• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Swype will make bank as soon as it hits the App Store today. Everybody will want to try out a new keyboard on iOS.

For some reason on the default keyboard I always hit done when I try to hit a letter on the top right row. So if it can fix that I'd be realllllly happy.

Noema

Been rocking iOS8 since just after the presentation last week on my iPad Mini, but it's not really anything special so far.

The only two changes I'm excited for is Chrome getting the faster browser engine that was previously exclusive to Safari and custom keyboards so I can finally have swipetyping on my iPad as well.

That said, is Swype iPad compatible? I believe Swiftkey is currently iPhone only?

I don't know about Swype but SwiftKey does work on iPad; however Flow, which is the Swiftkey equivalent of swyping doesn't work on iPad at this point.

Also, it's been confirmed that Swiftkey cloud works across platforms which is great news.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I can't speak for iPad 3 but iPhone 4S does not support handoff or Airdrop. You can still create a hotspot, and I'm pretty sure SMS relay will work.

I hope so. I just realized what Continuity is really capable of, I thought before it would just send a reminder to the Mac when you would have gotten a SMS or iMessage, but it seems pretty usefull.

On Android, Swype doesn't have Emojis so I use Swiftkey instead even though swiping on Swype is much much better than Swiftkey.

I wonder if that's the case on iOS?

Both pros and cons are relatively minor for now; for all intents and purposes, it still feels like iOS 7. The major changes to iOS 8 are in the app APIs (for which no apps exist yet) and interaction with OS X (these features are only going live with Yosemite in late October).

You'll see a few tweaks and new features here and there, but nothing that completely transforms the experience, at least until apps are updated to take advantage of the new frameworks, which should be relatively fast.

As far as cons are concerned, iOS8 is significantly more buggy than the latest version of iOS7 is. Most people report improved performance on iPhone 5, but I've personally seen the opposite.

Battery should be more or less the same, as well.

Alright buddy, thanks for writing that up.

I will wait for a day or two before I update to make sure the battery doesn't get worse on my iPhone 5 which is my primary concern as of now.

Thanks again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't know about Swype but SwiftKey does work on iPad; however Flow, which is the Swiftkey equivalent of swyping doesn't work on iPad at this point.

Also, it's been confirmed that Swiftkey cloud works across platforms which is great news.

What? No swiping on iPad with swiftley? Have they said why not? If it is down to the size of the keyboard then give me the option of an iPhone sized keyboard, I don't mind as long as I can type faster

Edit: How big is this expected to be? Need to check how much space I have on my ipad

Enco

1Password is currently free.

Due to an error I believe. Get it quick.

And the apps already updated have been updated again. Now LastPass works.

Calendar 5 updated with a really cool calendar widget. Beats the default one. I'm officially a convert.

rezuth

Calendar 5 updated with a really cool calendar widget. Beats the default one. I'm officially a convert.

Wow, 1Password for free is quite the deal.

wouldnt be surprised if they intro a higher res new version and this is free as this will be out of the app store soon

Mogwai

Thanks!

New York Times app was just updated to include a headlines widget.

Apparently the Amazon app now lets you log in with Touch ID.

Majine

Banned
Whenever I try to turn on the new Spotlight settings in the GM, it automatically turns them off again. Is this something on Apple's side they have to activate?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I totally forgot about the Extensions for Safari until I saw it in LastPass's update notes.
Damn that's going to be so useful.

SeanR1221

Once Yosemite hits, is my photos area gonna get super crowded? I have lots of pictures on my iMac, will they all just auto sync to my phone?

Sean

Banned
Just got three app updates (Discover, Mint, and Amazon) that support TouchID login.

Most exciting part of iOS 8 for me.

kaskade

Touch ID in apps so so damn nice. Also do we get the new emojis today?

edit: I remember something about them not being ready until october I think.

justjohn

Sorry for a potentially stupid question yet again, but does anyone know if I'll lose my reading list and bookmarks on safari after downloading ios8?

Top Bottom