• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

So for some reason my friend's texts are being sent to my iCloud e-mail from his AT&T e-mail and attached with a txt file of the actual text message. The e-mail is (phonenumber)@mms.att.net. Anyone know why it's doing this? Our conversations are usually sent via iMessage.

Blackhead

Redarse
So for some reason my friend's texts are being sent to my iCloud e-mail from his AT&T e-mail and attached with a txt file of the actual text message. The e-mail is (phonenumber)@mms.att.net. Anyone know why it's doing this? Our conversations are usually sent via iMessage.
It could be a number of scenarios or settings but first check the most likely:
is your friend *ahem* a pot dealer by any chance? The DEA might be asking AT&T to route his messages around iMessage so they can copy it...
;P

RevoDS

So I'm getting a new iPad to replace my old iPad 1. Since the latest on iPad 1 is iOS 5, that's the only backup I can have.

Will I be able to restore my settings on the new iOS 8 device using the old one's backups or will I need to set it up as a completely new device?

Link

The Autumn Wind
So I'm getting a new iPad to replace my old iPad 1. Since the latest on iPad 1 is iOS 5, that's the only backup I can have.

Will I be able to restore my settings on the new iOS 8 device using the old one's backups or will I need to set it up as a completely new device?
You'll be able to use the backup.

Nori Chan

So my gf's iMessages now come up with her iCloud account. Is there anyway to fix this? Like have her back to sending me iMessages with her phone number again?

I told her to unclick email from iMessage and now there's 3 conversations

mrkgoo

So my gf's iMessages now come up with her iCloud account. Is there anyway to fix this? Like have her back to sending me iMessages with her phone number again?

Send a message to her phone number and her replay should be back from that one. Just stick to that conversation.

I think the conversations are kept separate in the phones because it has to default to SMS for failure to send in inessagebif it's a number.

DarkJC

Under Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive, you can specify which email/phone number to "Start New Conversations From". Make sure it's set to her phone number.

Delete the conversations on your phone and her phone that are sent using her email.

Ambitious

When you tap and hold a link in Safari while the Reader View is active, the "Open in Background" action is missing from the context menu. Why? This doesn't make any sense.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I need solve image sharing from iOS.
My workflow since like ios5 has been just uploading to imgur through Safari.

I've been looking at dropshare [mainly it's share extension] for iOS and hooking it up to a some bandwidth I want to get from rackspace.. It seems a like a totally fucking killer way to handle it.

Anyone here done this?
I'm really making big strides into using the 6plus exclusively and this is one of the final pieces to the puzzle.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So I need solve image sharing from iOS.
My workflow since like ios5 has been just uploading to imgur through Safari.

I've been looking at dropshare [mainly it's share extension] for iOS and hooking it up to a some bandwidth I want to get from rackspace.. It seems a like a totally fucking killer way to handle it.

Anyone here done this?
I'm really making big strides into using the 6plus exclusively and this is one of the final pieces to the puzzle.

I just use the Paste+ widget's Imgur upload function, super efficient 1-tap upload from anywhere (based on what's in your clipboard memory) and it allows uploads to your own Imgur account as well. By default it copies the resulting Imgur link to your clipboard after upload, but it can be configured to open the image in Safari or otherwise save it elsewhere for later use too.
http://avaniolabs.com/pasteplus

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I will check that out!!! At least for in the interim, I'm kinda set on self hosting. 😎

Blackhead

Redarse
so... after the first few months what are your fave keyboards for the iPhone 5s, 6 or 6 plus? Or are you sticking to Apple's keyboard?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit.. Paste+ is not on the AppStore. I know there's been a lot of stuff going around about Apple disallowing widgets that call back to the app to complete actions...

My Drafts4 widget (the only one i use besides weather) is still there though.

Part of me actually agrees that conceptually the notification pane shouldn't become a secondary springboard, it's a muddy line.

I only have a couple extensions that I use but they're super ace. Pretty much just instapaper and afterlight are the only extensions I have. Dropshare soon.. Any one have any good extensions?

Also for the life of me I do not understand 1password and the people who use it. It feels like it's always waaaay more complicated to use than to just type your password.

No third party keyboards here. Haven't even really thought to try some out.. Arent they supposed to be weird and memory constrained? Idk. That doesn't really seem like something I'd be into.. Even the better organized emoji ones creep me out. I do search for split keyboard at least a few times a week though just because.

