• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

DarkJC

I kinda hate my ipad at this point. I honestly cant find an answer to this online. I have a homepage with tons of space on it. Whenever I download something new, it doesnt go to the homepage, but a second, blank page. Then I get to move it. How do I stop this? This is litterally infuriating to me. It is extraordinarily stupid, and I cant figure out how to get it to stop.

Pretty sure newly installed apps never go to the first page on any iOS device. Not sure you can change this behaviour.

I kinda hate my ipad at this point. I honestly cant find an answer to this online. I have a homepage with tons of space on it. Whenever I download something new, it doesnt go to the homepage, but a second, blank page. Then I get to move it. How do I stop this? This is litterally infuriating to me. It is extraordinarily stupid, and I cant figure out how to get it to stop.

ibcNQAHUqwCbN5.png

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why is this a problem? I'm pretty sure it's by design. Pretty silly thing to make you hate something.

mrkgoo

Does anyone have this bug?

When in album view in the music player, the quick select alphabet doesn't work before "T". Pressing any of the letters just jumps to the top.

It works in the other views.

mrkgoo

Does anyone have this bug?

When in album view in the music player, the quick select alphabet doesn't work before "T". Pressing any of the letters just jumps to the top.

It works in the other views.

Ok, found my issue - one song that has an album starting with "A", is listed under "S", even though it's int he "A" section.

SO I have albums in alphabetical order:
A
A.....
A.....
S
A...(offending song)
A
A....

etc.

So it'ls like one song is actually A, labelled as S, but still in the "a" section, thus when I tap anything before "t", it just jumps straight to the fake "S".

if I remove the song, everythign is fine.

Thing is, there is no S to be seen in the album name, or in the sorting field.

cakefoo

Am I understanding this right? It seems I can't enable Touch ID features (like App Store authorizations, Apple Pay, etc) unless I also enable the Passcode or Touch ID lock on the phone itself. Kind of inconvenient. Unlocking via Touch ID is hit or miss, and entering a passcode at least every 4 hours is more of a chore than entering an App Store maybe a few times a week. I haven't been able to use Apple Pay yet because neither of my debit cards is supported. So for now I'll just disable Touch ID.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Am I understanding this right? It seems I can't enable Touch ID features (like App Store authorizations, Apple Pay, etc) unless I also enable the Passcode or Touch ID lock on the phone itself. Kind of inconvenient. Unlocking via Touch ID is hit or miss, and entering a passcode at least every 4 hours is more of a chore than entering an App Store maybe a few times a week. I haven't been able to use Apple Pay yet because neither of my debit cards is supported. So for now I'll just disable Touch ID.

I'm assuming it's a safety measure to prevent third parties from using your device without a code and add their finger prints onto it.

I've found the print sensor works 100% on the 6 these days, the 5S was hit & miss though.

cakefoo

I'm assuming it's a safety measure to prevent third parties from using your device without a code and add their finger prints onto it.

I've found the print sensor works 100% on the 6 these days, the 5S was hit & miss though.
You have to input the PIN before you can access the Touch ID/Passcode settings.

Gonna keep trialing/training Touch ID to see if I can improve the experience for myself. I probably just don't always put enough of my fingertip on the sensor.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I can't believe, and this is a really strange thing to leave out given the circumstances, that there's no Handoff support for the Music app and iTunes.

I mean who wouldn't want to be able to be playing some music or a podcast or something on their Mac and transfer it right over to the iPhone. It would also transfer the playing state too. So if it's paused it'll remain paused, but just transfer the current song, playlist and random order.

Also, just to mention once again the lack of Up Next on iOS is really stupid too.

And they need to make Handoff work for Twitter, FaceBook and YouTube on iOS to the website on Safari despite them not being apps created by the same dev. OS X and iOS already have this integration independently. Just take it further. And make it so it also transfers your current location in the video on YouTube. (Which is actually already a feature of YouTube) Basically allow iOS apps that are just replacements for websites to have the ability to work with OS X Safari rather than require they have an app on OS X as well. Because I sure as hell ain't going to install apps for FaceBook, Twitter and YouTube on my Mac. I prefer the website. Same with Twitch. I find myself wanting to transfer current streams between all my devices and it would be nice if it could do this automatically so it could skip showing an ad on every single device every time I open the app or website. I just want to continue watching my stream upstairs for a minute!

mrkgoo

I can't believe, and this is a really strange thing to leave out given the circumstances, that there's no Handoff support for the Music app and iTunes.

I mean who wouldn't want to be able to be playing some music or a podcast or something on their Mac and transfer it right over to the iPhone. It would also transfer the playing state too. So if it's paused it'll remain paused, but just transfer the current song, playlist and random order.

Also, just to mention once again the lack of Up Next on iOS is really stupid too.

