• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

DarkJC

Yeah I think the "Other" data would be less frustrating for people if they could see it broken down into a list like Tunesmith's post. I know that eventually you need some kind of catch-all category for shit like OS caches and temporary files, but seeing more categories like Mail, Calendar, Safari, App Saved Data, etc. would be nice.

This generation I just took the nuclear option and got a 128GB device. Now it could use 10 GB for Other and I really wouldn't care.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I put the tips app in a folder when I loaded my backup onto the iPhone 6 and forgot about it completely. I guess I turned off notifications? I never opened the app and it's never tried to give me tips about anything.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I never considered Reading List. I hate that there's no option to disable offline mode. I never use it. I just want the link there for easy access. Maybe I'll try deleting some and moving others to bookmarks. Though I have deleted the cache before in settings. But it always puts it back. So I'll try actually cleaning up my list when I get home. Still in only using 348MB. So there's still other stuff there.

If I delete all my email will it erase the cache? I use Gmail but the built in app. Is it caching all the messages I tap on? I'll delete some email again tonight too.
I'd put the Mail to sync a limited amount of emails (week or month) rather than deleting though personally. It'll keep the mailbox size on the phone fairly small.

Already experienced animation lag and failing multitasking gestures within seconds after updating my iPad 4th gen. Come the fuck on, Apple.

It's pretty normal to experience lag and jitters just after an update, the Spotlight search index is wiped when you update so the device is re-indexing for a while afterwards.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd put the Mail to sync a limited amount of emails (week or month) rather than deleting though personally. It'll keep the mailbox size on the phone fairly small.
I don't deal with mail much except for newsletters and confirmations. And I move any email I want to keep to "On My Mac" every once in a while to clear it from the Gmail server. And only use my iCloud email for YouTube notifications which I delete pretty much immediately as soon as I see the notice. So my email rarely takes near 10MB at all on iCloud at all or even on Gmail. (I even delete everything EVERYTHING from Archive as soon as I finish cleaning my Inbox.) So it's not email at all.

I also removed some of the bigger Reading List entries and cleared up some more space. Though not a huge amount. Side note: I really REALLY wish they'd put in options to NOT download saved pages. Not everyone needs an offline cache. I use it for temporary link storage, not light reading for later when I'm not on WiFi. So I'd rather save a few hundred MB on all my devices by not having this happen. It makes the larger links really take up a nice chunk of space. Like if I save one of Siracusa's OS X reviews. At least give me an option for iOS.

I have it down to 1.5GB now. So something I'm doing is helping.

Really wish I could tell how much is taken by other stuff. Like the calendar entries. Surely that couldn't take that much. Though I do have it set to sync all events forever and ever. So I'll change that to 2 weeks and see if it changes anything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there no way to cleanup mail? It just seems to get bigger and bigger. If I archive a mail and then need to go to all mail to check later, it downloads lots of mails. I'd like a way to just delete the local cache of 'all mail' - that would probably reduce my mail storage usage by 90%

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I don't deal with mail much except for newsletters and confirmations. And I move any email I want to keep to "On My Mac" every once in a while to clear it from the Gmail server. And only use my iCloud email for YouTube notifications which I delete pretty much immediately as soon as I see the notice. So my email rarely takes near 10MB at all on iCloud at all or even on Gmail. (I even delete everything EVERYTHING from Archive as soon as I finish cleaning my Inbox.) So it's not email at all.

I also removed some of the bigger Reading List entries and cleared up some more space. Though not a huge amount. Side note: I really REALLY wish they'd put in options to NOT download saved pages. Not everyone needs an offline cache. I use it for temporary link storage, not light reading for later when I'm not on WiFi. So I'd rather save a few hundred MB on all my devices by not having this happen. It makes the larger links really take up a nice chunk of space. Like if I save one of Siracusa's OS X reviews. At least give me an option for iOS.

I have it down to 1.5GB now. So something I'm doing is helping.

Really wish I could tell how much is taken by other stuff. Like the calendar entries. Surely that couldn't take that much. Though I do have it set to sync all events forever and ever. So I'll change that to 2 weeks and see if it changes anything.