Spotlight is another headscratcher for me.. Sometimes it pulls AppStore results and wiki previews and other times it doesn't. I can't discern any pattern to its finickyness.

FerranMG

so... after the first few months what are your fave keyboards for the iPhone 5s, 6 or 6 plus? Or are you sticking to Apple's keyboard?

I use Fleksy 95% of the time. It's amazingly useful, and it has Catalan (and English) support.
When I have to type in Spanish, I use Swype. It's reaaally cool as well, works flawlessly.

I might try Swype full-time, but it lacks Catalan, which is in which I type most of the type, and also makes it difficult to access emojis.

I have also tried SwiftKey and the stock Apple keyboard. Both Fleksy and Swype are better.

Switching keyboards is a pain in the ass, though. Every keyboard has a different way to switch to the next one. It should be unified.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Oh shit.. Paste+ is not on the AppStore. I know there's been a lot of stuff going around about Apple disallowing widgets that call back to the app to complete actions...
Hm, yeah Paste+ seems to have been de-listed in international stores, it was still up in the US store yesterday when I checked though. Also still in my purchase history.

Also for the life of me I do not understand 1password and the people who use it. It feels like it's always waaaay more complicated to use than to just type your password.

I use 1Password daily, I find it super convenient actually with the Safari extension and in apps it's just a copy/paste situation. It's a small price to pay for having completely unique 20 character passwords that you don't have to remember for services, which if hacked/compromised, I only need to change that specific password. Since it also syncs seamlessly to both my PC desktop browser and regular PC usage via it's native app it's a win win to me. Another benefit is that if you sign up to something new, the browser extension automatically picks up on the user credentials and asks if you want to save those in the vault.

Bossniak

Any updates on the wifi issues on 5s? I had to replace my 5s with 8.1 because wifi was slow and not working sometimes. I got it replaced and been using 7.1.1 ever since and wifi working very good. Should I update and risk my wifi going to shit again?

mrkgoo

Any updates on the wifi issues on 5s? I had to replace my 5s with 8.1 because wifi was slow and not working sometimes. I got it replaced and been using 7.1.1 ever since and wifi working very good. Should I update and risk my wifi going to shit again?

I just updated my dad's 5S to 8.1.2 from 7.1.2. I've heard all the reports and fear it, but we'll see how it goes. Networking is such a bitch. Because it may nt specifically be an issue with the 5S hardware just a combination of, say, network protocols in conjunction with that hardware and older router software.

I can't stand people that insist something MUST be a problem in a particular area just because "it's not like that on other devices" or "wasn't like that before". I know it seems intuitive and logical, but it's not necessarily the case. For example, someone may complain that an issue that has just raised cannot be due to the liquid damage that occurred 8 months ago, because t was fine then, but that totally disregards slow corrosion that can have started that long ago.

When it comes to networking, many people rule out te router simply because "other devices are fine" but router software Is usually rarer to update to modern protocols and can have issues as newer devices DO get updated.

I'm just saying who knows where networking issues can lie - every update on anything in the chain of networking can bring up issues somewhere
Else in the chain that simply weren't before but t doesn't necessarily mean THAT device is the one with the issue.

LevelNth

Banned
I've been thinking about trading in my iPad 3 to get a new Air 2, as iOS 8 and the old 3 don't exactly play well together (and its almost 3 years old anyways).

Is that model still in demand secondhand enough for me to sell that way or are the trade in's at Best Buy and the like more worth my while ie. enough cash for being quick and effortless?

Ambitious

Workflow has finally been released: Official Website, iTunes

It's similar to Automator on OS X, a tool to automate workflows. You can execute them from within the app, but also from the standard iOS share sheet. In addition, it's even possible to put workflows on the homescreen.
It's pretty amazing, though I'm not yet sure what to do with it. To begin with, there's a gallery with ready-to-use workflows. Apparently, you can submit your own to this gallery.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, sounds interesting. Not sure when I'll the time to configure it but i just installed it.

Omnifocus and soundcloud just updated.

Edit: whoa workflow is full of fresh as hell animation that app is ALIVE

Diablos

So the new update is useless, and jailbreaking confirms it just as well apparently.

I use the 5c (don't laugh) and I've gotta say, ever since 8.1 my battery has been draining way too fast. I'm kind of pissed about that. They better address this soon.

mrkgoo

I'm on an iPhone 5 and I love it.

My battery has seen better days but as an old phone and new software kind of expected. It gets me what I need so no big deal.

