• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Ninja Dom

Any 5S users here on iOS 8.1??

I gave my 5S to my girlfriend when I got my 6 in September. The 5S was a replacement that the Apple Store gave me in August. So I used that particular 5S for one month. For me, that 5S was perfect. At the time it was running the latest iOS 7 as iOS 8 wasn't yet available.

Now my girlfriend is using that 5S and she's updated to iOS 8.1. She's having terrible trouble with call reception, phone not ringing, calls going direct to voicemail. And today, she never had the option to turn on the flash for the rear camera. The option was there for the video camera but not for still photographs. Again, this exact same phone worked perfectly when I used it (different mobile network though).

Is iOS 8.1 janky on an iPhone 5S?? It's absolutely fine on my iPhone 6.

So we know iOS 8.2 and 8.3 are on their way. Safe to assume that one of those is for Photos in the Cloud and the other one is for the Apple Watch, right? And that one of them will likely reintroduce public transit directions?

Furyous

iPhone 6 Plus owner here.

Does anyone else have a problem where sometimes the wifi will just hang, and you have to turn it off and on again in order for it to work?

Had it a few times and not sure if its the device or an iOS bug.

I thought my i5 was dying due to this issue.

Vyer

Any 5S users here on iOS 8.1??

I gave my 5S to my girlfriend when I got my 6 in September. The 5S was a replacement that the Apple Store gave me in August. So I used that particular 5S for one month. For me, that 5S was perfect. At the time it was running the latest iOS 7 as iOS 8 wasn't yet available.

Now my girlfriend is using that 5S and she's updated to iOS 8.1. She's having terrible trouble with call reception, phone not ringing, calls going direct to voicemail. And today, she never had the option to turn on the flash for the rear camera. The option was there for the video camera but not for still photographs. Again, this exact same phone worked perfectly when I used it (different mobile network though).

Is iOS 8.1 janky on an iPhone 5S?? It's absolutely fine on my iPhone 6.

My wife is using my 5S, it's been updated and she's not having those issues.

If a reboot hasn't fixed it, you might want to consider reloading the phone. Maybe something went wrong during the update?

.... Or the router.

I know people are quick to defend their setup because "other things are working and have no problem", but when it comes to networking, it doesn't exclude the possibility.

There are so many protocols, hardware variations, software variations Etc that routers can sometimes have issues keeping it all together.

For example, I've encountered issues where a new device comes onto the network and its protocols and hardware are the latest you can get (which is often the case with apple gear), and the router was confused as to how to handle it. Of course to all outwards appearances, it seemed like the new device was at fault.

Other issues are having mixed protocols etc.

Not saying this is necessarily the case in your case but keep it in mind. Do your due diligence and test it on other wifi networks to get a better judge at the issue, reset routers, test security protocols etc. restart phones etc.

Edit: also try it with Bluetooth off.

Is the issue consistent or intermittent?

I dont have bluetooth on, no need for it.

Its intermittent, sometimes its not for a few weeks, others its within a day.

I didnt have this problem with my previous iPhone 6 Plus that got replaced due to a crack in the screen, but then they updated the iOS, so I'm not sure what it could be.

The router seems fine, as you say, all my other devices are fine and dont lose connection.

Ninja Dom

My wife is using my 5S, it's been updated and she's not having those issues.

If a reboot hasn't fixed it, you might want to consider reloading the phone. Maybe something went wrong during the update?

Yeah, if these problems persist over the next couple of days then a Restore will be in order.

Red

My wife got an iPhone 6 and I am switching to her 5S. I've disabled her number in iMessage send and receive and deleted her iCloud account and all info from the handset. I've restored multiple times in iTunes and tried syncing to my account. I just completed a fresh restore to factory defaults. Everything is still synced to her account. This is maddening. I have all of her contacts and none of mine and she is receiving all of my texts on her iPhone 6. Her number and account are no longer listed anywhere on the 5S and yet the phone is still tied to both. The fuck is happening. Please someone help. I am a grown ass man and Apple's account system has broken me.

mrkgoo

I dont have bluetooth on, no need for it.

Its intermittent, sometimes its not for a few weeks, others its within a day.

I didnt have this problem with my previous iPhone 6 Plus that got replaced due to a crack in the screen, but then they updated the iOS, so I'm not sure what it could be.

The router seems fine, as you say, all my other devices are fine and dont lose connection.
My main point was that issues with wi fi don't becessarily point to the device itself, even if it's the only one having issues. Networking is notoriously difficult to diagnose issues.

