• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

n64coder

So anyone have feedback on 8.1.1 for iPad 2? I installed it on my iPad last night and I think the charging issue is fixed. Previously, it would only charge to 80% and I got past it. I need to check again today to confirm that it's 100%.

Number45

Just realised today that 8.1.1 seemed to disable iMessage on my phone for some reason (can't think of anything else that might have caused it), if anyone isn't receiving their messages and can't work out why.

n64coder

The latest update did not fix my iPad 2 charging issue. It only charges up to 84%. It was working fine before iOS 8. Sigh.

Rrang129

Anyone update their iPhone 5s to 8.1.1 last night and have the phone become really laggy? Takes about 20 seconds to lock when I press the lock button, touching/swiping is extremely laggy... battery is draining crazy fast.

What the hell is going on with iOS 8, yeesh.

n64coder

Anyone update their iPhone 5s to 8.1.1 last night and have the phone become really laggy? Takes about 20 seconds to lock when I press the lock button, touching/swiping is extremely laggy... battery is draining crazy fast.

Due to my issues with the iPad 2, I started reading the Apple discussion forums and it seems that people were recommending that I do a backup and a clean restore. You might want to try that. I started the process last night and will finish it up tonight and will report if it makes a difference for my issues.

mrkgoo

In the first instance, try soft and hard resetting the device.

Hold the sleep button until you get a slider to turns the phone off and reboot or if you want the harder one, hold both the home and sleep/wake buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds until you see it go black and the Apple logo comes up.

Ambitious

Is there a Notification Center widget that allows me to rate the song currently playing? I hate having to open the Music app all the time.

ok guys, I just encountered something really weird and possible anti consumer move by my telecom company.

I got myself an iPhone 6 and its awesome, gave my iPhone 5 to my little brother, and he cant use it as it is locked to my telecom company.

I called them up and they told me I can unlock it by paying them 300 sek, now that is fucked up. It´s my iphone, I paid fair and square for it and I cant do what I want with it?

There is no way I am paying anything to get my phone unlocked, so how can I unlock it without having to pay anything?

Google is only linking me to crap website that I have to pay to get my phone unlocked, any good advice on how to unlock a phone for free?

mrkgoo

Something I still find annoying is how notifications for geofences work.

A friend set a geofence location on me to notify when I left a certain location. However I left and maybe because it was in a poor reception area it didn't log me as having left.

So now there's this notification on me constantly paging my location. Ok fair enough, but it's draining my battery so *I* want control to be able to remove it.

I do get it, I mean it sucks for someone to set a geofence
To remind them but then I remove it and they never get the expected notification. At the very least, it should notify me that such a geofence was initially set (I know you can tell its in by the menu bar icon, but that not good enough), and maybe ask me to confirm the geofence.

Ideally it would give me the option to remove it and notofy the person that I have done so or at the very least ask them to confirm removal.

As it stands I have no idea it was setup unless I happen to notice the icon (whic can be hidden by the generic locations services icon), and no way for me to remove it, aside from de friending that person.

Number45

ok guys, I just encountered something really weird and possible anti consumer move by my telecom company.

I got myself an iPhone 6 and its awesome, gave my iPhone 5 to my little brother, and he cant use it as it is locked to my telecom company.

I called them up and they told me I can unlock it by paying them 300 sek, now that is fucked up. It´s my iphone, I paid fair and square for it and I cant do what I want with it?

There is no way I am paying anything to get my phone unlocked, so how can I unlock it without having to pay anything?

Google is only linking me to crap website that I have to pay to get my phone unlocked, any good advice on how to unlock a phone for free?
You'll often find this happens unfortunately, at least in the UK I know a lot of operators lock the phone to their network. If you're outside of the terms of the original agreement (two years now in most cases, in the UK at least) then I think they're obligated to unlock without any cost to you.

As for unlocking manually I'm not sure. We have a little stall in our local town that sells phone cases and the like that unlocks iPhones for a small cost. Still not free, but probably cheaper and at least you're not lining the operator's pockets.

Rrang129

Due to my issues with the iPad 2, I started reading the Apple discussion forums and it seems that people were recommending that I do a backup and a clean restore. You might want to try that. I started the process last night and will finish it up tonight and will report if it makes a difference for my issues.