Some of 'Other' will always be part of your backup as well, the delta changes that occurs between iCloud backups are stored locally in preparation of backup sync. You won't get rid of that unless you turn off backing up large things like camera roll and video from apps etc.

is there no way to cleanup mail? It just seems to get bigger and bigger. If I archive a mail and then need to go to all mail to check later, it downloads lots of mails. I'd like a way to just delete the local cache of 'all mail' - that would probably reduce my mail storage usage by 90%

Temporarily set your mail to just sync 1 day, refresh the mail app and it'll delete all mails older than that from your device (while retaining them online), then re-extend your sync range again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Temporarily set your mail to just sync 1 day, refresh the mail app and it'll delete all mails older than that from your device (while retaining them online), then re-extend your sync range again.

ooh, thanks. I wouldn't have guessed that would delete older ones.

Some of 'Other' will always be part of your backup as well, the delta changes that occurs between iCloud backups are stored locally in preparation of backup sync. You won't get rid of that unless you turn off backing up large things like camera roll and video from apps etc.

Does this work for Gmail accounts? As I cant for the life of me find where the sync options are to change the days in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars settings.

I'm back from the department store. I've finally tried out the iPhone 6 (which I was very interested in) and I think I'm gonna pass.

The iPhone 6 is larger than the previous iPhone and it's a good thing (I always refused to buy one due to the small size, prior to the 6's reveal) , but even though the phone was just as big as my Samsung Galaxy S4, the screen was smaller. That's too small for me. There were a couple iPhone 5Cs next to it and they were even smaller. I can't believe Apple consumers put up with such tiny screen sizes. I can't even imagine what using the iPhone 4 was like. So yeah, iPhone 6 was out of the question.

Luckily, there was also an iPhone 6 Plus on display so I tried it out, too. The screen had just the right size (I can't believe I've got accustomed to such big screens, which would have made me laugh two years ago) but the frame started to be kind of huge - no big deal, though. So I started to consider buying a 6 Plus in the future, until I saw the price: €809 for the 16 Gb version. Seriously? 16 Gb is nothing with HD content and OS updates.

As a result, I became interested in the 64 Gb version but it costs €919. Sorry but NOPE. As much as I love Apple and its commitment to excellence, this is crazy. I truly believe they make superior hardware (and their software isn't too bad, now with iOS 8.1) but it can't be €450 better than, say, a OnePlus One. I think I'm gonna stick to Android for much longer than expected - and Android finally seems to be decent/mature enough with Lollipop, so that's even less reasons to switch.

Too bad, because I already had a MacBook Air and an iPad Air so it would have made sense to invest in a 100% Apple ecosystem. For my iPad I had a little bit of extra cash and it wasn't that much more expensive than top-tier Android tablets anyway, but the iPhone prices are off-limits, in my opinion. If I had to replace my phone today, I would choose between a OnePlus One (great price), the new Moto X (great overall reviews) or the Nexus 5 (dat long-term support).

I just got an iPad Mini with Retina. It's pretty good so far, but I'm trying to avoid having to use iTunes in any way shape or form. Is there an app that I can download that works like Airdroid on Android? Basically where my iPad can connect to my PC and I can drag and drop or just transfer files through wi-fi? This is very important :(

I just got an iPad Mini with Retina. It's pretty good so far, but I'm trying to avoid having to use iTunes in any way shape or form. Is there an app that I can download that works like Airdroid on Android? Basically where my iPad can connect to my PC and I can drag and drop or just transfer files through wi-fi? This is very important :(

You may want to try this out. I haven't personally used it, but it seems to be the most prominent option out there.

http://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager.php

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Oh wow, that was quick. Waiting to try it out though.

Edit: response from Saurik in the comments:
So, windknown has contacted me, about a half hour ago, via e-mail. He has told me one of the issues that is keeping Substrate from working on the device, which will probably require me to build a little binary patch for dyld as part of the Substrate installation sequence. This was the worst possible day for me, as I'm traveling back to Santa Barbara today (I'm currently in Texas, having come here to give a talk at The Big Android BBQ), which means this will take me a little longer than I'd like, but clearly getting Cydia and Substrate working on iOS 8 is my highest priority. I thankfully think that I actually can start working a little on one of the Substrate issues using an iOS 7 "model" based on the information provided by windknown, which means I'll lose less time to not having all of my devices with me. (I currently have no clue why Cydia itself is not functioning, but will find out later today when I can see it myself.)