And they need to make Handoff work for Twitter, FaceBook and YouTube on iOS to the website on Safari despite them not being apps created by the same dev. OS X and iOS already have this integration independently. Just take it further. And make it so it also transfers your current location in the video on YouTube. (Which is actually already a feature of YouTube) Basically allow iOS apps that are just replacements for websites to have the ability to work with OS X Safari rather than require they have an app on OS X as well. Because I sure as hell ain't going to install apps for FaceBook, Twitter and YouTube on my Mac. I prefer the website. Same with Twitch. I find myself wanting to transfer current streams between all my devices and it would be nice if it could do this automatically so it could skip showing an ad on every single device every time I open the app or website. I just want to continue watching my stream upstairs for a minute!

Agreed.

Well, not that I don't believe it, apple always makes baby steps with new tech.

But these would all be great features and I await them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Agreed.

Well, not that I don't believe it, apple always makes baby steps with new tech.

But these would all be great features and I await them.
Apple needs to implement the last one as a feature and reach out to Twitter, FaceBook and YouTube to integrate them as features to help push the initiative for other services to follow. Show it off at WWDC '15. Make a big deal out of it. Other sites could follow like Tumblr, maybe Google (lol) with the Google app, (Hell, if they can convince them to implement it into YouTube they could get them to do the Google app too.) the DropBox app could open the folder itself or the website optionally.. I'm sure there's many more site/app combos like this. While I love Apps on my iPhone or iPad for certain websites, I don't want apps for all these sites on my Mac when I can just use my Safari bookmarks much easier than having separate apps for every site. So we need integration between the app and Safari.

It's something I wish that Apple had implemented, especially when something like Pocket Casts just did. They updated to 5.0 tonight and added Handoff for Podcasts as one of the features. It basically works like this: They started a webplayer service for podcasts that syncs with the iOS and Android apps. It costs $9 for lifetime access to their webplayer which I think is worth it considering it's cross platform and is cheaper than Instacast and Downcast on OS X. Besides the cloud syncing, you can be listening to any podcast on your iPhone and on your Mac the handoff icon will pop up. When you click it, it will take you to their webplayer load the exact podcast you've been listening to and take you to the exact spot that you were on your phone. I don't see why Apple didn't implement this out of the box.

Futureman

Is there an app where I could leave my iPhone somewhere and then access the camera from another iPhone? Basically turning the first iPhone into a security cam.

My GF and I want to spy on her dog while we are away haha.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is there an app where I could leave my iPhone somewhere and then access the camera from another iPhone? Basically turning the first iPhone into a security cam.

I think there's a tweak that does auto-answering of Facetime calls, so you could try that if her phone is jailbroken, but other than that I'm not sure.

Number45

This seems like something that they wouldn't encourage, too many non-legitimate applications!

Wiz

Ummm. Anyone know what the hell is going on with my spotlight search keyboard? Touching it doesn't do anything.

EXVk0sO.jpg

Edit: back to normal. Was just a weird glitch.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The alarm and timers on iOS need Handoff support so I can cancel or "snooze" them from my Mac. My phone is in the other room right now going off and I'm on my Mac elsewhere that I can't just go turn it off right now. So it'd be nice if it showed up on my Mac as a notification that I can cancel.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I supposed I could read back through the thread but what are the *must have* widgets and extensions.

I have Drafts 4 and Pcalc in my widget bar. Drafts is proving to be invaluable. The shortcuts it allows for are mindblowing.

Any time I spend money ever I just pull down, press + type "20.19 - whole foods" press the share button, click fantastical and then instantly my calander is populated with an event under the "purchases" tag. Its the greatest way to track spending ever.

Similarly when I look at recipes in Safari I just copy the ingredient list, pull down, press "+ from clipboard" and then hit the share button and send it to clear and it instantly populates a shopping list in clear..

Its awesome.

And then for extensions I have afterlight and 1password right now.

DarkJC

I love iMessage as a system and for me it's been a pretty great experience, but yeah, they should've had a foolproof way to 'unhook' your phone number from the system a long time ago, rather than waiting for the (in this case real) threat of a lawsuit before taking action.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Have you guys noticed your share sheet organization goes back to default randomly. I always reorder it just the way I like it and then a few hours later it's back to the default order..

Ambitious

Well, I was just reminded why I didn't use iMessage at all with my previous iPhone. Today, I sent an iMessage to my sister. Just now, two hours later, I received a notification that sending the message had failed.

Two hours. Why didn't it tell me immediately? Why didn't it just send it as a normal text message instead? (Yes, the "Send as SMS" setting is on)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Is there interest in a dedicated Healthkit OT?
I'm interested in hearing what everyone is using with it.

I've been very into healthkit since I got my new phone. It will get more traction when the watch is out, I think.

I am really confused how iCloud Photo backups work.

There are 3 different options:

ICloud Photo Library
My Photo Stream
ICloud Photo Sharing

This seems overly-complicated to me.

I have 3 iOS devices: how can I automatically backup each device's respective photos without each device accessing all photos in a pool? In other words: I don't want my iPad to see my iPhone's photos and vice versa, etc.

mrkgoo

I am really confused how iCloud Photo backups work.

