• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Number45

I get something similar every now and again with 3, which is usually resolved with a restart or enabling/disabling data. :/

Personally I'd try to get hold of them before a restore, but I guess if your phone is essentially a brick you want something done sharpish. I'm not sure about EE, but 3 are usually pretty quick to respond to this kind of query via Twitter.

Do you have anyone else local on the same carrier that might be able to check to see if they're having similar issues, or maybe another phone that you can try the SIM with?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Having to enter the passcode whenever you swipe a notification on the lockscreen to open it its corresponding app is so annoying. Why not let me authenticate with TouchID instead?
When it asks for the password, does putting your finger on the home button not work in place of it? I was under the impression this was how it was supposed to work.

If not, then it's a pretty silly oversight for something built-in.

Ambitious

When it asks for the password, does putting your finger on the home button not work in place of it? I was under the impression this was how it was supposed to work.

If not, then it's a pretty silly oversight for something built-in.

Nooooooooo you quoted me
Yes, it does indeed work like that. Of course it does. But there's no visual indication of that, and I kinda never tried it.. I just assumed it would only work with the passcode instead of just trying.. God, this is so embarrassing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nooooooooo you quoted me
Yes, it does indeed work like that. Of course it does. But there's no visual indication of that, and I kinda never tried it.. I just assumed it would only work with the passcode instead of just trying.. God, this is so embarrassing.
Haha. Don't be embarrassed. I was going to edit that out just now but it might be good information for future internet visitors. It isn't clear enough, I'm sure others will have the same situation.

Ambitious

The blank page glitch in Safari is getting really annoying. Sometimes, I can see the content of a page in the tab overview, but when I tap it, it's just blank. On the other hand, sometimes I can see a page just fine, but when I open the tab overview, it's blank in this place instead.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Nooooooooo you quoted me

I'm just gonna hammer it in, because it's one of those days. :p

RjT8jyU.jpg

Sorry

Ambitious

Just noticed that the share extensions can also be enabled for the "Open in" menu. That's a bit redundant, isn't it? You can even set up two buttons for the same app (e.g. Evernote). One to send the current document to the app (that's the share extension) and one to open the current document in the app (that's the standard "Open in" button).

I'm just gonna hammer it in, because it's one of those days. :p

RjT8jyU.jpg

Sorry

Rub it in, I deserve it.

AndTAR

So this just came out: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/29/apple-nixes-calculator-widgets/
Apple is forcing popular iOS calculator app PCalc to remove its Notification Center widget, which allows users to access calculator functions directly from the "Today" view of the Notification Center. According to Apple, widgets on iOS are not allowed to perform any calculations.

I'm somewhat disappointed about this myself. I can understand the need to simplify the user experience (and apparently, keep the Today View free from virtually all interactivity) but I really thought this simple "quick calculator" was a legitimate use case for widgets. (Does make more sense if split-screen multitasking will actually get added, of course.)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Speaking of useful widgets, are there any must haves that came out in the week or two following ios 8 that weren't necessarily highlighted in all the wrap up articles?

Personal fave atm is Paste+, use it all the time as an imgur uploader.

Quick

Banned
I didn't realize this, but the Health app's been tracking my steps all day today. I don't think I enabled anything to do that.

GWX

Speaking of useful widgets, are there any must haves that came out in the week or two following ios 8 that weren't necessarily highlighted in all the wrap up articles?

Personal fave atm is Paste+, use it all the time as an imgur uploader.

Musixmatch's widget is pretty convenient when playing music from iOS's stock music app. Real-time lyrics on the fly, so cool,

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I didn't realize this, but the Health app's been tracking my steps all day today. I don't think I enabled anything to do that.
Just checked mine and it's the same for me, apparently it's been doing it since forever. I wasn't aware that this was the default behavior, I never even opened the app before today.

Number45

I really wish they'd get rid of the extra line when you have a device connected via hotspot. Turn the notification bar blue (and let it link to the hotspot page if you must, although I'd like to be able to turn that off so I can still tap it to go to the top of the page) by all means, but losing that extra line sucks on the 4S screen size. :(

What's worse is that some apps don't shift down when it's there, so you lose some of what's going on (I assume this is an app problem, as some are fine).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just checked mine and it's the same for me, apparently it's been doing it since forever. I wasn't aware that this was the default behavior, I never even opened the app before today.
It started tracking for me on September 1st, even before iOS 8 was out.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
When the iOS8 Jailbreak's had all its kinks worked out there'll be so many useful widgets being created. Apple will eventually reverse their decision and add them back in in iOS9 after everyone starts using them.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I thought that was the whole point of the motion co-processor. It's tracking all the time, and thus multiple apps can leverage that info rather than run in the background.