So obviously no Cydia yet, no rush to jailbreak for anyone other than experienced developers really.

anyone else having trouble downloading apps on their devices? i've tried multiple apps, and like 80% were unsuccessful. my home screen just says 'waiting...' and then the download attempt stops.

connected wifi
iphone 6+
ios 8.1

I don't see text forwarding in Messages.

Help?

I think it shows up under Settings, but only if you've logged into Messages with the same Apple ID on a Mac. I also think you have to have a phone number associated with your Apple ID. My phone number somehow got removed, so I wasn't able to get it to work until I fiddled quite a bit with logging in / logging out / enabling / disabling iMessage on both the Mac and the phone a few times. Eventually it stuck.

I think it shows up under Settings, but only if you've logged into Messages with the same Apple ID on a Mac. I also think you have to have a phone number associated with your Apple ID. My phone number somehow got removed, so I wasn't able to get it to work until I fiddled quite a bit with logging in / logging out / enabling / disabling iMessage on both the Mac and the phone a few times. Eventually it stuck.

Yep. I'm signed in using the same account/number on both my 2011 Mac and iPhone 5s. I don't see the text forwarding option

Yep. I'm signed in using the same account/number on both my 2011 Mac and iPhone 5s. I don't see the text forwarding option

Are WiFi and Bluetooth both on? I'm not even sure if they have to be, but that'd be the next thing I'd check. My googling when I was struggling with this was basically everyone just trying turning everything they could think of off and on again. So it's tough to say what actually works.

The option you'll be looking for kind of magically appears between the iMessage and Send Read Receipts toggles, whenever it does show up.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Did 8.1 add intertia to the volume and brightness sliders in Control Panel? I just noticed it and don't think it was there before.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
About 'other' data, is phoneclean worth using?
PhoneClean doesn't even touch Other much at all. Apparently a lot of it is stuff that isn't caches.

It is great for clearing out the hundreds of megs of cache browser apps like Safari, Tumblr, FaceBook and Twitter create.

And no, it's not free anymore. I still have an old version. 2.2.1. It bugs me every time I start it up asking me to update to 3.0. Ha. No. At least it doesn't automatically update me like MacDVDRipperPro did once causing me to have to restore an older version because the new version was a paid update and it literally tried to force me to pay them for a version with hardly any new features when the old version, which I already owned, still worked fine. That was a bullshit move. But it's still the best DVD ripping software I could get. Never. Ever. Automatically update a user across major versions when payment is required. That's just an asshole move.

And now I've taken this off topic.

Also: YouTube was finally updated to fix the stupid UI bug I posted about a few days ago. Thank goodness. Finally!

Nope. It lets you scan your phone, then tells you to subscribe if you actually want to clean it.

That's really sleazy

PhoneClean doesn't even touch Other much at all. Apparently a lot of it is stuff that isn't caches.

It is great for clearing out the hundreds of megs of cache browser apps like Safari, Tumblr, FaceBook and Twitter create.

And no, it's not free anymore. I still have an old version. 2.2.1. It bugs me every time I start it up asking me to update to 3.0. Ha. No. At least it doesn't automatically update me like MacDVDRipperPro did once causing me to have to restore an older version because the new version was a paid update and it literally tried to force me to pay them for a version with hardly any new features when the old version, which I already owned, still worked fine. That was a bullshit move. But it's still the best DVD ripping software I could get. Never. Ever. Automatically update a user across major versions when payment is required. That's just an asshole move.

And now I've taken this off topic.

Also: YouTube was finally updated to fix the stupid UI bug I posted about a few days ago. Thank goodness. Finally!

If Phoneclean doesn't do much than I can't be bothered about thinking of others, I just hope it doesn't end up being 10gb worth of trash. It's currently at 2.5gb, I think that's not too bad. Right?

xsarien

daedsiluap

Are you allowing Messages to receive from your phone number? Reading the different experiences here is so weird. The minute I had 8.1 and Yosemite installed, and then started Messages, I got a dialogue asking if I wanted to start the relay.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If Phoneclean doesn't do much than I can't be bothered about thinking of others, I just hope it doesn't end up being 10gb worth of trash. It's currently at 2.5gb, I think that's not too bad. Right?
I was up to 3GB after having grown quickly over a few days. I had to backup, reset and restore from an iCloud backup to get it down to 1.5GB.