In the first instance, try soft and hard resetting the device.

Hold the sleep button until you get a slider to turns the phone off and reboot or if you want the harder one, hold both the home and sleep/wake buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds until you see it go black and the Apple logo comes up.

It ended up going back to normal after about 25 minutes without rebooting... really strange. Been fine all day today!

FerranMG

I had a similar issue with Vodafone in Spain.
I managed to trick them in unlocking the phone for me in the end, though.

What happened to me was that I left Vodafone and moved to another company, but I forgot to unlock the iPhone I had got from Vodafone a few years back.
They told me that while I was their customer, they would have unlocked it for free, but that since I was with another company, they were not under the obligation to do it, and would not do so.
My girlfriend had also an iPhone from Vodafone, and she was still a customer from them. What I did was call Vodafone on behalf of my girlfriend, and tell them that I wanted to unlock a phone.
They said the phone I wanted to unlock (mine) had not the IMEI number that they had registered from my girlfriend's iPhone, but I told them that Apple had exchanged at some point the phone for another one, hence the IMEI was different.
They proceeded then to unlock my phone.

Hope you can sort this out, mobile companies are as bad as it gets.

n64coder

It didn't make a difference for me. The system does seem faster than before after doing a clean restore but my battery does not get above 84%. I made an appointment with the Genius Bar for Monday to see what they have to say.

Auctopus

Currently running below iOS 8.0 on my 5c after hearing bad things on release week. Am I good to update now? Does it slow down the device too much? I've only just upgrade from my 4 a couple months back and have enjoyed having a phone that's relatively quick.

Ninja Dom

After almost a week of running iOS 8.1.1, I'm gonna say it's a solid update!!!

I'm running it on an iPhone 6 and an iPad 4th Gen and the biggest improvement is the Safari tabs. Safari seems to hold onto more tabs for longer without reloading. Both devices are swift to use and I haven't seen any major issues with the update. Very good release.

The bug on the iPhone 6 where the camera shutter sound doesn't play sometimes is still there though.

Ninja Dom

Still not sure if I should update on iphone5.

If you're on any other version of iOS 8 then update without hesitation.

If you're on iOS 7, I'd say go for it. I haven't heard any negatives from anyone on older iOS devices that went to 8.1.1 - 4S and iPad 2 users seem very happy with the performance over other iOS 8 versions. It does have much bigger OS than iOS 7 so it will have a slight performance decrease over any iOS 7 version.

If you're on an iPhone 5 and STILL on iOS 6 that it shipped with, then update straight away and get that old iOS 6 off your device. Old school look and feel and is very outdated.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
A friend's iPhone 4S had been a total piece of garbage for a while, abysmal battery, slow and even the phone app was freezing like crazy. I tried all the usual solutions, but in the end starting from scratch with a factory reset and not restoring from backup was what did it. She'll have to reinstall/reconfigure some things but she was more than glad the thing started working decently again. Shame when it gets to that but yeah, sometimes formatting for real is the only way.

Ambitious

And once again, the App Store is permanently showing an update badge, even though all apps are up-to-date. Whenever I open it, the button next to the app I updated last shows "Update" for a split second before changing to "Open", so that's the culprit. I guess some kind of log file or database entry wasn't properly updated.

mrkgoo

And once again, the App Store is permanently showing an update badge, even though all apps are up-to-date. Whenever I open it, the button next to the app I updated last shows "Update" for a split second before changing to "Open", so that's the culprit. I guess some kind of log file or database entry wasn't properly updated.

That happened to me ever since iOS 8 came out when I synced apps from iTunes.

It was frustrating enough I just switched entirely to updating on the device itself.

mrkgoo

I have it on my 5. It's fine. If you're having battery problems, you probably need to get it replaced. It's a fairly easy procedure.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+5+Battery+Replacement/10587

My wife had an iPhone battery replaced under program, mine did not.

My battery life is a shadow of its former self. Back when I was getting 10 hours wifi, 5 hours 3G, now it's probably closer to 6-7 wifi and 3-3.5 on 3G.