I just don't expect to be anywhere above 30% by time I get home.

So, I'm all up in the new iCloud Photos Beta, but is there any way to JUST delete a local copy of a photo? I want to be able to take a picture, have it upload to the cloud storage, and then have the option to delete the copy, even the smaller copy, left on my phone, but it doesn't seem like that's possible?

cdViking

So new phone (replacement 5) won't connect to anybody's wi-fi out of the box, despite seeing networks, unless it's within super close proximity. Tried multiple channels on home router, tweaking router settings ad nauseum, doing the network setting reset, etc.

Possible I have defective hardware? Or am I victim to dreaded 8.1 issues? My reception is miserable at home, and I pretty much can't use Web functionality without wifi...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Workflow is something you really have to sit around and play with for a while. It's very powerful but requires some imagination.

I was fiddling with it while watching tv earlier and came up with this:
GkIXKFw.jpg
And it's AWESOME!!!!! Once you have a direct image link to post on gaf in your clipboard it's a two tap action to add quote and image tags to for Posting in gaf.

And that doesn't even qualify as scratching the surface. That's the most rudimentary thing ever.

Workflow is probably the most interesting thing happening on iOS right now.

Workflow is something you really have to sit around and play with for a while. It's very powerful but requires some imagination.

I was fiddling with it while watching tv earlier and came up with this:

And it's AWESOME!!!!! Once you have a direct image link to post on gaf in your clipboard it's a two tap action to add quote and image tags to for Posting in gaf.

And that doesn't even qualify as scratching the surface. That's the most rudimentary thing ever.

Workflow is probably the most interesting thing happening on iOS right now.

Yea it's really cool. :)
Do you know if its possible to get the camera to take a picture automatically without me having to press the trigger?

pronk420

Does ios 8 run ok on the 5c? I'm really thinking about getting one but a bit worried it will be slow. Also slightly concerned about what will happen with 9.

I'm not very familiar with ios upgrades and hardware refreshes but since they are still selling the iPad mini 1 and 5c it seems like they will have to support old hardware for a while

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does ios 8 run ok on the 5c? I'm really thinking about getting one but a bit worried it will be slow. Also slightly concerned about what will happen with 9.

I'm not very familiar with ios upgrades and hardware refreshes but since they are still selling the iPad mini 1 and 5c it seems like they will have to support old hardware for a while
It's perfect. The 5C is literally a better 5. Why wouldn't it work?

Hey guys, some help would be appreciated.

My aunt has a wi-fi iPad mini and sent us a picture of her tablet showing the "connect iPad to iTunes" screen and asked what that means. She said she was just using it normally until that screen appeared and she's used it regularly for roughly a year and a half now.

I've always understood it as the activation screen on iPhones, but seeing as this doesn't have a cellular connection, does anyone know what would cause that to show up on an iPad?

mrkgoo

Hey guys, some help would be appreciated.

My aunt has a wi-fi iPad mini and sent us a picture of her tablet showing the "connect iPad to iTunes" screen and asked what that means. She said she was just using it normally until that screen appeared and she's used it regularly for roughly a year and a half now.

I've always understood it as the activation screen on iPhones, but seeing as this doesn't have a cellular connection, does anyone know what would cause that to show up on an iPad?

Something failed and is basically asking to restore? Like maybe a failed update.

At a guess. For example let's say you try to update the OS but the download was corrupt or it failed to apply, I'm not 100 % sure but guessing it would show a "connect" to itune a screen. It's basically an iPad in restore mode.

pronk420

It's perfect. The 5C is literally a better 5. Why wouldn't it work?

I've seen some reviews say it lags, or that it does on the 5 but not the 5c. I thought the 5 and 5c had identical internals so that makes no sense. I'm torn between a cheaper 5 or a 5c. I'm also a bit worried about things becoming bad on ios 9.

mrkgoo

I've seen some reviews say it lags, or that it does on the 5 but not the 5c. I thought the 5 and 5c had identical internals so that makes no sense. I'm torn between a cheaper 5 or a 5c. I'm also a bit worried about things becoming bad on ios 9.
They're basically the same. 5C has an improved front facing camera and nearly negliilgably higher capacity battery. Of course, they're not IDENTICAL and maybe there are some other updated parts that does affect performance (you know attacents etc, MAYBE), but any changes I imagine would be negligible between the two.