It was in this very thread actually.

mrkgoo

I was up to 3GB after having grown quickly over a few days. I had to backup, reset and restore from an iCloud backup to get it down to 1.5GB.

It was in this very thread actually.

Did you ever try restoring to new phone and applying a back up from iTunes during setup? I've NOT "restore from backup" straight from iTunes?

I still like to think those are different. I always clear some space doing it that way. I don't fully trust iCloud backup. Especially since I don't get my photos back since I have to turn that off.

mrkgoo

My other is currently at 3GB.

If I remove an album I have synced from aperture (around 1500 images) it will drop to under 1GB.

This means it's either the images themselves or associated data, such as faces database, places information, thumbnail versions etc.

My point is that the other contains all sorts of other files that may or may not need for user experience.

My general advice is to ice up on the notion that you are buying a particular exact storage amount, ignore the base tier and just have room to work with. If other blooms to beyond manageable, such as several GB or more then try a restore to clean and reapply a backup, either iCloud or iTunes (don't just do straight restore from backup on an unrestored phone).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
My other is currently at 3GB.

If I remove an album I have synced from aperture (around 1500 images) it will drop to under 1GB.

This means it's either the images themselves or associated data, such as faces database, places information, thumbnail versions etc.

My point is that the other contains all sorts of other files that may or may not need for user experience.

My general advice is to ice up on the notion that you are buying a particular exact storage amount, ignore the base tier and just have room to work with. If other blooms to beyond manageable, such as several GB or more then try a restore to clean and reapply a backup, either iCloud or iTunes (don't just do straight restore from backup on an unrestored phone).
Picture metadata and thumbnails etc are "Other" yes.

Erebus

Nope. It lets you scan your phone, then tells you to subscribe if you actually want to clean it.
I downloaded it and used it with my iPhone the other day. I was surprised at how easy it was to override the subscription but I'm probably not allowed to talk about it here.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How large is it now?
Still at 1.5GB for now.

I think they should include individual caches in with the individual groups. Music album art with music. Photo thumbnails with Photos. App caches with Apps. But subdivide it so the cache portions is a different shade of the color. I bet Other would shrink significantly if you could tell what was in it.

undecided

iOS 8.1 has me hating my iPhone 6+

It is constantly having core apps like settings stop working, Internet connectivity dropping out, locking up entirely, and it even stopped charging earlier today until I did a hard reset. On top of that the battery life seems much worse.

I never really had any significant issues prior to the update.

Still at 1.5GB for now.

I think they should include individual caches in with the individual groups. Music album art with music. Photo thumbnails with Photos. App caches with Apps. But subdivide it so the cache portions is a different shade of the color. I bet Other would shrink significantly if you could tell what was in it.

That would definitely be much better, so long as it doesn't exceed 3gb I'm cool with it

I think it's 2.5gb for me because I've got 2k songs on the phone
ib2prFi25kEdBe.png

mrkgoo

I see that 8.1 still hasn't fixed the "mute this conversation" switch in the messaging app. So annoying.

What's wrong with the switch? It doesn't work?

Mine asked me immediately as soon as I started up Yosemite/8.1, but I wasn't ready to do it io I left it, but then turned it on later. Now that you mention it, not sure where I turned this on. Or MAYbe I'm thinking of iCloud drive.

It works fine for me.

Do yo have "send as SMS" switched on? Not sure if you need to, but it might.

mrkgoo

I'm on an iPhone 5 and typing responses on neogaf occasionally I get a pretty heavy hang every now and again.

Like safari just freezes totally and the ony responsive thing is to hit home and come back in and ten it kills what I've typed.

I know early on on ios7, there wer some keyboard hangs that were similar. Hope this gets fixed.

Alright GAF, knowledge me up:

I'm in the UK and have an up-to-date 4S with T Mobile (EE). In the last week or so I've noticed that I've almost always had a low cellular signal, and today I've noticed that I can't seem to get any calls to connect (I don't use it as an actual phone all that much, y'see).

Now, I've tried reboots, removing and re-inserting the sim card and all that jazz, so the next step before raising this with tmobile and/or apple is a full restore from backup.

I've never done one of these, so what's the easiest and quickest way to do one? Also, how long would you expect the restore process to take? (it's a nearly-full 16GB)

Ta.

Top Bottom