Yes, I was just pointing out it seems Apple turned on tracking of steps etc. on Sept. 1st, at least for me, while my iPhone was still on iOS 7.

DarkJC

I just would've presumed it has been tracking since the iPhone 5S came out with it last year.

Yeah, it has. By default the M7 would store a history of your steps (maybe a months worth?) so you could use that data when you got a new fitness app. Now with Health, there's a built in app that it logs to, but the functionality isn't new.

AndTAR

Good to see they reversed course there - it'll be interesting to see where the limit goes then, though. Calculators the maximum amount of interactivity allowed? Someone will probably cook up something crazy and submit it - I probably would, if I had my programming routines in better shape.

Apparently, YouTube has also reversed course on something iOS-relevant; They had been allowing ad-supported videos in HTML5 desktop mode (these were previously Flash exclusive, obviously), effectively phasing out Flash completely, but this has apparently been reversed now? (Back to the usual "Flash player required" screen.) Maybe they thought they had an Adblock-proof HTML5 video system, but then it got circumvented. Sad!

(From what I understand, this is also what keeps Spotify from going full HTML5 on web; DRM protection too limited in HTML5.)

Is there any particular reason my iPhone doesnt give me the 15 minute window to make purchases without putting the password in again?

It seems to want my finger print every single time now regardless of how many times I enter it.

The Restrictions settings in general shows as 15 minutes but it doesnt seem to work.

Ambitious

WiFi is still broken for me. It's usable (but still terrible) when I'm close to the router, but as soon as I'm too far from it, it slows to a crawl. When that happens, even 3G is faster.

I'm sure this is asked a lot, but what's the word on "Other" space? Do I need to do a full restore in order to clear it? And will I lose my texts if I do this?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm sure this is asked a lot, but what's the word on "Other" space? Do I need to do a full restore in order to clear it? And will I lose my texts if I do this?
It's at the top of this page if you use 100ppp. Top of the previous if you use 50ppp. And no you won't loss them. But remember that text messages are part of Other including any photos, audio or videos in them.

pronk420

does iOS avoid public wifi networks where you haven't signed into yet automatically, and fall back to data?

on android, every time i walk near a station or cafe with open wifi that i have used before, i lose data connection because my phone will connect to it, but it needs a web sign in so i can't actually use it. i could disable this by forgetting the wifi networks in the settings but i use them often enough for that to be annoying.

does iOS avoid public wifi networks where you haven't signed into yet automatically, and fall back to data?

on android, every time i walk near a station or cafe with open wifi that i have used before, i lose data connection because my phone will connect to it, but it needs a web sign in so i can't actually use it. i could disable this by forgetting the wifi networks in the settings but i use them often enough for that to be annoying.

I am pretty sure it will attempt to reconnect and then hang there waiting for your login, like what you described for Android.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I am pretty sure it will attempt to reconnect and then hang there waiting for your login, like what you described for Android.
Oh that's rubbish. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that this was fixed on ios 8 but I guess not
Ugh. This is so stupid. It's been my complaint forever too. The WiFi at work is shit. My 3G is usually faster than it. So I have to turn off WiFi when I get to work just to avoid it cutting me off completely. Not that I'd want to use the network since it can't even go 50 feet and doesn't reach the break room or the parking lot.

Now, the WiFi at the car dealership 200+ feet from the gas station I buy my gas at has super fast WiFi that always works amazingly well somehow every time I fill up. Seriously? Seriously. (It's separated from the station by a highway and a parking lot too.)

Ambitious

I wish it were possible to not only open Safari tabs from other devices, but move them between devices. It could work the same way as rearranging apps on the homescreen: Tap and hold a tab in the tab overview to "pick up" a tab, drag it to the section of the target device - usually the one you're using right now - and drop it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wish it were possible to not only open Safari tabs from other devices, but move them between devices. It could work the same way as rearranging apps on the homescreen: Tap and hold a tab in the tab overview to "pick up" a tab, drag it to the section of the target device - usually the one you're using right now - and drop it.
Well, you can close tabs on other devices from any other device. Including Macs. It's a two step instead of one, but it works.

I just wish that it would bring all information and tab history with it. Including currently filled in form information. Like if I am typing a reply to a thread here and I want to move from my iPhone to my Mac it would bring everything I've typed so far.