I carry a spare battery. It's less about iOS 8 and more just age. I found it Ella to turn Bluetooth off.

Ambitious

Is it not possible to enable Family Sharing without using a shared credit card? So whoever buys something pays for it, but it's still shared with the other family members.

n64coder

After almost a week of running iOS 8.1.1, I'm gonna say it's a solid update!!!

Yes. Previously I had battery issues but they seem to have gone away. For me, it was a combination of installing 8.1.1 and doing a restore of my iPad 2. At first, the battery still would only charge to 84% or so but after a couple more times, it went back to normal of 100%.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

This just happened to me while updating Garageband on my phone. Didn't look like it was downloading when I tried at home so I just stopped it, by the time I'd got into work it said it was updated but the badge is still there. Oh well.

Ambitious

Is it not possible to enable Family Sharing without using a shared credit card? So whoever buys something pays for it, but it's still shared with the other family members.

No, not possible. Every purchase is billed to the family organizer's credit card. However, if a family member has store credit on his/her account, it will be used first. The organizer's card is only charged if the purchase exceeds the buyer's store credit.

Random question. There's this weird problem that when I assign pictures to my contacts on my iPhone 6, the little "bubble" or whatever that you use to crop the picture tends to always move back to the center of the photo after you confirm it.

So I'll move the little circle around the person's face, click Done and then when I'm on the regular Contacts screen or when I see them on my Recents list, the picture has messed up again. Why does this happen?

Random question. There's this weird problem that when I assign pictures to my contacts on my iPhone 6, the little "bubble" or whatever that you use to crop the picture tends to always move back to the center of the photo after you confirm it.

So I'll move the little circle around the person's face, click Done and then when I'm on the regular Contacts screen or when I see them on my Recents list, the picture has messed up again. Why does this happen?

This used to happen all the time, stopped being an issue for me a few updates ago. Not sure what you could do apart from using prepared images, which is obviously not really the point.

Is anybody else having a problem where the keyboard doesn't appear? I'm using Swiftkey but when I go to the Messages app no keyboards pop up, even the default one. I've tried manually closing the app and rebooting the phone but it's not helped.

Cloudy

Banned
I installed ios8 on my iPad mini before I sold it and I noticed a lot of slowness. Should I risk it on my mini2? The only reason I'm even tempted to is the message relay

Nero3000

I installed ios8 on my iPad mini before I sold it and I noticed a lot of slowness. Should I risk it on my mini2? The only reason I'm even tempted to is the message relay

Think youll be fine. Mini 2 is A7 based - which runs iOS8 very well (vs. A5 based mini 1 which runs like shit.)

Link

The Autumn Wind

This happens to me and it's the most annoying thing. Not sure how the bug hasn't been fixed yet.

Ninja Dom

Check my Uptime. This is the amount of time your iPod Touch, iPad or iPhone has been turned on without rebooting or being turned off. To measure this I'm using a free app called SysStats Lite by Kazuyuki Imada.

I'm running this on my iPhone 6. As you can see my Uptime is 13 Days. iOS 8.1.1 came out on November 17th so my iPhone has been on constantly without being switched off or rebooting since iOS 8.1.1 was installed on it 13 days ago. My iPhone 6 still runs smoothly without any faults.

C8B8C85C-FCFC-479D-9E6F-1293A0A6DC94_zpsx5lcbxta.png

On another subject, what YouTube apps are most of you using? Is there any way to watch the 60fps YouTube videos at 60fps on an iOS device?

Kuroyume

Banned
So it seems to me that everyone with a 5s who updated to 8.1.1 has had a negative expierience. This is just based on the last two pages. Is that fair to say? Any perks to updating?

I'm on 8.1 right now.

Ninja Dom

So it seems to me that everyone with a 5s who updated to 8.1.1 has had a negative expierience. This is just based on the last two pages. Is that fair to say? Any perks to updating?

I'm on 8.1 right now.

My girlfriend has been running 8.1.1 on her 5S now for the last two weeks that the firmware has been available. No problems whatsoever.

DarkJC

8.1.1 has been a great release, IMO. Very stable, I feel like my battery performance has been much more consistent as well.

Top Bottom