Had one problem once where some devices kept dropping. What was the issue? Was it the devices? Sort of - it was because modern browsers pre fetched data before actually visiting sites and the traffic was too much forbid router to handle. So it LOOKED like it was a device issue, because it only started happening more recently and only on some devices, but in actuality, it was a device software one - but one where it would never be "fixed" on the device because it was a "feature". The fix was to off load the traffic from the router. And eventually a new router.

Don't discount settings on any parting the network. Could fe the device, as you mention a previous one not displaying the issue, but you do say the issue is intermittent on even a few weeks basis, suggesting it's possible the previous ohone had the same signs but you just didn't see them in the short time you had it.

Edit: honestly your issue being needing to turn wifi on and off again, to re kick a connection dies sound more like a router thing. Like its the router having issue maintaining traffic with that device.

like maybe your router doesn't like talking with that flavour of iOS or iPhone hardware (even though nothing is wrong with that end). Maybe you can try manually specifying DNS addresses on you iPhone as an experiment.

mrkgoo

My wife got an iPhone 6 and I am switching to her 5S. I've disabled her number in iMessage send and receive and deleted her iCloud account and all info from the handset. I've restored multiple times in iTunes and tried syncing to my account. I just completed a fresh restore to factory defaults. Everything is still synced to her account. This is maddening. I have all of her contacts and none of mine and she is receiving all of my texts on her iPhone 6. Her number and account are no longer listed anywhere on the 5S and yet the phone is still tied to both. The fuck is happening. Please someone help. I am a grown ass man and Apple's account system has broken me.

How are you restoring in iTunes? You should be selecting restore to factory conditions and make sure when it restarts you set up as a new phone NOT from backup.

The other thing is it might be syncing contacts and sat from the computer its connected to.

Another way to restore is to go to general -> reset-> reset all contents and settings.

This will factory restore phone.

I've never heard of iCloud contacts syncing to a new phone if you've never entered the iCloud account in. I've heard of iMessage weirdness but that's why Apple released a specific tool. iCloud contacts shouldn't stnc to a device that does not have that account logged in.

Just make sure you're not syncing data from that computer manually via iTunes. Therefore my suggestion is break any sync with iTunes and erase it without the computer.

Red

How are you restoring in iTunes? You should be selecting restore to factory conditions and make sure when it restarts you set up as a new phone NOT from backup.

The other thing is it might be syncing contacts and sat from the computer its connected to.

Another way to restore is to go to general -> reset-> reset all contents and settings.

This will factory restore phone.

I've never heard of iCloud contacts syncing to a new phone if you've never entered the iCloud account in. I've heard of iMessage weirdness but that's why Apple released a specific tool. iCloud contacts shouldn't stnc to a device that does not have that account logged in.

Just make sure you're not syncing data from that computer manually via iTunes. Therefore my suggestion is break any sync with iTunes and erase it without the computer.

She has never synced with the computer I'm using. I already restored to factory conditions and set it up as a new phone. It says it is my phone in iTunes and there is no trace of her account anywhere on the phone, but it is still synced to her iCloud.

Vyer

She has never synced with the computer I'm using. I already restored to factory conditions and set it up as a new phone. It says it is my phone in iTunes and there is no trace of her account anywhere on the phone, but it is still synced to her iCloud.

Try the restore without using iTunes at all. Go to settings on the phone and do Erase All Content and Settings. Then when setting up don't restore from backup and set up as new phone. (Just like you did when plugged into iTunes). Use your Apple ID obviously not hers when setting up the phone. Hopefully that helps.

Also make sure you've turned off iMessage and disabled Find My iPhone before erasing

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

That doesn't make sense to me, are you sure she didn't use your account for icloud stuff?

Red

Try the restore without using iTunes at all. Go to settings on the phone and do Erase All Content and Settings. Then when setting up don't restore from backup and set up as new phone. (Just like you did when plugged into iTunes). Use your Apple ID obviously not hers when setting up the phone. Hopefully that helps.

Also make sure you've turned off iMessage and disabled Find My iPhone before erasing

I'm trying this now, hoping it works.
That doesn't make sense to me, are you sure she didn't use your account for icloud stuff?

Yup.

Still synced to her even when erasing all settings on the phone and restoring as new without working through iTunes. I give up.

The only thing it is syncing to my account is reminders. Everything else is synced to hers. Why. Why. She is not logged in. Her info is not visible anywhere on the phone.

Vyer

I'm trying this now, hoping it works.

Yup.

Still synced to her even when erasing all settings on the phone and restoring as new without working through iTunes. I give up.