There are 3 different options:

ICloud Photo Library
My Photo Stream
ICloud Photo Sharing

This seems overly-complicated to me.

I have 3 iOS devices: how can I automatically backup each device's respective photos without each device accessing all photos in a pool? In other words: I don't want my iPad to see my iPhone's photos and vice versa, etc.

To clarify, if I can:

Photo Stream was initially created as a way of getting photos from your iOS device onto your Mac (or otherwise another iOS device), without having to import via cable, or otherwise email yourself etc.

It worked by detecting when you were on wifi and then uploading photos you had taken into iCloud, in a single "PhotoStream", and likewise, would "sync" these images in that stream to any device you had it turned on, for example in iPhoto, Aperture on a MAc or another iOS device.

It meant I could take a photo on my iPhone, get home and just turn on my mac, and the photo would be there without having to upload it.

These photos were supposedly limited to the last 30 days and like 1000 photos.

in iOS 6 they introduced "Shared Photo Streams". This was basically user-created albums in iCloud that you could get other users to subscribe to, and thus your photos would end up on THEIR iOS devices (or Macs). Thus "the original "PhotoStream" was relabelled as "My Photostream" to distinguish the "album" that would sync within you r own devices and those that are used for sharing.

Unlike "My Photostream", "Shared Photostreams" are not dependent on time, and are indefinite, but have a limti of something like 1000 photos per shared photostream and like 100 streams or something. That was then, I have no idea about limits now.

Fast forward to today... iOS has renamed "Shared Photostream" to "iCloud Photo Sharing", but to my knowledge it's the same thing.

As for iCloud Photo Library, this is the new setup that is currently in Beta. It's essentially your entire photos.app library on your iOS device synced to the cloud via iCloud, albums, edits and all. In the future, this will come to Macs as well, and the idea is that everything is in sync. Add a photo by taking it on your iPhone, it appears in your recently added on all devices set to use iCloud Photo Library. Make an edit, such as cropping a photo on your Mac, it crops it on all your devices set to use iCloud Photo Library.

There you go, clear as mud :p

In summary:

"My Photo stream": time-based temporary album of YOUR photos for YOUR devices, set up to provide an easy way to move photos between your devices.

"iCloud Photo Sharing": albums you create and have others "subscribe" to, so that any photo you add, subscribers see them immediately, and can comment and like.

"iCloud Photo Library": the new fancy, complete syncing solution between your own devices of all albums and edits. Still in beta.

---------

As for your question, none of these are for backup or archival purposes. "My Photostream" is supposed to be temporary. "iCloud Photo sharing" is for sharing, and I don't think it uploads full-res files for sharing. iCloud Photo Library WILL keep the full-res file on record, but it's technically not backing it up so much as offering a cloud storage solution. For example, if you delete it on your iPhone, I assume it sits int eh "recently Deleted" album, but when removed from there, that removal syncs across all your devices. I haven't looked too much into iCloud Photo yet.

The proper "backup" is off loading them to another storage solution (even if you use "My Photo Stream" to achieve the move, for example, using photo stream to see the image you take on your iPhone to be seen on your Mac, and then importing it from "My Photostream" on the Mac to your iPhoto/Aperture library (these apps can also set it up to do it automatically).

In addition, iCloud Backups are set by default to include your photos in its backup.

mrkgoo

Thanks, mrkgoo!

No problem. Just hope it's clearer.

To be honest I'm not sold on the idea of iCloud Photo Library just yet. It's good in theory, but seeing as they screw up basic photo streaming and sharing I'm no confident they could really handle an entire library.

Best bet I reckon is to be active and just backup your images manually periodically.

iPhone 6 Plus owner here.

Does anyone else have a problem where sometimes the wifi will just hang, and you have to turn it off and on again in order for it to work?

Had it a few times and not sure if its the device or an iOS bug.

mrkgoo

iPhone 6 Plus owner here.

Does anyone else have a problem where sometimes the wifi will just hang, and you have to turn it off and on again in order for it to work?

Had it a few times and not sure if its the device or an iOS bug.

.... Or the router.

I know people are quick to defend their setup because "other things are working and have no problem", but when it comes to networking, it doesn't exclude the possibility.

There are so many protocols, hardware variations, software variations Etc that routers can sometimes have issues keeping it all together.

For example, I've encountered issues where a new device comes onto the network and its protocols and hardware are the latest you can get (which is often the case with apple gear), and the router was confused as to how to handle it. Of course to all outwards appearances, it seemed like the new device was at fault.

Other issues are having mixed protocols etc.

Not saying this is necessarily the case in your case but keep it in mind. Do your due diligence and test it on other wifi networks to get a better judge at the issue, reset routers, test security protocols etc. restart phones etc.

Edit: also try it with Bluetooth off.

Is the issue consistent or intermittent?

Top Bottom