Ambitious

Well, you can close tabs on other devices from any other device. Including Macs. It's a two step instead of one, but it works.

Two steps, but four to five actions in total. Starting from the tab overview:
  • Tap tab from other device
  • Tap tab icon to open tab overview
  • Optionally: Scroll down to the section of the other device
  • Swipe to the left to reveal the "Delete" button
  • Tap it

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is too much work for me or anything like that. All I'm saying is directly moving them would be more convenient, and more importantly, more natural.

I just wish that it would bring all information and tab history with it. Including currently filled in form information. Like if I am typing a reply to a thread here and I want to move from my iPhone to my Mac it would bring everything I've typed so far.

Absolutely. Should work with both iCloud Tabs and Handoff.

Heel

Sorry if this has been asked, but how is the latest version running on the iPad 3 compared to iOS 7? Safe to update?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Two steps, but four to five actions in total. Starting from the tab overview:
  • Tap tab from other device
  • Tap tab icon to open tab overview
  • Optionally: Scroll down to the section of the other device
  • Swipe to the left to reveal the "Delete" button
  • Tap it

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is too much work for me or anything like that. All I'm saying is directly moving them would be more convenient, and more importantly, more natural.

Absolutely. Should work with both iCloud Tabs and Handoff.
Oh I agree fully. A move option (Long press perhaps?) would be great. Too bad Apple doesn't use long press too much. I suspect it's because it was born on Android. But it would be so convenient if they used it more often than just in a web browser view.

Tap to copy the tab to the current device. Long press for the option to move it to the current device. Problem solved.

I am glad they let you close tabs from anywhere though. That's a nice feature. Really nice. No longer do I need to grab my phone to manually close all the tabs I might have opened throughout the day after I've transferred them to my Mac. Then again, this problem could be alleviated if the initial complaint above was satisfied.

Ambitious

Oh I agree fully. A move option (Long press perhaps?) would be great. Too bad Apple doesn't use long press too much. I suspect it's because it was born on Android. But it would be so convenient if they used it more often than just in a web browser view.

That's kinda what I was describing in my original post. Long press + drag & drop

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ugh. This is so stupid. It's been my complaint forever too. The WiFi at work is shit. My 3G is usually faster than it. So I have to turn off WiFi when I get to work just to avoid it cutting me off completely. Not that I'd want to use the network since it can't even go 50 feet and doesn't reach the break room or the parking lot.

Now, the WiFi at the car dealership 200+ feet from the gas station I buy my gas at has super fast WiFi that always works amazingly well somehow every time I fill up. Seriously? Seriously. (It's separated from the station by a highway and a parking lot too.)

So what's preventing you from forgetting the work wifi and not using it?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So what's preventing you from forgetting the work wifi and not using it?
Because it occasionally connects for some reason and I'm tired of constantly forgetting it and the goddamned dialog that pops up asking me to connect. And I'm not going to be resetting my network settings all the time when I can easily just shut it off when I need to.

Now if only I could get rid of the "GPS works better when Wifi is on" message.

tmdorsey

Because it occasionally connects for some reason and I'm tired of constantly forgetting it and the goddamned dialog that pops up asking me to connect. And I'm not going to be resetting my network settings all the time when I can easily just shut it off when I need to.

Now if only I could get rid of the "GPS works better when Wifi is on" message.

You can turn that off too. I have a similar problem with my work's WiFi in that I never use it because streaming is blocked on our network. I occasionaly connect to it when I need to do a software update but once I have the update downloaded and installed I forget the network and never have to worry about it again.

I kinda hate my ipad at this point. I honestly cant find an answer to this online. I have a homepage with tons of space on it. Whenever I download something new, it doesnt go to the homepage, but a second, blank page. Then I get to move it. How do I stop this? This is litterally infuriating to me. It is extraordinarily stupid, and I cant figure out how to get it to stop.

RevoDS

Weird question, looking to find out if it's ever happened to anyone before:

For the last week or so, there've been random calls between me and an old friend of mine. These calls appear incoming to both of us, and if we try answering, we hear nothing but both get a voicemail with whatever the other person said on the other end.

Since I've changed numbers 2 months ago, my number wasn't even in the other person's contacts, so I suspect it may be originating from my iPhone (iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1). But it's impossible that it's my fault, since all 3 times it's happened I wasn't actually using it. It just happened a few minutes ago, while my phone was charging in another room!

It's really weird when it happens, and it's always the same person. I don't get it.

Did this ever happen to anyone? What might be causing that?

Top Bottom