The only thing it is syncing to my account is reminders. Everything else is synced to hers. Why. Why. She is not logged in. Her info is not visible anywhere on the phone.

Just to be clear, don't plug into itunes at all for any part of the process. On the off chance something is going on with the process through the software, just to see what happens with the built in restore.

Does anyone have a Chase credit card attached to their Passbook?

I get notifications from other cards when I purchase things but no notifications from the Chase card.

Anyone else not receiving purchase notifications?

Red

Just to be clear, don't plug into itunes at all for any part of the process. On the off chance something is going on with the process through the software, just to see what happens with the built in restore.
Yeah that's what I tried. I haven't plugged into iTunes. I'll try bringing it to an Apple Store tomorrow.

Does anyone have a Chase credit card attached to their Passbook?

I get notifications from other cards when I purchase things but no notifications from the Chase card.

Anyone else not receiving purchase notifications?

You will only get notifications on that card when you use it with Apple Pay. I believe it even mentions that if you click the "i."

mrkgoo

Yeah that's what I tried. I haven't plugged into iTunes. I'll try bringing it to an Apple Store tomorrow.

How about this:

Part of the restore via iTunes is for it to make a backup (it asks, but most people click through). You say that she never synced to tr computer you're using... Is it possible when you did a restore on that computer you actually inadvertently made a backup OR synced it to that computer ( or both), thus adding her info to YOUR account (or something like that like creating a contacts file on your computer which is now syncing etc).

You can check any backups made in iTunes by clicking preferences, and looking under devices.

A semi-long shot but just throwing this out there.

This is odd.

I know you said you were going to try erasing and restoring all settings on the actual phone by turnings find my iPhone off first, but to clarify you CANNOT restore a phone through iTunes without turning it off first. even when restoring to factory conditions without iTunes it will ask for the iCloud account password.

Make doubly sure you're actually selecting the right "reset" option. There's a "reset settings", but also an "erase all content and reset settings". These are different things.

When you reset, you should be greeted with a new phone welcome screen. Are you avos lurked positive you aren't sharing iCloud accounts in some way? Like you've never logged on to HER phone prior to this? It really does seem unbelievable (but not 100 % inconceivable I guess), that it's syncing at all on a new phone.

Would be interesting to get to the bottom of this.

Red

I can post a video of me running through the process later if you like. I'm stumped, because I've activated my account on a used iPhone previously and never had this problem (back on iOS 6). The process you described is exactly how I reset the phone. I don't think it is a matter of 'sharing' accounts because my contacts are not being synced at all, as in I am not getting a list of both my contacts and hers, I am only getting hers. I don't understand why. To top all this off, after I did the most recent reset she ceased being able to receive calls on her iPhone 6. She is still getting texts and can call others, but outside calls won't come through.

Vyer

I can post a video of me running through the process later if you like. I'm stumped, because I've activated my account on a used iPhone previously and never had this problem (back on iOS 6). The process you described is exactly how I reset the phone. I don't think it is a matter of 'sharing' accounts because my contacts are not being synced at all, as in I am not getting a list of both my contacts and hers, I am only getting hers. I don't understand why. To top all this off, after I did the most recent reset she ceased being able to receive calls on her iPhone 6. She is still getting texts and can call others, but outside calls won't come through.

That's really strange and I'm curious what's up. Though honestly if its interfering with your calls it seems like a sim/carrier issue of some sort. An Apple ID issue wouldn't effect that, as opposed to some sort of activation issue I would think. Unless you're storing contacts through the sim or something? I dunno, that's just weird.

Red

It's on Verizon. I don't think info is stored on SIM.

Is there a way to check for all devices tied to a particular account, like a settings page on Apple.com? That would make it easy to sort out what is activated where.

I'm going to record this step by step tonight and post the video in hope of this being an easy fix for something I'm doing wrong.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Is there a way to check for all devices tied to a particular account, like a settings page on Apple.com? That would make it easy to sort out what is activated where.

I'm going to record this step by step tonight and post the video in hope of this being an easy fix for something I'm doing wrong.

You can log in at appleid.apple.com and it'll list all the devices under the Password & Security > Manage your trusted devices section

Ambitious

Well, it seems this will be the first month ever in which I hit my data cap. That's because I have to disable WiFi all the time because it still doesn't work properly. Where's iOS 8.1.1?

Red

You can log in at appleid.apple.com and it'll list all the devices under the Password & Security > Manage your trusted devices section
Thanks. I see my phones listed under my ID, but no phones under my wife's. frustrating.

