mode. I never use it. I just want the link there for easy access. Maybe I'll try deleting some and moving others to bookmarks. Though I have deleted the cache before in settings. But it always puts it back. So I'll try actually cleaning up my list when I get home. Still in only using 348MB. So there's still other stuff there.

If I delete all my email will it erase the cache? I use Gmail but the built in app. Is it caching all the messages I tap on? I'll delete some email again tonight too.

Top Bottom