Performance degradation on iOS9? I guess entirely possible, and has happened in the past. I find iOS 8 totally fine, not sure how they would overhaul the system for the next one that would degrad performance but the iPhone 5 was the first iOS device to have 1GB RAMS if they matters, but it's also the last to be 32-bit so there will potentially be a cut off there at some point.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I believe the 5C is virtually identical with slight bumps. For the most part they're basically the same thing.

I don't know how 9 will run but it should be fine. At least better than 8 is on the 4S. I think it'll be much better mainly because of the more RAM.

Ambitious

Take your iPad and rotate it to landscape. Open any site in Safari and tap on a textfield to make the keyboard appear. Tap the Share button.

imageqgut5.jpg

AngryMoth

So does anyone else get this really annoying bug in iPad Safari where pinch to zoom will sometimes fail repeatedly after loading a new page? Started being an issue for me since iOS8 update. Can be infuriating.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So does anyone else get this really annoying bug in iPad Safari where pinch to zoom will sometimes fail repeatedly after loading a new page? Started being an issue for me since iOS8 update. Can be infuriating.
I've found that Safari is buggy in general in iOS 8, even on the iPhone.

Can someone give me the lowdown on how WiFi works during standby on an unplugged ipad 2 with ios8? Like by default does WiFi shut off if the iPad is not plugged in or does it stay on? Or is it a blend where it wakes up for specific apple services like I cloud and email? I'm not finding good documentation on the web. Thanks!

Ambitious

When you copy the address of the currently opened website in Safari by using the Copy action from the share menu, you can't paste in into a GAF post. The Paste command just doesn't show up. Works fine in other apps, but also in Safari's address bar, of course. Also works fine if you tap the address bar and copy the address manually.

Why? That's so annoying.

mrkgoo

Can someone give me the lowdown on how WiFi works during standby on an unplugged ipad 2 with ios8? Like by default does WiFi shut off if the iPad is not plugged in or does it stay on? Or is it a blend where it wakes up for specific apple services like I cloud and email? I'm not finding good documentation on the web. Thanks!

Who really knows. I assume it does stay connected but I've seen the wifi logo blink into action while at home and waking my device.

Also, my iOS devices drop from the up address list from my router when they're asleep.

That said, they've been staying on since latest update so maybe they've been tweaking it a bit.

I imagine there's a fine balance between staying connected and battery life preservation.

RedSwirl

I still want to find a good app for resizing and resampling images, if one actually exists. I haven't found one yet that does this while also cropping therm.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When you copy the address of the currently opened website in Safari by using the Copy action from the share menu, you can't paste in into a GAF post. The Paste command just doesn't show up. Works fine in other apps, but also in Safari's address bar, of course. Also works fine if you tap the address bar and copy the address manually.

Why? That's so annoying.
I just tried it. That's weird. You can copy manually but that button doesn't let you. But if you try pasting into something else like Notes it works fine. WTF?

RdN

Guys, I'm having a weird problem.

I just got an iPad Air 2, and sometimes when I'm watching videos (netflix or on the web) or playing games, the sound simply goes out and doesn't come back.

I have to hold the Home button and close all apps for it to come back.

It seems to happen randomly and I can't pin point the cause.

Anybody ever seen or experienced this? Any ideas if it's a hardware or software defect or how to fix it?

Thanks.

Ambitious

Remember that one update which was supposed to fix the issue of the share sheet not memorizing the order of the app extensions? Well it didn't actually fix it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I still want to find a good app for resizing and resampling images, if one actually exists. I haven't found one yet that does this while also cropping therm.
Workflow dude. Workflow.

Who really knows. I assume it does stay connected but I've seen the wifi logo blink into action while at home and waking my device.

Also, my iOS devices drop from the up address list from my router when they're asleep.

That said, they've been staying on since latest update so maybe they've been tweaking it a bit.

I imagine there's a fine balance between staying connected and battery life preservation.

Thanks for this. If anyone has any more details please reply!

Vyer

Guys, I'm having a weird problem.

I just got an iPad Air 2, and sometimes when I'm watching videos (netflix or on the web) or playing games, the sound simply goes out and doesn't come back.

I have to hold the Home button and close all apps for it to come back.

It seems to happen randomly and I can't pin point the cause.

Anybody ever seen or experienced this? Any ideas if it's a hardware or software defect or how to fix it?

Thanks.

I'd probably see if you can swap it at an Apple Store if you have one near you. That doesn't sound familiar as far as any known bugs or software issues that I know of.

Top Bottom