The 5S does not show under my account on Apple.com even though my account is active on the phone.

mrkgoo

That's really strange and I'm curious what's up. Though honestly if its interfering with your calls it seems like a sim/carrier issue of some sort. An Apple ID issue wouldn't effect that, as opposed to some sort of activation issue I would think. Unless you're storing contacts through the sim or something? I dunno, that's just weird.

So weird.

What happens if you just restore the phone and set up as new but don't add an icloud account?

Is her old phone still listed under her find my iPhone? Maybe a remote erase if it is?

Red

So weird.

What happens if you just restore the phone and set up as new but don't add an icloud account?

Is her old phone still listed under her find my iPhone? Maybe a remote erase if it is?
I'll take a look when I get home. I'm at work for a half hour more. If you guys don't mind I will post a video to see if I am doing something wrong. I'll check find my iPhone under her account.

I haven't tried without setting up an iCloud account. Her number can't be deleted from the phone's contact info. It appears greyed out.

The 5S is showing under her find my iPhone. Should it be? Her contacts have finally stopped syncing. Her number is still tied to the phone.

Still nothing but reminders syncing from my account. How long does this usually take?

Her contacts are back.

Safari is synced to my phone, but none of my settings or contacts are.

DarkJC

I'll take a look when I get home. I'm at work for a half hour more. If you guys don't mind I will post a video to see if I am doing something wrong. I'll check find my iPhone under her account.

I haven't tried without setting up an iCloud account. Her number can't be deleted from the phone's contact info. It appears greyed out.

The 5S is showing under her find my iPhone. Should it be? Her contacts have finally stopped syncing. Her number is still tied to the phone.

Still nothing but reminders syncing from my account. How long does this usually take?

Her contacts are back.

You should visit an Apple Store. They are in the best position to help you and can probably solve your problem right there. (edit: Make an appointment if possible!)

Red

You should visit an Apple Store. They are in the best position to help you and can probably solve your problem right there. (edit: Make an appointment if possible!)
I'm going first thing in the morning. I have not been so incredibly frustrated for as far back as I can remember. I feel like throwing the 5S across the room.

mrkgoo

Her contacts are back.

The iPhone 5S should NOT be under her Find My iPhone. In fact you HAVE to remove it before you can even restore the phone.

Are you sure you are selecting "Erase all contents and settings"?

I feel like we're missing something simple here. Is her original SIM card still in the phone? Did Verizone properly transfer her number from the old SIM card to her new one if she isn't changing SIM cards?

There's still a list of thing a that can be tried to shake things out. One of the methods of having a phone locked to an account is to have that user remote erase as a way to remove its link. Did you try the new iMessage delinking site?

But again, you HAVE to to remove find my iPhone before anything can be done in regards to restoring.

Vyer

but you did put swap SIM cards though, right?

Like mrkgoo mentioned, sometimes with Verizon you have to call and activate the device even after putting the new SIM in

Ninja Dom

I'm going first thing in the morning. I have not been so incredibly frustrated for as far back as I can remember. I feel like throwing the 5S across the room.

Last thing, go onto iCloud.com on a computer and sign in with your Apple ID.

Have a look at Contacts and ascertain that the contacts you're seeing are yours and not your wives. If they are your wives then her contacts have somehow merged/copied into yours. and there won't have been anything wrong with the setup of your new iPhone - it would have been a syncing issue from previously before you got the iPhone.

Red

I figured out contacts. I must have disabled my gmail syncing sometime down the line. Only iCloud was going through -- all people I know through my wife. iCloud was not selected in the dialer app of my 4S, so I only saw those contacts in the gmail group. I got so frustrated I didn't even think to check. Thanks for the help but it turns out I'm just a damn fool.

The 5S was still showing under find my iPhone on her account but she was able to remove it. A message popped up saying that if the phone was turned back on it would reappear, but so far it has not.

Are your email accounts meant to sync across devices? That's all I haven't figured out yet. Mail shows as active under iCloud but none of my old accounts are in the mail app (except iCloud, of course).

I haven't activated the phone yet because I don't have a third to start the process. Her number is still listed as 'my number,' but I think that will change once it's activated.

mrkgoo

I figured out contacts. I must have disabled my gmail syncing sometime down the line. Only iCloud was going through -- all people I know through my wife. iCloud was not selected in the dialer app of my 4S, so I only saw those contacts in the gmail group. I got so frustrated I didn't even think to check. Thanks for the help but it turns out I'm just a damn fool.

The 5S was still showing under find my iPhone on her account but she was able to remove it. A message popped up saying that if the phone was turned back on it would reappear, but so far it has not.

Are your email accounts meant to sync across devices? That's all I haven't figured out yet. Mail shows as active under iCloud but none of my old accounts are in the mail app (except iCloud, of course).

I haven't activated the phone yet because I don't have a third to start the process. Her number is still listed as 'my number,' but I think that will change once it's activated.

Some stuff is becoming clearer.

This stuff isn't bullet-proof, I know, but some things just don't make sense. Glad you're starting to clear it up.

But one thing gets me is that you CANNOT restore a phone without removing it from Find my iPhone first. That's how it's supposed to work. If you try to restore a phone via iTunes to factory, it will actually request you go turn that feature off. If trying to restore on the phone itself it will request the iCloud account password. There's no way around this - this is the activation lock introduced in ios7.

One reason it may stil be showing up however, is if your wife ever got a replacement iPhone or otherwise set up her iPhone 5S a second time somehow without removing Find my iPhone such that it created multiple entries in Find my iPhone. Previously this could happen on iOS 6 or earlier if you, for example, received a replacement device and never deleted the old one.

Your situation still bamboozles me, but I'm actually pretty confident there are simple explanations such as your contacts one. My hunch is that either you didn't do a full restore to factory conditions or she may actually have had multiple entries for her device in Find my iPhone.

Sounds like you haven't actually "erased" her phone from find my iPhone, as much as you have simple removed it from the viewable list. Which is fine, it's what I did to my old devices, but I was wondering what would happen if you actually did a remote erase (as this is sometimes requested by Apple to remove a device that is still activation locked).

Your email shouldnt be syncing because you haven't added any yet. Not sure why you would expect your email to magically appear. The only email accounts that will appear there are ones you put there yourself. One note of confusion for many users is the use of an email address as the AppleID identifier. Countless people think they are logging in to their email because of this. They confuse their Apple ID password with their email password, they think that they are receiving emails in iMessage when people use that identifier and so on.

Red

I was hoping email accounts previously used on a device with a certain AppleID would be tied to that ID. I have an old student email I still use for discounts, but I don't remember the password for the account and was hoping it would sync across devices.

mrkgoo

I was hoping email accounts previously used on a device with a certain AppleID would be tied to that ID. I have an old student email I still use for discounts, but I don't remember the password for the account and was hoping it would sync across devices.

Well, it would seem you have expectations that aren't in line with how things actually work Not trying to tag on you, just saying it's clear there are a few things that you don't fully understand - and that's understandable because this stuff is WAY less than intuitive.

The Apple ID is an entirely independent entity from any other account. You can imagine the logistical nightmare of associating actual email settings to an ID. I'm actually surprised Apple will let you associate multiple email addresses as identifiers on iMessage. And we all know tr mess that one is in.

Anyway, email settings do not follow your Apple ID. However, they CAN be remembered on a device basis as part of that device's backup, which can exist on iCloud.

So if setting up from new and adding an Apple ID as your iCloud account on a new device, it will set up the iCloud email (as that isn't here toy the same account as the Apple ID), but not other email addresses.

You will only see previous device email settings if you restore from a backup, either iCloud or from iTunes.

Red

Well, it would seem you have expectations that aren't in line with how things actually work Not trying to tag on you, just saying it's clear there are a few things that you don't fully understand - and that's understandable because this stuff is WAY less than intuitive.

No need to explain. If this were a test I would not pass.

VAV34gS.jpg

Ambitious

Can I please disable your built-in app extensions, Apple? I don't print stuff from my phone, and I don't save websites to my homescreen either.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if they're keeping the point updates between OS X and iOS synced on purpose now. I love getting updates for both at once.
The last thing they need is arbitrary on-brand rigidity for software point grades. It's already tragic they have to stick the hardware release each year. Clamoring for even more corporate synergy is like borderline erotic fan-fiction, if you ask me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The last thing they need is arbitrary on-brand rigidity for software point grades. It's already tragic they have to stick the hardware release each year. Clamoring for even more corporate synergy is like borderline erotic fan-fiction, if you ask me.
I know some of those words.

Ambitious

Had a new bug happen to me the third time now: When watching a video in Safari, the seek bar freezes at some point. So the video keeps running and I can actually seek, but the slider doesn't move and the elapsed time doesn't change either. In addition, whenever this happens, I cannot close the video anymore. The "Done" button lights up when tapped, but nothing else happens. Have to restart Safari then.

Top Bottom